Topic Stats

• 5,213 posts
  • 525 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by shiffdog
  • Topic is favorited by 230 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,173 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3309 (resized).JPG
IMG_20200803_172731 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200803_172719 (resized).jpg
61748168017__70815519-6ACF-4B73-BECF-7DC1FEA0408B (resized).jpeg
A0D68876-1930-4073-9648-8863380838AC (resized).jpeg
ACA2DF20-D27C-42C8-B9FD-A5B6E1DB6D2C (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200724_213531985 (resized).jpg
TSPPpin (resized).png
1DAD4D72-F2CE-49B6-A19F-D22A77DB4FE5 (resized).jpeg
3D10FBF1-4CD4-41CE-931C-F093D5A2C5D6 (resized).jpeg
3741CF5C-6136-4A22-8DA0-34448314306C (resized).jpeg
552DF7F9-C717-4A90-89AE-C350720A64D5 (resized).jpeg
A2229329-7606-4258-B5D2-B2AAA1BE5DBB (resized).jpeg
4A3E60C9-A32C-4416-BB5D-5E7DB2583194 (resized).jpeg
46AC71E6-1F8E-4525-9767-D7CB850C05AD (resized).jpeg
57A30AF3-F6B1-450B-8770-128ED0B91B71 (resized).jpeg

There are 5213 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 105.
#551 5 years ago

Getting the upper play field off is easy - just 3 large black nobs to unscrew and lift clear of the flippers. The TV is easy to remove as well to get to the switch behind. Just may need a little bend to make it more prominent to register. Rarely does it need resoldering. I've had one switch give up - at the base of the upper play field VUK. This is easy to access from under the whole play field - so just unscrew and solder in a new one.

#552 5 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Getting the upper play field off is easy - just 3 large black nobs to unscrew and lift clear of the flippers. The TV is easy to remove as well to get to the switch behind. Just may need a little bend to make it more prominent to register. Rarely does it need resoldering. I've had one switch give up - at the base of the upper play field VUK. This is easy to access from under the whole play field - so just unscrew and solder in a new one.

Thanks.

For better or worse - I'm not actually afraid to try or anything. Just want to make sure I'm trying the right thing before diving in. For whatever reason, the inside cover of the manual goes over how to remove the upper playfield. Doesn't look too complicated, and I'll take a metic ton of photos along the way just in case. Will see how it goes soon enough.

Edit - done and done. Works like a charm. As suggested - I just needed to bend the little curved bit that sticks up through the mini-playfield. Might even have been able to do it without taking the playfield off, but I'm glad I did in part just to get over fears of messing anything up. Only disconnected the TV and TV mode sign wires - didn't undo anything that feeds up through the hole in the main playfield. Was simple enough to undo the playfield, flip it over, unscrewed the switch from the bottom to get better access to it and then give that bit a little bend.

Threw a ball through it during the switch test after wards and it registered every time. Played a game and had none of the timer draining issues at all.

Feels good.

#553 5 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

I don't think You can just undo the three thumbscrews and lift the PF unless you want to pull your wires apart. You have to also undo three connectors underneath the PF, including one for the tv, which is a z connector. You'll need to feed the wires through from the bottom or they will snag, helps to have a helper pull from the top while someone else feeds from the bottom. It is easy after you do it the first time. Sounds like you've done it, but I did not have enought slack to pull the PF up with all the wires attached.

While you have it out put LEDs in the bulbs sockets and all around that area. I'd replace the switch in question as you could button it all back up and still have the problem...though seems it has been fixed for now

#554 5 years ago

Finally!!! After a year of heavy play, I finally FINISHED Alien Invasion! 5 balls locked. All other mini-wizard modes I've completed multiple times -- never in same game -- but this is the first time to finish Alien Invasion!! Woo hoo!!

#555 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I don't think You can just undo the three thumbscrews and lift the PF unless you want to pull your wires apart. You have to also undo three connectors underneath the PF, including one for the tv, which is a z connector. You'll need to feed the wires through from the bottom or they will snag, helps to have a helper pull from the top while someone else feeds from the bottom. It is easy after you do it the first time. Sounds like you've done it, but I did not have enought slack to pull the PF up with all the wires attached.
While you have it out put LEDs in the bulbs sockets and all around that area. I'd replace the switch in question as you could button it all back up and still have the problem...though seems it has been fixed for now

Yeah - there's really not much you can do by undoing the three screws only. At the very least you have to disconnect the connectors from the back of the TV and TV mode signs. I checked to see where the wires through the hole in the main playfield went, but I was doing this solo, so I just did things with the mini playfield semi in place. Don't think I'll take that apart without another set of arms in the future. But with the two connectors undone I was able to lift the playfield and get to the underside as needed.

Replacing the switch would probably be wise, but I don't have a spare on hand. Nor a soldering iron for that matter. First time owner that hasn't stocked up on things yet. It's at the top of the list.

#556 5 years ago

You can undo the three screws, and lift the playfield and rest it on the backboard without disconnecting the wires.

#557 5 years ago
Quoted from scottslash:

Finally!!! After a year of heavy play, I finally FINISHED Alien Invasion! 5 balls locked. All other mini-wizard modes I've completed multiple times -- never in same game -- but this is the first time to finish Alien Invasion!! Woo hoo!!

Congrats, I've never done it since I've owned it, 2003. Locked 4 balls, but that's it. It's very hard to do. I'm a decent player, my high is like 206 mil on 3 ball.

#558 5 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

You can undo the three screws, and lift the playfield and rest it on the backboard without disconnecting the wires.

Well, I just discovered that you certainly don't need to disconnect the wires to the TV Mode sign - they're completely independent of the playfield. Of course I found this out since I just had to take it back apart. Wasn't careful about the wires when I put it back earlier and a some hung out over the hidden garage ramp. Went to play and the the first ball into the garage never came out.

Not hard to fix, but nuts. Was a bit more careful this time. Seated the playfield, then wrestled a bit with the wires from beneath the main playfield. Could tell when I had it right when I knew what to look out for. Tightened it down and things are (finally) back to normal.

Table is lucky that I'm a big ol' nerd and find this all interesting.

Edit - I have angered the Gods or something. Switch almost immediately acting up. Switch test registering roughly 50% of the time I put a ball through - even when I hear the little click sound that the switch makes when it's getting pressed down. Pulled it all apart and adjusted it again a bit - it's now really sensitive. Test mode works *most* of the time, and I was able to play a couple games where the switch worked all but once or twice, but it controls the TV mode starts and the timer - really need it at 100%.

Assuming the next step is just replacing it?

For what it's worth - here's a picture of the switch. In comparing it to a new one, I do immediately see that the diode has been bent over. Could that cause this intermittent issue? (I honestly have no damn idea what a diode does.)

PS - Thanks again to everyone that has offered advice and help here. Sorry to dominate the thread so much. First time owner, and learning the ropes.

20150106_210914.jpg
#559 5 years ago

You could tinker and play around with that switch until you drive yourself nuts. I'd start with replacing it and see if that does the trick. Being a n00b myself, ive been thinking about putting some sort of list together of different switches to keep in the ole toolbox in case stuff like this comes up.

#560 5 years ago

Having a couple of these microswitches around is convenient. When they go bad, they go flaky. Bending the actuator (the wire) can sometimes help (although it is not a good fix), as can moving the switch in the mount.

#561 5 years ago

Anyone here have the Sparky MDM mod? If so, can you provide input on the mod (like it, ease to install etc) and most importantly where did you download the video from to put on the card? I am on the fence with purchasing the MDM. If I purchase I would like to put Itchy & Scratchy video on it but was wondering where people got their video from. Also, how long is the video you put on?

#562 5 years ago
Quoted from Beatnik-Filmstar:

Heed this advice. Finger was definitely pressing it harder.
Went into the switch test mode and just tossed a ball up there over and over. It's registering maybe 1 of 5 times. (edit - for the record, even pressing it by hand was no longer registering a closed switch every time.)
Also "played" a few games with the glass off, and there's definitely no rhyme or reason to it. Seems to read the hit properly when the TV mode is lit, but I was also getting it just sit there as well. Oddly enough, it would occasionally trigger the DMD animation for the start of the mode, but still hold the ball until the ball search routine before releasing it. I'm assuming the switch has to register as closed for a short period of time or something? I would have thought it was a 1/0 on or off type of thing.
So my completely uneducated guess is that I need to either clean the switch, or check the soldering for it? Which of course means pulling the upper playfield regardless? Anyone willing to weigh in on this before I start? Should I maybe just replace the switch entirely while I'm in there? (Also - someone please come hold my hand.)

I actually learned something in 18 years of collecting! Just replace bad switches. Also, buy just the switch part from a supplier and move the actuator as necessary. Diodes are cheap as well so get some of them that you can solder on. Cheaper and you can have some on-hand for multiple games that way. The timing of the switch is determined in software, and the diode is required because it's in a matrix (the diode prevents multiple switches from registering). There is no worry about the timing of the switch as it's binary to the software (off or on).

#563 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Anyone here have the Sparky MDM mod? If so, can you provide input on the mod (like it, ease to install etc) and most importantly where did you download the video from to put on the card? I am on the fence with purchasing the MDM. If I purchase I would like to put Itchy & Scratchy video on it but was wondering where people got their video from. Also, how long is the video you put on?

PM sent.

I sent Mesz info regarding the video, but anyone else is welcome to chime in regarding his other questions about whether you like it or not, ease of install, etc.

BTW, I've put the TSPP and all the other MDM's out of stock on the website because of a tech problem on a handful of MDM's using the plastic bezel. This is a different size display than what the TSPP uses, and as far as I know, the TSPP TV hasn't had the same problem. If anyone is interested in the TSPP TV, let me know, and I can put them in stock as needed.

www.sparkypinball.com

#564 5 years ago

Just replace the switch. Pop the armature off and move it to the new switch. Move the diode or replace, and make sure it's in the right direction and that it doesn't touch any metal. Bent is not a big deal, most of them are.

#565 5 years ago

New switch ordered last night. Just got a replacement for the whole thing to minimize my frustration. Will cannibalize and keep what I can from the old one for future use though. Picked up a soldering iron and solder earlier today. (After reading more pinside threads about which type of solder to get than I care to admit.) And a set of nut drivers since it seems they'll be needed sooner or later.

Ugh. As I'm typing this, I just realized that I may have ordered the wrong switch. One that cost a couple extra dollars as well.

This is what I ordered:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1772

Double checking the manual, the part number was supposed to be 500-6227-02, which corresponds to this:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=536

They look more or less the same other than the end of the wire, but I realize that they may be vastly different in some way. Anyone know if the one I ordered will make a difference?

Thanks yet again.

#566 5 years ago

Those switches look like the mount from an older sega/data east pin.

Not sure about the actual switch. Maybe someone else can chime in.

#567 5 years ago

Good luck with the replacement. It's fun to learn to solder (even if we all pronounce it differently: WOZ thread reference). Get on of those "extra hand" thingies with the magnifying glass and alligator clips on a stand to help hold all the bits and stop the blisters on the fingers. I agree, new switches are easier to deal with than repairing old ones.

#568 5 years ago

Well, moot point on whether the wrong switch I ordered will work. pinballlife are cool people and a quick email sorted it out. Order edited (and a little refund for the difference issued.)

Looking forward to it even though I've not done any soldering before. Like to learn new things and all that.

#569 5 years ago

Soldering is not hard, practice a bit. It's a great skill to have for pinball. I was in the same boat as you about a year ago, now I look forward to doing it.

#570 5 years ago

Switch came in the mail today.

I guess I'm officially not afraid of tearing this thing apart anymore.
explosion.jpg

Switch swapped out, and put in the couch weld fix while I was at it. (Hence the playfield explosion.)
Found that a prior owner had hacked a couch weld fix via the awesome "Wood screw right into the playfield" technique, but at least the damage is hidden, and now under the weld fix plate as well.

#571 5 years ago
Quoted from Beatnik-Filmstar:

Switch came in the mail today.
I guess I'm officially not afraid of tearing this thing apart anymore.

Switch swapped out, and put in the couch weld fix while I was at it. (Hence the playfield explosion.)
Found that a prior owner had hacked a couch weld fix via the awesome "Wood screw right into the playfield" technique, but at least the damage is hidden, and now under the weld fix plate as well.

explosion.jpg 105 KB

I call us collectors fixing crazy things like the screw into the playfield "Unrouting a pin".

#572 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

After my initial post I was contacted by Sparky and wound up buying the TV mod for the game. Pretty easy to install, needed to bend the bracket on the spotlight and now the spotlight is directed a little further back then originally.

The mod is very nice and I am taken back by how clear the picture is. The TV itself blends right in with the game!

#573 5 years ago

Looking to buy TSPP in Detroit area. Any help appreciated
HUO unit without cosmetic or function issues
Thx
Mark
Markb@rad.hfh.edu

#574 5 years ago

YAY colordmd nuf said

#575 5 years ago
Quoted from peaceboy666:

YAY colordmd nuf said

Great upgrade but dang the price is just.... painful.

#576 5 years ago
Quoted from Elfman:

Great upgrade but dang the price is just.... painful.

Try being canadian, it's going to cost me around 600$ after shipping,customs,exchange rate. I wish i lived in the US to get the good prices . I used to buy everything online from the US, but i been slowing down a lot lately. Dollar is crashing and making expensive things even more expensive.

This is a must buy IMO though

#577 5 years ago

Has anyone upgraded their speakers ? What did you do and did it make a big difference ?

#578 5 years ago

Joined the club last night! Excited! going over the pin today and it appears to be HOU with just one previous owner. Gonna read this whole thread for sure. But just wanted to say hello!

#579 5 years ago
Quoted from ataritoday:

Has anyone upgraded their speakers ? What did you do and did it make a big difference ?

I upgraded to flipper fidelity's full kit a few years ago. It's slightly better, but you are not going to get the best sound with a whitestar system.

#580 5 years ago

Thanks dug, and welcome rickwh, It's an awesome game. There are some nice mods. If sillyoldelf is still making decals be sure to get a set, they are awesome. Throw some LEDs in the cooling towers.

#581 5 years ago

I think i really really lucked out on this TSPP pin!!!!!

Bought it at auction on the low end of what ive read they would go for. Didnt get a chance to play it before, but watched as other non-pin peeps played right before the auction. No cabinet dings, playfield was a bit dirty, but nothing bad. Auction peeps didnt have the keys... So i decided to bid just basically going by the fact that all 5 flippers worked and were snappy... And garage door went up and down when supposed to...

Drilled out the lock today. Backbox keys and a few bucks in quarters in coin box. Balls stayed in trough through the transport.... Unopened goodie bag and manual in the cabinet. Some random stickers and a TSPP keychain plastic. Inside cabinet had some dust but was clean. Only one light bulb out (left sling GI). The original owners bill of sale for 4000 in 7/2004 was also in cabinet as well as the unpacking and setup instructions from the original box.

Cabinet artwork doesn't seem faded, but its hard to tell, i think the background characters are supposed to be kinda "grey" or out of focus. Forground simpsons family memebers look unfaded...

The biggest issue i had so far is that i couldnt get the backglass off. The foam padding had fused to the back of the back glass and it was stuck. Ended up prying it a little at a time up with a putty knife starting at one end of the speaker panel. Took a bit of patience.

I think it has the original batteries in it. They are off brand and are zip tied into the holder in the original factory location. I need to change them soon. But there is no sign of any corrision. Is it unheard of for these to be 11 yr old batteries? And still working?

Ill post some pics in a bit

#582 5 years ago

Im in now

IMG_2030.JPG
#583 5 years ago
Quoted from J_Striker:

Im in now

IMG_2030.JPG 226 KB

Oooo. Nice flipper button armor!

#584 5 years ago

this one came with a few mods already.... always a plus in my book

#585 5 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Glad to find your post...that switch is giving me fits too....I want to buy a new one w/ actuator, but can't find it on Marco or pinball life's site....help?......thanks....mark

#586 5 years ago

Scratch that...just found it:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=197

Some reason I always have a problem navigating their site, but they always have what I need...

#587 5 years ago
Quoted from ataritoday:

I didn't do anything to or with my original speakers in the pin, but I did add a big-ass sub-woofer to it and it sure made a difference. No more 'tinny' sound. Nice, deep bass rumbling with no distortion. I don't like to play the pin without it. For about $100 you can add a sub and place it under your pin on the floor. Caution: I have tried both the regular sub where the speaker points out and the one that aims to the floor. I got best results from the one that aims outward. The floor one just didn't add much to it. The sub has to be self-powered. It is easy to wire. Just run speaker wires to the negative and positive on the speaker in the bottom of the cabinet. Be sure to match + and - !!!

Mike in Kentucky

#588 5 years ago

ok.........I'm in!!! Color DMD is next for this game!

20150112_084447.jpg
#589 5 years ago

Heres some pics of my auction find from this weekend. Im happy to be in the TSPP club.

After drilling the lock out, I was pleasantly surprised at how clean and well kept this pin was. I spent some time going over the playfield with some N1 and shined her right up!

Got some parts list orders out to PBL, cliffy, and pinbits. (new rubbers, new coin door lock, etc)

And I ordered v5 roms from ebay
ebay.com link

The only issues I have found so far are
-the corner of the treehouse ramp has a 1/4 inch hairline crack in it (Cliffy should cover it)
-the black side rail between the outlane and the shooter lane has some of the lamination/paint peeling up at the end.
-the trough eject into the shooter lane has some wear.

I'm pretty stoked!

20150123_210508.jpg
20150123_214627.jpg
20150123_214641.jpg
20150123_214711.jpg
20150123_222329.jpg
20150123_222342.jpg
20150123_222355.jpg
20150123_222418.jpg
20150123_222429.jpg
20150124_115048.jpg
20150124_115855.jpg
20150124_115932.jpg

#590 5 years ago

Welcome to the club! That number of plays isn't accurate because your chip shows v4, which means it's been upgraded from the original version. When you change roms, everything gets erased. You have 1568 on v4.

#591 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Welcome to the club! That number of plays isn't accurate because your chip shows v4, which means it's been upgraded from the original version. When you change roms, everything gets erased. You have 1568 on v4.

Thanks for clarifying that. I know that happens on sam stern games, but didnt know about whitestar/chip upgrades. Good to know.

The date on the chip is about a year before this pin rolled off the line in july 2004 so i didnt know if stern would have been using v4 at that point? Also thought it was weird to have the zip tie on the batteries. Figured that was factory since i figure a home owner wouldnt put that back... Ihave so many unanswered questions since i dont know the history. Previous owner passed and thats why the family was having the auction.

#592 5 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Thanks for clarifying that. I know that happens on sam stern games, but didnt know about whitestar/chip upgrades. Good to know.
The date on the chip is about a year before this pin rolled off the line in july 2004 so i didnt know if stern would have been using v4 at that point? Also thought it was weird to have the zip tie on the batteries. Figured that was factory since i figure a home owner wouldnt put that back... Ihave so many unanswered questions since i dont know the history. Previous owner passed and thats why the family was having the auction.

Your batteries are indeed factory and they have never been changed since manufacturing.
Better swap them out before they start leaking!

It's quite possible the rom is original too. But I think it's possible to reset the audits via the operator menu so number of plays listed doesn't mean too much. Looking at the damage on the ball launch lane I would expect much more than 1500 plays personally

#593 5 years ago

Heres a better pic of the shooter lane with the glass off.
20150126_070156.jpg

#594 5 years ago

The kwikemart plastic with a shake and a hotdog on mine has a plastic clip on it like it would hold a wire. I dont see that on other pics of this machine. Anyone else see this before?

20150126_070249.jpg

#595 5 years ago
Quoted from pindan3:

ok.........I'm in!!! Color DMD is next for this game!

I didn't know they had a color DMD for TSPP.

#596 5 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

The kwikemart plastic with a shake and a hotdog on mine has a plastic clip on it like it would hold a wire. I dont see that on other pics of this machine. Anyone else see this before?

I have the same thing on mine.

Maybe it's there to keep the ball from getting lodged in that area.

Does anyone know where I can get the spot target face like the one in the Rickwh's post but in RED?

I'm wanting to put it in my Kings of Steel.

#597 5 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

20150126_070249.jpg 160 KB

Mine has the same clip. No idea what it is for. Bought mine nib in 2003.

#598 5 years ago

Mine has the same clip - strange. I'm jealous yours came with a manual. I purchased a goodie bag and still need to order a manual. TSPP ColorDMD will be here soon!

#599 5 years ago

Re: Factory Batteries - Change them for sure, but I would also re-locate them so they are off the board.

#600 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Those are the original batteries and I am willing to bet that the number of plays is accurate. They didn't keep shipping out all TSPP with the same code. they made the game for many years, and as new code came out, they shipped the game with that code.

That is actually a very clean/low use TSPP. Nice find...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
There are 5213 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 105.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside