Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Dmod
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1E28C9A6-C350-4904-9A3F-D7686559F5F5 (resized).jpeg
    E5860247-B58D-490D-BDD6-E70B43D5A31B (resized).jpeg
    333F12CC-F78B-415C-93D2-32DA923C688C (resized).jpeg
    boot 03 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    boot 02 (resized).jpg
    boot 01 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

1. Installed new lcd Color DMD following instructions
    2. As an initial test, routed Color DMD power cable outside of machine to the 5v/12v aux jack in the front-right of the machine
    3. Booted up machine, Color DMD seemed to work (I saw high scores, etc)
    3. Updated Color DMD to TSPP 4.1 ROM.
    4. Went back to route Color DMD power cable properly through the cabinet. Also wiped down the playfield. Replugged it in to 5v/12v aux jack

After 4., it's not working properly and I'm getting various strange behaviors when booting up the machine. What I see most often:

1. turn on machine
    2. "Stern Pinball Simpsons Pinball Party Display Version A5.00" appears on the DMD. At same time, TV on PF displays "TEST"
    boot 01 (resized).jpgboot 01 (resized).jpg
    3. After a few seconds, the DMD goes blank, and the TV on PF is still saying "TEST" (for longer than usual)
    boot 02 (resized).jpgboot 02 (resized).jpg
    4. After a few more seconds, DMD still blank, TV on PF goes into normal operation (it's scrolling "stern pinball" in below shot)
    boot 03 (resized).jpgboot 03 (resized).jpg

Another thing that has happened once
    1. Turn on machine
    2. Color DMD is blank and TV on PF is all solid LEDs (I forget if Color DMD initially displayed "Stern Pinball Simpsons Pinball Party Display Version A5.00" prior to this)
    2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg

I don't believe issue is with Color DMD itself. It displays. It's LED lights up as "DONE". I can go into the menu...
    1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg

I've double/triple/quadruple checked pins on data cables are facing right way... here's what it looks like
    3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg

Other things I've tried:
    - reseating ROM on Display Controller Board (the original Stern one that's mounted to the Color DMD assembly)
    - Reseating all ribbon cables in the backbox
    - Reseating many of the power cables in the back box
    - Checking/reseating connections to various cables in the cabinet where I routed the Color DMD power cable
    - Tried a different 24-pin ribbon cable from CPU/Sound board to Display Controller Board
    - Followed trouble shooting at Color DMD website (the only measure I didn't understand was "turn the game OFF and try reseating the blue 40-pin LVDS cable at both ends by lifting the pullbar and sliding the connector gently out of the socket." I don't find any 40-pin cables anywhere.)

I suspect something unrelated to Color DMD got messed up during the install, but I really don't know. It seems like the Display Controller Board is talking to the Color DMD given the initial ""Stern Pinball Simpsons Pinball Party Display Version A5.00" is displayed, but somehow data is not coming through right from the CPU/Sound board to Display Controller Board (I did try a different cable). I have not yet tried reinstalling the original DMD and seeing what happens, but I may do that.

Thanks for any assistance!

#2 2 years ago

Did you make sure to change the Mount in colordmd settings to WS.

Hmm have you tried the original dmd to make sure it functions as normal?

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Did you make sure to change the Mount in colordmd settings to WS.
    Hmm have you tried the original dmd to make sure it functions as normal?

Yes, I set it to WS when installing. I just tried the original DMD and it's the same deal. Behaves still just as I describe above.

Thx,
    Jack

#4 2 years ago

Here's a video of the behavior I am seeing now (original DMD is temporarily hooked up).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4evoipo77cmgj89/IMG_7914.MOV?dl=0

For the life of me, the only thing I can think of is the display controller board or CPU board is borked somehow.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Here's a video of the behavior I am seeing now (original DMD is temporarily hooked up).
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/4evoipo77cmgj89/IMG_7914.MOV?dl=0
    For the life of me, the only thing I can think of is the display controller board or CPU board is borked somehow.

I was gonna say, sounds like a display controller thing….

How do the capacitors look?
    Are the chips pressed down all the way?

#6 2 years ago

Board looks okay visually. I’m not an expert with boards though. Rom is seated firmly. I did try reseating it. Here’s pics
    1E28C9A6-C350-4904-9A3F-D7686559F5F5 (resized).jpeg1E28C9A6-C350-4904-9A3F-D7686559F5F5 (resized).jpeg333F12CC-F78B-415C-93D2-32DA923C688C (resized).jpeg333F12CC-F78B-415C-93D2-32DA923C688C (resized).jpegE5860247-B58D-490D-BDD6-E70B43D5A31B (resized).jpegE5860247-B58D-490D-BDD6-E70B43D5A31B (resized).jpeg

As I said it was working before I started this, so that’s puzzling. But maybe the board got damaged somehow in the process. Thx for looking.

#7 2 years ago

Just a guess here, but don’t you need cpu and display rom 5.0 and not 4.1?

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Just a guess here, but don’t you need cpu and display rom 5.0 and not 4.1?

I was thinking the same thing. OP did you install the display and code 5.0 Roms

#9 2 years ago

The colordmd “rom” flash is version 4.1

Via pics the rom on the display board it is v5.0

This is localized to the cpu/display board if his dmd and colordmd both display the issue. Maybe a ribbon cable is funky? Any sharp creases in the cables?

#10 2 years ago

Thank you all for your ideas. 4.1 is the firmware version of the color DMD. I am running 5.0 game rom and display. Rom versions I doubt is the issue as I have reverted back to the original DMD (everything as it was when it was working) and getting the same issue.

northvibe I've tried three different 26-pin ribbon cables, reseating them, checked pin 1 direction, etc. I am really suspecting a board issue now. Unfortunately, boards is my major weakness in pinball repair skills. Any ideas on how someone with lame electronics skills can narrow down if problem in on display board versus cpu board? Also, I am working on getting my hands on some known working boards as my lame ass way to try to narrow it.

TY

#11 2 years ago

While it’s on and after the dmd goes black, have you tried reseating the power connection to the display board?

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mattyk:

While it’s on and after the dmd goes black, have you tried reseating the power connection to the display board?

Ok tried that and when I plug power back into the board, the text displaying the display rom version appears again for a few seconds then dmd goes blank again.

#13 2 years ago

I'm not going to be able to offer much help here but all the issues I've had with my TSPP have been resolved by reseating connectors. I have had boot loop problems in the past and reseating connectors including the ribbons at the driver board always helped. It sounds as if you have done this but may just try that again.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Ok tried that and when I plug power back into the board, the text displaying the display rom version appears again for a few seconds then dmd goes blank again.

You’re not in MN or WI are you?

I mean I hate having a game down, but if you reached out to a board person, Clive at coin op cauldron or Chris Hiblar, someone thag does board work. They may have an idea and can repair for you. May have to send the dmd controller and cpu board off.

Any used game I get, I usually send all the boards off as preventative maintenance.

#15 2 years ago

I would try reflowing the solder on those header pins. If it still doesn’t work I bet your connector is bad. You can get a new connector as well as the tool to reseat them wires in the connector. I do t know what it’s called. You could also use a mini flathead screwdriver. This is similar to a problem I had on a wwfrr. Once I put in a new connector I never had another issue

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

On my data East it was a 3 position .156 idc connector. Here is the tool

https://www.pinballlife.com/0156-396mm-idc-wire-insertion-tool.html

I think this is your problem. Those idc connectors can get flakey

#17 2 years ago

Ya older games and headers, easy thing to try and reflow those pins!

#18 2 years ago

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I did find this post which would add up as the issue. Not sure I want to mess with soldering chips so I think I need to accept shipping boards for repair in my future. I'll post the solution when I figure it out.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-whitestar-rct-dmd-blanking-out-help

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I did find this post which would add up as the issue. Not sure I want to mess with soldering chips so I think I need to accept shipping boards for repair in my future. I'll post the solution when I figure it out.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-whitestar-rct-dmd-blanking-out-help

First redo the connector at least. It’s cheap and you can do it faster than sending board out. To me it sounds like your power is cutting out. You could have wiggled the wires loose when you were pulling it off.

Reflowing solder is easy. You are simply heating up the solder points on the back of the board until it liquifies. Then remove the heat. Your connection will be brand new. Just my 2 cents

1 week later
    #20 2 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Here’s the solution. The problem was a bad U201 on the CPU/Sound Board which is the interface for the plasma controller. So it really was the exact same problem as that old post I linked. This info comes from Chris Hibler who repaired the board. So, somehow it got damaged during the install which I am not sure exactly how. Thank you again northvibe and Mattyk for troubleshooting w/me.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Here’s the solution. The problem was a bad U201 on the CPU/Sound Board which is the interface for the plasma controller. So it really was the exact same problem as that old post I linked. This info comes from Chris Hibler who repaired the board. So, somehow it got damaged during the install which I am not sure exactly how. Thank you again northvibe and Mattyk for troubleshooting w/me.

Thank you for posting the fix!

#22 2 years ago

I actually consulted with Chris on this issue last week. I only recall seeing this problem with one other customer (and the cause was slightly different) but I believe that U201 can be damaged if both the display board's 2-pin power cable and 26-pin ribbon cable are both reversed at the same time.

Reversing the power connection causes 5V to be injected onto the ground plane of the display board.
    (1) If the 26-pin ribbon cable is inserted properly, it will run back to the CPU board and short to ground at the CPU board. This shouldn't be a problem as the 5V regulator protects itself and drops the output voltage in the event of a short circuit.
    (2) But... If the 26-pin ribbon cable is reversed at the same time as the power misconnection, 5V will run back through the 26-pin ribbon cable into U201 and can damage the buffer.

To avoid issues it's important to make sure the ribbon cable is connected to the display board with the red stripe on pin 1, and also to observe the proper polarity on the power header. Reversing either one alone has a low likelihood of permanent damage, but reversing both at the same time can lead to problems.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-display-boot-issue-after-installing-new-color-dmd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.