(Topic ID: 50801)

The Simpsons Pinball Party (TSPP) Owners Club..... Members Only!!!

By kwiKimart

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,278 posts
  • 709 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by allsportdvd
  • Topic is favorited by 329 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7854 (resized).jpeg
63C0A1C8-924E-4AA5-8A66-A3C65298F62E (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 10.11.55 AM (resized).png
CD446378-C181-45FD-8BB1-987240C63FC1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0390 Copy (resized).jpeg
IMG_0391 Copy (resized).jpeg
IMG_0393 Copy (resized).jpeg
IMG_0399 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5056 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6529 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6498 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6490 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6491 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6488 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6489 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240129_174034 (resized).jpg
There are 7,278 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 146.
#2001 7 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

My machine dumps the balls when the new game starts even if the setting is to save them.

That means something isn't working right then. The setting should work perfectly fine. By default the game will hold the couch locks between games.

#2002 7 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

That means something isn't working right then. The setting should work perfectly fine. By default the game will hold the couch locks between games.

I am apparently wrong here. I have just played with the settings and it does hold the balls. I must have set it for one player instead of always. Sorry about that.

#2003 7 years ago

Are you on ROM v5? Somethings wrong otherwise, it's dropping them because it's doing a ball search?

Edit: Nevermind, I see you figured it out.

#2004 7 years ago

This is not normal behavior.

Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

My machine dumps the balls when the new game starts even if the setting is to save them.

#2005 7 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

This is not normal behavior.

See two posts back.

#2006 7 years ago

My TV DMD is garbled at times it works okay. Is this an issue with the display?

I have tried reseeding the ribbon cable in the back of the display. Any thoughts would be great?

IMG_20161113_160654 (resized).jpgIMG_20161113_160654 (resized).jpg

#2007 7 years ago

What does everyone use to clean the pad that scores the skill shot comic book guy. When I make the hit, it's not registering. I'm thinking it's a dirty contact. I was thinking of spraying it with Electrical Contact Cleaner but I don't see anyone posting with product. Thanks!

#2008 7 years ago

Have you tested the switch in test mode? I doubt it's not working because it's dirty.

Quoted from atwong:

What does everyone use to clean the pad that scores the skill shot comic book guy. When I make the hit, it's not registering. I'm thinking it's a dirty contact. I was thinking of spraying it with Electrical Contact Cleaner but I don't see anyone posting with product. Thanks!

#2009 7 years ago

Get a business card, put it between the contacts. Hold the contacts closed, pull out business card. Rinse and repeat 2 or 3 times.

Quoted from atwong:

#2010 7 years ago
Quoted from atwong:

Believe it or not, it could be a software bug. This is a known issue that occasionally pops up on some machines. Try doing a full factory reset and see if it fixes the problem.

#2011 7 years ago
Quoted from atwong:

I was thinking of spraying it with Electrical Contact Cleaner

Electrical contact cleaner... Never.

Use the business card technique above, or file the contacts just a touch if necessary. I'm assuming you don't have a wiring/connection problem. (which is not a great assumption)

#2012 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Have you tested the switch in test mode? I doubt it's not working because it's dirty.

it works when you hit it harder.

#2013 7 years ago
Quoted from scottslash:

Electrical contact cleaner... Never.
Use the business card technique above, or file the contacts just a touch if necessary. I'm assuming you don't have a wiring/connection problem. (which is not a great assumption)

Just curious why you should never use electrical contact cleaner? Isn't it was it's designed for?

#2014 7 years ago
Quoted from atwong:

Just curious why you should never use electrical contact cleaner? Isn't it was it's designed for?

Not for pinball machines. Ever.

#2015 7 years ago
Quoted from atwong:

it works when you hit it harder.

Replace the switch. Very easy fix.

#2016 7 years ago

Clean it if its dirty lookin
Adjust the gap if the gap is too big so lighter hits to switch register

#2017 7 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Not for pinball machines. Ever.

My problem is that no one says why with facts. I trying to ask why instead of just because.

#2018 7 years ago

I think the main problem with contact cleaner is that it often reacts badly with plastic, so it's not really anything you want near a pinball machine with so many plastic parts.

#2019 7 years ago

The solvent in aerosol contact cleaner will destroy most playfield plastics, and even the vapors can attack the plastic. It won't happen immediately, but within a few days, cause crazing on the affected plastic. A small jarring will shatter the plastic once it's crazed.

The solvent can also attack certain rubber parts like sling belts and flipper rubber.

Besides all that, contact cleaner won't remove oxide from contacts; only oil and grease. Oxide on the contact tips can only be effectively removed by abrasion like with the business card, or if it's excessive, a contact file - sort of an emery board but very fine grit.

#2020 7 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

The solvent in aerosol contact cleaner will destroy most playfield plastics, and even the vapors can attack the plastic. It won't happen immediately, but within a few days, cause crazing on the affected plastic. A small jarring will shatter the plastic once it's crazed.
The solvent can also attack certain rubber parts like sling belts and flipper rubber.
Besides all that, contact cleaner won't remove oxide from contacts; only oil and grease. Oxide on the contact tips can only be effectively removed by abrasion like with the business card, or if it's excessive, a contact file - sort of an emery board but very fine grit.

If THAT doesn't quench your thirst for knowledge........

#2021 7 years ago

If you are doing a fair amount of restoration work, you should invest in the right tool for the job. A burnishing tool will run you less than $10 and won't overly scratch the contacts like an emery board would. Probably the same price as a can of contact cleaner, but one will last you a lifetime.

https://www.amazon.com/GC-Electronics-Fine-Grade-Burnishing/dp/B00B5OK1AO

#2022 7 years ago

I still can't figure out my problem with the tv dmd. I'm guessing the display is shot?

#2023 7 years ago
Quoted from griffo84:

I still can't figure out my problem with the tv dmd. I'm guessing the display is shot?

Did you reseat the other end of the cable too? Scrambled dmd is usually a cable issue. Could be you have a bad or bent pin too. Look closely at the connection.

#2024 7 years ago

Going to go look at a "TSPP" this weekend hopefully joining this club soon. Any tips on what to look for in wear and tear on the game?

#2025 7 years ago
Quoted from Snwbrdrmidget15:

Going to go look at a "TSPP" this weekend hopefully joining this club soon. Any tips on what to look for in wear and tear on the game?

Common areas of wear would be the shooter lane, Itchy & Scratchy hole, flipper buttons, start button, and the ramp behind the garage door. Make sure the VUK is working that goes to the upper playfield, as well as the switch that triggers it. Also, check to make sure the couch is releasing the balls properly (one at a time). Lastly, I'd check the I&S drop targets to make sure they are properly dropping when a ball is ejected.

#2026 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Common areas of wear would be the shooter lane, Itchy & Scratchy hole, flipper buttons, start button, and the ramp behind the garage door. Make sure the VUK is working that goes to the upper playfield, as well as the switch that triggers it. Also, check to make sure the couch is releasing the balls properly (one at a time). Lastly, I'd check the I&S drop targets to make sure they are properly dropping when a ball is ejected.

If the couch releases all 3 balls at once what is the likely cause? A bad gap on the end where the coil releases?

#2027 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

...and that the garage door stays up after it opens. Some of them tend to be a bit droopy and fall back down during game play.

#2028 7 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eos-stern-simpsons-pinball-party

Just in case anyone here can help? Specifically even if you just run active switch test and tell me if your left switch is active without you hitting anything ???

#2029 7 years ago

Hello all... I just picked up my very own Simpsons Pinball Party (my first machine ever) and I have a potential problem I was hoping somebody could help with. The machine tested out fine at the point of purchase but after getting it home and set up I've had trouble with the couch multiball. The couch doesn't want to hold the balls and just drains them to the lower playfield every time. I've been sure to hit the "light" and "lock" targets before sending the ball to the couch, but neither lights up when hit (bulbs fine... they flash, etc).

The multiball was not working Saturday (the day I brought it home) and Sunday afternoon. Then Sunday night I did notice it engage and hold the balls for a game or two. After that it has not held the balls.

I've restored factory settings, it didn't do anything. I took the glass off and manually hit the light/lock targets - they make a sound but don't light. I pushed on the end of the piston that keeps the balls on the couch and it popped out. I played a game, got 3 balls in the couch and they released with multiball. However, after release I was unable to get the couch to trap balls again in subsequent games.

Any ideas? The place I purchased it from is 1 hr 44 min away and sounds pretty reluctant to make a housecall. Hopefully my descriptions are accurate... as I mentioned this is my first machine so I am very inexperienced in pinball mechanics.

Thanks for any and all advice!

#2030 7 years ago

I wouldn't worry about the targets yet. I believe at default setting they are only needed after you complete 1 couch multiball so they wont be active yet. I would do a factory reset and then try it. Other than that I am not sure. Just wanted to point out the targets so you don't go down the wrong rabbit hole.

-Jim

#2031 7 years ago

Factory reset didn't do anything. Although I was just playing a game and the couch actually locked the balls. Is there anything special you have to do (gameplay-wise) to get them to lock? I always thought it was hit the lock target in upper playfield and then hit ramp/couch. But 95% of the time the balls dont lock in the couch and drain to the lower playfield.

I also noticed that the last time the multiball actually worked, the couch released all 3 balls at once. I thought they were supposed to come one at a time?

Thanks again for the help.

#2032 7 years ago
Quoted from Twirt:

Factory reset didn't do anything. Although I was just playing a game and the couch actually locked the balls. Is there anything special you have to do (gameplay-wise) to get them to lock? I always thought it was hit the lock target in upper playfield and then hit ramp/couch. But 95% of the time the balls dont lock in the couch and drain to the lower playfield.
I also noticed that the last time the multiball actually worked, the couch released all 3 balls at once. I thought they were supposed to come one at a time?
Thanks again for the help.

Is the green lock insert lit when you hit the couch? If not, it releases the ball.

#2033 7 years ago

I think I have it figured out... it looks like the white ring that holds the piston that locks the balls is cracked and causing the piston to get stuck in the "release" position. That's why I can manually release it but it won't come back out after retracing again.

I've attached an image below... does that look right (and by that I mean wrong/broken) to you all?

unnamed (resized).jpgunnamed (resized).jpg

#2035 7 years ago

That's my guess as well, Twirt, take a good picture of the back of the black couch metal bracket where the coil connects. Is it leaning back at all? The part behind the coil should be 90 degrees coming straight up. If it's not, it's bent, and needs to be bent back, and you need to install the weld fix part behind it. (It's a factory design flaw, nothing to do with your seller) A good picture and we can tell you if you have the fix installed, etc.

#2036 7 years ago

I'd change out the coil sleeve, qtip the inside of the coil, polish the rod and do the weld fix.

#2037 7 years ago

Here are some pics... if any other angles/shots would help, let me know. Thanks again to you all for helping a rookie.

**EDIT** Now that I finally googled the Weld Fix and what it is, it looks like that is my problem. I've added a pic of the coil, and it looks like the metal behind it is bent back pretty good. I'll order the fix kit... is it easily/possible to install for someone with no experience?

IMG_0137 (resized).JPGIMG_0137 (resized).JPG
IMG_0136 (resized).JPGIMG_0136 (resized).JPG
IMG_0135 (resized).JPGIMG_0135 (resized).JPG
IMG_0134 (resized).JPGIMG_0134 (resized).JPG

IMG_0138 (resized).JPGIMG_0138 (resized).JPG

#2038 7 years ago

That last picture shows the problem perfectly, the metal piece behind the coil should be sticking straight up, not leaning back like that. To fix, you need to align the metal plunger back through the white ring sticking forward, remove the orange ramp, bend that bracket behind the coil back to it's normal position, remove the screw behind the bracket that holds down the weld fix, and reinstall that screw with the weld fix, and then reinstall the orange ramp. It's not too big of a job, and the weld fix part resolves the problem 100%.

#2039 7 years ago

mavantix is absolutely correct. The coil stop should be at a 90 degree angle to the playfield. Yours is bent backwards. Here's a picture of my game with the weld fix bracket installed ...

TSPP Couch Fix.jpgTSPP Couch Fix.jpg

#2040 7 years ago

Thank you all so much for the help. I'll order the fix today.

#2041 7 years ago

Anyone have ideas of my problem with itchy and shooting balls out the incorrect angle. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-itchy-doesnt-shoot-the-ball-out-at-the-right-angle

#2042 7 years ago

I've heard so much about this game, but never had a chance to play one. Just picked up a one owner HUO(2007 production) that hadn't even had the glass taken off sine it was placed in the basement 9 years ago with just 1300 plays. Can you believe the battery's didn't leak what so ever. I've already replaced them and can't wait to give this one a little tlc.

IMG_0738 (2) (resized).JPGIMG_0738 (2) (resized).JPG
IMG_0742 (resized).JPGIMG_0742 (resized).JPG
IMG_0743 (resized).JPGIMG_0743 (resized).JPG

#2043 7 years ago

Purchased a tspp a few weeks ago, it is in great shape, not too many mods. I really like the led pop so that is probably the first on the list. Last game i bought a kit, but was not thrilled, ended up mostly replacing most to my taste and fixing ghost issues. I am planning on comet leds. Anyone have a bulb list or suggested bulbs to start from? That would be a huge timesaver if so!

I read the other posts and looks like i will need the ocd also! So it begins...

#2044 7 years ago
Quoted from TimberOne:

Purchased a tspp a few weeks ago, it is in great shape, not too many mods. I really like the led pop so that is probably the first on the list. Last game i bought a kit, but was not thrilled, ended up mostly replacing most to my taste and fixing ghost issues. I am planning on comet leds. Anyone have a bulb list or suggested bulbs to start from? That would be a huge timesaver if so!
I read the other posts and looks like i will need the ocd also! So it begins...

you may not need the OCD board. Comet 2835 bulbs are typically good, definitely in the GI sockets. In my game, I have all non-ghosting bulbs from Cointaker and have zero ghosting issues. I don't have an LED OCD board, but OCD is much more than just ghosting, it is the fade effects. I went for a very long time without LEDs in this game, but I do like it better with them.

#2045 7 years ago

Timber and Sparechange...may I ask what you paid for your machines given the low plays?

#2046 7 years ago
Quoted from Twirt:

I think I have it figured out... it looks like the white ring that holds the piston that locks the balls is cracked and causing the piston to get stuck in the "release" position. That's why I can manually release it but it won't come back out after retracing again.
I've attached an image below... does that look right (and by that I mean wrong/broken) to you all?

Don't think anyone addressed you question since your problem is 100% definitely that bent weldment, but yeah - that little white nylon spacer is supposed to be like that.

Quoted from investingdad:

Timber and Sparechange...may I ask what you paid for your machines given the low plays?

I'm not sparechange but I'm in the area. I saw a local HUO TSPP ad that I think mentioned that low playcount here on pinside a week(?) or so ago at $4k. A price that made me wish I was still in the market instead of contemplating putting mine up for sale. I'm assuming that's the one, though sparechange would of course have to confirm if they care to.

#2047 7 years ago
Quoted from Beatnik-Filmstar:

I'm not sparechange but I'm in the area. I saw a local HUO TSPP ad that I think mentioned that low playcount here on pinside a week(?) or so ago at $4k. A price that made me wish I was still in the market instead of contemplating putting mine up for sale. I'm assuming that's the one, though sparechange would of course have to confirm if they care to.

That's the one, I thought it was priced below market all things considered.

#2048 7 years ago
Quoted from sparechange1974:

It is.... I bought a good condition (no weld fix, no garage coil upgrade, some lights needed to be fixed, no cliffy, some mods) with horrible cabinet and it was 4,000. I happen to live in an area that prices tend to be 10% what everyone else is paying and if I ship from somewhere else, it basically the same price but I don't see it.

#2049 7 years ago
Quoted from sparechange1974:

Congrats then. Seems a decent couple hundred or so under market.

Quoted from atwong:

It is.... I bought a good condition (no weld fix, no garage coil upgrade, some lights needed to be fixed, no cliffy, some mods) with horrible cabinet and it was 4,000. I happen to live in an area that prices tend to be 10% what everyone else is paying and if I ship from somewhere else, it basically the same price but I don't see it.

Which seems more like it.

#2050 7 years ago
Quoted from Beatnik-Filmstar:

Congrats then. Seems a decent couple hundred or so under market.

Which seems more like it.

Sent you a PM.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 218.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

6,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 7,278 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 146.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-owners-club-members-only/page/41 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.