• Latest reply 6 years ago by lyonsden
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 3.03.11 PM (resized).png
#1 7 years ago

I have a problem with all the LED's in the "Mode sign" flickering during both game play and attract mode.
Anyone have an idea or two?

#2 7 years ago

Maybe it is a loose connection.
The connector to the "Mode sign" might not be sitting well on the board or with whatever it is connected.
Just press the connector a bit (with the game turned off) and see if it works then.

#3 7 years ago

If that isn't the case I could also imagine, that maybe the wires in this connector jumped out a bit and thus there is a loose connection.
I had that once on my Attack from Mars, the saucer didn't lite up. One of the wires completely jumped out of the connector.
I had to crimp these wires back in.

According to the TSPP manual the connector is located on the board behind the "Mini-TV", if you've meant the little display-screen.

2 months later
#4 6 years ago

I'm having the same issue with the Led Mode sign. Did you solve the problem??

3 weeks later
#5 6 years ago

Similar problem came up in this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-leds-on-mode-sign-are-acting-up

The short of it:
-The flickering (in that case) looked like strobing of the lamp matrix
-One of the LEDs was the problem. Once it was removed, the problem went away.
-A replacement LED has been ordered (VQA29 Miniature LED TRIANGULAR GREEN). Hopefully that will work as a replacement.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

Similar problem came up in this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-leds-on-mode-sign-are-acting-up
The short of it:
-The flickering (in that case) looked like strobing of the lamp matrix
-One of the LEDs was the problem. Once it was removed, the problem went away.
-A replacement LED has been ordered (VQA29 Miniature LED TRIANGULAR GREEN). Hopefully that will work as a replacement.

Is there a website you know that sells this replacement LED? I bought one online and it is the right size but after replacing it the LED stays lit all the time.

#7 6 years ago

I don't -- I was helping someone in the other thread diagnose the problem. Given that the resistor is 220 ohm, I was guessing at the correct LED to use (and that was the only triangle shaped one I could find). Have you tried the "regular" 3mm and 5mm LEDs that are often sold in Arduino starter kits? They may be a good thing to try and see if they behave correctly. Then based on their specs, see if you can find one with triangle shaped head.

#8 6 years ago

Digging some more at digikey, this looks like the a good replacement: https://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/4-0mm-x-4-5mm-triangle-with-flat-top-led-lamp/35917. It has looks like it can handle 20mA, with an input voltage of 2.2V. Using this resistor calculator: https://www.digikey.com/en/resources/conversion-calculators/conversion-calculator-led-series-resistor and assuming an input voltage of 6.3V, the 220 ohm resistor is perfect. (But keep in mind that I am just guessing at the size of the LED.)

Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 3.03.11 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-08-02 at 3.03.11 PM (resized).png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 16.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 45.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 218.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
$ 45.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-mode-sign-flickering and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.