• 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Rarehero
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

zoidberg (resized).jpg
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

So if you were in a position to pick up one of these two titles, but not both, what would push you in one direction over another? For simplicity, let's assume there are NO playfield issues on GB, ok?

Let's also assume that your only other pin, a ST Pro, will not be going anywhere.

Appreciate all input.

#2 7 years ago

From a playability standpoint, I would go GB myself. Never really liked TSPP, had it for 6 months but just couldn't get into it. Enjoying my GB alot, that being said though I am still in the honeymoon phase.

From a common sense standpoint though, I would take the TSPP right now. GB will be made for the next couple of years, code still needs work, and more will come up on the market. The resalability on TSPP is high, so if you ever decide you don't like TSPP and want to switch to GB, it would be pretty simple to do.

#3 7 years ago

Agreed, GB will be around for a long time, would wait for the bugs to be ironed out.

#4 7 years ago

The problem with gb premium is the wait to actually get one. I just backed out on mine, paid in full for months and months

#5 7 years ago

GB

I owned TSPP for awhile and I couldn't get into it either. It is hard to put my finger on it but it rarely gave me that "just one more game" feeling.

GB on the other hand gives me the "@#$!!! Not like that! Ahhhh! On no, I'm not going to let you beat me so easily. Let's play again!" feeling.

#7 7 years ago

GB all the way if you could only get one, but I also like TSPP.

#8 7 years ago

GB premium

Where's the poll?

#9 7 years ago

Looking at about a $2,500 savings I assume? I own TSPP and have GB Premium on order (which I'm considering cancelling). I don't think I'll ever get rid of my TSPP. Agree with others on option to wait on GB.

#10 7 years ago

If you want something different than ST, TSPP all the way. It's one of Stern's "crown jewels". Great build, great design, great features, excellent code. It's more of a "quest" style game, and games can be long when you get in a groove...while that's a complaint for some, the content of TSPP is so excellent, you're constantly doing new stuff and uncovering new secrets during those long games, so IMO it's never boring! While the Whitestar audio quality isn't as good as what you're used to with newer games, the sound design is very good considering the hardware limits...100% custom callouts from the show's voiceover artists. Callouts are funny, energetic and informative.

I cannot recommend GB based on its design or code. However, if you want a game that looks & sounds great and plays fast and brutal, then perhaps that's for you.

#11 7 years ago

ST pro a fantastic start to a collection no matter what the code baby say

#12 7 years ago

I say TSPP but it is my grail pin

#13 7 years ago

I've already got the ST Pro...so the GB or TSPP is all about the second pin.

#14 7 years ago

I have owned tspp a long time and love it. I recently spent some time on a gble and thought it was a great game. Both are great themes, have a lot of shots and good rule set. I'd love to own a gb prem one day.

#15 7 years ago

How much do you love the Simpsons? How do you feel about stop and go games that are a bit clunky. How much do you like unbelievably complex, stack-tastic rulesets?

If that sounds appealing then go with TSPP. It offers an excellent cerebral yin to complement Ster Trek's visceral yang.

#16 7 years ago

I'd go with the software complete game (TSPP) until GB is fully programmed. Then sell TSPP to buy GB when its finally legit.

Why buy a shell of a game with frustrating bugs?

The "buy and hold" a NIB for the hope of decent code seems like a very lame strategy.

Make Stern earn it. Buy GB complete. You dont even know what you're buying today since the game is buggy, incomplete & messy. It's so bad people arent installing the updated software lol.

Do you want that in your life? At a $7K price? For 1-3 years or infinity if GB is left to die like many other Sterns...

Comic Book Guy would call an incomplete machine the "Worst Game Ever"

#17 7 years ago

Ghost busters is my pick...had a HUO TSPP for about 9 months and don't miss it at all.

#18 7 years ago

Sold my TSPP to buy a GB after playing the pro a ton. GB will cost you more to buy but is well worth it.

#19 7 years ago

GB all day

#20 7 years ago

Tspp. GB wasn't that great when I played it. Plus , I dont think want to give stern any of my $, the jackals.

#21 7 years ago

TSPP now, GB later.

#22 7 years ago

They shoot differently, but TSPP is not the frustrating, bug filled, questionable play field, cheap drain fest game that GB is.

Owned GBLE. Don't anymore. Still own TSPP.

You will never finish TSPP. You may one day finish GB, but for me, I had no desire to.

#23 7 years ago

My TSPP was here before GB arrived, and is still here after GB has gone.

#24 7 years ago

I'd go with GB Premium. But it's really a matter of personal preference. I like the Simpsons theme a lot. You already chose well with ST.

#25 7 years ago

TSPP for value and depth!

#26 7 years ago

Have not played GB yet, but TSPP never ceases to deliver.....an awesome game!!!

#27 7 years ago

If you want value for your money, TSPP.
If you want to spend money for new Stern games, GB.
It honestly would not surprise me when the market tide fully turns, Stern will do another run of TSPP.
It was a "savior" title for Stern for a reason.
See my reviews.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from jalkelly:

TSPP for value and depth!

Very true. Huge value. HUUUUUUGE

#29 7 years ago

I love TSPP and the thirty minute games you can play are truly epic. That being said I sold it for GB Premium and haven't looked back. GB has for me the "one more game" factor in spades that I wanted, opposed to the one game and done I had with TSPP. Both great games, obviously the code in TSPP is legendary. Hopefully the code in GB will improve in time. It's also tough trying to play Simpsons if you have guests over to play as ball times can be ridiculous.

#30 7 years ago

GB pre all the way

#31 7 years ago

I sold my HUO TSPP to fund my GB premium purchase. At first I was a little sad when TSPP left, but once GB arrived I never looked back.

#32 7 years ago

you are comparing a 13 yr old game to a nib that should tell you what will hold interest in the long term

#33 7 years ago

Absolute no brainer. Ghostbusters.

#34 7 years ago

I don't think you'd go wrong with either; they are both really great games. For what it's worth, I am consistently impressed with TSPP's depth.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

you are comparing a 13 yr old game to a nib that should tell you what will hold interest in the long term

Just because it's thirteen years old doesn't mean it isn't awesome. I've played it a little and liked it a lot...just like I played GB a little and liked it, but not as much as TSPP.

I didn't love ST when I made the decision to buy it but now think it's fantastic.

This is why I'm looking for input of owners of both, because opinions change when you get the game home and really get to know it well and not in a coin drop environment.

#36 7 years ago

You won't be disappointed with tspp. It's tried and true. GB just isn't yet, way to new for that. If you get GB and hate it, you'll have to go through the hassle of getting rid of it again. Tspp will stay with you forever probably.

#37 7 years ago

i would buy a TSPP in 2016

.... then once mid / to late 2017 hits revisit the GB premium (as long as code updates have been made/air balls fixed/ghosting be gone/chipped pf and damaged shooter lanes a thing of the past).

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Quoted from investingdad:

Just because it's thirteen years old doesn't mean it isn't awesome.

I think that's actually his point. The fact that a thirteen year old machine is in the conversation is showing you how good and lasting it is.

#39 7 years ago

I have a TSPP, which my wife said she wouldn't let me ever sell. I have a Ghostbusters Premium on order. I have played a bunch of games on all 3 GB models. If you find a TSPP in good shape at a good price, go that route. Both are great games, but Ghostbusters will be available readily for a while.

#41 7 years ago

I never realized a 13 year old game is classified as "old".
Especially after it had 10 production runs from 2003-2008.
The last run puts it at under 10 years.

I guess that is why people don't like EBD 36 years later?
Clearly this is a completely logical argument that a NIB game is always superior to a used title?
The famous "new is better" argument.

What is the GB franchise license and its age? 32 years (1984).
Simpsons? It is actually bit younger at 27 years (1989).

The biggest challenge I see is many have not had the opportunity to compare many great titles from the past.
Part of the reason GB has been successful (which I do not disagree it is a good game) it is exposure due to the $#@!storm Sony 2016 movie release.
Many just recognize the title.
You cannot tell me the number of people under the age of 20, even know what the original movie was in the first place, unless their parents introduced them to original feature film.
They were not born yet.
I would absolute bet a paycheck on The Simpsons.
It is the longest-running American sitcom and the longest-running American animated program in history.
Not to mention there have been multiple Simpsons games made via pinball, arcade, and redemption.

If a person has not properly played TSPP, go do it before you drop an extra $3-4K on a NIB GB.

Keep flipping.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

I never realized a 13 year old game is classified as "old".
Especially after it had 10 production runs from 2003-2008.
The last run puts it at under 10 years.
I guess that is why people don't like EBD 36 years later?
Clearly this is a completely logical argument that a NIB game is always superior to a used title?
The famous "new is better" argument.
What is the GB franchise license and its age? 32 years (1984).
Simpsons? It is actually bit younger at 27 years (1989).
The biggest challenge I see is many have not had the opportunity to compare many great titles from the past.
Part of the reason GB has been successful (which I do not disagree it is a good game) it is exposure due to the $#@!storm Sony 2016 movie release.
Many just recognize the title.
You cannot tell me the number of people under the age of 20, even know what the original movie was in the first place, unless their parents introduced them to original feature film.
They were not born yet.
I would absolute bet a paycheck on The Simpsons.
It is the longest-running American sitcom and the longest-running American animated program in history.
Not to mention there have been multiple Simpsons games made via pinball, arcade, and redemption.
If a person has not properly played TSPP, go do it before you drop an extra $3-4K on a NIB GB.
Keep flipping.

Well said.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Have not played GB yet, but TSPP never ceases to deliver.....an awesome game!!!

this is my EXACT response. I didn't want to chime in since I've yet to play GB. But to me Tspp is absolutely underrated. To me, it's up there with the top5 Stern pins ever (EVER).

GB (to me) just seems ok not having played it, but with Lyman on the code I'd far rather get BM66 than GB premium. But I'd surely wait until BM was out and playing and see which was better.

#44 7 years ago

Tspp has already proven itself to have some of the best coding and rules of any game. It's a true strategy game. I'd be willing to bet if someone hasn't put at least a few hundred games on it then they would have no idea what they were doing. Even if they understood the basics of starting modes there are so many variables as to what the best shot could be at any given time that they just wouldn't "get it". I tend to ignore reviews by people that have different style play to me or the "played it once on location and couldn't even finish all 3 balls" types. Clearly everyone has a different style of game they prefer. If you are into the longer "chess" style of game as I like to think of it then it is top of the class. When you buy a game like that, assuming you buy at a fair price and maintain it properly, then should a time come when you want to move it along you will have no problem selling it for a fair price. I say wait until GB has proven itself.

Edit: I should add this in case it means anything to you but guests tend to not like TSPP much from my experience. They like the games with immediate gratification and there's no way a drunken person playing it for their 5th time will get that. They tend to like the balrog bash on LOTR and those types.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

Just because it's thirteen years old doesn't mean it isn't awesome. I've played it a little and liked it a lot...just like I played GB a little and liked it, but not as much as TSPP.
I didn't love ST when I made the decision to buy it but now think it's fantastic.
This is why I'm looking for input of owners of both, because opinions change when you get the game home and really get to know it well and not in a coin drop environment.

My point was after 13 yr TSPP is still considered a great game GB is still in the honeymoon stage go TSPP

#46 7 years ago

Played g.b pro and found it to be good but still kinda sucks, didn't make me want to buy a premiumn like twd pro did for me.... reverse flippers tspp has, fun factor tspp has it, longevity tspp has done it, after all these yrs still a great machine, ghost busters movie 2016 sucks, I havnt played le or premiumn so maybe I can like it...definately dnt care for the pro do tspp it's better machine in comparison!!! Not trying to hate on gb, it is what it is,will c in 10 yrs or more if it ranks as high, good luck with it!

#47 7 years ago

I love GB so far...but I really really love TSPP. For the price TSPP goes for now vs GB premium, id say TSPP is the better deal.

TSPP is phenomenal, truly an all time great.

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

My point was after 13 yr TSPP is still considered a great game GB is still in the honeymoon stage go TSPP

Yeah, I totally misread the intent of your post. Sorry!

#49 7 years ago

TSPP is absolutely amazing. Everyone i know enjoys playing it. Ghostbusters has just too many issues right now for me to consider. TSPP also has one of the best resell values. It's always being sold and bought. I'm about to put a color dmd in mines as well. Totally recommend

#50 7 years ago

I have a perfect HUO TSPP ..... that said I am getting a GB Premium and would sell it if I had to do so to afford.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Springfield, MO
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.00
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 103.00
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-or-gb-premium?hl=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.