Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by markmon
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drjbeyer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Well, I spent the snow day swapping out the bulbs in my TSPP and of course it was much more than I bargained for. I did get everything swapped but I noticed when I played the first game or two when one insert was lit, a totally unrelated insert would also be lit at a much dimmer level.

Lo and behold, when I ran a single lamp test the exact same thing happened. For example, when light I & C multiball insert is lit, the left inlane extra ball is also lit, but at a much dimmer level.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

-Jeff

#4 8 years ago

These bulbs were from Comet Pinball and I do not have that issue on any other games that I use these in?

#9 8 years ago

It's strange I did my entire NGG with the exact same bulbs and no ghosting whatsoever. I hope this isn't a future problem because I bought almost 1k worth of them at Comet's Christmas sale...

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

TSPP, in general feedback, can have 3-5 inserts that ghost. (The last one I did had the left in lane ghost too)
A few NG bulbs should solve your needs, an OCD board is a good option too.
Whats also fair to share is to be sure if you have any additional LED Mods, that they may have their wires reversed.
The last 3 weeks alone was about 6 pinsiders, with dozens of emails, over ghosting, which was solved with the reversing polarity of Mods they had installed with alligator clips.
Equally, I often hear of "ghosting" that turns out to be a resistor or diode.
Start with the simple answer first and work from from there.

No other LED mods on the machine. I did put flashers in the cooling towers which were just 555's - could that be it?

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

The cooling towers are 6.3V, so I would not expect any issues if you put 12V...but why not use 6.3V? or take out and test.
If the issue is, as you describe, a couple of inserts lighting faintly, when they should be off, it does sound like ghosting.
Some of the other replies are describing how LEDs behave in attract mode.....they cant fade, so they flicker...this is solved with OCD. If it, during game play, and its a faint lighting, it can flicker too, this sounds more like ghosting.
If they were flickering at fully lit, its a different issue.
Sometimes ghosting shows up later, ie, Jackpot lit, 2nd itchy and scratchy, and then extra ball lane.
Play the game a while, and see which ones bother you, or show up to take the first step, NG bulbs to solve.
Maybe a friend, fellow pinhead nearby has some NG bulbs, to try first.
Its not uncommon, and one either has the choice of fixing a couple afterward, like you, or spending, as kits or even self done, all inserts NG, which is $20 or more more. Hopefully, youll find your need to be just a few bulbs and done.
If you wish the full affects that incandescent has...fades and swipes, an OCD board is the best way to restore those effects,

I guess I didn't pay close enough attention when I ordered because like I said I did my NGG with no issues whatsoever. I may contact you privately to see whet my options are because I placed a very large order of these during your Black Friday sale.

Thanks for the info - much appreciated..

-Jeff

#19 8 years ago

I guess I just don't understand what "ghosting" really is. It just doesn't make sense to me that when I go into a single lamp test, one lights brightly and only one other (completely unrelated - not next pr previous in the matrix, etc.) lights dimly. Is that the true definition of ghosting? What is going on electronically to make this phenomenon happen?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.95
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 18.95
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

6,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drjbeyer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-led-issue?tu=drjbeyer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.