(Topic ID: 50801)

The Simpsons Pinball Party (TSPP) Owners Club..... Members Only!!!

By kwiKimart

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,252 posts
  • 706 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 hours ago by Pinkitten
  • Topic is favorited by 327 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5056 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6529 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6498 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6490 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6491 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6488 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6489 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240129_174034 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240129_174044 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240129_174050 (resized).jpg
IMG_6018 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6024 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6023 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5983 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5977 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rickwh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#578 9 years ago

Joined the club last night! Excited! going over the pin today and it appears to be HOU with just one previous owner. Gonna read this whole thread for sure. But just wanted to say hello!

#581 9 years ago

I think i really really lucked out on this TSPP pin!!!!!

Bought it at auction on the low end of what ive read they would go for. Didnt get a chance to play it before, but watched as other non-pin peeps played right before the auction. No cabinet dings, playfield was a bit dirty, but nothing bad. Auction peeps didnt have the keys... So i decided to bid just basically going by the fact that all 5 flippers worked and were snappy... And garage door went up and down when supposed to...

Drilled out the lock today. Backbox keys and a few bucks in quarters in coin box. Balls stayed in trough through the transport.... Unopened goodie bag and manual in the cabinet. Some random stickers and a TSPP keychain plastic. Inside cabinet had some dust but was clean. Only one light bulb out (left sling GI). The original owners bill of sale for 4000 in 7/2004 was also in cabinet as well as the unpacking and setup instructions from the original box.

Cabinet artwork doesn't seem faded, but its hard to tell, i think the background characters are supposed to be kinda "grey" or out of focus. Forground simpsons family memebers look unfaded...

The biggest issue i had so far is that i couldnt get the backglass off. The foam padding had fused to the back of the back glass and it was stuck. Ended up prying it a little at a time up with a putty knife starting at one end of the speaker panel. Took a bit of patience.

I think it has the original batteries in it. They are off brand and are zip tied into the holder in the original factory location. I need to change them soon. But there is no sign of any corrision. Is it unheard of for these to be 11 yr old batteries? And still working?

Ill post some pics in a bit

#583 9 years ago
Quoted from J_Striker:

Im in now

IMG_2030.JPG 226 KB

Oooo. Nice flipper button armor!

#589 9 years ago

Heres some pics of my auction find from this weekend. Im happy to be in the TSPP club.

After drilling the lock out, I was pleasantly surprised at how clean and well kept this pin was. I spent some time going over the playfield with some N1 and shined her right up!

Got some parts list orders out to PBL, cliffy, and pinbits. (new rubbers, new coin door lock, etc)

And I ordered v5 roms from ebay
ebay.com link: itm

The only issues I have found so far are
-the corner of the treehouse ramp has a 1/4 inch hairline crack in it (Cliffy should cover it)
-the black side rail between the outlane and the shooter lane has some of the lamination/paint peeling up at the end.
-the trough eject into the shooter lane has some wear.

I'm pretty stoked!

20150123_210508.jpg20150123_210508.jpg
20150123_214627.jpg20150123_214627.jpg
20150123_214641.jpg20150123_214641.jpg
20150123_214711.jpg20150123_214711.jpg
20150123_222329.jpg20150123_222329.jpg
20150123_222342.jpg20150123_222342.jpg
20150123_222355.jpg20150123_222355.jpg
20150123_222418.jpg20150123_222418.jpg
20150123_222429.jpg20150123_222429.jpg
20150124_115048.jpg20150124_115048.jpg
20150124_115855.jpg20150124_115855.jpg
20150124_115932.jpg20150124_115932.jpg

#591 9 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Welcome to the club! That number of plays isn't accurate because your chip shows v4, which means it's been upgraded from the original version. When you change roms, everything gets erased. You have 1568 on v4.

Thanks for clarifying that. I know that happens on sam stern games, but didnt know about whitestar/chip upgrades. Good to know.

The date on the chip is about a year before this pin rolled off the line in july 2004 so i didnt know if stern would have been using v4 at that point? Also thought it was weird to have the zip tie on the batteries. Figured that was factory since i figure a home owner wouldnt put that back... Ihave so many unanswered questions since i dont know the history. Previous owner passed and thats why the family was having the auction.

#593 9 years ago

Heres a better pic of the shooter lane with the glass off.
20150126_070156.jpg20150126_070156.jpg

#594 9 years ago

The kwikemart plastic with a shake and a hotdog on mine has a plastic clip on it like it would hold a wire. I dont see that on other pics of this machine. Anyone else see this before?

20150126_070249.jpg20150126_070249.jpg

#602 9 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Those are the original batteries and I am willing to bet that the number of plays is accurate. They didn't keep shipping out all TSPP with the same code. they made the game for many years, and as new code came out, they shipped the game with that code.
That is actually a very clean/low use TSPP. Nice find...

Thanks! I think i was very lucky as well. Im gonna change out the batteries tonight. No need to zip tie them? I guess folding the head may make them pop out... I will definitely be moving them off the board or doing the nvram thing. Ive never messed with a board before though so not sure the best way to handle that.

But getting new batteries in there is def needed soon. Thats something u do with the game powered on right? So it doesnt loose the settings?

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks for everyones feedback!

#608 9 years ago

changed out the batteries. one of them did have some blue fuzzy "acid" on the negative end of it. After removing the batteries there was some of that stuff on the springs of the batter holder. I used a qtip and some vinegar to wipe/clean it off (saw that tip on youtube). Installed new batteries and all is good.

Hardest part was getting that damn stiff zip tie off. cutting it was no prob, but it was so stiff that it wouldn't feed back out through the slots in the board so I could get it out. had to loosen to of the grounding screws to allow some space for it to come out.

adjusted the switch on the upper right VUK as sometimes it would wait on ball search to notice a ball in there and kick it out. Got two balls in there tonight and man did it have a time trying to get that out.

#609 9 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

On this board, the solder points for the battery holder on the right. So if you put AA's in, all the weight is on the solder points on the right side. I'm sure that's why that have that clip with the zip tie going through.

That is true I did notice that the battery holder was only mounted on two points on the right hand side.

I figure its ok for now as I'll put the remote battery holder in soon.

#611 9 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

Be careful! I just did this on my LOTR. It had some corrosion on the terminal and the diode below it. Otherwise it looked clean. After further investigation it has completely rotten and eaten the legs of the socket where the ram chip is. Had to replace the socket. Make sure it did not go any further down.

Took your advice. Completely removed the cpu board from the machine and inspected it front and back. Even gently lifted the battery holder to look between it and the board. There is nothing corroded or anything at all. Everything looks clean. Glad it wasnt messed up for sure.

Buttoned it back up and even reinstalled a zip tie to hold my batteries in place and keep the weight of the batteries from stressing the two mounts/solder points to the board.

Thanks everyone!

#613 9 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

Good call. Better to be safe for sure. Those boards aren't cheap!

Best of all it worked when i put it back together again... Haha. First time handling a pinball board.

#614 9 years ago

Is it normal for the coil thats in the tv on the upper playfield to rattle something awful when it is activated? It seems to work just fine, but makes a horrible sound. Is there a fix for this?

#638 9 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Is it normal for the coil thats in the tv on the upper playfield to rattle something awful when it is activated? It seems to work just fine, but makes a horrible sound. Is there a fix for this?

I dunno if id call the a fix, but it did cut down on the rattle quite a bit.

So the part thats rattling is i guess what youd call the coil stop in the TV? From the pictures i see online and looking at the manual, there is a metal piece of the TV frame where the back side of the coil goes. that piece of metal rattled on my mavchine to make the noise..

To fix, i took a piece of dead ball pinball foam and stuck it on top of the tv where the coil stop is. Then i took a small zip tie and wrapped it around the coil and attempted to put aome force down on the metal thing so that it wound rattel

Played a few games with the glass for and you cant hear that annoying rattle anymore.

#639 9 years ago
Quoted from Frankenator:

I noticed on my friend's TSPP the machine was having the same "issue" as mine with the qwik-e mart rollover switch not registering on fast shots (which is most frustrating during a hurry up). A slow shot will register I've messed with bending the switch angle I might just replace it does anyone else have that problem?

Sorry if i missed the solution to this problem, but im having the same issue. Well actually mine seems worse. Fast or slow, shots going clock-wise around the quickymart loop seem to not register. But counter clockwise ones are a bit more likely to register.

In switc test my switch will register with my finger, but not likely wih the ball (fast or slow). On the underside the switch rollover wire isnt sitting up against the playfield on the opposite side of the switch. Others do have the end of the rollover wire pressed up againt the playfield. I did attempt to bend the rollover arm, but it didnt seem to help (maybe a little).

Is it just something that fails on TSPP. Seems a few peeps had same issue. Looks like ill be ordering me a couple of these soon.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=536

#653 9 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Sorry if i missed the solution to this problem, but im having the same issue. Well actually mine seems worse. Fast or slow, shots going clock-wise around the quickymart loop seem to not register. But counter clockwise ones are a bit more likely to register.
In switc test my switch will register with my finger, but not likely wih the ball (fast or slow). On the underside the switch rollover wire isnt sitting up against the playfield on the opposite side of the switch. Others do have the end of the rollover wire pressed up againt the playfield. I did attempt to bend the rollover arm, but it didnt seem to help (maybe a little).
Is it just something that fails on TSPP. Seems a few peeps had same issue. Looks like ill be ordering me a couple of these soon.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=536

Well i fiddled with my kwickymart rollover switch and i have it registering rollovers from either direction.
I think the basic problem was the wire loop attached to the switch arm wasnt sticking up enough. Also I noticed that the ball when coming around clockwise kinda pushed the switch over instead of down. Balls coming from the top/counterclockwise hit the rollover switch pretty much head on and would register more often.

To adress both issues, i removed the switch and used two pairs of pliers to slightly bend the wire loop so it is leaning a bit towards the top of the playfield. Also i bent it so it sticks up at a sharper angle into the slot.

This may seem obvious to others, but its my first time really fiddling with a switch like that, so i thought id post my solution.

#654 9 years ago

Installed cliffy protectors for the shooter lane, the moe loop, the center loop, and the tree house left loop. Also put some leds in hard to reach places while i had the upper playfield and left loops out.

For under plastic areas i used cointaker warm white frosted
For the lights under the clear lamps toward the back of the playfield, i used cointaker warm white retro.

#659 9 years ago

I used the premium non ghosting color matching on my met pro. They worked really good.

I was considering just using warm white frosted for the main playfield inserts on TSPP, though. Mostly because i have a bunch of them.

Some of the inserts are side mounted (upper playfield and headlights for the car). Id want to use flex head leds for those. So frosted everywhere, but the few side mounted ones would look weird if they has different intensities of light.

Ill probably wait till the next cointaker sell or promo rate and by that time ill have a purchase order layed out for how many of each base type and color to get. And just go with the premium non ghosting ones.

#660 9 years ago

Fellow TSPP owners, if you are looking for a good condition center metal ramp, I put one up for sale in the marketplace. It does have some blemishes on the ramp flap (which is available from marco), I just was too chicken to attempt to replace the flap myself. So I ended up ordering a ramp+flap from marco and installed it this weekend.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/17254

20150207_183048.jpg20150207_183048.jpg
20150207_183033.jpg20150207_183033.jpg
20150207_183052.jpg20150207_183052.jpg

3 weeks later
#682 9 years ago

The sockets in my TSPP are wood screwed into the bottom of the playfield. But they have a rubber oring between the playfield and the socket. Kinda strange to me. My newer sterns dont have the rubber in there, just the socket screwed to the playfield.

#686 9 years ago

http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/games/226/the/1561/The_Simpsons_Manual.pdf

Page 93 (numbered on document pages) has the garage door parts list.

#690 9 years ago

Welcome to the club! Found it on a google search

http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/515-7270-00.html

And this just expired marketplace add.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/archive/16476

Wish the expired stuff would say who was selling it...

#692 9 years ago

Can someone explain the rules relating to the bully targets.

To get the bully skillshot, dont you have to go through the kwikemart... So does that count as both a bulky and a kwikemart skill shot?

Is there a reward/mode for completing all three bullies a certain number of times?

Do they add to bonus x?

I know there is a tv mode that you are supposed to hit the bullies, anything else?

The reason i ask is cause i am suspect that the targets might need adjusted on my machine. They all work in switch test mode both by manually pressing them and by rolling a ball at them. But in gameplay they rarely get hit straight on, always bouncing off the garage door etc. i want to pay attention and see if they are working properly.

How hard of a hit should it take to register? Other than lighting the insert for that bully, what else should happen?

Rick

#695 9 years ago

Thanks for the info. Played a few games and it looks like things are working just as you guys said. Thanks!

#698 9 years ago

Sometimes i get balls coming down the monorail and they fall off the wireform. Not immediatley at the transition. They fall off after the first couple turns on the wireform. They fall off and either go back into the shooterlane or outlane. Sometimes the ball almost falls off and rolls down the right rail of the wireform before falling in and continuing down to the flipper.

Doesnt happen all the time, and it doesnt seem to have to be a fast ball coming down from the upper playfield.

Any suggestions for fixing?

Machine is level left/right and is set to correct pitch according to bubble level on playfield. I was thinking of maybe adding a couple washers to raise the lower part of the ramp so ball goes a bit slower?

#700 9 years ago

It doesnt seem bent. But i had it apart to put some new rubber in there. Maybe i didnt get it back in place correctly. Ill take another look. And maybe get a video.

1 week later
#706 9 years ago

I think that maggie then lisa, then bart etc, light up when you score a super jackpot during couch MB. I can usually light Maggie, and get Lisa flashing but then never seem to get the super again.

I dont know if this continues all the way to grandpa, or of the parents/grandpa mean something else?

But i definitely can verify that maggie lights up with first upper playfield super jackpot score during couch MB and lisa is next...

3 weeks later
#719 8 years ago

I got this from johnwartjr.

ebay.com link: Stern The Simpsons Pinball Party CPU and Display ROM Upgrade Set 5 0

May want to contact him to see if he could do the whole package.

#722 8 years ago

Ive seen some threads talking about adding a shaker to LOTR. But nothing much or at all about TSPP. Does anyone out the know if TSPP code supports a shaker? Anyone have one? Do you like it? Is it worth it?

#728 8 years ago

My machine had a zip tie and 3 connectors hooking the mini playfield harness to the lower playfield harness. I wrote numbers with a sharpie on each side of each connector as i disconnected them. Oddly there was one connector that both sides of it stayed with the upper playfield. It doesnt have to be disconnected to completely remove the upper playfield.

#733 8 years ago

If the wire leds at the base of the socket wrap around the bottom and back up the other side a bit, then you are probably ok with the led in either of the two positions (1 way or , rotated 180 degrees).

basically if the led has two pieces of metal showing on both sides of the wedge/555 base, then you are all set. Bulb will work either way.

#738 8 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

That shooter lane exit trail shows up so fast on mine, no matter how clean I try to keep the game! Drives me crazy!

Yep 5 or ten games in after a wipe down and the curved part of the shooter lane gets a ball trail started. Drives me nuts.

3 weeks later
#774 8 years ago

Why do i suck so badly at this game... Kicked my ass for 10 straight <10mil games yesterday. I walked away frustrated. Came back a bit later and put it on 5ball. That helped some but still im usually only getting 1 super jackpot a game (if that). Maybe 1 or 2 I&S mb, and 3or4 tv modes started. I can usually get 4 or 5 CBG hurryups completed.

Game just kicks my butt. Its challenging and very very deep rules. So this machine isnt going anywhere anytime soon.

Any strategies for keeping the balls out of the outlanes? Im not very good at nudging, i can recognize when im in trouble and heading for a draino, but nothing im doing to the machine seems to get it out of the outlanes.

3 weeks later
#811 8 years ago

has anyone ever replaced the black t-molding on the back box to the newer silver/chrome style of newer sterns. Sitting next to my Met Pro and TFLE the black trim kinda stands out and says "hey Im from 2004"... hehe

pics of TSPP with the chrome backbox molding?

Or is it my ADHD acting up that I want all the pins to look the same. hehe

#813 8 years ago

Awesome! I hope it looks great. Lemme know how much of a pita it is to switch out.

1 month later
#907 8 years ago

I used normal Not-non-ghosting in mine. Even with the non-ghosting, esp in attract mode, the flickering was bad. Definitely recommend the ledocd board. It is fantastic.

1 month later
#980 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Hey all... I am now a member of this club!
I just picked up an HUO very-low-play TSPP from the original owner. He was not a pinball guy... just a guy who wanted a machine in his rec room and he bought it new in 2008. The game is perfect and completely original.
I am wondering what the "must do" mods are... so far, this is what I have ordered or already completed:
New balls (even though the original balls are in great shape, it can't hurt, right?)
Stern Button Guard Side Rails (to protect the absolutely unfaded button areas)
Metal Cabinet Protectors (that go between the legs and the cabinet)
Cliffy Protectors (including the shooter eject protector)
Pinbits Itchy & Scratchy Protector
ColorDMD (my first one!)
That's all I have ordered so far. What else do you all recommend? I am going to be putting in LEDs, any gotchas with that one? Do I have to worry about flicker? I believe there is a Moe's sign mod? Is that still available? What else is there?
Thanks in advance,
Chad

I recommend a ledocd board if you are gonna led the inserts of TSPP. Board is awesome

2 months later
#1086 8 years ago

Any one else have problems with their Homer head turning? Mine seems bound on something. I started a separate thread

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-homers-head-wont-move

#1088 8 years ago
Quoted from akm:

Try to move it manually. It's just on a coil/plunger link combo similar to a flipper, so start there first.

Yep it moves manually just takes a bit of gentle pressure and makes a squeaky sound. Tight enough that spring doesn't pull it back after the coil moves it.
I need to investigate and determine if that squeak comes from the coil/plunger or the shaft/flipper bushing. Or something maybe jammed between playful and Homers neck.

1 month later
#1095 8 years ago
Quoted from jep:

Thanks for the suggestion, brad808.
Now I've found that the microswitch that detects the ball is in the slot for the upstairs kicker seems to have stopped working. Suspiciously timed with me taking the upstairs off and back on. The kicker still works fine during a ball search (which happens when it thinks it lost the ball that's sitting in that kicker), though. Didn't obviously knock something loose, but it seems odd that it would have just stopped working.

I had same thing. I just bent the wide fork end on the switch up a bit and the problem went away. It kinda a pita to get to. I ended up removing the kicker/switch assembly from the bottom side. But I think you could probably remove the upper playfield and get to the switch that way too.

2 weeks later
#1104 8 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Also just joined as got HUO TSPP.
Never have I played a game with so many shots on a table!
Not even close to understanding it yet.
In monorail mode I had the ball draining down the rail but it didn't seem to advance?

Monorail mode is
Drain from upper playfield
Shoot a lit shot
Drain from upper playfield
Rather rinse repeat.

Hope that helps

Enjoy!

1 week later
#1112 8 years ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

Just picked up TSPP yesterday- my first pinball machine! Looks like the start of a new addiction...

IMG_0163_(resized).JPG

Welcome!

#1116 8 years ago
Quoted from chadsugg:

Hey all, thought I'd give a heads up that the newest set of rule cards I've designed are for TSPP!
Feel free to download @
http://pinballboy.com/rulecards/tspp-v1

SimpsonsV1Pre_(resized).jpg

Looks great!

Not to nit pick, but thought youd want to know there is a typo on Daredevil line. It says "playfield shorts" instead of "playfield shots"

1 week later
#1121 8 years ago

Which flipper rubbers do yall have on TSPP

I replaced the tired factory red flipper rubbers when i got my TSPP with red super bands. I have superbands on my met pro and TFLE and they are nice. But on my TSPP i find it very difficult to control the ball (catch and cradle). It seems to bounce off the wire guide rails and the super bands and just stay out of control. Balls bounce off flippers and back up into the slings, balls rolling down the inlane even slow ones wont stop on the flipper bat etc.

After about a year of frustration, tonight i switched out to some new factory red rubbers and they were also bouncy, bout the same. Maybe a bit better. Then i swapped out to some purple rubber ones i had. Surprisingly they match the playfeild well and are a lot less bouncy. Dead flipper passes dont bounce back up into the slings, i can actually catch the ball more often.

So whats everyone use on their TSPP? Do you find it more bouncy than other stern pins, or is it just me and my imagination. Maybe i should jack the back legs up some to increase the pitch? Any ofher ideas?

#1128 8 years ago

Had an awesome game tonight.

During first couch MB i was down to two balls. All 3 drops were knocked down, and somehow i lucked out and one of the two balls came to rest on top of the row of drops and stayed there. So i was able to pretty much work in single ball play with the MB running. I was able to get 2 super jackpots (most ive ever lit) and was greedily working on the 3rd before the ball got knocked off the targets to continue real MB play.

Ended up making it to 5ball round of alien invasion (most i had ever done was 3 or 4 ball round). Wasnt able to complete invasion though. Tough fun mode.

Completed secret stash

Played scratchy's revenge (or is it Itchy's??). Is there a completion for this or just playing it. Ill have to reread bowens rule sheet. I didnt even know what to do in this mode. First time getting there.

Finally also played the backwards flipper button mode (name escapes me at the moment). Also dont know if there is a competion of the mode or just rack up points?

Pretty stoked! But follow up games have all been short ball draining. Imguess thats how it goes.

1 week later
#1190 8 years ago
Quoted from scottslash:

Mine has no washers on the posts supporting the upper playfield.

No washers here either. Upper playfield would/shouod be same level as lower playfield. Sounds like a previous owner was trying to make the couch shot harder by jacking up the top of the upper playfield?

1 week later
#1199 8 years ago
Quoted from Dangerzone:

First post on pinside... Tspp club.
Woot.
While we're on the subject.. Replacement plastics please
I have a bad slingshot plastic, would love a new one.

Welcome to the club and pinside

2 weeks later
#1225 8 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

Joined the club tonight

20160306_170309_(resized).jpg20160306_170243_(resized).jpg20160306_170239_(resized).jpg

Nice! I have my TSPP right beside my Met too.

3 months later
#1446 7 years ago

Garage can award couch ball locks and then the couch doesnt have to fill to start mb.

2 months later
#1674 7 years ago

The switch on the VUK in upper left needs adjusted and/or replaced so that ot consistently registers the ball sitting on top of it.

You can remove the upper playfield and see it from top. Or remove the mech from bottom and adjust it.

When you have the upper playfield off you can debug whats wrong with the garage center ramp.

There are 3 or 4 connectors under the playfield that i would label very carefully before disconnecting. I used a black sharpie and wrote 1 1 2 2 3 3 on the plastic connectors so it was dumb simple to know how it goes back together.

#1679 7 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Rick, thanks for the information on the VUK switch and how to access that. Does your garage ramp appear to slope upward from left to right like mine does in this pic? The company I bought the pin from says its normal but the performance of the ramp feels very inconsistent so I'm trying to figure out what the ramp slope is like in other TSPP games. Thanks all.

I sold my game a few months back. But i thought it looked slanted. There is a metal ramp and then a jump over a gap and then a plastic ramp the sends the ball around to the upper left corner. The front lip of that plastic ramp can often grt damage.

Cliffy makes some protectors for this game that i put on as soon as i got the game. There is one for the front edge of the plastic center ramp for sure.

If you take the upper playfield off it will be obvious if you have a problem.

Upper playfield come off fairly easy. Remove the backstop leds/bulbs on left, Loosen a couple black thumb screws near the upper flippers and it comes up. Like i said there are quite a few wires goign to that upper playfield. So take time.

Rick

#1700 7 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Good to know. Looking forward to pretending like I'm an expert when the tech shows up! Thanks again. -- Craig

Its good to know your limitations. Learn and ask questions without getting in the way or on the techs nerves. Esp while its under warrantee. No doubt the machine will need tweaks and fixes along the way after the warrantee period. You will learn by getting your feet wet and asking questions on pinside of course.

One word of caution on leds and TSPP. I didnt like them until i got the LEDOCD add on board. That is definitely the way to go. Not all machines need the LEDOCD but with TSPP its 100% needed IMHO.

#1727 7 years ago

There was a big discussion in this same thread over the last few days.

1 week later
#1771 7 years ago

I used regular CT super brights

Some/most sockets in upper playfield are mounted on side and not pointing up towards the insert. So you will want flex heads leds so you can aim the light upwards through the insert.

The big insert in the upper playfield i used a 2 headed flex head super bright led. So it lit the whole thing.

I dont have the machine anymore but it did make a big difference. Esp with LEDOCD

1 month later
#1939 7 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Screwed around with the TV coil today. Bent the brackets so that the coil was nice and snug. Verified that coil does NOT make sound when firing from the diagnostics. Listen to the God awful sound this thing makes: » YouTube video
Here are pics of the coil. Couldn't figure out how to get the plunger out of the coil or remove the coil from the bracket. Can anybody tell if the plunger is in upside down or not?

My tspp would make that exact sound. Horrific. I tried zipties and pinball dead foam on the coil stop. It helpped a bit. Kinda a hack.

Rick

#1945 7 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Thanks Rick. Do you have an explanation for why the sound is not made when testing the coil in Diagnostics? In diags it makes the faintest little click when firing the plunger. No buzzing at all.

I dont have an explanation other than a guess that the way the game pulses the coil in coil test mode is different frequency/duration as the way it happens in game.

#1946 7 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

I dont have an explanation other than a guess that the way the game pulses the coil in coil test mode is different frequency/duration as the way it happens in game.

I put my finger on the brass center part of tp of coil and could stop it from vibrating and rattling. So thats why i tried putting some dead ball foam on it to stop the rattling...

1 week later
#1972 7 years ago

Ball can get in there if just on drop is down.
All three drop down as the ball kicks out of the hole so it doesnt hit the back of the targets.

#2016 7 years ago

Clean it if its dirty lookin
Adjust the gap if the gap is too big so lighter hits to switch register

3 weeks later
#2077 7 years ago

Congrats that machine looks awesome

#2091 7 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Just finished a playfield swap to one that was done by HEP.

Love the blue flipper rubbers. Never considered that. Good choice.

Never done a playfield swap. For the metal wire ball guides. How do you get them out of the old playfield without damaging/bending them. Do you pre drill the new playfield or just hammer them in. How do you hammer them in without bending them. How do you get them at the proper height?

I know lots of questions... Sorry.

#2117 7 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

Yes that is exactly what is happening. The machine did a factory reset when switching out the roms, but I will try it again now that it is actually in place along with the NVRam. It ejects to my left flipper and my instincts tell me to hit the flipper button immediately as the ball is flying toward the flipper. I am working on not being so reactionary and this problem rarely occurs if I just let the ball bounce off the flipper. Thanks for the input.
Ill have to check on the I&S and Couch mb to make sure it is actually only kicking 4 out. It might be 5 I have a hard time counting them all with so much going on. Ill have to do it by hand with the glass off.

I dont have my machine anymore but with mine the ball would fairly consistently fire out of I&S and bounce right back into I&S if you did nothing.

#2143 7 years ago

Ill add ball screaming down ramp from upper playfield skipping off wireform and over the lane guides to the drain.

#2160 7 years ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

I am not really sure how to join this club, i started at the beginning of the thread...i guess I will start by saying I am in. I bought a HUO game a little over a year ago from a close friend- he had less than 100 games on it, and was going to move. we packed it up in the original box...and a bout a month before he moved ,i made and offer of $4000 for it. He cheerfully accepted. This will be as close as i will ever come to buying a NIB game.
I absolutely love the game, and play it every day. I have only completed 3 of the tasks to get to the wizard mode..Scratchy's Revenge,Secret Stash, and Daredevil Mania. I did it on factory settings. Does anyone know if there is a sequence of flipper hits to get to the puzzle screen to see what you have completed to get to the wizard mode. I have gone through the info by holding the flippers, but it never comes up other than when you immediately complete the task.
I hope that i am in this club.

100 play HOU from a buddy for 4k.

DEAL!

4 months later
#2487 6 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

I'm absolutely not an expert at all, but the first thing I would do is check the switches in the trough to see if they are all registering properly.

Agreed. Check the trough switches and examine the balls in the trough. Make sure the balls freely flow and stay down at lowest part of trough. Make sure the game recognizes them one at a time as you put them in trough. Try having all but one ball in trough and then take last ball and put it in trough from shooter lane side. The opto switch should recognize when there are two balls stacked at the trough exit.

In TSPP you essentially have a second trough up on the couch. So you need to check that in a similar fashion. (No opto)

3 weeks later
#2544 6 years ago

That never happened to me, but i agree with gottlieb, the flipper should knock that outta there.

2 months later
#2734 6 years ago
Quoted from johninc:

You need to clip the zip ties, then all will be revealed. All wires can easily be disconnected and reconnected. When you're done, secure the bundle with new zip ties.

It's been a while but I think I had to clip a large zip tie that had the knot of wires together. Not all the zip ties. Just 1 or 2.

When you put things back together you need to make sure the wire bundle is secured and out of the ball path in to the VUK in the back corner. As well as out of the way of the VUK itself. Redo zip ties if you need to.

1 month later
#2941 6 years ago

Deleted post as self sensor. Youtube post of simpsons tv show doesnt really pertain to TSPP directly.

#2947 6 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

I was gonna say... To this day our family watches every episode within a week or two of the air date and have watched through all the seasons more than once - and I've been watching since the Tracy Ullman Show. Even got scolded once for showing up at church in a Bart Simpson shirt as a high school kid. Still funny, still relevant. Older and smarter but hopefully we all are.
I'm curious to watch the video posted above but off the rails? No, really don't think so.

Perhaps off the rails was too strong of a phrase to use.

1 week later
#3017 6 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

Which LED kit do you guys think is the best—Comet, Cointaker, other? Is LED OCD with cheaper LEDs better than just going with non-ghosting and skipping the LED OCD? Thanks for your thoughts.

I bought color matching non-ghosting cointakers when i did a tspp conversion... didnt like it.

Got the LEDOCD board and cheaper color matched leds from cointaker that worked best for me

Tspp has lots of fading in and out effects esp in attract mode. LEDOCD just works.

2 weeks later
#3035 6 years ago

Yeah I agree, probably wires or something from upper play field blocking the balls path. When installing the upper play field the slack need to go down under the lower play field as much as possible. I had to re zip tie it afterwards to keep it out of the way down there too. Good luck.

4 months later
6 months later
#3634 5 years ago

Little notch on the chips should all point in same direction (down)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
Toys/Add-ons
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rickwh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-owners-club-members-only?tu=rickwh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.