(Topic ID: 50801)

The Simpsons Pinball Party (TSPP) Owners Club..... Members Only!!!

By kwiKimart

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,251 posts
  • 706 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by Gutterghoul
  • Topic is favorited by 327 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6529 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6498 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6490 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6491 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6488 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6489 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240129_174034 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240129_174044 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240129_174050 (resized).jpg
IMG_6018 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6024 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6023 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5983 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5977 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5974 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider el_barto.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5789 2 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

I know but I think having the head which sometimes talks during the game was a nod to Rudy (except it doesn't have eyes that move because of the obvious complexity/costs involved and also I believe that feature may have been patented by Williams and the patent was likely still in play in ~2003).

I know this is an old post to dig up, but it's an interesting bit of TSPP trivia and a feature I'd really like to see restored.

Back in the Usenet days, TSPP designer Keith Johnson used to post frequently in rec.games.pinball. He said Homer's head was originally designed to follow the ball around the table - whenever a target or switch was hit, Homer would look in that direction (I have no idea how they handled multiball).

It was indeed William's patent on Rudy - where Rudy's eyes track the ball around the table, that caused Stern to nix the idea for Homer. So Homer was nerfed from cool, almost but not quite unique feature into a sorta confusing element that may as well be static. That patent is more than 20 years old now, and I have no idea if whoever held it at the time renewed it or not, but it's fairly likely the patent has expired. Would be really cool if Stern released one last ROM update with Homer's head working as originally designed.

#5791 2 years ago
Quoted from RellikJM:

The mechanism is a flipper style mechanism that I'm guessing wouldn't allow for his head to track as I don't think you can get enough resolution from a flipper coil. I'm guessing it would have to be a stepper motor mechanism similar to the most secret machine hole on Willy Wonka.

That's an interesting point, I have no idea what the granularity was supposed to be, but probably better than simply right or left. I'm pretty sure on Funhouse they used 2 solenoids for Rudy's eyes, getting left, right and center. But a stepper would be a really good way to implement that. Either way though you're right, it's probably a bit more than just a ROM swap.

1 year later
#6780 1 year ago
Quoted from beltking:

September orders shipping now so three months!!!! Really needs help. I could so fix this business model and create a site that you can order. Take so much off his plate.

I spoke to him about the backlog a couple of months ago when he warned me about the current delay time. I mentioned sites that'll take your CAD drawing and laser cut it in your material of choice. He said the real time sink is in the bending, which makes a lot of sense. He mentioned he's tried hiring out work before, and had to re-bend pieces that others had done. What he really needs is someone that knows how to use a sheet metal brake, and can work to his standards. It's unfortunate that although his kids are capable of doing the work they just aren't interested.

#6782 1 year ago
Quoted from beltking:

My company has a laser knife cutter so you put the leather on a table and with the computer you tell it what to cut out. Was $200,000 machine. Don’t think cliffy will invest that but could pound them out quick. Ours is for leather but sure they have thin metal ones.

His problem isn't in getting stuff cut, he already does laser cutting (not sure if he owns the equipment or sends it out). The problem is bending it all after it's cut. Some of his parts have some complex bends (I've done a little sheet metal work before), I'm not sure there is a machine that could bend all his various parts without retooling for each part type, and anything beyond a good brake would be prohibitively expensive for a one-man operation.

Oh, one FYI - his current "complete set" for TSPP is different than the older ones - he's added an outhole protector and a 2nd piece to the shooter eject. If you get an old set those may not be included.

#6801 1 year ago
Quoted from Johnbeatle:

Ok not sure what I'm looking at. I've done some simple modding and led swapping but not much work with wiring. I looked up y switch for simpsons on Marco and I'm not seeing what I expected. I see this little guy next to the eject assembly. Is that what you're talking about?[quoted image]

That switch died on my TSPP, I don't think I had to pull the whole coil assembly to swap it out. The wiring was kinda tight on mine making it more difficult to resolder the wires, so while I had it apart I extended the wiring so I could get better access to the switch for future replacements.

2 weeks later
#6826 1 year ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Here’s where the game started. Joe sent me these pics.

What does the garage ramp look like - is there anything left of it??

1 week later
#6844 1 year ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Anyone have a source for the Homer head plate, plate #535-9198-00?
Or a way to repair it?
There has to be a lot of these in need of repair.
[quoted image]

Put a tack weld or two on the spot that should be flat, then use a dremel to shape it so it fits properly. The repair should last longer than the original since the weld filler (mig wire or welding rod) is harder than most non-hardened steels.

#6851 1 year ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Thought of that.
Decided to go this route instead.
Joe is checking with those at Stern to see if they still have some info on this piece.[quoted image]

It's cool to have the inside connection on parts like that. Would be interesting to see if they know what it'd take to restore the way Homer was supposed to work before potential legal issues squashed it (possible patent infringement with Rudy from Funhouse).

2 weeks later
#6905 1 year ago
Quoted from BioBa:

Does anybody know who sells the black plastic enclosed nut that holds the mini playfield down?
At the moment I am just using a regular nut.
[quoted image]

Those are called nylock nuts or nylon lock nuts. You can find them in most hardware stores.

#6909 1 year ago
Quoted from RellikJM:

The nut that is currently installed is a nylock nut. The factory original is a knob with a brass insert.

Completely forgot the stock ones are knobs, but knew something looked a bit off.

#6918 1 year ago
Quoted from lowndes8:

Awesome thank you. So it was made from 2003 to 2007?

Taken from here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-playfield-issues#post-335204

Here are the different runs:

Simpsons Pinball Party, The STP 2003/02 ~2,850
Simpsons Pinball Party, The STP 2003/10 600
Simpsons Pinball Party, The STP 2004/05 ~500
Simpsons Pinball Party, The STP 2005/06 ~400
Simpsons Pinball Party, The STP 2005/11 ~400
Simpsons Pinball Party, The STP 2006/06 ~350
Simpsons Pinball Party, The STP 2006/10 ~350
Simpsons Pinball Party, The STP 2007/07 ~350
Simpsons Pinball Party, The STP 2008/11 30
Simpsons Pinball Party, The STP 2009/12 ~70

According to the PPG, there were 5900 made

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com
Shooter rods
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
Boards
PinSound
Boards
7,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fallston, MD
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
7,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
Led

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider el_barto.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-owners-club-members-only?tu=el_barto and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.