Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by kwiKimart
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Wanted to see what everyone thinks. The two machines I have, I kind of fell into, and happen to love. Just got started on this hobby in Nov. and I'm looking to buy number 3 so this time I want to get something I want and these two I am interested in. So I'm going to play these at the Texas Pinball Festival and see what I think, but I have played both Virtual Pins. Let me know what you prefer and why. Thanks.

#2 5 years ago

Both great games, and different, you have to decide which style you like. That said, I've recently become a proponent of really mixing up collection, not staying so homogenous with years and manufacturers. I'd get the TSPP and round out, instead of getting something that's so similar in time period.

#3 5 years ago

What a conundrum, both very deep, the TSPP maybe deeper. I say get both, Ha, Ha! They are two pins I would love to have in my collection, just too expensive .

#4 5 years ago

I have both. For me, TSPP is the keeper, but I think most would disagree and pick STTNG. In this case, I'd buy the first one I found, let fate decide.

#5 5 years ago

Haha, I've found both, but the STTNG was a little higher in price. The TSPP is around $3300 after being shopped (in the process right now).

#6 5 years ago

Thats a good price on a shopped TSPP! I would go the TSPP, but both are great pins!

#7 5 years ago

That's a pretty solid price if shopped really means shipped.

If it's OP shopped it's running a rag and changing out the coil selves for the flippers.

$3,300 unshopped can be a pain being a 5 flipper game but TSPP is cake to shop, the mini comes out real easy

#8 5 years ago

Well, this is a company pretty close that shops pins. I heard about them from a fellow pinsider. So hopefully shopped means shopped.

#9 5 years ago

Man...I would pick STTNG in a landslide! Not even close for me. More flow, better layout, better modes, amazing theme integration.......all my opinion of course.

#10 5 years ago

How about this, get the TSPP and I will trade you my STTNG even Steven when you're done with it.

#11 5 years ago

I have both of these games as well, and have owned them for many years. When things are rocking, both games are incredibly fun, and I have no desire to get rid of either.

Periodically, I can get tired of playing them. But after periodic breaks, I will come back, and enjoy them both as if they were new.

But between the two, I would take TSPP because it offers more strategy with the different stacking challenges.

#12 5 years ago

Also have both. Obviously I enjoy ST:TNG more. In my opinion ST:TNG provides richer gameplay. As well I feel the quests are layered better, more story driven rather than all the quests running at the same time like TSPP.

#13 5 years ago

Owned both, still have TSPP. STTNG is a great game however and will probably pick up another sometime in the future.

#14 5 years ago

TSPP for me , easily

#15 5 years ago

STTNG all day and Sunday. GL

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

STTNG all day and Sunday. GL

Agreed. Not even close IMO.

#17 5 years ago

Me, i lean to TSPP, but this is a close one. Without a clear winner, what IS clear... Is that you'll love either one!! So, look at condition etc and just pick! You'll be glad you did.

#18 5 years ago

I own both games. If I had to sell one, it would be STTNG first. TSPP would probably be one of the last games I'd ever sell.

STTNG is a wonderful theme and very immersive and fun to play. I prefer STTNG theme-wise - I'm not even really much of a Simpsons fan. But when it comes to gameplay, there is no comparison: TSPP is one of the best pinball machines ever made.

STTNG is a hard game - it makes you be a better player, but there's not much strategy to it. The modes don't stack. It's pretty straightforward in terms of what to do. I have some issues with STTNG's design. I dislike that the video mode is not random so it's possible to memorize the moves and play perfectly every time -- I consider that a poor software design. I also think the inability to stack modes also to be a design deficiency in STTNG. Even Steve Ritchie admitted that the playfield needed a few design tweaks: the outlanes are notorious drain-monsters.

On the other hand, TSPP is the pinnacle of software/ruleset/playfield/game design. Every square inch of the game is packed with features. I've owned my TSPP for many years and I still have not beaten all the end-game modes. There are so many things you can do in TSPP that every time you play it, you can be doing something different. It's a hard game to wear out on.

Some people are more into themes. Some people are more into raw gameplay and great design and long-term playability. While Simpsons is a great theme, what makes the game shine is its unparalleled brilliance in software and ruleset design.

I pre-ordered WOZ mainly on the fact that the principal design people behind TSPP were on that project, and to that end, WOZ has proven to be every bit as exciting and deep a game as TSPP is. Keith Johnson really has no equal when it comes to pinball software design. TSPP's scoring is extremely well-balanced meaning you can play the game a dozen different ways and still have comparable scores. That is something you can't do with most pinball machines, STTNG included.

#19 5 years ago

Very different games- TSPP is way deeper and less linear, while STTNG has more flow (if that's your thing). Both solid games.

#20 5 years ago

I ALSO have both and you can't go wrong with either, but TSPP is my pick.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside