(Topic ID: 50801)

The Simpsons Pinball Party (TSPP) Owners Club..... Members Only!!!

By kwiKimart

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,283 posts
  • 710 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 22 hours ago by sllerts
  • Topic is favorited by 331 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7854 (resized).jpeg
63C0A1C8-924E-4AA5-8A66-A3C65298F62E (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 10.11.55 AM (resized).png
CD446378-C181-45FD-8BB1-987240C63FC1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0390 Copy (resized).jpeg
IMG_0391 Copy (resized).jpeg
IMG_0393 Copy (resized).jpeg
IMG_0399 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5056 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6529 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6498 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6490 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6491 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6488 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6489 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240129_174034 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider calgark.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6683 1 year ago

Hi all,

I've been in the club a few months now (still lurking my way through all 134 pages of this thread!) with a really sweet HUO game in excellent, but virtually stock, condition. One small but critical flaw is a tiny crack in the garage ramp that keeps causing stuck ball syndrome. I've got Cliffys on order to fix that issue and since I'm going to be ripping it apart to install those I thought I might as well LED the whole thing (whole game is still original incandescent except colour changing LEDs in the cooling towers). I'm getting everything from comet, including the LED OCD board. Does anyone have an opinion whether the gizmo board is necessary for the GI or if the OCD board for inserts alone is good.

So my question for you all is about bulb counts. I've searched through the forums and can't find any definitive answer for specific bulb counts and insert colour counts. , and I *think* I'm ordering enough bulbs, but the manual indicates there are 72 #555 bulbs in the game. After adding up everything I'm at 67. Can anyone clue me in to what I'm missing?

Here's what I've got so far.

Inserts: ordering all comet frosted #555 2SMD 2835 bulbs.
green x 4
orange x 14 (using pink bulbs for the orange inserts, anyone have good/bad experience with this?)
red x 4
blue x 5
purple x 4
yellow x 11 (using warm white for this)
white x 14 (cool white)

Spotlights x 5 (using opmax sunlight)

There are 9 flashers I can see. I'm only getting one big-ass 13SMD warm white for homers head and leaving the rest the stock bulb to prevent blinding.

GI is ~50 #44/47 sunlight bulbs, I also getting the 2SMD 2835 bulb for these.

So four inserts (headlights and homer in the pops) are #44/47 and the rest appear to be #555. The #555 bulbs for the inserts and spotlights count up to 61. 2 more in the cooling towers, 1 in the other pop, 2 in the coin door, 1 in the start button makes 67... where are the 5 bulbs I'm missing? I think it would be good to have a comprehensive count of bulbs in this thread for anyone looking to LED their game without getting a prefab kit. I'm assuming adding 7 sunlight #555 bulbs should cover my ass, but if anyone can see something important I'm missing I'd love to hear it! I plan on adding 1-2 extra of each bulb as insurance anyway.

#6685 1 year ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

Personally I discovered that color matching LEDs often produces odd results (insert is different color than anticipated). After LEDing a few games I switched to just putting the white comets in all my inserts and then deciding after playing the game a bit if anything needs color matched. I’d say I only color match a half dozen inserts at most using this method. Your opinion and color decisions may be different…
As for the GI - no need for the OCD board. You only need it on the controlled lights in my opinion. Games like Funhouse or Addams Family dim the GI for certain features but I never noticed GI dimming in Simpsons.
Consider adding some Titan rings if you are ripping the game apart too.

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated! I have read the whole range of opinions about matching inserts vs using white so I'm probably going to order both and see which I prefer. I'm ordering from Canada so we're kind of nailed by bigger and bigger shipping costs up here. Best to do it all at once.

I hear you about the titans and will give it serious thought even though the current ones are still are really good (but stock). The problem is deciding where to stop. If I get titan rubbers then I should probably get every mod Sparky makes too because they're so awesome and I'm tearing down the game anyway. Add the colour DMD and I'm on my way!! ...just need to figure out which organs to sell in order to finance it all. haha

#6687 1 year ago

Everyone has an opinion…. but I feel like things which enhance the game and help with maintenance are priority. Titans last longer and I like how they make the game play (personal opinion). They also don’t result in rubber dust and dirt so they add value there. NVRAM is another great cheap add because it saves money on batteries and protects your expensive board from battery leaks.
I personally don’t put the toys on my games. Save that money for your color dmd and make all the toys the last investment (if ever).

Totally agree. NVRAM was put in as soon as I could get it ordered. I do love the TV and treehouse mods, but DMD is definitely much higher up the list. I'm not sure if I'll ever get rid of tspp so I'll get around to it all eventually.

#6689 1 year ago

I never understood that TV add on. This game features a TV on the playfield already integrated into the game. A second TV outside of the living room just seems out of place to me.

I like it because (in my opinion) it physically matches the aesthetic of the game and the show and it's an interesting bit of animation in a relatively static game. I think it ties itchy and scratchy into the game better than the toys do and it creates a connection that draws people in. It feels like something that should have been there all along, instead of an addition.

#6697 1 year ago

Just ordered a full Titan set with the low bounce flipper rubbers. Will be interesting to see how it compares. Might play some games with original rubber on one flipper and low bounce Titan on the other. That's legit science right?

1 week later
#6705 1 year ago

indypinhead , do you still make the plastic protectors for TSPP? I'd be interested in grabbing a set if you do.

1 week later
#6712 1 year ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Yes, I still have a few sets left.

Protectors arrived yesterday. I'm still waiting for Cliffys to arrive before tearing too much of the pin apart but I installed the easy lower ones. They were a perfect fit, well machined and the holes were in better locations than the ones in the actual plastics.

Thanks again, it's a great product!

1 year later
#7133 5 months ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Joining the club soon! Gonna mod this one out heavily. What’s your favorite mods…besides the nuclear rails and color DMD.

I'll second that LED OCD is a must if you LED your game.

Besides that, I found that replacing the fluorescent tube with an LED one made a huge improvement. It is mostly because the LED tube only has lights on 1 side, not all the way around. By flipping the tube around so the LEDs shine in towards the boards (not out towards the translite) it 1) illuminates the translite much more evenly and 2) significantly reduces glare on the playfield glass.

I got mine from Marco but they don't seem to list it any more. Found a similar one at Action Pinball. Just a heads up, you need to bypass the fluorescent starter and ballast but instructions for that come with the LED and it's easy to do.

https://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=FLUOR_24_LED

#7142 5 months ago
Quoted from GoldenBear:

So CT non ghosting would be close to regular LEDs with LED OCD board?

To the best of my knowledge non ghosting bulbs wouldn't ghost... but they also can't "ramp" up and down in brightness like LED OCD or incandescents. They are still just LEDs that are either on or off with nothing in between. Not the best choice for this pin because it has a tonne of ramping bulb effects with the inserts. The OCD board also doesn't work well with non ghosting bulbs so you can't really add it later if you go the NG route.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 218.00
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
$ 18.95
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

6,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 16.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider calgark.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-owners-club-members-only?tu=calgark and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.