(Topic ID: 14107)

TSPP observations, what do you think it "borrows" from?

By Dewey68

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

As I get to know TSPP, I'm finding some features that remind me of other pins.

The layout reminds me of a reverse FH, or at least a Lawlor design. You've got a mirror image of FH with the bumpers and the side flipper. Instead of a trapdoor shot, the left ramp goes to the upper playfield. Homer's head reminds me of Rudy. Both pins have an outer loop that you have to shoot through the bumpers. Both pins have a frenzy mode.

The upper playfield reminds me a bit of SOF. Does anyone think that Grandpa Simpson's "Extra Ball" call is a poke at MM?

Just a few observations.

#2 12 years ago

I think you're right that it feels a bit like a Lawlor game. I always thought that it has a similar feel to TZ with some of the left side being blocked off.

#3 12 years ago

Good or bad?

I don't understand the thread.

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from BVM:

Good or bad?
I don't understand the thread.

Neither, just a discussion.

#5 12 years ago

TSPP is a game i'd love to play/own.

Ya got to love Bart!

#6 12 years ago

I too have been trying to "figure it out" and understand why it's as highly-regarded as it is. I also see some of the Lawlor-esque features. The Homer head is obviously borrowed from both FH and Party Zone. It also has a number of really cool things that I haven't seen elsewhere. The garage door is very clever. The way you can stack modes and reset the timer is really neat though -- it opens up a whole new dimension in playing. I really like the dedicated displays to show how much time is available and which modes are running. Ultimately I'm very impressed with the game and am having a lot of fun playing and learning it.

#7 12 years ago

You can simply read the rule sheet and never play the game to understand why it is regarded in the way it is.

BVM - are you the previously banned "pinballparadise"? I'm waiting for your answer.

#8 12 years ago

The layout is very similar to "South Park" and also "WOZ" which makes sense since they were all designed by Joe Balcer. He definitely borrowed some elements from Pat Lawlor though, such as the shot through the pop bumpers and the somewhat unconventional layout with a bunch of flippers and an upper playfield, etc. In many ways I think TSPP is basically Stern's version of TZ in terms of layout and complexity. TSPP really has "The kitchen sink" in terms of toys, ramps, flippers, and software depth.

#9 12 years ago

Indeed it seems similar to southpark (another game I hate) and WoZ. But I think TSPP is unique to Joe Balcer games. I at least commend the fact that it is some what unique and have some respect for that fact.

#10 12 years ago

It plays like a Lawlor. Take that however you will...

It actually reminds me of Ripleys somewhat.

- B

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

In many ways I think TSPP is basically Stern's version of TZ in terms of layout and complexity. TSPP really has "The kitchen sink" in terms of toys, ramps, flippers, and software depth.

I would agree with this, except to me TSPP is much more fun than TZ. We'll see which one lasts in my collection longer. TZ made it 4 months.

#12 12 years ago

Feels a lot like a Lawlor game. In fact, I'd take TSPP over FH or TAF.

#13 12 years ago

I agree it feels like a Lawlor game, but it also has some Barry Oursler-type flow to it. It has a little bit of everything: ramp shots, including steep ramps in the Steve Ritchie/Barry Oursler style, some shots that can only be hit by banking the ball, classic left and right orbits, several easy straight up shots that start various modes, ways to both randomize and select modes (like TZ).

There are other features that I find to be unique (maybe they're in other games but I can't think of any) like the flip-up garage door, having a ball lock behind a row of drop targets, the tri-color LED display that notes ball status, exits and mode time left. I love all the different ways to add time to the clock and the stand-alone LED display showing what modes are active.

What really impresses me about TSPP is how elegant its deep ruleset is integrated. You don't have to know or appreciate the depth of the game to immediately begin playing and enjoying it. It has shot call-outs that are relatively easy to follow, but once you learn more about the game, you discover lots of different approaches and strategies. I'm really enjoying the game. If WOZ has a similar kind of ruleset, it's going to be an amazing game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 218.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 45.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-observations-what-do-you-think-it-borrows-from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.