(Topic ID: 50801)

The Simpsons Pinball Party (TSPP) Owners Club..... Members Only!!!

By kwiKimart

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,283 posts
  • 710 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by sllerts
  • Topic is favorited by 331 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7854 (resized).jpeg
63C0A1C8-924E-4AA5-8A66-A3C65298F62E (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 10.11.55 AM (resized).png
CD446378-C181-45FD-8BB1-987240C63FC1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0390 Copy (resized).jpeg
IMG_0391 Copy (resized).jpeg
IMG_0393 Copy (resized).jpeg
IMG_0399 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5056 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6529 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6498 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6490 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6491 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6488 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6489 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240129_174034 (resized).jpg
There are 7,283 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 146.
#1751 7 years ago

I installed the optiflux led light board. It piggybacks off the GI/flasher/insert lights. Much better looking normal illumination behind the translite. It also add flashing and color effects. It's best seen here:

#1752 7 years ago

Very cool. I hate the illumination as is... My Twister is the same (single tube light bulb that glows...)

#1753 7 years ago

I ran a piece of electrical tape right down the middle of the fluorescent tube from left to right and it made the backglass glare livable.

#1754 7 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

I ran a piece of electrical tape right down the middle of the fluorescent tube from left to right and it made the backglass glare livable.

Good call!!!

#1755 7 years ago

I solved the glare by disconnecting the fluorescent tube circuit and wiring in a strip of white 12v. LED's with a 2 amp 12v. wall-wart to power them. Used the same connection that the fluorescent ballast was powered by.
2 feet of Ebay 5630 natural white LED strips (you buy the strips 5 meters long, then cut to length in increments of 3 inches), and stuck it to the rear of the glass tube in a sort of spiral. The LEDs reflect off of the electronics and provide a soft glow to the back-glass.

ebay.com link: Bright Pure White 5M 300 LEDs 5630 SMD Non Waterproof Flexible Strip Light US

Power supplies are also available on Ebay.

img1-simpson (resized).jpgimg1-simpson (resized).jpg
img2-simpson (resized).jpgimg2-simpson (resized).jpg
img3-simpson (resized).jpgimg3-simpson (resized).jpg
img4-simpson (resized).jpgimg4-simpson (resized).jpg

#1756 7 years ago

I would like to do some sort of a backbox lighting mod at some point. I was pretty impressed with the interactive one from Flipper Fidelity (http://flipperfidelity.com/lighting/animated-led-backbox-light-replacement-panels/stern-simpsons-pinball-party-animated-led-replacement-panel.html) but balked at the price. However, the more I've dug into the idea the more I'm reminded that my time has value and maybe I'd be better off picking up a little overtime at work than trying to homebrew my own.

#1757 7 years ago

Go for the flipper fidelity one. Very nice addition.

#1758 7 years ago

Yeah one on route nearby last year had it and it definitely caught your eye from across the room. Plus FF's right up the road from me so I could probably just go pick it up... but PIN2DMD comes first!

#1759 7 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

That what i did for all of my machines, but the electrical tape will shrink due to the heat and leave sticky substance on the tube. But who cares, as longs as it remove the glare while I'm playing-all good!

#1760 7 years ago
Quoted from oogiebooogie:

That what i did for all of my machines, but the electrical tape will shrink due to the heat and leave sticky substance on the tube. But who cares, as longs as it remove the glare while I'm playing-all good!

Actually, I used a lightly sticky tape used to wrap wire looms for mine because of that.

#1761 7 years ago

Hey guys,
Having some issues with the multi-ball couch on my machine. Would appreciate feedback on the following if you can.

1. Often the multi-ball will trigger when there are only 2 balls locked in the couch and the game auto-plunges the third ball. Is this normal behavior that is enabled by some sequence of events prior to locking the second ball in the couch (i.e. a bonus that would "start multiball with only 2 balls locked")

2. Every now and then when starting couch multi-ball, the last ball in the couch gets stuck when dropping through the bottom of the couch. The ball gets stuck because the metal pin is not retracted far enough to let the ball pass completely through. When this occurs, a ball search does not clear the ball so you are stuck and have to end your game. Has anyone ever experienced this and, if so, can you offer advice on the solution.

Greatly appreciate any feedback.

Craig

#1762 7 years ago

1. Yes this can happen as a matter of course; it will happen when you get the mystery award "ball lock" for instance.
2. I have not experienced this before sorry.

-Jim

Quoted from Cserold:

Hey guys,
Having some issues with the multi-ball couch on my machine. Would appreciate feedback on the following if you can.
1. Often the multi-ball will trigger when there are only 2 balls locked in the couch and the game auto-plunges the third ball. Is this normal behavior that is enabled by some sequence of events prior to locking the second ball in the couch (i.e. a bonus that would "start multiball with only 2 balls locked")
2. Every now and then when starting couch multi-ball, the last ball in the couch gets stuck when dropping through the bottom of the couch. The ball gets stuck because the metal pin is not retracted far enough to let the ball pass completely through. When this occurs, a ball search does not clear the ball so you are stuck and have to end your game. Has anyone ever experienced this and, if so, can you offer advice on the solution.
Greatly appreciate any feedback.
Craig

#1763 7 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

My thoughts on this may be you need to install the couch weld fix in your machine, as the back part of the couch weldment in older versions of TSPP is prone to bending causing miss-alignment of the coil, and thus binding the plunger up when it tries to release the balls.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1893

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-9307-00

Here's what it looks like installed (second pic in first post):
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ever-wonder-what-the-tspp-was-and-what-problem-it-fixed

If your machine already has the weld fix, then maybe disassemble that coil, clean/replace coil sleeve?

#1764 7 years ago

The 2 previous replies are spot-on. Couldn't have said it better myself.

#1765 7 years ago
Quoted from jim5six:

1. Yes this can happen as a matter of course; it will happen when you get the mystery award "ball lock" for instance.
2. I have not experienced this before sorry.
-Jim

Quoted from mavantix:

My thoughts on this may be you need to install the couch weld fix in your machine, as the back part of the couch weldment in older versions of TSPP is prone to bending causing miss-alignment of the coil, and thus binding the plunger up when it tries to release the balls.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1893
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-9307-00
Here's what it looks like installed (second pic in first post):
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ever-wonder-what-the-tspp-was-and-what-problem-it-fixed
If your machine already has the weld fix, then maybe disassemble that coil, clean/replace coil sleeve?

Jim, Mavantix...thank you both for taking the time to reply. I will update the thread after finding a solution to the couch issue. -- Craig

#1766 7 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Both of these are simple fixes. I had an issue where one of the I&S targets would stay up and interfere with ball ejection. It was a broken wire at the small coil that lowers the targets.

Quick update on the issue with the middle I&S drop target not lowering during ball ejection. I had to replace the small coil beneath the middle drop target to fix the issue.

#1767 7 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

If by chance it's not a misaligned coil due to the weldment issue - here's something else to check.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-couch-ball-release-intermittent-issue

(Skip forward a few posts - long story short - check the little plastic nylon part that lines the hole in the weldment that the coil plunger passes through. Mine was broken and causing an issue.)

#1768 7 years ago
Quoted from Beatnik-Filmstar:

If by chance it's not a misaligned coil due to the weldment issue - here's something else to check.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-couch-ball-release-intermittent-issue
(Skip forward a few posts - long story short - check the little plastic nylon part that lines the hole in the weldment that the coil plunger passes through. Mine was broken and causing an issue.)

Excellent. Very helpful. Turns out my game didn't have the fix applied yet. Have that on order and will also check the plastic nylon part you reference. Cheers, Craig

#1769 7 years ago

Hey guys. Looking to LED my Simpsons and use LED OCD. I know it's better to NOT use non-ghosting leds. Looking at coin takers kit for the inserts and GI. Which would you recommend? Frosted or Super Bright?

If anyone has experience with these kits I would appreciate any feedback.

#1770 7 years ago

I did mine almost entirely with the Comet "2 SMD 6.3V AC/DC SUPREME BRIGHTNESS with FACETED LENS", natural white in the GI and color matched in the inserts (except yellow inserts, which looked better with warm white). Comet "OPTIX MAXIMUS 6.3V SPOTLIGHT" in the spots. I also did the flashers with color matched Comet "High Output COB Tri-Side 2.5W 12 Volt DC 555 base (fits 906)" and they're absolutely ridiculous. I haven't settled on what I want to keep in the pop bumpers but next time I have the habittrails off I'm going to put in a set of their 11 SMD pop bumper discs and see how those look. Don't know how Comet compares to Coin Taker in the price department but their customer service is still pretty darn good under the new ownership.

I've only bought a few handfuls of Coin Taker bulbs at shows, no experience with their kits. LED OCD is an absolute must, the difference was startling.

#1771 7 years ago

I used regular CT super brights

Some/most sockets in upper playfield are mounted on side and not pointing up towards the insert. So you will want flex heads leds so you can aim the light upwards through the insert.

The big insert in the upper playfield i used a 2 headed flex head super bright led. So it lit the whole thing.

I dont have the machine anymore but it did make a big difference. Esp with LEDOCD

#1772 7 years ago

Rebuilding the playfield with new ramps, rubber, led's and cliffys as well as a few mods this weekend. I'm surprised by how dirty it is in all the hard to clean spots.

IMG_3060 (resized).JPGIMG_3060 (resized).JPG

#1773 7 years ago

I'm surprised by how dirty it is in all the hard to clean spots.

Quoted from Deafcon:I'm surprised by how dirty it is in all the hard to clean spots.

Yeah, it certainly is a packed playfield.

#1774 7 years ago

I can't figure out how you pulled the playfield. How many connections are there? And get that Quik E Mart sticker!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1776 7 years ago

Pull the translite out, and there is a bundle of wires fed up from the playfield to the control boards in the backbox. There are quite a few connectors. After they are disconnected, feed then all down into the lower cabinet. The playfield is pretty easy to pull out then. I had another person help me, but one person could do it. I had to remove the apron and backboard, as well as a couple of bulb sockets to get it mounted up to the rotisserie.

I have the kwik-e-mart decal, it will be installed, along with a ton of other stuff.

#1777 7 years ago

Looking forward to seeing what you have planned

#1778 7 years ago

If anyone is looking for cabinet decals I found these: http://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/the-simpsons-pinball-party-cabinet-decals/

#1779 7 years ago

Good progress this weekend. Playfield depopulated, cleaned, ball tracks buffed out. 4 coats of wax so far. Playfield is starting to be pieced back together. I have all new ramps. I'm waiting on the arrival of some 1/8 tubular rivets to swap the ramp flaps to the new ramps. Are there any common failure areas I should look at while the game is apart?

IMG_3062 (resized).JPGIMG_3062 (resized).JPG

IMG_3063 (resized).JPGIMG_3063 (resized).JPG

IMG_3064 (resized).JPGIMG_3064 (resized).JPG

#1780 7 years ago

Are there any common failure areas I should look at while the game is apart?

Quoted from Deafcon:Are there any common failure areas I should look at while the game is apart?

Here's my short list of TSPP common issues to look at and address:

* Install the couch weld fix.

* Upgrade the garage door opening coil per Stern tech doc, and while you're at it, replace coil sleeve and plunger (look at the tip, any "flat spot" wear on it can cause the door to not open).

* Cliffy the garage door ramp, that front plastic lip will eventually break if you don't.

* LED the hard to reach bulbs, like under the ramps, under comic book guy, etc.

* Install PI-SIM to quiet the game considerably - http://www.flippp.fr/pisim.php

* Fix that damn speaker hum - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-speaker-humbuzz-fixed

#1781 7 years ago

I installed a full Cliffy set and leds for the GI.

#1782 7 years ago

Just wondering if anybody happens to have high rez scan files of the cabinet art they may be able to share with me?

#1783 7 years ago

Just joined the club. What's the best side decals and who sells them?

#1784 7 years ago

sillyoldelf should be able to hook you up.

#1785 7 years ago

More reassembly on my TSPP tonight. Flipped it to do some work on the underside. I found something missing on one of the main flippers. Might explain the buzzing when holding that flipper on.

IMG_3071 (resized).JPGIMG_3071 (resized).JPG

IMG_3072 (resized).JPGIMG_3072 (resized).JPG

#1786 7 years ago

If anyone thinks they need more mods for their TSPP, I have some custom cards available...

There are a ton of great custom cards out there, but very few that match the apron, that was my approach to making these....

Regular cards- $12 Shipped
EL cards- $65 Shipped

The EL cards are 5 volt and I have been running them off of my GI without issue (so far)

IMG_20160917_215956341 (resized).jpgIMG_20160917_215956341 (resized).jpg

IMG_20160917_220017446 (resized).jpgIMG_20160917_220017446 (resized).jpg

IMG_20160917_220128151 (resized).jpgIMG_20160917_220128151 (resized).jpg

IMG_20160927_225858912_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20160927_225858912_HDR (resized).jpg

IMG_20160927_225758531_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20160927_225758531_HDR (resized).jpg

IMG_20160927_225807236_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20160927_225807236_HDR (resized).jpg

#1787 7 years ago

Also to note, if you want any other designs done in EL paper that are already out there, I can do those for you for the same price. You are paying for the materials and time for assembly. My printer is a high end large format photo printer and produces excellent quality images.

#1788 7 years ago

I see that you are missing an eos switch actuator, but that won't cause the buzzing. Why are there 2 springs?

#1789 7 years ago

No idea on the springs. The flipper hardware all looks fairly new, I'm guessing who ever did the work thought if one spring was good, two would be better? Any though on the buzzing emminated from the machine when holding the right flipper on? It doesn't on the left side.

#1790 7 years ago
Quoted from Deafcon:

No idea on the springs. The flipper hardware all looks fairly new, I'm guessing who ever did the work thought if one spring was good, two would be better? Any though on the buzzing emminated from the machine when holding the right flipper on? It doesn't on the left side.

Buzzing on Sterns is usually coil stops. What kind of shape are yours in?

#1791 7 years ago

Ditto on the coil stops. I bought new ones from Marco. That will also cut down on black dust. Since you have it apart, it would be a good idea to inspect the plungers, sleeves, rebound stops and coil stops.

#1792 7 years ago

You guys nailed it. I checked all the coil stops and the one for the right flipper half way up the playfield was toast. The upper and lower flipper stuff looks pretty new. Why does that cause it to buzz?

IMG_3100 (resized).JPGIMG_3100 (resized).JPG

#1793 7 years ago

The stop needs to make solid, complete contact with the plunger. I guess the plunger was ok. This machine uses direct current, so you might ask why would it buzz anyway... The flippers are controlled through the cpu and pulse very rapidly after actuation to avoid coil burn. Similar to an end-of-stroke circuit on an EM. The eos on TSPP opens at full stroke to not reduce current, but to signal to the cpu to fully energize the coil if the flipper is hit by the ball hard enough to drop it, closing the switch, while at full stroke.

#1794 7 years ago

It's getting there. Led's are installed, and new rubber. New stronger garage door solenoid. New plunger for the VUK, shooter eject and garage door as well. Up next, ramp flap install.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#1795 7 years ago

The rivets are 1/8 x 3/16 aluminum tubular type. I thought about using pop rivets, but they would stick up more and not look as nice. I obtained a rivet clincher from Hanson rivet and used my drill press like an arbor press. It worked really well. The star washers in the back side provide extra support for the rivet against the plastic.

IMG_3106 (resized).JPGIMG_3106 (resized).JPG

IMG_3107 (resized).JPGIMG_3107 (resized).JPG

IMG_3108 (resized).JPGIMG_3108 (resized).JPG

#1796 7 years ago

IMG_3105 (resized).JPGIMG_3105 (resized).JPG

#1797 7 years ago

Hey guys im new to the club. Getting my machine tomorrow. Super excited and cant wait. How hard is it to install a color DMD? Plan on buying one next month

#1798 7 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

Hey guys im new to the club. Getting my machine tomorrow. Super excited and cant wait. How hard is it to install a color DMD? Plan on buying one next month.

It's pretty easy to install. On a difficulty scale of 1-5, I'd rate it a 2. Just carefully follow the directions on their website and you shouldn't have any problems.

#1799 7 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

Hey guys im new to the club. Getting my machine tomorrow. Super excited and cant wait. How hard is it to install a color DMD? Plan on buying one next month

Make sure to remove the fuse in the display driver board and secure the cables that you disconnect. If you leave the cables loose or don't pull the fuse the cable can accidentally short circuit with something in the backbox.

#1800 7 years ago

My last question is how difficult would it be for a beginner to take apart the play-field? This is my second pin but ive never done so before. I want to know so i can clean it when the time comes

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 218.00
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.00
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Youngstown, OH
$ 16.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 7,283 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 146.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-owners-club-members-only/page/36 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.