Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by lukerp
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lukerp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Hey all,

I'm having a problem wherein I'm not getting sound on my TSPP. I've tried the procedure outlined at http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sega/Stern_White_Star_Repair#Sound_problems, and am pulling 5.58V and -5.58V from chip U30, and 13.9V and -13.75V from connector CN2. I've also attempted to reseat the ROMs to no avail, as well as tried the old standby of reseating the connectors on the board.

The questions I have are:

1) Do those voltages appear out to lunch? They seemed a bit on the high side, but I've never tested such a thing before, so I'm unsure if that's acceptable or not. Also, if they are problematic, is there a good path for troubleshooting them? I didn't see anything sticking out from the sound section on PinWiki, but admittedly haven't delved deeper into the page.

2) Is it common for the ROMs to become corrupted? I have a burner, so if this is something I should check, or should just burn a fresh set, I can do so.

3) Is there a good way to test the TDA2030A amplifier? Considering that I don't have any sound, I'm thinking it would be a bit odd for both amps to go, but stranger things have happened.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as this is somewhat new ground for me. Thanks in advance for your time.

Luke

#3 8 years ago

Hey,

Nothing at all, but knowing that if U7 is out, nothing will work is good to know! Thank you.

Luke

#4 8 years ago

And since I got ahead of myself, yes, the rest of the machine does work.

Luke

#6 8 years ago

Hey,

Just a quick question: I have board 520-5300-00 Rev A. I looked into TSB 157 regarding flashing the sound OS to OS 8. I'm wondering if this is something that a) applies to me, and b) could be done by overwriting the existing EPROM at U7, then writing the sound code back to it when done? According to the TSB, LED1 is supposed to flicker a certain number of times based upon the sound OS installed; I'm not finding mine flickers at all. Thanks again.

Luke

#7 8 years ago

Also, just wanted to mention I read the ROMs with my burner, and everything checks out on them.

Luke

#8 8 years ago

And lastly, maybe a rookie dumb question: are the speakers/this circuit fused somewhere? Could I save myself some trouble by checking the obvious?

Luke

#10 8 years ago

Hey Chris,

Sorry to keep grinding your gears, but any thoughts on flashing the sound OS? Thank you.

Luke

#11 8 years ago

Also, to answer the question from a while back, no, I'm not getting chirps from the speakers on startup. Just somewhat of a "speaker with no signal going to it" hum.

Luke

#13 8 years ago

Hey,

Planning on ordering a probe tomorrow. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Luke

1 week later
#14 8 years ago

Hey all,

I received my microhooks, logic probe, and test clip over the past few days. From reading through the manual, it appears the CPU (U209) latches data into U5. I can see the that the 68B09E has a Vcc of five volts. As such, I should be able to test data being fed to U5 using my logic probe; however, I just want to verify that the chip is TTL before I do so. Also, is there a good place to latch onto the board with the logic probe to get my +5 volts? I'm assuming I can just grab a ground loop for the other side of things. Thanks in advance.

Luke

#16 8 years ago

Thanks Chris.

Upon checking the manual (page 131), there's an explanation of the sound section (U209 to U5, to U6, and so on). I have the board with the Amtel processor (CPU/Sound Board II), and there's no real explanation of the sound circuit there. From what I can sleuth out from the schematic, it goes from U209 to U404, then...through U402, maybe? Is there someplace I might find a bit of an explanation of this circuit, because I'm really confused as to what's going on? I was able to check pins 24 through 31 of U209, and they are all pulsing, so that does let me know information is at least being put out there. Thank you in advance for your time.

Luke

#18 8 years ago

Hey Chris,

Yes, it has made sound before. Worked fine for the better part of three years.

It's the 520-5300-00 board. There's a good chance that my reading of the schematic is way off in left field. Thanks again for your time.

Luke

#20 8 years ago

Hey,

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here, but I'm having difficulty determining the path the signal takes from the CPU (U209) on to the ROM chips (U7). This is likely just my unfamiliarity with reading the schematics; if someone could either let me know the path I should be tracing, or give me a crash course in "hey, this is how you'd start tracing that path", I'd appreciate it. Thanks again for taking the time to help.

Luke

#21 8 years ago

Hi again,

After some tracing back and forth, it appears the path travels from U209 to U414, U414 to U26, U26 to U30, then on to U101/102, then out to the speakers. I still have to determine which pins are used on each chip, but think I'm working my way forward. If this isn't correct, please let me know! Thanks.

Luke

1 month later
#22 8 years ago

I'm at idiot,

Did service bulletin 157, burned ROM U7, done. Sometimes I don't understand why I insist on things being hard. Thanks to all for the assistance.

Luke

8 months later
#24 7 years ago

And...back from the dead.

I had this issue come up again (sound OS gone), and I thought, "Oh, hey, I'll give this a try again."

Here's the deal. The M27C512 chip at U7 was screwed. I couldn't write to it after erasing it. Got a new chip. Put the sound OS on. I've fired up the machine, and am waiting for it to flash the sound.

The question I have for the masses: roughly how long should it take to flash this, and should LED1 be illuminated the entire time? I know that at the end of the process, the LED is supposed to flash, but I'm not getting to that point. I'm not sure if this indicates I should wait longer, or that something else is shot (if so, the board's heading out the door for repairs, as this is turning into a goat rodeo of epic proportions). Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Luke

#26 7 years ago

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to get in touch with Stern tomorrow and go from there.

Luke

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Springfield, MO
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lukerp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-no-sound-where-to-go-next?tu=lukerp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.