Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180306_131823 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hi there everyone,

Recently picked up a TSPP in excellent condition. However, upon finally playing a game last night, I've noticed there is what I have researched (and presume) to be ghosting happening quite severely in some lights on the playfield. It seems to be the exact lamp below it on the lamp matrix grid. For example, when I select Field of Screams (#11) with my right flipper, the Shoot Again (#3) is very strongly lit which has led to some annoying drains because I thought I still had ball save (see photo). Another severely bright one is the I&S Arrow (#13) then Special (#4) flashing its nuts off.

From what I can deduce, it's all the Itchy and Scratchy stuff + I&S 2x Scoring (#15) and Light Otto (#7) that have special relationships. On another post there was what seemed like a similar problem, but I couldn't access the video link so I'm unsure if its the same deal, which resolved in just needing new LEDs? However, another thread said it might be a circuit problem, which I have no knowledge of how to do. All I know is I need the Ghostbusters because there's alot of ghosting happening here!

Any thoughts on to how to troubleshoot? Do I need a new LED kit? Replace only the specific bulbs that are affected? etc.
Many thanks for your time,
Vic

20180306_131823 (resized).jpg20180306_131823 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Without the LED OCD board LEDs will be terrible in TSPP. Even the best no ghosting LEDs will still ghost. Your best bet is just to buy the LED OCD board then the LEDs you have in there will look great.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply RVA,

I'll take the plunge and purchase!

How easy is the install?
My knowledge of circuit boards and the works is not to great :S

Cheers

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from psychosoda:

How easy is the install?

Super easy ... Online directions...

#5 6 years ago

And I've just found said instructions!

I've placed an order and will report back in due time if it fixes the issue.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

#6 6 years ago

I put in all Pinball life ghost busters and have no ghosting issues on my simpsons. I probably would have put regular LEDs and an led ocd board in if I thought about it more before cleaning it up.

2 weeks later
#7 6 years ago

Update!

Received my LED OCD board from Comet Pinball yesterday. Installed and instantly the ghosting is gone! The lights look really 'mellow' and messing around with the software was interesting.

May have to pick one up for my LoTR!

Thanks to all

#8 6 years ago

Thanks for the order! Glad you got it all sorted out.

Just for a little extra info for anyone that sees this:

Ghosting is when a bulb should be off, but you can see it dimly lit or flickering. This is because there is a little bit of voltage at the socket...not enough to illuminate an incandescent, but enough to illuminate an LED. It can be fixed with non-ghosting bulbs. You can just replace the few inserts LEDs that are doing it, or replace all inserts. You won't need to do this for general illumination.

Separately, there are a few Stern games around this era that use a lot of fading effects on the inserts. LOTR is probably the worst, but TSPP is up there too. LEDs will look choppy unless you install an OCD board, which helps smooth them out.

#9 6 years ago

Yeah LED OCD is amazing in TSPP

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 16.00
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 218.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 174.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-led-severe-ghosting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.