(Topic ID: 50801)

The Simpsons Pinball Party (TSPP) Owners Club..... Members Only!!!

By kwiKimart

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,278 posts
  • 709 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by allsportdvd
  • Topic is favorited by 329 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7854 (resized).jpeg
63C0A1C8-924E-4AA5-8A66-A3C65298F62E (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 10.11.55 AM (resized).png
CD446378-C181-45FD-8BB1-987240C63FC1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0390 Copy (resized).jpeg
IMG_0391 Copy (resized).jpeg
IMG_0393 Copy (resized).jpeg
IMG_0399 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5056 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6529 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6498 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6490 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6491 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6488 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6489 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240129_174034 (resized).jpg
There are 7,278 posts in this topic. You are on page 91 of 146.
#4501 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Bad switch. Put game in switch test mode and move the switch with your hand from under the playfield. Replace the switch.

Thank you! Is the switch easy to replace? Solder required?

#4502 4 years ago
Quoted from BigSilverPin:

Thank you! Is the switch easy to replace? Solder required?

I have had an issue with this same switch, but it was just a manipulation of the yoke on the switch. I wonder if sometimes when there are 2 balls in this VUK that the Y lever attached to the switch- that the ball sits in to activate the switch, may get bent and it just needed to be bent back so that the ball activated the switch. As I recall the whole VUK assemble comes off the playfield with 4 wood screws and disconnect the molex connections for the switch and coil- piece of cake .

detail (resized).jpgdetail (resized).jpg
#4503 4 years ago

Nevermind! I took out the assembly and bent the y switch up with my hand to make it sit higher. Works fine now! Thank you Lermods and everyone else, I dont know what I'd do without this community sometimes

#4504 4 years ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

I have had an issue with this same switch, but it was just a manipulation of the yoke on the switch. I wonder if sometimes when there are 2 balls in this VUK that the Y lever attached to the switch- that the ball sits in to activate the switch, may get bent and it just needed to be bent back so that the ball activated the switch. As I recall the whole VUK assemble comes off the playfield with 4 wood screws and disconnect the molex connections for the switch and coil- piece of cake .[quoted image]

Just saw this, thank you!

#4505 4 years ago
Quoted from BigSilverPin:

Nevermind! I took out the assembly and bent the y switch up with my hand to make it sit higher. Works fine now! Thank you Lermods and everyone else, I dont know what I'd do without this community sometimes

You are welcome, glad I could help and you got it fixed!

#4506 4 years ago
Quoted from sgorsuch:

I have had an issue with this same switch, but it was just a manipulation of the yoke on the switch. I wonder if sometimes when there are 2 balls in this VUK that the Y lever attached to the switch- that the ball sits in to activate the switch, may get bent and it just needed to be bent back so that the ball activated the switch. As I recall the whole VUK assemble comes off the playfield with 4 wood screws and disconnect the molex connections for the switch and coil- piece of cake .[quoted image]

if you're going to have a flakey switch its these "Y" switches, hate em!

#4507 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Bad switch. Put game in switch test mode and move the switch with your hand from under the playfield. Replace the switch.

Mine had the same problem, but if i hit both flippers at the same time it would trigger it for some reason. I replaced the switch and its fine now.

#4508 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

You are welcome, glad I could help and you got it fixed!

thanks for the willy wonka mods as well! looks like they will be here today

#4509 4 years ago

Hey guys. At Expo, I purchased a Cliffy ramp protector set (along with one for the shooter lane, but I already have that taken care of).

So they go on the Moe's, Treehouse, and Garage ramps...can anyone please share their experience/tips when installing these protectors? Thanks.

20191023_094917 (resized).jpg20191023_094917 (resized).jpg
#4510 4 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

if you're going to have a flakey switch its these "Y" switches, hate em!

Yeah, they are problematic. If you have a game like TSPP that uses them...just order a few to have around as spares.

#4511 4 years ago

I just got a Nvram but I dont know how to install it.
Do I just remove the current chip and put that one, turn the game back on ?
And does it erase the scores and settings ?

#4512 4 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

I just got a Nvram but I dont know how to install it.
Do I just remove the current chip and put that one, turn the game back on ?
And does it erase the scores and settings ?

It should be as simple as you mention. Old one out, nvram in. And yes, your old scores and settings are gone.

Don’t forget to take the batteries out! Otherwise there is still the danger of leaking.

#4513 4 years ago

And just make sure you face the chip the right way. The notches should match up.

#4514 4 years ago

Joining the club 3 weeks from now (after Houston Expo) and wanted to see what spares people typically stock for TSPP, outside the normal stuff like coil sleeves, etc.

Thanks in advance!

#4515 4 years ago

Thing is built like a tank, never stocked anything but balls and rubber replacements.

#4516 4 years ago
Quoted from mjs2:

Thing is built like a tank, never stocked anything but balls and rubber replacements.

Same here. Game is rock solid.

#4517 4 years ago

A couple of those crappy “Y” switches went bad on mine. Those are flaky so you may want to have a couple of extras on hand. Otherwise, I’ve had no issues.

#4518 4 years ago

New owner here! Couple of questions and comments. I love the game, jam packed and enjoy the theme and play. Buuuuut “Doh frenzy” or whatever it’s called has to be the most annoying mode I have ever played on any game, wish I could turn just that down as Im to the point that I’ve turned down the sound simply because it irks me that much. Second thing is I eventually will put this game on route when I’ve had my fun, I’ve seen a few post for start button protection and it seems the only viable option is Mylar. What about putting a generic start button on that’s not recessed maybe with some felt behind the face as not to dig into the paint? Then when I pull it off route and put it back into my collection I can just put the original button back on.

#4519 4 years ago
Quoted from C_Presley:

...I love the game, jam packed and enjoy the theme and play. Buuuuut “Doh frenzy” or whatever it’s called has to be the most annoying mode I have ever played on any game, wish I could turn just that down as Im to the point that I’ve turned down the sound simply because it irks me that much.

Are you a fan of The Simpsons TV show? I think Doh Frenzy is one of the funniest modes ever

#4520 4 years ago
Quoted from netman63129:

Are you a fan of The Simpsons TV show? I think Doh Frenzy is one of the funniest modes ever

Agreed I enjoy it! To each their own though

#4521 4 years ago

Oh I’m a huge fan, not as big a fan as I am of king of the hill but unfortunately there’s no pin for that. I get different strokes for different folks but after the 1000th doh I’ve had enough haha.

#4522 4 years ago

Tspp owners

Question

Does anyone have an led kit list available ? Want this game to sparkle

Also Any suggestions on what is the optimal settings for modes and IS drops etc

Or if there is a page in this massive thread lmk

Thanks

#4523 4 years ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Tspp owners
Question
Thanks

Just use the same 2-LED clear domed cool whites that Stern uses on their games. They distribute light very well. It’s not as spotty as my pics look. However, use warm whites under the orange ramps so they look nice. Cools make them look goofy. I did use one frosted dome under the orange ramp to the left of Homer’s head. It’s in that perfect eyeliner spot that will annoy you with a clear dome LED...so, frosted there. The rest are covered by plastics well enough.

For inserts, don’t color match!!! Use cool whites under green, blue & white. Warm white under red, yellow and orange...and the middle family character inserts. This will bring out the natural color of the inserts beautifully. Use pink under the pink/purple inserts like Bart modes. I used the premium non ghosting flat top dome style, but painted the top white to diffuse the LEDs. I preferred this over frosted. Frosted changes the color temp slightly. White paint pen on top of the flat dome doesn’t.
ED1344AD-DA6F-4287-A71A-3276EB999929.jpegED1344AD-DA6F-4287-A71A-3276EB999929.jpeg157E93FC-1A16-45CB-936B-C203AEC3F537.jpeg157E93FC-1A16-45CB-936B-C203AEC3F537.jpeg273117C6-DD85-45D2-83A5-DEB105F59A29.jpeg273117C6-DD85-45D2-83A5-DEB105F59A29.jpeg1FC1A6FE-31B3-4409-B968-567F71D8440B.jpeg1FC1A6FE-31B3-4409-B968-567F71D8440B.jpeg2DC1279A-9C2E-4003-B321-EF11417A5C19.jpeg2DC1279A-9C2E-4003-B321-EF11417A5C19.jpeg903260C4-A1D9-4D2F-8790-D1FCFF79C50F.jpeg903260C4-A1D9-4D2F-8790-D1FCFF79C50F.jpeg

#4524 4 years ago

Use comet frosted in most of the GI, in the inserts, color match the bulbs, if you just use white some of the colors are washed out.
Yellow inserts should get orange bulbs.
I'd do orange under the ramps too.
Forget kits, they are over priced sub par bulbs.

#4525 4 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

Use comet frosted in most of the GI, in the inserts, color match the bulbs, if you just use white some of the colors are washed out.
Yellow inserts should get orange bulbs.
I'd do orange under the ramps too.
Forget kits, they are over priced sub par bulbs.

Ignore this. Don’t color match. The color of the inserts are their own color and look great with proper warm or cool. Only pink/purple benefit from colored LED.

Don’t use frosted in GI unless it’s directly in your eyeline.

Don’t use orange under the ramps. Use warm white - they’ll make the orange of the ramp really orange, but won’t orange bomb the playfield...you’ll get the benefit of an orange ramp and white GI.

#4526 4 years ago
Quoted from C_Presley:

I’ve seen a few post for start button protection and it seems the only viable option is Mylar. .

Here is my prototype for a start button protector

IMG_20191028_190241 (resized).jpgIMG_20191028_190241 (resized).jpg
#4527 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Ignore this. Don’t color match. The color of the inserts are their own color and look great with proper warm or cool. Only pink/purple benefit from colored LED.

"Ignore this" is a bit extreme of a response.
I just did it recently.
Took some experimenting. But I had quite a few colors on hand and i'm pretty confident colors in the inserts looks better.
But if you have a different opinion, that's fine and all, but suggesting to ignore someone else's post comes off pretty rude.
Reds may not of needed it, but at some point it's just easier to do all the colors.

#4528 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Don’t use orange under the ramps. Use warm white - they’ll make the orange of the ramp really orange, but won’t orange bomb the playfield...you’ll get the benefit of an orange ramp and white GI.

Curious why you feel to not use frosted in GI? imo using clear lenses gives you hot spots through the plastics?

Quoted from Twister:

Here is my prototype for a start button protector [quoted image]

Definitely interesting, seems a bit too 3D for me but definitely interesting. How does it mount?

#4529 4 years ago
Quoted from mjs2:

Quoted from Lermods:

Same here. Game is rock solid.

Quoted from Spelunk71:

A couple of those crappy “Y” switches went bad on mine. Those are flaky so you may want to have a couple of extras on hand. Otherwise, I’ve had no issues.

Thanks, all! I did have the Y switch on my short list of stuff to buy. I'm "only" on page 50 or so of this thread, so still more reading to do.

#4530 4 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

"Ignore this" is a bit extreme of a response.
I just did it recently.
Took some experimenting. But I had quite a few colors on hand and i'm pretty confident colors in the inserts looks better.
But if you have a different opinion, that's fine and all, but suggesting to ignore someone else's post comes off pretty rude.
Reds may not of needed it, but at some point it's just easier to do all the colors.

LOL sorry to be so blunt, but it came right after my writeup and I was like "c'mon" ...

But seriously, I've seen LEDs from the moment people started using them in pinball, and it's been a bumpy ride of horrible light spread & color bombing...and when I finally realized it could be done right, I became an LED convert...many local hobbyists have seen my LED jobs in person and love them, even if they were LED haters.

I reject your confidence that colors look better in inserts as a blanket way to do it...perhaps some games it may look better...but inserts are like gems - they have a really lovely natural color that incandescents do not bring out, but a correctly placed warm or cool white LED will make look brilliant. For instant on this game...cool white on the blue I&S inserts result in a beautiful sky blue...but if you use blue, you get a harsher more artificial "LED" blue.

My method results in a brilliantly colored game from color temperature, not color blasting.

Quoted from C_Presley:

Curious why you feel to not use frosted in GI? imo using clear lenses gives you hot spots through the plastics?

So, even incandescents will result in a hot spot, that's just the nature of the distance from the light to the plastic. When LEDs started, hot spots were bad because the LED only pointed directly up. You had a hot spot and no spread - resulting in games actually being darker! The modern 2-LED with domes that Stern uses have a wonderful light spread...so yes, you'll get a traditional hot spot, but also great light spread. A frosted bulb might mellow the spot, but also it will reduce spread...I also don't like the color temperature that frosted domes give off...it just makes the game seem more artificial looking and less true and vibrant.

#4531 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinstym:

Anyone ever have this happen?
Turn on game. Says 5 balls missing. Starts countdown and shoots some balls out to the pf.
Countdown gets to 0. Game goes into attract mode.
Press start. I think no ball in shooter lane. Left flipper is controlling the drop targets, right flipper moves Homer's head and the itchy scratchy kick out. There is also some weird vibrating sound coming from the boards. Like a pattern.
Weird as hell.
Turn game off. Reseat connector at ball trough (because of the 5 ball missing message). Make sure all connectors in head pushed in. Push on all the chips...the nvram.
Turn game back on. 5 balls missing, etc. But at end of countdown I press start and game starts.
I think all is well. I'm having a good first ball, But all of a sudden a ball gets pushed into shooter lane as I play. Pressing flipper buttons starts to alternate from controlling flippers to controlling the drops and Homer's head like before.
I've never seen anything like this.

This ended up being the small ribbon cable that goes between the CPU and driver board.

Thanks.

#4532 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I’ll take everyone suggestion and appreciate everyone’s help

#4533 4 years ago

Tspp owners
Question
Thanks

all white is all you need. I use frosted in the gi, knocks down the" blindness to the eyes" effect you get on some of the newer sterns. comet 2smd sunlights are all I use on all my games. ive tried many others, nothing else compares in my mind. if you want to color match, then do it, but no need to on most games. Occasionally you will get a color that looks funky with whites (red inserts on tron look pink) but 90% of the time you'll be fine. everybody is different, some like the way the new sterns come out with clear bulbs in the gi's, I personally hate it. Rare hero and Jcar both have their way and im sure they are happy with the final outcome...... neither is wrong. Just easier to buy a bunch of whites then trying to figure out how much of a certain color you need. Keep it easy at first, then adjust as you go.

#4534 4 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Occasionally you will get a color that looks funky with whites (red inserts on tron look pink)

Tron has pinkish inserts. They’re not the standard red color.

#4535 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

LOL sorry to be so blunt, but it came right after my writeup and I was like "c'mon" ...

We view bulbs very different ways.
I see how they look as an opinion, you see them as a fact.

Just to be clear, I rarely use colors on any machine.
For a while it was all 4smd whites, but if they can be seen, they are blinding.
That's why the switch to frosted.

I put all white in the simpsons and IMO it make the inserts look washed out.
I'm not really concerned with what they were supposed to look like 15 years ago, considering led's weren't used in pins back then.
Many people like the inserts to really pop with color and the matching in this particular case does.
For me, it's an improvement, but you seem to more of purist, which is ok.
Just remember, the person that asked the question said he wanted it to sparkle, not look factory original.

I did the whites under the ramps, they over powered the original color of the ramps.

I'm not suggesting recoloring the entire machine (which I have done and then undone on other machines).
Just some strategically placed color bulbs.

For example, those blue itchy and scratchy inserts in your pics, that's exactly why I changed them.

#4536 4 years ago

Tspp owners
Question
Thanks

I recently did mine with cool white LED's from Comet. I prefer frosted especially for any that are directly seen. I started to color match all the inserts but didn't like how it was looking so I just used white. I did use purple on a few of the purple inserts. I keep a lot of LED's on hand, so I ordered 50pc bag of cool white for 47 bulb and 555 wedge bulb. As far as flashers go, I find the LED flashers are super bright. I sometimes like the incandescent flasher better because it's not so blinding. Up to you and your tastes. I would say make all the flashers consistent either all LED or all incandescent. Have fun with it and make it what you like.

#4537 4 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

We view bulbs very different ways.
I see how they look as an opinion, you see them as a fact.

Of course it’s all subjective. However, I see so many LED people suggesting color matching as the only way to go, so lots of people do it. I personally feel if people do that as a “rule”, that it makes games look harsh. It’s worth exploring using the varying color temperature of warm white and cool white to see how it brings out the natural colors. For example the blue inserts in my Addams looked shitty with white, so in that case I went with blue LED. Family Guy has a lot of clear or yellow inserts that look better color coded, so I used red on jackpots, green on Seamus, orange on Extra Ball, red on Death. I used a color changer on Skill Shot.

Anyway - you do you, it’s all good - I just wanna put it out there that color matching isn’t a necessity and neither are frosted bulbs. Colors sparkle & pop with my method.

C7D1D915-6CE2-4022-AC4F-09E260910500 (resized).jpegC7D1D915-6CE2-4022-AC4F-09E260910500 (resized).jpegBBF7D310-F214-4C71-8456-D2BCFBEEB91B (resized).jpegBBF7D310-F214-4C71-8456-D2BCFBEEB91B (resized).jpeg80BB9A2E-4255-4355-933B-1A9B905D7B95 (resized).jpeg80BB9A2E-4255-4355-933B-1A9B905D7B95 (resized).jpegBBD78BA0-8480-4531-BF08-E9EFAE001CD1 (resized).jpegBBD78BA0-8480-4531-BF08-E9EFAE001CD1 (resized).jpeg
#4538 4 years ago

Trying to get my head wrapped around the rules, so starting to cook up a JP-style rules flow chart for TSPP. This is almost entirely based on Bowen's rule sheet.

Let me know if you see any glaring omissions or have suggestions for improvements.

Still need to flesh out the "Other Scoring" portion, but decided part of the way in that if I put scoring stuff in here, it would be even more crazy!

TSPP Rules.pdfTSPP Rules.pdf
#4539 4 years ago
Quoted from cjchand:

Trying to get my head wrapped around the rules, so starting to cook up a JP-style rules flow chart for TSPP. This is almost entirely based on Bowen's rule sheet.
Let me know if you see any glaring omissions or have suggestions for improvements.
Still need to flesh out the "Other Scoring" portion, but decided part of the way in that if I put scoring stuff in here, it would be even more crazy![quoted image]

Sweet Jesus that chart is so pretty I almost cried! Look how deep this game is! Omg

#4540 4 years ago
Quoted from cjchand:

Still need to flesh out the "Other Scoring" portion, but decided part of the way in that if I put scoring stuff in here, it would be even more crazy![quoted image]

This is freakin' awesome!

#4541 4 years ago

I so needed this....can't keep the rulz straight in this game...going to print this out and keep it handy

#4542 4 years ago

Great chart! I’m still new to the game. Do you have to complete all the tv modes or just start them to get to Alien Invasion?

#4543 4 years ago
Quoted from wayinla:

Great chart! I’m still new to the game. Do you have to complete all the tv modes or just start them to get to Alien Invasion?

Just start them. And they all stack so - you could theoretically start one, relight with right orbit, get back up to TV to start another, repeat until you get to Alien Invasion!

#4544 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Just start them. And they all stack so - you could theoretically start one, relight with right orbit, get back up to TV to start another, repeat until you get to Alien Invasion!

Thanks! I thought so. So should the chart be updated to show “Start or Complete All TV Modes” to get to Alien Invasion?

#4545 4 years ago
Quoted from wayinla:

Thanks! I thought so. So should the chart be updated to show “Start or Complete All TV Modes” to get to Alien Invasion?

Yes, but each completed mode adds time to alien invasion.

#4546 4 years ago

Simple rules question - when I get the couch multi-ball going, I know one of my goals is to get balls back up to the couch and light up the characters on the lower playfield. I got the first one flashing, but based on the rules I've seen online I'm not totally sure what I need to do at that point to get it to remain lit throughout the rest of the game.

Thanks in advance!

#4547 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

or play on easy and for the first AI just catch the ball coming out of the TV and shoot it right back in to start all the modes haha

after that though, it requires the orbit shot

#4548 4 years ago
Quoted from opt_prime:

Simple rules question - when I get the couch multi-ball going, I know one of my goals is to get balls back up to the couch and light up the characters on the lower playfield. I got the first one flashing, but based on the rules I've seen online I'm not totally sure what I need to do at that point to get it to remain lit throughout the rest of the game.
Thanks in advance!

That is the Super Jackpot. Each successive couch shot during couch multiball will light a character. The character should remain lit for the rest of the game.

#4549 4 years ago
Quoted from wayinla:

Good call out. I’ll make sure that gets into the next draft.

#4550 4 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

That is the Super Jackpot. Each successive couch shot during couch multiball will light a character. The character should remain lit for the rest of the game.

Ah, thanks! I thought I got one blinking, then it didn't light for the rest of the game once the mode was over. I'll have to get it to occur again and see what happens...or do you mean after I get the first character blinking, then I have to hit the couch again to keep character #1 lit?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 45.00
$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 218.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 16.00
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Springfield, MO
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

6,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 7,278 posts in this topic. You are on page 91 of 146.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-owners-club-members-only/page/91?hl=bigsilverpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.