(Topic ID: 50801)

The Simpsons Pinball Party (TSPP) Owners Club..... Members Only!!!

By kwiKimart

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,252 posts
  • 706 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by Pinkitten
  • Topic is favorited by 327 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5056 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6529 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6498 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6490 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6491 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6488 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6489 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240129_174034 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240129_174044 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240129_174050 (resized).jpg
IMG_6018 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6024 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6023 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5983 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5977 (resized).jpeg

There are 7,252 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 146.
#2751 6 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Can anyone tell me how the wire at the base of Homer's head is supposed to sit? Or better yet a pic?

Is this picture what you are looking for?

IMG_3207 (resized).JPGIMG_3207 (resized).JPG

#2752 6 years ago

Maybe this one?

KIMG0487 (resized).JPGKIMG0487 (resized).JPG

#2753 6 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

How did you get the right ramp off? It was the only piece on the right side that i wasn't able to get off. Also how do you get the black block on the right corner off?

Black block is still there. It's now covered with the side blade

Removing right ramp was easy. Just removing the screws and carefully lift it and that's it. Have no idea what is blocking it with you. Also remove the bulbs in the Backbord to get more space to work in.

#2754 6 years ago

Both of those pics are pretty good - so to me the wire that wraps around the back seems kind of pointless - does it actually do anything?

#2755 6 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Both of those pics are pretty good - so to me the wire that wraps around the back seems kind of pointless - does it actually do anything?

Which black wire? I only see one running to the flasher in Homers head

#2756 6 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Which black wire? I only see one running to the flasher in Homers head

Back wire not black lol

#2757 6 years ago

So i got a quick question. So I finished taking off all the orange protectors and it's definitely a lot brighter. Now the back of the machine is still a bit orange and i understand cause all the ramps are orange. But ive seen a lot of tspp with the back half of the machine bright and not orange. How would i go about making this happen?

IMG_1450 (resized).JPGIMG_1450 (resized).JPG

#2759 6 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Back wire not black lol

I believe its there to help prevent a stuck ball wedged against homies head... But that is my guess after stewing about the same thing for some time...

-Jim

#2760 6 years ago

Do you have to remove the original sticker to put on the Kwik E Mart sticker?

#2761 6 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

My guess is that it keeps airballs from getting caught back there - gives them something to roll off of.

#2762 6 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Do you have to remove the original sticker to put on the Kwik E Mart sticker?

no, it goes right over it. it's permanent, but if you want to make it more temporary, you can put painters tape on the back of it and then adhere it. Not sure why anyone would want to see that original sticker, though.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1016-lermods/00482-the-simpsons-pinball-party-pinball-kwik-e-mart-decal-mod

#2763 6 years ago

Mine is smaller then the original, so i think i have to remove it

#2764 6 years ago
Quoted from jim5six:

I believe its there to help prevent a stuck ball wedged against homies head... But that is my guess after stewing about the same thing for some time...
-Jim

That's exactly what it does.

#2765 6 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

But ive seen a lot of tspp with the back half of the machine bright and not orange. How would i go about making this happen?

Don't play in the dark?

#2766 6 years ago

So, first shopping is finished. Total cleaning, replacing black rubbers with white silicon. Colored sleeves. Sideblades and Backbord cals installed.

Stronger garage coil on order.

Next step is color pin2dmd display and that's it (for now at least )

IMG_3223 (resized).JPGIMG_3223 (resized).JPG

IMG_3224 (resized).JPGIMG_3224 (resized).JPG

IMG_3225 (resized).JPGIMG_3225 (resized).JPG

IMG_3226 (resized).JPGIMG_3226 (resized).JPG

IMG_3227 (resized).JPGIMG_3227 (resized).JPG

IMG_3228 (resized).JPGIMG_3228 (resized).JPG

IMG_3230 (resized).JPGIMG_3230 (resized).JPG

#2767 6 years ago

I recommend the I&S hole protector from Pinbits and the Kwik-E-Mart sticker.

#2768 6 years ago

Sparky Are you making and selling that Apu mod shown in the pic you posted (post #2758)?

#2769 6 years ago

TSPP is a little dark in the middle of the playfield for me. I added some pink flipper trough lights and purple post lights (attached them to right bumper tower). I also moved the post light on the far right, by the right outlane and attached it to the right sling shot (aimed it to the middle of the playfield). I think it looks great. I'll post pics when I'm done. I have it all torn down and getting powder coated (Pink Pearl and the screws are Sky Blue).

#2770 6 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

So, first shopping is finished. Total cleaning, replacing black rubbers with white silicon. Colored sleeves. Sideblades and Backbord cals installed.
Stronger garage coil on order.
Next step is color pin2dmd display and that's it (for now at least )

ColorDMD, much better!!!

#2771 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

ColorDMD, much better!!!

I have nothing against Colordmd but it's usd 450 against like usd 210 over here ..... Have seen pin2dmd in action in other pins and saw the YouTube done on tspp so good enough for me. Once finished I will make a video of it.

#2772 6 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

I recommend the I&S hole protector from Pinbits and the Kwik-E-Mart sticker.

Yeah. Protection. Usually I am all over protection (all my new pins have cliffy and playfield protectors) but if the pin survived 14 yrs of play I am quite confident it will sustain my home use play for like a year I have it.

If i do it it will not only be pinbits but also cliffy ramp protector. Incl transport this will set me back another 100+ USD and wallet is empty for the moment. And of course I would than also need the plastic protectorset which sets me back another 100 usd. Has to stop somewhere .

#2773 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

ColorDMD, much better!!!

Better than pin2dmd? Have you compared the two? I think pin2dmd looks better, personally.

#2774 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballBJB:

sparky Are you making and selling that Apu mod shown in the pic you posted (post #2758)?

@pinballbjb. No, it's available as a keychain, but I just removed the keychain and added a mounting bracket.

Look at this on eBay ebay.com link: itm

I do sell the treehouse spotlight cover and I&S TV, though!

#2775 6 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I would like to know more about these

#2776 6 years ago

Hey Sparky would it be possible for me to take the TV out of my Ghostbusters and put it in TSPP? Maybe by swapping the SD card (or rewriting it)?

Would I need a different power adapter board or something?

#2777 6 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I would like to know more about these

PM sent.

Quoted from moonduckie78:

Hey sparky would it be possible for me to take the TV out of my Ghostbusters and put it in TSPP? Maybe by swapping the SD card (or rewriting it)?
Would I need a different power adapter board or something?

Yes, by swapping the micro sd card or replacing it. My harness is the same for TSPP, so you would just plug into the aux connector by the switch box. If you already have mods there, you would need a Y-splitter.

I could send you a new card. Might be the easiest. Would you need the TV model for TSPP to swap the display into?

#2778 6 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I could send you a new card. Might be the easiest. Would you need the TV model for TSPP to swap the display into?

Sending you a PM

#2779 6 years ago

Anyone else here have the plastic Kwik E mart sign with raised lettering? I have seen no one else here with it on their machine.

#2780 6 years ago

A few mods on my TSPP

blinky (resized).jpgblinky (resized).jpg

homer sexual (resized).jpghomer sexual (resized).jpg

kodos5 (resized).jpgkodos5 (resized).jpg

lard lad (resized).jpglard lad (resized).jpg

itchy1 (resized).jpgitchy1 (resized).jpg

moes tav (resized).jpgmoes tav (resized).jpg

#2781 6 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

I have nothing against Colordmd but it's usd 450 against like usd 210 over here ..... Have seen pin2dmd in action in other pins and saw the YouTube done on tspp so good enough for me. Once finished I will make a video of it.

The light purple DMD screen cover looks nice.

#2782 6 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Better than pin2dmd? Have you compared the two? I think pin2dmd looks better, personally.

I support ColorDMD and their patented technology. Not infringing parties. Without protection there is no innovation.

#2783 6 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

pinballbjb. No, it's available as a keychain, but I just removed the keychain and added a mounting bracket.
Look at this on eBay ebay.com link

Thank you!

#2784 6 years ago

Mine is finally restored. Repainted cabinet, new decals, new clearcoat on playfield. Also i made chrome saucers from AFM and made effect like UFO pinball do on AFM. But it's selfmade mod saucers bouncing when pop bumpers active - how it's work you can see on this video:

DSC09846 (resized).jpgDSC09846 (resized).jpgDSC09838 (resized).jpgDSC09838 (resized).jpgDSC09837 (resized).jpgDSC09837 (resized).jpgDSC09842 (resized).jpgDSC09842 (resized).jpgDSC09844 (resized).jpgDSC09844 (resized).jpgDSC09843 (resized).jpgDSC09843 (resized).jpgDSC09841 (resized).jpgDSC09841 (resized).jpgDSC09839 (resized).jpgDSC09839 (resized).jpg

#2785 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

I support ColorDMD and their patented technology. Not infringing parties. Without protection there is no innovation.

How does pin2dmd infringe on ColorDMD's patent? I hear lots of indirect accusations that get tossed around but nothing specific.

#2786 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

I do not agree. Without competition there is no innovation. I agree that good idea's should be protected and copying not allowed but anyone can patent everything. That does not mean that nobody can do it anymore.

Example: suppose I fill a patent that I have the idea that a simple drawing could be altered using other drawing utensils. When I get that patent it does not mean that nobody can color a colorbook anymore just because I have that patent.

What I am trying to say is: coloring a digital frame is too general to be patented. I would agree very much with you if the colorisation of ColorDMD could be copied and used in other hardware but that is not the case. Every game that has been colored by the team of ColorDMD can only be used in a ColorDMD system. That is also the very strength of them. They allow every display to be used in any game that you have and that is why I also like them very much.

What I like in PIN2DMD is that you can assemble the hardware yourself, make custom colorisation yourself etc. It is very open and ideal for people who want to experiment with new stuff. ColorDMD is closed. You can install it and enjoy it. There is a market for both and I like to have the choice.

#2787 6 years ago

Sorry for the long reply. Will try to provide some "color" and respond to questions posed here...

The ColorDMD patents (there are three now, each of which went through multiple iterations of reviews by the US patent office) cover a very specific implementation for real-time coloring of monochrome pinball frames... both hardware and method. it does not cover the general idea of colorizing a video frame.

The patents contribute a unique method of masking and hashing pinball video frames in order to recognize the frame using unique static attributes while ignoring dynamically varying content (like player scores). The technique is applied offline in order to create a lookup table of corresponding color information which is then indexed and applied in real-time while the game is playing. The patent goes into extensive detail as to how these operations are performed.

The Pin2DMD founders willfully and knowingly implemented the patent both in the Pin2DMD editor as well as the playback hardware. This is indisputable, as the documentation for the editor and the GUI itself includes the same terminology (hashes and masks) created and used in the patent.

The only point of contention is that since they reside in Germany, and the patents apply to sales/use in the United States, they believe they are justified to copy and use whatever they want without legal recourse. They have also argued that software patents aren't allowed in Germany and expressed their general contempt of the US patent system on the forum and in private emails.

This is a legal argument by the way, and ignores general ethics which is really what should prevail in a small community.

The same group has done this to other projects. They have created and sold knock-offs of PinDMD, the Run-DMD clock, and PinSound. Besides the ColorDMD mehtod of colorization, Pin2DMD also incorporates the work of SmartDMD, and the simple grayscale-to-color mapping used by DMD Extender. There's very little in Pin2DMD that can be classified an innovation as it's all knockoffs or direct implementation of other projects.

Regarding claims that competition is needed to breed innovation, I'll point out that the entire ColorDMD system was created in the absence of competition, and that countless innovations to tackle difficult animation sequences and incorporate full motion video, have continued to be introduced on every title in the absence of any real competition.

ColorDMD was borne simply out of the desire to make a contribution to the pinball hobby, and only continues with the support of the community.

We're pinball hobbyists like you. We created something that people seem to enjoy and have continued to invest heavily both in time and financial resources. We continue to enlist the support of other community members and provide compensation for their efforts. We often invest in and support titles that have little demand or return, out of love for the hobby and the platform.

ColorDMD is not "the man".and attempts to "stick it to the man" through willfull infringement by Pin2DMD and others now seeking to do the same have been unwarranted.

#2788 6 years ago

That may be one of the most well spoken replies I've ever read, and managed to not even slander the competition that has ripped them off. Very happy with my ColorDMD's and happy to continue supporting them in any titles I own that they colorize!

My only "complaint" is that I had to repair a ColorDMD board that contained a production flaw, but even at that Randy was helpful in pointing to the problem without admitting a QC issue.

#2790 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

We're pinball hobbyists like you. We created something that people seem to enjoy and have continued to invest heavily both in time and financial resources. We continue to enlist the support of other community members and provide compensation for their efforts. We often invest in and support titles that have little demand or return, out of love for the hobby and the platform.

Thank you for the great response and as I stated in my post I fully enjoy and own several ColorDMD's. But the point you make here is just what I was talking about. As much as you provide a (very good) service of coloring new games and making them available at no extra cost (kudos !) it is still a closed system and nobody but you decides what games get color.

The other system is more comprehensive in installation and maintenance and therefore not for everybody. Most people I know buy ColorDMD's for that reason and I even encourage them to do just so, but with PIN2DMD we have an option to further enjoy the hobby with projects that you do not get to and that is an addidtion to the hobby.

Legal things aside (I am not a lawyer) I do not think that a project like PIN2DMD is a big threat to ColorDMD as it does not provide the same user experience (ease of installation and use) and support for different games. I myself only use PIN2DMD when the game is not supported by ColorDMD or the cost of a ColorDMD is too high in accordance with the value of the machine itself.

As I said, as soon as YOUR colorisation could be used in other hardware, that would be very different and unethical to me but that is not the case. Example: someone makes a gameconsole. Great. But now they add the possibility to run Playstation software on it for free. That is unethical and in my opinion illegal.

#2791 6 years ago
Quoted from Mikedenton49:

May I ask. How did you attach this?

I had a very thin L bracket made a few years ago when I was selling a lot of the Micro Display Mods. I still use them for the mounting of the TSPP treehouse. However, I can bend and/or cut them to mount many other mods. For Blinky, the bracket was cut down, bent like an S, and a small screw was attached to his belly.

Photo_2017-08-18_06-51-55_AM (resized).pngPhoto_2017-08-18_06-51-55_AM (resized).png

#2792 6 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

As I said, as soon as YOUR colorisation could be used in other hardware, that would be very different and unethical to me but that is not the case.

Reusing ColorDMD artwork would be an issue of copyright infringement, which is easier for most people to understand than patent infringement but they're both harmful and may ultimately impact our ability to support and invest in new development.

So here's a recent clip from the DMDMK66 thread in which the organizers of both projects are discussing exactly that:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

This type of behavior (and justifications that enable it) are disheartening, but it's up to the community to decide what it wants to support.

#2793 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

This type of behavior (and justifications that enable it) are disheartening, but it's up to the community to decide what it wants to support.

Amen.

Don't be a dick (resized).pngDon't be a dick (resized).png

#2794 6 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

Mine is finally restored. Repainted cabinet, new decals, new clearcoat on playfield. Also i made chrome saucers from AFM and made effect like UFO pinball do on AFM. But it's selfmade mod saucers bouncing when pop bumpers active - how it's work you can see on this video: » YouTube video

The colors on your cabinet really pop!!! Nice job!

#2795 6 years ago
Quoted from Archon9000:

The colors on your cabinet really pop!!! Nice job!

Thanks! I do it with halftone effect.

#2796 6 years ago

Found this at a local thrift store today new in package. I'll have to try to find a place to put him.

20170818_173743 (resized).jpg20170818_173743 (resized).jpg

20170818_173753 (resized).jpg20170818_173753 (resized).jpg

#2797 6 years ago

Thanks again for the link!
Got mine in the mail today. They add a nice touch to the game.
I was a bit disappointed with the print quality. Looks like it was done on a home deskjet. But overall happy.

#2798 6 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

I do not agree. Without competition there is no innovation.

Necessity is the mother of invention [innovation]. Competition is what should follow once their rightfully earned protection expires. Or better yet, in the form of new and unique solutions from competitors, not ones blatantly ripping off someone elses work.

You are deluding yourself if you think otherwise. There are very few organizations today that are going to invest millions of dollars in new innovative products if they cant get enforceable protection.

It just sucks that a lot of this pinball community is willing to ignore this and look the other way to save a few bucks.

ColorDMD, i hope you sell the hell out of your displays. When your IP expires be ready for legitimate competition.

Back to the party...

#2799 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

You are deluding yourself if you think otherwise. There are very few organizations today that are going to invest millions of dollars in new innovative products if they cant get enforceable protection.

I had put this to rest already, but if someone calles me delusional Think about this: would ColorDMD ever come with the LED version if PIN2DMD did not show them that is was possible ? Who is copying who ? I know I had the LED version long before ColorDMD offered them.

So it is just how you look at things to determine who of us is delusional. I stand by my point. The more people think about stuff the more new ideas and thereby innovation pops up. I want to leave it at that.

edit: oh and I am happy ColorDMD offers them BTW. I like them better than the LCD version myself. Great product.

#2800 6 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

I had put this to rest already, but if someone calles me delusional Think about this: would ColorDMD ever come with the LED version if PIN2DMD did not show them that is was possible ? Who is copying who ? I know I had the LED version long before ColorDMD offered them.
So it is just how you look at things to determine who of us is delusional. I stand by my point. The more people think about stuff the more new ideas and thereby innovation pops up. I want to leave it at that.
edit: oh and I am happy ColorDMD offers them BTW. I like them better than the LCD version myself. Great product.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Thanks for keeping the discussion civil though, refreshing to at least see both sides post articulated responses.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
Led
£ 70.00
Playfield - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
Decals
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 12.95
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com
Shooter rods
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wappingers Falls, NY
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
There are 7,252 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 146.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-owners-club-members-only/page/56?hl=vbobrusev and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.