tron-homer-marge-exit.jpg
tron_guy1-300x291.jpg
US Magazine Tron 02.jpg
gta_v_kifflom_header.jpg
DSC09691.JPG
tron.jpg
25300.jpg
Compare.jpg
There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Sorry if this one has been posted before. If both games were HUO and priced to market, which one would you rather have at home in your game room? It looks like Tron would be more cash, so is it worth the extra dough? Please vote and share your opinion here.

#2 10 years ago

They are at opposite ends of the spectrum for me. I enjoy both for way different reasons.

#3 10 years ago

I have both and would select Tron. I just installed Eli's ramp mod and it is a great addition.

#4 10 years ago

very different games. TSPP has a lot more modes to play than tron. tron is much faster with more flow.
I chose tron, but not because TSPP isn't good.

#5 10 years ago

No strong preference in terms of theme. I don't have an appreciation for the deep rules of TSPP as I will never probably see them. If you are an excellent player, you may appreciate the deep rules. TSPP has a lot on the playfield but I prefer a more open playfield with speed and flow of Tron rather than the more stop/go of TSPP with the upper playfield. I personally don't seem to find much of an appreciation of upper/lower playfields on games. Usually, the space/shots are in such a small/tight area that I just don't find them to be much fun. These are a couple personal thoughts that may not have any relevance for you.

#6 10 years ago

Tron - Everyday of the week and twice on Sunday!

#7 10 years ago

Had both, Tron is still here. With that said, I owned TSPP for nine years so it does have staying power. Both are great games.

#8 10 years ago

Tron...Tron...Tronnnnnn

#9 10 years ago

Tron.

Next.

#10 10 years ago

Hey,

I'll float this out there. I don't have Tron, but do have TSPP, so I can do a half-informed opinion on this. I looked at your collection, and see you have Metallica, Star Trek, and The Shadow. Those play pretty fast. If you like that and want more of that, get Tron. If you want to round out the collection a bit, I'd go with TSPP, which is more in the stop-and-go spectrum. Just my two cents.

Luke

#11 10 years ago

I have both and I would choose TRON

#12 10 years ago

I also have both and would choose Tron without question.

#13 10 years ago

Which one would I have? Tron, of course (which is why I have Tron!). But which one would YOU like to have. They are both great games. There is no wrong answer.

#14 10 years ago

The Shadow is going on the chopping block so I am looking for something that changes it up a bit from Metallica and Star Trek. I've considered RBION but I think we will like TSPP better. Others have mentioned LOTR, but again I think we will like TSPP better. Other games I like allot are Avatar and Eight Ball Deluxe. Very different games yes, but games I tend to play when I find them. Keep the feedback coming if you have it.

#15 10 years ago

I already have TSPP and loooooove mine!!! But in terms if buying, then Tron would be my pick.

#16 10 years ago

I think TSPP is a must have

When I see people selling theirs on Pinside I put them on my ignore list since they are obvious idiots

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from MnHotRod:

The Shadow is going on the chopping block so I am looking for something that changes it up a bit from Metallica and Star Trek. I've considered RBION but I think we will like TSPP better. Others have mentioned LOTR, but again I think we will like TSPP better. Other games I like allot are Avatar and Eight Ball Deluxe. Very different games yes, but games I tend to play when I find them. Keep the feedback coming if you have it.

I have tron, tspp and rbion. I enjoy all of them, but if only one could stay, the winner would be tron

#18 10 years ago

Wow, the single deepest (by a long shot) machine, and a player’s delight, over a FH clone with a handful of things to do, probably one of the least deepest since MB... Can Don McLean quickly whip up a pinball version of “American Pie” for this occasion?

There is literally more to do in the lower left rear leg bolt on TSPP than in all of FH2. Tron looks and sounds great, but I don’t think there is another machine out there where the repetition of the same handful of things seems so over and over and over grinds on me, other than cftbl...

#19 10 years ago

TRON no contest.

#20 10 years ago

why is Tron so damn good?

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

why is Tron so damn good?

Because it plays even better than it looks (especially with fiber optic ramps). Tron all the way

#22 10 years ago

Tron...

Quoted from Toasterdog:Because it plays even better than it looks (especially with fiber optic ramps). Tron all the way
» YouTube video

Yep, what he said!

#23 10 years ago

easily would choose Tron...however I had a TSPP for a good 6+ years and enjoyed it very much.

#24 10 years ago

Having played both and ended up buying TSPP, for me it is the perfect HUO game. Great play, funny and well done theme and very deep. Keep you busy for years. Has some great wizard modes and multiballs too - maybe some of the very best even. Stern really went all out on TSPP because they got the Simpsons team working with them and got nearly all the original voice actors on board too.

#25 10 years ago

As a number of others have said, I've owned/own both and Tron gets my vote. TSPP is great but but I can only play those marathon games so often.

#26 10 years ago

And a thumbs up for the dog. I dont see tspp as a deep game just a long, very long game with non sensical incomprehensible rules. Shoot an orbit 29 times, what is that!

#27 10 years ago

I own niether but have played both. I like TRON its faster and the mods are sweeeeet!!!

#28 10 years ago

If you have a preference for fast flowing games then I would say without a question go for Tron but if you want to add some variety to your line up with a "stop and go" type game then TSPP would be a good choice.

I've owned TSPP twice, the first time around I was only 2 months into the hobby and gravitated more towards game where you were rewarded easily with satisfying shots. TSPP felt like a chore and didn't have the same flow as my DM or WCS94 at the time. I ended up doing a 2 for 1 trade for it and that is how I got my JM and I500 which I enjoyed playing a lot more. Fast forward almost 2 years later, I now have a difference perspective on playing and appreciate objectives and mode progression more so I thought I would give TSPP another try as I didn't really give it a fair shake last time. I did enjoy it more and got to see a lot more of the game but in the end it still felt like a chore to play and I only wanted to play it say once or twice a month.

Now Tron on the other hand I could play a few times a week and it doesn't feel like a chore at all if anything it always leaves me with that "one more game" type feeling. From the moment I hit the Start button, the music sucks me in and I have never even seen the original Tron before and only recently watched Tron Legacy. Now all the call outs and modes make sense to me and I've had Eli's developer's kit in the game since March/April and that really added to the game play experience too.

#29 10 years ago

I prefer Tron, I think it is a special machine that just has it all together, especially with the new code that adds an earned extra ball.

BUT I have a TSPP for trade or sale in the Forum so if you decide to go that way check it out!

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

over a FH clone with a handful of things to do

This opinion still strikes me as funny. A lot of people have expressed it over the past couple of years, and yet I still get a laugh. FH clone, right. And a Lamborghini is a clone of a model T because they both have 4 wheels. I'm totally fine with anyone not liking Tron, but a Fun House clone, it is not.

#31 10 years ago

Completely different games, really comes down to what kind of play style you prefer.

Tron.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

This opinion still strikes me as funny. A lot of people have expressed it over the past couple of years, and yet I still get a laugh. FH clone, right. And a Lamborghini is a clone of a model T because they both have 4 wheels. I'm totally fine with anyone not liking Tron, but a Fun House clone, it is not.

And the boy doesnt like creature. Send in the pinball psychiatrist. Being a massive twilight zone and road show fan I was overly eager about tspp. No rule set has left me more disappointed and underwhelmed since the bible, at least the bible had an ending.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from FatAussieBogan:

I dont see tspp as a deep game just a long, very long game with non sensical incomprehensible rules. Shoot an orbit 29 times, what is that!

You truly have no comprehension of this machine. I suggest you read the following:

http://www.ipdb.org/rulesheets/4674/tspp-rulesheet.txt

Quoted from DaveH:

I've rehashed this topic so many times, I'm not going through it again. A simple google search of the two will get you multiple photos online showing the exact comparisons.

#34 10 years ago

Funhouse and Tron are 2 of my fave games. I don't see the problem. Layout is the same, but gameplay is not. I love them both.

I had a TSPP, and I am an above average player. I did like the ruleset, but for some reason it just got boring for me. Tron is fun everytime. TSPP became a chore, and I don't miss it at all...

#35 10 years ago

Sorry but I disagree, I have FH and Tron...Tron is nothing like FH, and I mean Nothing! Now if you said similar layout then OK but the machines play completely different from each other. One last note: I had TSSP and it bored me, same shots to Otto and the RH ramp over and over again, no flow at all, yes it has deep rules, but what good is it if I don't have fun playing it.

#36 10 years ago

Tron in a landslide.

Quoted from mwong168:

If you have a preference for fast flowing games then I would say without a question go for Tron but if you want to add some variety to your line up with a "stop and go" type game then TSPP would be a good choice.
I've owned TSPP twice, the first time around I was only 2 months into the hobby and gravitated more towards game where you were rewarded easily with satisfying shots. TSPP felt like a chore and didn't have the same flow as my DM or WCS94 at the time. I ended up doing a 2 for 1 trade for it and that is how I got my JM and I500 which I enjoyed playing a lot more. Fast forward almost 2 years later, I now have a difference perspective on playing and appreciate objectives and mode progression more so I thought I would give TSPP another try as I didn't really give it a fair shake last time. I did enjoy it more and got to see a lot more of the game but in the end it still felt like a chore to play and I only wanted to play it say once or twice a month.
Now Tron on the other hand I could play a few times a week and it doesn't feel like a chore at all if anything it always leaves me with that "one more game" type feeling. From the moment I hit the Start button, the music sucks me in and I have never even seen the original Tron before and only recently watched Tron Legacy. Now all the call outs and modes make sense to me and I've had Eli's developer's kit in the game since March/April and that really added to the game play experience too.

#37 10 years ago

Tomdotcom you beat me by 5 seconds....

#38 10 years ago

No one is slaughtering your first born, relax fella. It's a long long long long a long a long a time come on game bro. You are mistaking nuance and depth for unnecessary complication and just plain being annoying. acdc suffers from the same rule set ambiguity but it more Thames makes up in game play, sound and a general un quantifiable sense of being rad.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I've rehashed this topic so many times, I'm not going through it again. A simple google search of the two will get you multiple photos online showing the exact comparisons.

I've seen them multiple times. It even slowed down my order for Tron a bit, but as Tom said right above, the gameplay is completely different. I dislike Funhouse. But the cool part is, I don't need to change your mind. You don't like Tron because you think it is an FH clone. I love Tron because I find it a blast to play. There we go.

#41 10 years ago

in a collection of < 5 TSPP, in a collection of 5+ tie

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

in a collection of < 5 TSPP, in a collection of 5+ tie

Switch the <><><><> and I'm there. As a lot of folks have stated the tspp she is a chore. Not five plus, ten plus. I'd
Ike to hear an ops perspective on tspp, would have possibly the longest gap times in shortest to longest ball times ever. Ever.

#43 10 years ago

Tron

#44 10 years ago

Tron is a lot closer to Congo than it is to Funhouse.

#45 10 years ago

I hope to own them both someday. Similar layout or not

Compare.jpgCompare.jpg

#46 10 years ago

I would vote tron, which you already know. If you decide you want to trade shadow for revenge let me know.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Tron is a lot closer to Congo than it is to Funhouse.

This was actually my concern before I got my Tron as Congo is one of my favorite games and had it the longest of all my games too. I can say that even though Tron and Congo have similar layouts or shots they are nothing a like and can co-exist without feeling redundant. Here is the closest thing a Tron comes to being a FH clone

25300.jpg25300.jpg

#48 10 years ago

If you put the $2000 of required mods on TRON pro, it's still not as good as a stock TSPP.

TSPP blows TRON away all day long.

Unless your nostalgic for the TRON video game, get the TSPP.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

If you put the $2000 of required mods on Tron, it's still not as good as a stock TSPP.
TSPP blows TRON away all day long.
Unless your nostalgic for the TRON video game, get the TSPP.

The poll says otherwise

I do like TSPP because of it's depth, but at the end of the day for me and for alot of other people it seems, Tron is just more fun to play. The sound, layout, rules (sparse as they may be), art, all come together for a great total package

#50 10 years ago

A landslide so far, TRON FTW!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 16.00
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
$ 218.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-or-tron-which-one-would-you-get and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.