Topic Stats

• 5,205 posts
  • 523 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by davidlldennis
  • Topic is favorited by 229 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,172 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20200803_172731 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200803_172719 (resized).jpg
61748168017__70815519-6ACF-4B73-BECF-7DC1FEA0408B (resized).jpeg
A0D68876-1930-4073-9648-8863380838AC (resized).jpeg
ACA2DF20-D27C-42C8-B9FD-A5B6E1DB6D2C (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200724_213531985 (resized).jpg
TSPPpin (resized).png
1DAD4D72-F2CE-49B6-A19F-D22A77DB4FE5 (resized).jpeg
3D10FBF1-4CD4-41CE-931C-F093D5A2C5D6 (resized).jpeg
3741CF5C-6136-4A22-8DA0-34448314306C (resized).jpeg
552DF7F9-C717-4A90-89AE-C350720A64D5 (resized).jpeg
A2229329-7606-4258-B5D2-B2AAA1BE5DBB (resized).jpeg
4A3E60C9-A32C-4416-BB5D-5E7DB2583194 (resized).jpeg
46AC71E6-1F8E-4525-9767-D7CB850C05AD (resized).jpeg
57A30AF3-F6B1-450B-8770-128ED0B91B71 (resized).jpeg
1B9CB73B-9B7C-4BE3-BD05-618B7699F20F (resized).jpeg

There are 5205 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 105.
#1651 3 years ago

ColorDMD on order... Can't wait!

#1652 3 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

You won't be disappointed, it looks incredible on this game....

IMG_20160730_135029130_HDR_(resized).jpg

#1653 3 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

An absolute must with this game. You'll love it!!!

#1654 3 years ago

Agreed on the Colordmd.

#1655 3 years ago

So THIS happened this weekend...

image (resized).jpeg

#1656 3 years ago

Check out all the modes. DotXL is what mine is running.

#1657 3 years ago

I run Hi Res and love it.

#1658 3 years ago

Another vote for Hi Res.....

#1659 3 years ago

Unlike most others (people and games) I prefer dots on TSPP. Kinda fits with the dots on the TV and gives it more of a carnival look.

Speaking of carnival, I rode the Simpsons ride at Universal Studios Hollywood last Sunday. It's one of the park's, like, *5* simulator rides, but very funny stuff!

#1660 3 years ago
Quoted from scottslash:

Unlike most others (people and games) I prefer dots on TSPP. Kinda fits with the dots on the TV and gives it more of a carnival look.
Speaking of carnival, I rode the Simpsons ride at Universal Studios Hollywood last Sunday. It's one of the park's, like, *5* simulator rides, but very funny stuff!

I've ridden it a few times, makes me sick, just like all the other simulator rides. But, it is a cool ride.

#1661 3 years ago
Quoted from scottslash:

It took the place of the "Back to the Future" ride and a cool thing is, when you're waiting in line, they show a video of Doc Brown selling the Institute to Krusty. Funny!

#1662 3 years ago

With all the talk about the problems with the new Stern playfields lately, I was wondering how everyone's TSPP playfield compares. I was also wondering what issues anyone has had with their machines in general. I have had mine since April, it was made in '04, am very happy with it and the minor issues I have had (which are all remedied) are the garage ramp breaking, the upper playfield right flipper sticking up occasionally, the right flipper switch going out, playfield dirt coming back quickly, and that's it! No ghosting or lifting of any inserts, or any abnormal wear. I am thinking that the new Stern playfields are mylar coated and the adhesive is releasing in places.

#1663 3 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

With all the talk about the problems with the new Stern playfields lately, I was wondering how everyone's TSPP playfield compares. I was also wondering what issues anyone has had with their machines in general. I have had mine since April, it was made in '04, am very happy with it and the minor issues I have had (which are all remedied) are the garage ramp breaking, the upper playfield right flipper sticking up occasionally, the right flipper switch going out, playfield dirt coming back quickly, and that's it! No ghosting or lifting of any inserts, or any abnormal wear. I am thinking that the new Stern playfields are mylar coated and the adhesive is releasing in places.

Mylar is applied in smaller problem areas like lockouts and pop bumpers. Not related to the playfield issues.

#1664 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Mylar is applied in smaller problem areas like lockouts and pop bumpers. Not related to the playfield issues.

On the new playfields? So the ghosting is the clear separating? Thanks for the info.

#1665 3 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

On the new playfields? So the ghosting is the clear separating? Thanks for the info.

Yes. The new playfields are not completely covered with a mylar protector, just spot protection. These are not the areas people are talking about when referring to lifting.

#1666 3 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

No problems for me...nib owner since 2003. Game is a tank.

#1667 3 years ago

Agreed. TSPP is a fuckin tank. Now these newer games on the other hand...

#1668 3 years ago

Got to alien invasion again tonight, locked 4 of 4 and couldn't finish....sigh. Never completed this mode. Final score 111 mil, 30 minute game.

#1669 3 years ago

Yes, locking that 5th ball is rough indeed! I've only done it twice in 2 years. Getting the 5 Super Jackpots I think is even harder.

#1670 3 years ago

Some great deals out there on TSPPs lately. Can't understand how - with the Simpsons license, great shots, and amazing code this is one of the absolute greats.

#1671 3 years ago
Quoted from RVApinballer:

Some great deals out there on TSPPs lately. Can't understand how - with the Simpsons license, great shots, and amazing code this is one of the absolute greats.

What do you consider a "great deal"? Just curious...

Anyone know what these originally cost from factory? I realize it isn't relevant to market price but I'm curious if all these HUO people are actually profiting...

#1673 3 years ago

New to TSPP and home pinball ownership. Just bought a TSPP. I know the game is designed so that you need a really solid shot to make it to the upper play field from the garage. However, my game seems more difficult than the others I've played and more concerning it seems really inconsistent. I noticed the ramp behind the garage is at an angle (slopes up from left to right). See attached image. Would really appreciate it if you all think this is the proper ramp configuration. Pics of your ramps would be awesome for comparison.

I'm also having the issue of the ball getting "stuck" periodically when it's supposed to enter the upper play field. It takes a ball search for the ball to finally make it to the upper play field. Would also appreciate any feedback on what could be causing this issue as well. Cheers, Craig

IMG_2600 (resized).JPG

#1674 3 years ago

The switch on the VUK in upper left needs adjusted and/or replaced so that ot consistently registers the ball sitting on top of it.

You can remove the upper playfield and see it from top. Or remove the mech from bottom and adjust it.

When you have the upper playfield off you can debug whats wrong with the garage center ramp.

There are 3 or 4 connectors under the playfield that i would label very carefully before disconnecting. I used a black sharpie and wrote 1 1 2 2 3 3 on the plastic connectors so it was dumb simple to know how it goes back together.

#1675 3 years ago

The ramp looks a little bent to me. Maybe someone will be able to post a pic of their's and offer a more expert opinion.

#1676 3 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

The switch on the VUK in upper left needs adjusted and/or replaced so that ot consistently registers the ball sitting on top of it.
You can remove the upper playfield and see it from top. Or remove the mech from bottom and adjust it.
When you have the upper playfield off you can debug whats wrong with the garage center ramp.
There are 3 or 4 connectors under the playfield that i would label very carefully before disconnecting. I used a black sharpie and wrote 1 1 2 2 3 3 on the plastic connectors so it was dumb simple to know how it goes back together.

Rick, thanks for the information on the VUK switch and how to access that. Does your garage ramp appear to slope upward from left to right like mine does in this pic? The company I bought the pin from says its normal but the performance of the ramp feels very inconsistent so I'm trying to figure out what the ramp slope is like in other TSPP games. Thanks all.

#1677 3 years ago

Does this help?
garageview (resized).jpg

#1678 3 years ago

The metal ramp has a gentle curve bent into it to help loft the ball over the gap. Yours might need to be reshaped It is easily accessible by removing the upper playfield. Download a manual to get yourself familiar witn the workings of the machine. I noticed that on mine, the ramp had flattened out over the years so I removed and reshaped it. The ball goes quite easily to the vuk.

#1679 3 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Rick, thanks for the information on the VUK switch and how to access that. Does your garage ramp appear to slope upward from left to right like mine does in this pic? The company I bought the pin from says its normal but the performance of the ramp feels very inconsistent so I'm trying to figure out what the ramp slope is like in other TSPP games. Thanks all.

I sold my game a few months back. But i thought it looked slanted. There is a metal ramp and then a jump over a gap and then a plastic ramp the sends the ball around to the upper left corner. The front lip of that plastic ramp can often grt damage.

Cliffy makes some protectors for this game that i put on as soon as i got the game. There is one for the front edge of the plastic center ramp for sure.

If you take the upper playfield off it will be obvious if you have a problem.

Upper playfield come off fairly easy. Remove the backstop leds/bulbs on left, Loosen a couple black thumb screws near the upper flippers and it comes up. Like i said there are quite a few wires goign to that upper playfield. So take time.

Rick

#1680 3 years ago

More yellow!!

IMG20160907221029 (resized).jpg

IMG20160907221310 (resized).jpg

#1681 3 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

I sold my game a few months back. But i thought it looked slanted. There is a metal ramp and then a jump over a gap and then a plastic ramp the sends the ball around to the upper left corner. The front lip of that plastic ramp can often grt damage.
Cliffy makes some protectors for this game that i put on as soon as i got the game. There is one for the front edge of the plastic center ramp for sure.
If you take the upper playfield off it will be obvious if you have a problem.
Upper playfield come off fairly easy. Remove the backstop leds/bulbs on left, Loosen a couple black thumb screws near the upper flippers and it comes up. Like i said there are quite a few wires goign to that upper playfield. So take time.
Rick

Rick, thank you. Did you take the TV off before taking off the UPF or is that not necessary?

#1682 3 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

Does this help?

Yes, it does! Thank you for taking the time to get a picture. The ramp in the picture you sent looks much level and conducive to launching the ball to make the UPF vs. the one I posted above.

#1683 3 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Rick, thank you. Did you take the TV off before taking off the UPF or is that not necessary?

Tv can stay. There are three or four connectors underneath the playfield, including one for the tv, label and unplug them, then remove the three thumbscrews and the pf lifts right up. If i were you, i would put leds under that playfield so you never have to remove it to change a bulb.

#1684 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Tv can stay. There are three or four connectors underneath the playfield, including one for the tv, label and unplug them, then remove the three thumbscrews and the pf lifts right up. If i were you, i would put leds under that playfield so you never have to remove it to change a bulb.

Thank you. Pretty sure game had all bulbs replaced with LED before I bought it from dealer but I will double check that. Good call. -- Craig

#1685 3 years ago

What lights are in your cooling towers? Those look pretty cool.

#1686 3 years ago

I think it's pretty clear that a gradual "deformation" of the garage ramp (which feeds the upper play field) may occur over time. Obviously getting to the UPF is a critical part of this game and having a ramp configured like the designer intended is going to have a big effect on the game. Been trying to collect a few different pictures of ramps with feedback on how difficult/consistent each game is in regards to getting to upper play field from garage. For what it's worth, here are pictures of 3 different ramps side by side (my ramp is in the middle and appears to have an obvious upward slope from left to right which will effect the performance of the ramp). If anyone else is able to take a pic of their ramp it would be appreciated. My game is still under warranty from the dealer and they are saying the slope is intentional but I'm just not convinced. It plays funky...and I realize the designer intended for it to take a solid shot to clear the ramp. Thanks guys!

TSPP-Ramp (resized).png

#1687 3 years ago

Nice, Stern please do this for the upcoming Vault edition

#1688 3 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

I think it's pretty clear that a gradual "deformation" of the garage ramp (which feeds the upper play field) may occur over time. Obviously getting to the UPF is a critical part of this game and having a ramp configured like the designer intended is going to have a big effect on the game. Been trying to collect a few different pictures of ramps with feedback on how difficult/consistent each game is in regards to getting to upper play field from garage. For what it's worth, here are pictures of 3 different ramps side by side (my ramp is in the middle and appears to have an obvious upward slope from left to right which will effect the performance of the ramp). If anyone else is able to take a pic of their ramp it would be appreciated. My game is still under warranty from the dealer and they are saying the slope is intentional but I'm just not convinced. It plays funky...and I realize the designer intended for it to take a solid shot to clear the ramp. Thanks guys!

Have you removed the upper playfield to get a better look?

#1689 3 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

What lights are in your cooling towers? Those look pretty cool.

Just blue LEDs. They come out a little purple in real life, but the camera exaggerates that too. They are more blue to look at.

#1690 3 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Have you removed the upper playfield to get a better look?

Not yet. I've got a tech coming out on Saturday and going to watch him do it first.

#1691 3 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Not yet. I've got a tech coming out on Saturday and going to watch him do it first.

Hopefully you arent paying him to remove the upper pf, its really very easy to do. Once you do it, it will give you confidence to do other things.

Btw, in addition to replacing bulbs on the upper of, replace all of the gi bulbs in that area especially the one(s) by comic book guy, which cannot be accessed from underneath.

#1692 3 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Once you see it, it won't be that difficult. It can be intimidating to work on these machines, but owning one is to work on one. That small metal ramp is easily removed and reshaped. It does get hammered in operation and this is normal.

#1693 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Hopefully you arent paying him to remove the upper pf, its really very easy to do. Once you do it, it will give you confidence to do other things.
Btw, in addition to replacing bulbs on the upper of, replace all of the gi bulbs in that area especially the one(s) by comic book guy, which cannot be accessed from underneath.

the game is still covered under warranty from the company I bought from so they are covering tech time. He is going to fix issue with itchy and scratch middle drop target and also the issue with the ball getting periodically stuck on way up to the upper play field.

#1694 3 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

That small metal ramp is easily removed and reshaped. It does get hammered in operation and this is normal.

Thank you for confirming that you have experienced this and have corrected with reshaping the ramp.

#1695 3 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

the game is still covered under warranty from the company I bought from so they are covering tech time. He is going to fix issue with itchy and scratch middle drop target and also the issue with the ball getting periodically stuck on way up to the upper play field.

Both of these are simple fixes. I had an issue where one of the I&S targets would stay up and interfere with ball ejection. It was a broken wire at the small coil that lowers the targets.

#1696 3 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Both of these are simple fixes. I had an issue where one of the I&S targets would stay up and interfere with ball ejection. It was a broken wire at the small coil that lowers the targets.

That is exactly the issue I'm having with the middle target. Great call!

#1697 3 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

That is exactly the issue I'm having with the middle target. Great call!

Those targets get bashed pretty hard and the wires that wrap around the tiny release coils are very thin. Removing the entire drop target assembly to work on it was the way to go. Pretty straightforward as it just unplugs from the harness. I was able to resolder the wire to the tab. Make sure to leave some slack so that it doesn't break again.

#1698 3 years ago

I just mean that compared to the other top games out there and their prices I feel like under $5k for such a fully featured title seems like a great buy.

Quoted from brainmegaphone:

What do you consider a "great deal"? Just curious...
Anyone know what these originally cost from factory? I realize it isn't relevant to market price but I'm curious if all these HUO people are actually profiting...

#1699 3 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Those targets get bashed pretty hard and the wires that wrap around the tiny release coils are very thin. Removing the entire drop target assembly to work on it was the way to go. Pretty straightforward as it just unplugs from the harness. I was able to resolder the wire to the tab. Make sure to leave some slack so that it doesn't break again.

Good to know. Looking forward to pretending like I'm an expert when the tech shows up! Thanks again. -- Craig

#1700 3 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Good to know. Looking forward to pretending like I'm an expert when the tech shows up! Thanks again. -- Craig

Its good to know your limitations. Learn and ask questions without getting in the way or on the techs nerves. Esp while its under warrantee. No doubt the machine will need tweaks and fixes along the way after the warrantee period. You will learn by getting your feet wet and asking questions on pinside of course.

One word of caution on leds and TSPP. I didnt like them until i got the LEDOCD add on board. That is definitely the way to go. Not all machines need the LEDOCD but with TSPP its 100% needed IMHO.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
There are 5205 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 105.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside