Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1A1A2FB3-9B9C-470B-B7D4-52F416245054 (resized).png
20221017_193459 (resized).jpg
20221017_193445 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hi everyone,

I have a TSPP with some problems I am not sure how to fix and hope you all could help me out. It's been almost a year since I encountered my most recent issue and gave up on it, so some of the things may be out of order or not remembered exactly correct.

When I got this game it was mostly working, I just had to replace a few transistors in order to get it fully functioning. Once I accidentally forgot to trim a transistor's legs so they touched the metal mounting plate(oops). This caused the game to continuously restart over and over until I found my mistake and fixed it. The game played fine after the fix. I later removed the batteries and put the NVRAM chip in. I also added removable trim pots to eliminate speaker buzzing(currently the pots are removed). Sometime after the batteries were removed the current problem started happening.

At first it was the DMD display turning off but it would still display some info but not from the cpu, a manual power cycle would fix it temporarily. I replaced all the ribbon cables to see if they were the problem. The issue persisted and transformed into the current issue of the whole machine restarting itself. If I power on the machine after it has been sitting off for a long time the machine will turn on fine and start a game fine, even the display works fine. Maybe within a minute or two it will start having problems and make a beep noise and turn off, then turn back on. If I manually cycle the power at this point it will turn on fine but the problem will happen much sooner now. Now it just turns itself off and on over and over but kind of randomly. I will attach a short video of these symptoms at the end to hopefully clarify what I am seeing.

Today, I took out the backbox fuses and tested them for continuity and all of them made my multimeter beep. I also tested B21 and it showed 9.5v. I noticed the 50v led was not lighted for some reason so I restarted the machine and the led came on and B1 tested at 70-80v. I started a game and soon after the restarting issue occurred as described.

I am not sure what to do at this point. It seems 5v is being produced but the game restarts. Any help is appreciated as my family would love to play it again.

Thanks,
Jman44

#2 1 year ago

Not sure this is the same board system.
But I had this issue with South Park and there is pontimeter on the board to can adjust the 5volt level.
Just a tiny turn is all I had to do.
Have a picture of your mpu?

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Wariodolby:

Not sure this is the same board system.
But I had this issue with South Park and there is pontimeter on the board to can adjust the 5volt level.
Just a tiny turn is all I had to do.
Have a picture of your mpu?

I don't see any pot to adjust on mine. Here are some pics.

20221017_193445 (resized).jpg20221017_193445 (resized).jpg20221017_193459 (resized).jpg20221017_193459 (resized).jpg
#4 1 year ago

It’s this one!you have it !!
Just turn it a tiny bit at a time with machine off then on to check.rinse repeat
Turn it to the right…I think

1A1A2FB3-9B9C-470B-B7D4-52F416245054 (resized).png1A1A2FB3-9B9C-470B-B7D4-52F416245054 (resized).png
#5 1 year ago

Reseat the connector above the large silver heatsink. If this fixes the problem that connector will need to be repinned and the headers replaced

#6 1 year ago

DON'T adjust that pot unless you connect a multimeter to the 5V test point FIRST!!!

Measure the voltage at the test point BEFORE adjusting anything.

After confirming the voltage present you could try increasing it a TINY bit watching the meter as you do so. Don't go above 5V5 no matter what or you can cause massive damage to numerous chips.

The power supply board also should have those few missing earth screws replaced. They were put there by the factory for a purpose, not just to look good!

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from Wariodolby:

It’s this one!you have it !!
Just turn it a tiny bit at a time with machine off then on to check.rinse repeat
Turn it to the right…I think
[quoted image]

Thanks, I must be blind lol. I didn't need to mess with it though.

Quoted from pins4u:

DON'T adjust that pot unless you connect a multimeter to the 5V test point FIRST!!!
Measure the voltage at the test point BEFORE adjusting anything.
After confirming the voltage present you could try increasing it a TINY bit watching the meter as you do so. Don't go above 5V5 no matter what or you can cause massive damage to numerous chips.
The power supply board also should have those few missing earth screws replaced. They were put there by the factory for a purpose, not just to look good!

Good advice, I did not mess with the 5v and I found some extra screws to replace the missing ones.

Quoted from Chrizg:

Reseat the connector above the large silver heatsink. If this fixes the problem that connector will need to be repinned and the headers replaced

Instead of reseating I replaced it with a connector I had previously ordered. The old connector was cracked. After replacing the connector I turned the machine on and...it worked! I played two whole games without any restarting issues. Thank you for your suggestion. I would never have guessed a faulty connector could cause that kind of issue.

Thanks to everyone! My daughter will be very happy tomorrow to find her favorite game is working again!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 174.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Youngstown, OH
$ 218.00
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
$ 45.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-machine-is-resetting-itself?hl=pins4u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.