Tspp or Twd Pro?

By VividPsychosis

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

The subject basically says it all. I have enough money for either of these 2 machines and I am kind of stuck on which one would be the better option for immediate fun, length of enjoyment, resell value, and general gameplay on both. I would love to hear from you guys about the pros and cons of each and vs one another, etc.

Anything that can help me decide between the 2 when I can only afford 1.

Thanks

#2 7 years ago

You can still get a brand new TWD Pro in a box. Not really possible for TSPP, which would all be over a decade or so old.

Both are great games with great code, if all else is equal in your eyes go with the newer game. If you love one theme over the other go with the theme.

TWD has better flow than TSPP which is more stop and go.

#3 7 years ago

I would say tspp against a TWD pro. If it were TWD premium, then I think it's a tie and I would choose whoever theme you like better.

#4 7 years ago

I've had both. Still have my TSPP, which was minty when I got it with only about 1200 plays. It ain't leaving, but it's the sort of game that my brain is wired for.
IF you want to get lost in the journey of the game and stop at various points around Springfield, and always feel like you are just scratching the surface, then it's TSPP. It is so enormously deep and complicated that in most cases you will spend a whole game trying to just get one part of it completed. Maybe get to AI, maybe complete secret stash, maybe get all the treehouse awards. There are literally dozens of ways to approach this game when you step up to start it. Sometimes I stand there with the first ball ready to plunge, too overwhelmed with the thought of the choices before me to even start.
But I love this and this is THE best machine for this type of play.

TWD is tight, like SM. Just beautifully executed code with a great build up to the bigger modes. Games will be shorter and will feel like a fight, like IM. TWD will obviously be newer and snappier, but you appear to have some older games in your collection so this probably won't be an issue for you.

Themes are obviously totally different and this is where your choice may actually be made. TWD really does freak little kids out.

Both are no doubt top shelf games and you really are going to enjoy both. But if I had to choose, and I have, it is TSPP.

#5 7 years ago

This stuff is imensively helpful and educating me. I do have tfrc, metallica, hottip SS and rfm at the moment. So the gore and stuff is not an issue. We did sell GB pro. Because I was too quick and difficulty for the wife with the Trudeau gap. I got rid of WOZ cause it was just Too slow. So I am a bit afraid of the those 2 things happening with this game. I know tspp is deep and I do like it, and I absolutely love the theme. In terms of twd I know it can be a brutal game but I also love horror and zombies and shit. Just kinda stuck. What do you guys view as the resale value on the 2 games? Nib pro that's been used about a year or a really nice tspp. Are they both gonna be easily sold or traded at a future date? ( I don't keep games that long unless we truly love em (tftc and met). Csn I trade a Tspp for twd pro? Can I trade a twd pro for TSPP?

#6 7 years ago

If GB pro was to hard for your wife then TWD is going to kill her also. IM may be better because it is a tough game, but wife's like it because it is IM and they like hitting the guy the comes up out of the play field. Unlike GB IM is fun. Casual players do surprisingly good on mine. They see me not killing IM when I play it and it makes them feel better. If a wife or casual player has a quick game on IM - they hit start again. Other games after a tough game - they walk away. Rules are simple and achievable with a fight unlike GB.

If WOZ was to slow for you then TSPP may wear on you because it is very stop and go. For a fast game with great shots and good flow maybe look at SM. The rules are not deep deep like WOZ or TSPP, but deep enough with fun modes along the way. Maybe ST with deep code and many strategies to play yet not stop and go at all.

All these games are pretty solid resales down the road. TSPP and TWD are also.

Sorry to switch gears, but your WOZ and GB did not last comments made me think TSPP and TWD may not be the right choices.

#7 7 years ago

Yeah, I hear ya. But I think a big difference for me atleast and my wife is the themes. WOZ and GB vs Simpson and twd in this household are world's apart. But I did kinda understand they are similar in nature to each other in gaming styles. Thank you for your input about it all and the resale values. Much appreciated!!!

#8 7 years ago

I think TSPP may be one of the best long term choices for a home ownership game.

#9 7 years ago

Given the choice at an arcade, I'd drop more coins in a tspp. The theme is more appealing to me. Better game play in my opinion.

#10 7 years ago

This is a tough one, because while they are both incredibly deep games with great themes, they couldn't be more different when it comes to how they play. I owned both at one time. I love TSPP, but it's gone (though I'd happily own one again for the right price). TWD isn't going anywhere, and even with a GB Premium in the house, I think I still play my TWD Pro more than any other machine. It's just a badass game.

If you have a family and want a fun, deep game that the kids will also be able to enjoy: go with TSPP. If you're looking for an adrenaline rush, get TWD, turn off the lights, load up Cleland's R-rated Pinball Browser sound hack, crank the volume, and get immersed in the zombie apocalypse.

No matter which one you go with, you win.

#11 7 years ago

Both are great, but TWD can definitely be a toughie with some cheap drains if not set up properly. You should take a trip to CotU to get some more time on it

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

I think TSPP may be one of the best long term choices for a home ownership game.

In an arcade, I'd put all my coins in a TWD Pro.

I'd rather own a TSPP though.

#13 7 years ago

Jeff, I was gonna look into, seeing if I could purchase the cotu one for the been routed game price. Lol

#14 7 years ago

What, no poll? Hmph.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I've had both. Still have my TSPP, which was minty when I got it with only about 1200 plays. It ain't leaving, but it's the sort of game that my brain is wired for.
IF you want to get lost in the journey of the game and stop at various points around Springfield, and always feel like you are just scratching the surface, then it's TSPP. It is so enormously deep and complicated that in most cases you will spend a whole game trying to just get one part of it completed. Maybe get to AI, maybe complete secret stash, maybe get all the treehouse awards. There are literally dozens of ways to approach this game when you step up to start it. Sometimes I stand there with the first ball ready to plunge, too overwhelmed with the thought of the choices before me to even start.
But I love this and this is THE best machine for this type of play.
TWD is tight, like SM. Just beautifully executed code with a great build up to the bigger modes. Games will be shorter and will feel like a fight, like IM. TWD will obviously be newer and snappier, but you appear to have some older games in your collection so this probably won't be an issue for you.
Themes are obviously totally different and this is where your choice may actually be made. TWD really does freak little kids out.
Both are no doubt top shelf games and you really are going to enjoy both. But if I had to choose, and I have, it is TSPP.

What he said! TSPP gets my vote. It's as "zero compromise" as you can get in a Stern. Everything about it is great.

#16 7 years ago

TWP is awesome - great game - still most played game in my collection.
Also tons of cool mods available.

#17 7 years ago

TSPP, get the most minty one you can, and even then you are only at the price of a NIB pro, but TSPP is loaded with features

#18 7 years ago

They are both great, gotta go with your gut on this one

#19 7 years ago

Tspp all the way...

#20 7 years ago

Had tspp but it didnt last long in my collection, grating sounds and for some reason after a while it just stopped being fun to play.

Twd on the other hand is very adictive challanging and fun, definately go with twd pro on this one.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Had tspp but it didnt last long in my collection, grating sounds and for some reason after a while it just stopped being fun to play.
Twd on the other hand is very adictive challanging and fun, definately go with twd pro on this one.

Had tspp too. Totally agree that the sounds, particularly the end of ball sounds totally killed this game for me. Also its too deep. You can have a million things going at once and it's too chaotic and confusing.

Twd is the best pinball machine ever coded but it needed new sounds. It's got them now.

Don't get me wrong though they're both great games.

#22 7 years ago

Tspp by a country mile . Totally disagree with last two comments . Tspp is one of my favourite games and the last one I would sell . Sounds are great and always hear something new . Twd has cheap drains galore especially out of pops .

#23 7 years ago

Tspp is just not fun to me . I have 4 local pin friends that have collections over 30 pins and all got rid of Tspp very quickly. I think part of it for me is I stopped watching the show about 15 years ago and really don't want to hear the voices. The shots are ok and I think it is a better fit for the casual pinball family. TWD is more difficult and has much shorter ball times but when you put a great game together it is a rush. TWD is a top 3 stern for me with Met and LOTR .

#24 7 years ago

TWD

After you have a monster game on TSPP you wont touch it for a month

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Esoteric_rt:

TWD
After you have a monster game on TSPP you wont touch it for a month

I once played a 45 minute game on simpsons and I hope I never have to play that game ever again .A half hour in I was so bored I wanted to just walk away but knew I was having a good game so I kept going .
The Walking Dead would be my choice , game play and ball times are much faster and when you have a good game on the Walking dead it is so much more rewarding .

#26 7 years ago

Hmmm... tough call. I've owned a TSPP, and had free play access to a TWD pro. I traded my TSPP for a STTNG, and now regret that deal. I personally like the call outs and deep ruleset of TSPP better than TWD, but TWD is a better playfield layout IMO. I personally would go with TSPP.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

6,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 26.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 45.00
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 16.00
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-or-twd-pro?hl=vividpsychosis and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.