Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by cjchand
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

On TSPP, if you get the ball in the Itchy and Scratch hole, it will trigger the drop target mech to drop all of the targets so the VUK doesn’t launch the ball into the back of the drops.

Most of the time, this works fine. But sometimes the middle drop won’t go down. I’ve completely disassembled the mech and cleaned it. Found it to be fairly gummed up and presumed that was the issue. But, it’s still happening very intermittently.

Presume it could be the tiny magnet that drives the drop, but any other thoughts/experiences I should consider?

#2 3 years ago

This is the advice that ReplayRyan gave me about 7 years ago on this exact same issue:

"On the Itchy & Scratchy 3-bank target assembly there is 1 coil that raises all targets together, and 3 mini coils that drop the targets. However, the 3 mini coils are basically magnets, and even though there is a separate one for each target, they are all daisy chained together and supposed to activate and drop the targets in unison (although it will continue to fire if it senses not all targets dropped). On each mini coil, a magnet pulls one end of a metal tab down that is positioned like a see-saw, so that the other end moves upwards to put slight pressure on the target and causes it to drop. You can lift the playfield and watch the assembly in coil test (#30 should active all 3) to confirm. When this isn't happening, check the following:

- Make sure each drop target has an intact spring behind it (probably does if your drop targets drop normally from ball contact), is properly aligned and not chewed up near the mini coils.

- Check the Molex connectors with 2 larger brown wires, and 3 or 4 (I forget) smaller wires, near the assembly. Often times one of the wires will get pulled and not make adequate contact.

- Inspect the terminal lugs on each of the 3 mini coils. If a wire along the chain gets pulled, a mini coil earlier in the chain may work but not the later ones. When in doubt, use a DMM to check continuity between the wires at the Molex connector and each lug. Make sure each diode is intact and not shorting to the metal plate (it's cramped in there).

- If one of the mini coils is getting power but not firing like the others, check to make sure the metal tab/see-saw that it pulls on rocks manually. You can also clean the magnet tip with a Qtip. If you do all this and the mini coil still doesn't work, it probably needs to be replaced. It's only $10, but swapping it out is a bit of a pain."

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from cjchand:

On TSPP, if you get the ball in the Itchy and Scratch hole, it will trigger the drop target mech to drop all of the targets so the VUK doesn’t launch the ball into the back of the drops.
Most of the time, this works fine. But sometimes the middle drop won’t go down. I’ve completely disassembled the mech and cleaned it. Found it to be fairly gummed up and presumed that was the issue. But, it’s still happening very intermittently.
Presume it could be the tiny magnet that drives the drop, but any other thoughts/experiences I should consider?

It’s been a long time since I had this game, but I had the same issue. I cleaned the mech which helped, but I believe I ended up adjusting the bracket That the small coil triggers to drop that target. I think I eventually Replaced that small coil.

#4 3 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, folks. Will give these ideas a shot.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 218.00
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

6,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-one-drop-target-inconsistently-doesnt-drop?hl=cjchand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.