(Topic ID: 50801)

The Simpsons Pinball Party (TSPP) Owners Club..... Members Only!!!

By kwiKimart

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,235 posts
  • 703 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by dtmail209
  • Topic is favorited by 325 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6498 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6490 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6491 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6488 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6489 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240129_174034 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240129_174044 (resized).jpg
IMG_20240129_174050 (resized).jpg
IMG_6018 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6025 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6024 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6023 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5983 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5977 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5974 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2216 (resized).jpeg

There are 7,235 posts in this topic. You are on page 144 of 145.
#7151 3 months ago

I have noticed both the right and left flippers make a loud buzzing sound when you hold down to catch the ball. Is this the coil stop or coil all together? Does anyone have ideas and if it’s an easy fix? I’m a new pinball owner so still trying to learn the ropes

IMG_8868 (resized).jpegIMG_8868 (resized).jpegIMG_8869 (resized).jpegIMG_8869 (resized).jpeg
#7152 3 months ago
Quoted from RyanSterling:

I have noticed both the right and left flippers make a loud buzzing sound when you hold down to catch the ball. Is this the coil stop or coil all together? Does anyone have ideas and if it’s an easy fix? I’m a new pinball owner so still trying to learn the ropes
[quoted image][quoted image]

Mine has always done that. I think I asked about this years ago and learned it was normal for this machine/Whitestar system.

#7153 3 months ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Cliffy's are a must, the center ramp protector is the most important as that ramp is impossible to find and will eventually break if you don't have a protector on it...YMMV

Which ramp is the center ramp?

#7154 3 months ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Which ramp is the center ramp?

Garage ramp. This is the one that often breaks and when it does it makes the garage shot much harder because the ball has less to land on. Get the cliffy protector for it - no matter what his wait time is.

The protector will also help fix a broken ramp by providing some substance where some plastic may have broken off.

#7155 3 months ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

Garage ramp. This is the one that often breaks and when it does it makes the garage shot much harder because the ball has less to land on. Get the cliffy protector for it - no matter what his wait time is.
The protector will also help fix a broken ramp by providing some substance where some plastic may have broken off.

Thanks. Didn't realize there was even a ramp back in there

#7156 3 months ago

My center ramp broke, I saved the broken piece and epoxied it back using the cliffy as a brace placed under the ramp. Has worked for years.

#7157 3 months ago

Mine does the same thing.

Quoted from RyanSterling:

[quoted image][quoted image]

#7158 3 months ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Thanks. Didn't realize there was even a ramp back in there

Take off the upper playfield to see inside the garage assembly. It's worth doing just to see and understand what's in there. It's very easy, there are three large thumbscrews that secure the upper playfield, two near the flippers and one in the back left corner. Undo those and the upper playfield lifts off (be careful of attached wiring of course.) The flippers stay in place, and it's weird as heck seeing them just floating in the void with the upper playfield off.

Once you're in there, you'll see everything - the garage consists of a short ramp where the ball jumps over the left orbit pathway, and that's why if it doesn't make it then the ball falls down the left orbit.

#7159 3 months ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

Take off the upper playfield to see inside the garage assembly. It's worth doing just to see and understand what's in there. It's very easy, there are three large thumbscrews that secure the upper playfield, two near the flippers and one in the back left corner. Undo those and the upper playfield lifts off (be careful of attached wiring of course.) The flippers stay in place, and it's weird as heck seeing them just floating in the void with the upper playfield off.
Once you're in there, you'll see everything - the garage consists of a short ramp where the ball jumps over the left orbit pathway, and that's why if it doesn't make it then the ball falls down the left orbit.

Thanks for the detail. Sounds like a very service-oriented upper playfield design.

1 week later
#7160 3 months ago
Quoted from calgark:

I'll second that LED OCD is a must if you LED your game.

Besides that, I found that replacing the fluorescent tube with an LED one made a huge improvement.

Agreed on both points. The backbone light is a small change, but appreciated.

LEDOCD is a literal game changer. Person I bought it from came over to play and the first words out of his mouth was "You must have put an OCD board in here. Major difference."

#7161 3 months ago
Quoted from Nicholastree:

Priorities for mods in order:
1. Art blades
2. Color DMD
3. Decals for the sensors on the PF and the Kwik-E-Mart
4. In Rod We Trust flasher (goes next to cooling towers). This is one of the best bang-for-the-buck mods out there.
5. Duffman or Duff beer can in back right
6. If you get the nuclear rails, you really should powder-coat all the armor. It's just a spectacular ensemble. Yellow or radioactive green are best color options, IMO.
7. Pinsound card mod
I'm assuming your machine already has all LEDs. If not, get Coin Taker non-ghosting set and put that at number 1 above. Also, make sure your machine isn't using AA batteries. Switch out to a lithium battery or better yet, the NVRAM.
Enjoy! Such a great game.

Personally, I'd prioritize gameplay changing items.

I'd go with ColorDMD at the top. Instant and significant change.

PinSound would come second. The Baptiste and Scandell mixes are both great. When I want a change of pace, I'll swap one out for the other.

LEDOCD would be the third (maybe 2nd, since you see that damned flickering all the time).

After that, it's all personal preference and customization.

#7162 3 months ago

Thanks for all your input! Color DMD, all led, OCD board, new plastics and ramps, cliffys, art blades, NVRAM, and probably pinsound board with shaker. I have custom powdered armor coming, but messed up a little. I didn’t realize the hinge bolts were different on TSPP vs after 2005. I’m having them powdered. Is there any way to use those bolts?…oh, I’m having the nuclear armor/hinges powdered.

#7163 3 months ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Thanks for all your input! Color DMD, all led, OCD board, new plastics and ramps, cliffys, art blades, NVRAM, and probably pinsound board with shaker. I have custom powdered armor coming, but messed up a little. I didn’t realize the hinge bolts were different on TSPP vs after 2005. I’m having them powdered. Is there any way to use those bolts?…oh, I’m having the nuclear armor/hinges powdered.

That's gonna be a super-sweet TSPP when you're done.

I've known people who just paint their leg bolts (can of spray paint with primer built in). So that's an option if you don't want to send the leg bolts back to be PC'd.

#7164 3 months ago

Thinking about making the LED swap finally on my TSPP. I was going to start with Comet sale and use white 2SMD bulbs in frosted and clear and definitely get OCD board. The list of controlled bulbs is in the manual and I guess I could count the GI bulbs myself, but for ease and future collectors, does anyone have a bulb list put together that they could post?

#7165 3 months ago

I’d guess at 125, not including flashers. Luckily, there’s no bulbs in the back box.

#7166 3 months ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I’d guess at 125, not including flashers. Luckily, there’s no bulbs in the back box.

Get an LED tube from Marco for the back box.

#7167 3 months ago

For those looking to switch their fluorescent tube to LED, I bought one of these 4 packs from Amazon and have used them in TSPP and a Gottlieb Genesis without issue. As others have mentioned, I rotated the bulb so the "light" was shining at the PCBs for a nice dim backbox.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088R8X6LK

#7168 3 months ago

What is the source of the +12V power for the DMD display? On earlier games it looks like it came from the Display driver board but from the manual the schematics removed the 12V regulator. Is it then coming off the 12V from Bridge 3 on the driver? Helping a friend troubleshoot a game that is missing 12V on the DMD but it does has 12V and -12V going to the MPU for the sound section. Is there another Fuse on the 12V line for the DMD? Not sure if there is a connection that may be off. The manual isn't exactly clear on where that 12V is sourced from.

#7169 3 months ago

who makes the led backbox mod that replaced the bulb? Can't seem to find it in this thread...

#7170 3 months ago
Quoted from monkfe:

who makes the led backbox mod that replaced the bulb? Can't seem to find it in this thread...

That’s us…

https://lermods.com/products/the-simpsons-pinball-party-pinball-led-strip-backbox-light-kit

#7173 3 months ago

I have created a new glass cover specifically for the Simpsons Pinball Party pinball machine. It can be ordered for $50 from the link below. Thanks to the fellow Pinsider for the suggestion.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1505-duke-pinball/09735-simpsons-glass-cover-

176DC7FC-6D70-4AD3-AD32-DDC20BDB5C8F (resized).jpeg176DC7FC-6D70-4AD3-AD32-DDC20BDB5C8F (resized).jpeg
#7174 3 months ago

I’m in!

The one I have is distorted.

IMG_1721 (resized).jpegIMG_1721 (resized).jpeg
#7175 3 months ago

Looking for input on installing LEDs in the inserts only. For this game do people match the color or just go with white? If just white, what hue of white?

Also, my TSPP is back East so if anyone knows the number of LEDs needs for the inserts?

#7176 3 months ago
Quoted from aamauzy:

For those looking to switch their fluorescent tube to LED, I bought one of these 4 packs from Amazon and have used them in TSPP and a Gottlieb Genesis without issue. As others have mentioned, I rotated the bulb so the "light" was shining at the PCBs for a nice dim backbox.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088R8X6LK

did you have to pull the original starter out of machine?

#7177 3 months ago
Quoted from meSz:

Looking for input on installing LEDs in the inserts only. For this game do people match the color or just go with white? If just white, what hue of white?
Also, my TSPP is back East so if anyone knows the number of LEDs needs for the inserts?

no need to color match anything, except reds occasionally. sometimes they look pink.

#7178 3 months ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

did you have to pull the original starter out of machine?

You're supposed to, according to the bulb instructions. That said - I'm a lazy bastard and didn't, and it's worked fine for almost a year

#7179 3 months ago
Quoted from meSz:

I put in Comet sunshine.

#7180 3 months ago
Quoted from meSz:

My new rule when I LED older games is to just use a consistent bright LED like a Comet white for all the inserts... and then after doing them I take a close look to see whether the colors are changing/bleeding on an insert. If they are I will color match just that insert. On the last 2 games I did an LED job on I only saw one type of blue and one type of red/orange that seemed to change and I wanted to color match it. Most people would have probably left it.

Hopefully you are getting the LED OCD Board for your game - but if you are not getting that board then make sure you buy non-ghosting LEDs for the inserts.

#7181 3 months ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

My new rule when I LED older games is to just use a consistent bright LED like a Comet white for all the inserts... and then after doing them I take a close look to see whether the colors are changing/bleeding on an insert. If they are I will color match just that insert. On the last 2 games I did an LED job on I only saw one type of blue and one type of red/orange that seemed to change and I wanted to color match it. Most people would have probably left it.
Hopefully you are getting the LED OCD Board for your game - but if you are not getting that board then make sure you buy non-ghosting LEDs for the inserts.

This is what I am doing. As the years have passed, I have favored fewer colored LEDs and can find that they take away from the artwork in many situations. Ordered them over the weekend with the LED OCD board because I also hate it when lighting isn’t smooth and flicks. Too early for me to tell you how it works out since they arrived today and I don’t have time to install yet.

#7182 3 months ago

I'm looking into the Pinsound board and their shaker. If you've installed a pinsound board and/or shaker is it worth the $700 and upgrades in a TSPP?

I'd like to keep the sounds stock, but with upgrades provided by the board and trigger off them. I'm assuming this is available. I've had a Pinsound board in a GNR and it was awesome!

It seems like the sound upgrades and shaker.could be amazing in a TSPP, but looking for any feedback, links, or tips.

#7183 3 months ago
Quoted from Casey_Bryson:

I'm looking into the Pinsound board and their shaker. If you've installed a pinsound board and/or shaker is it worth the $700 and upgrades in a TSPP?
I'd like to keep the sounds stock, but with upgrades provided by the board and trigger off them. I'm assuming this is available. I've had a Pinsound board in a GNR and it was awesome!
It seems like the sound upgrades and shaker.could be amazing in a TSPP, but looking for any feedback, links, or tips.

I have one...its a huge upgrade on this machine...there are two really good sound packages avail...I don't ever use the stock one anymore...I don't recall it costing 700, but I guess if you purchase new speakers from them...maybe so...I just purchased the speakers off ebay, you don't need to spend big money on better speakers...ymmv

#7184 3 months ago
Quoted from monkfe:

I have one...its a huge upgrade on this machine...there are two really good sound packages avail...I don't ever use the stock one anymore...I don't recall it costing 700, but I guess if you purchase new speakers from them...maybe so...I just purchased the speakers off ebay, you don't need to spend big money on better speakers...ymmv

Thanks! the $700 is with the shaker. I agree about the stock speakers, they are better than Spike speakers even though they look like POS cheap no-name speakers. I'll have to try the other sound packages out, but hard to imagine it would beat the stock call outs, though variety is the spice of life.

I read most of this thread and haven't seen a whole lot of discussion on the pinsound shaker for TSPP so I might have to program it myself, but imagine I will anyway unless there's a truly kickass one already made. I find a lot of Stern machines underutilize the shaker.

I thought about using a PinShaker, but apparently it's tied to either the Flashers or solenoids (as if 4 years ago) versus sound callouts with Pinsound so much better opportunity to dial it in.

#7185 3 months ago

Thanks! the $700 is with the shaker. I agree about the stock speakers, they are better than Spike speakers even though they look like POS cheap no-name speakers. I'll have to try the other sound packages out, but hard to imagine it would beat the stock call outs, though variety is the spice of life.
I read most of this thread and haven't seen a whole lot of discussion on the pinsound shaker for TSPP so I might have to program it myself, but imagine I will anyway unless there's a truly kickass one already made. I find a lot of Stern machines underutilize the shaker.
I thought about using a PinShaker, but apparently it's tied to either the Flashers or solenoids (as if 4 years ago) versus sound callouts with Pinsound so much better opportunity to dial it in.

there was some discussion when they came out, both are great and they have the other characters from the show not just the ones Stern was able to get...you'll have to look back a bit...with shakers, less is more for me...This is one game I don't miss it on..but I'm sure there are times it could be used judiciously...

#7186 3 months ago

Going back in time here but if I remember correctly, there were do passion sound packages you can get. I don’t remember their names but you can google it.

Both are good but I thought only one of them had the shaker programmed. They both might now.

It’s really easy to swap between them. I have the headphone holder and you simply turn the headphone dial to the max and back down and you hear a chime. You can swap through them all.

That being said… I found the original sound file for the game sounds like crap. And again going from memory I think it’s a copy of the original and not the original master.

I have done the mod and wish I never did it. If I can do it over again I would keep the original sound package and update the speakers maybe. The sound packages are good but not perfect.

About me: I like alternative sound packages. Have it on GOTG, STH and had it on JP and TWD. All were fantastic.

It’s been a couple years since I did the mod and I will bring it back to stock if I find the time and energy to do so. Goodluck.

#7187 3 months ago

I believe the shaker motor only works with Baptiste sound mode not the original.

#7188 3 months ago

I have the pinshakers in my game and like it a lot. I have one of the earlier versions. One of the triggers I use is the flasher on the upper playfield so when couch mb starts the shaker goes off a lot and integrates well with the mode.

#7189 3 months ago

Upgraded front of cabinet

IMG_5353 (resized).jpgIMG_5353 (resized).jpg
#7190 3 months ago

If anyone would like a TSPP TV before Christmas, you may want to order in the next week, or so. Things get busy this time of year

Link to the listing in my Pinside Shop: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1132-sparky-pinball/01506-tspp-video-display-tv

Link to the listing on Mezelmods: https://mezelmods.com/collections/simpsons-pinball-party-pinball-mods/products/simpsons-pinball-party-tv-video-display-mod-mdm

Video below:

1 week later
#7191 82 days ago

If anybody has a source on a working TSPP cpu pcb please let me know your asking price. Trying to get this thing back up and running for my location before years end.

1 week later
#7192 75 days ago

Hello all I got some time on TSPP yesterday at a pinball hall in Budapest and I am very keen to find one for my collection. I'm thinking of trying to trade my Theatre of Magic for one and I wonder what you all think of that trade? My TOM is very clean with an alternate translite, sideart, and upgraded trunk boards. Cost/value-wise is this about an even trade in your opinion? Thanks!

#7193 74 days ago

I have the pinsound board. And just kept the rest stock.

The additional sound packages are really good and add a nice variety. But if I was going for a high score I would stick with the original soundtrack, I feel that sound package communicates what is going on in the game the best. Probably because it is the most simple.

#7194 74 days ago
Quoted from DuffysArcade:

Hello all I got some time on TSPP yesterday at a pinball hall in Budapest and I am very keen to find one for my collection. I'm thinking of trying to trade my Theatre of Magic for one and I wonder what you all think of that trade? My TOM is very clean with an alternate translite, sideart, and upgraded trunk boards. Cost/value-wise is this about an even trade in your opinion? Thanks!

I would guess that is about equivalent. You might be waiting a long time to find a trading partner though, especially if you expect it local. Might be just as well off selling the TOM and buying a TSPP.

#7195 73 days ago

Doh! I'm in the club...

20231203_203126 (resized).jpg20231203_203126 (resized).jpg
#7196 72 days ago

Hi, I have my Simpsons now for 1,5 months, in good conditions and with one year warranty. But one question, is the playfield just adhered? It feels not like my 1979 Bally direct painted playfield. And if I look focused on the playfield I can see something like air bubbles.

I had bad experience with playfield protectors in my Bally, ball stucks and not rolling like without, is there anything else I can do to protect the playfield?

#7197 72 days ago
Quoted from LoudHoward:

Hi, I have my Simpsons now for 1,5 months, in good conditions and with one year warranty. But one question, is the playfield just adhered? It feels not like my 1979 Bally direct painted playfield. And if I look focused on the playfield I can see something like air bubbles.
I had bad experience with playfield protectors in my Bally, ball stucks and not rolling like without, is there anything else I can do to protect the playfield?

Well, it’s a 20 year old PF at this point so I wouldn’t worry too much about it. To protect the PF, wax it every few weeks (clean off the wax using soft cotton - old Tshirts work well - and change balls whenever they start to show wear/uneveness(maybe every 300 plays?). The wax my tech recommended is:

IMG_0088 (resized).jpegIMG_0088 (resized).jpeg
#7198 71 days ago
Quoted from LoudHoward:

Hard to say what the bubbles are without pics. There could be some kind of Mylar or protector on the playfield. And if so a very nice playfield May be hiding underneath.

Best way to protect is keep the pf clean and change balls every few hundred plays. And wax can help as mentioned.

1 week later
#7199 64 days ago

For some "odd" reason, all of a sudden, the ball at the start of each play is being overly forced into the shooter lane. I looked all throughout the service menu and couldn't find anyway to adjust it. Any thoughts??

#7200 62 days ago

Hi everyone just joined the club , what an awesome game
I'm having a issue with on start up in goes into ball search and ejects all the balls from the trough ? What would be causing this ? It's plays perfect other than that
Any help would be much appreciated
Cheers

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
Toys/Add-ons
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 12.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
Led
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 7,235 posts in this topic. You are on page 144 of 145.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-owners-club-members-only/page/144 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.