(Topic ID: 118582)

TSPP - Couch ball release intermittent issue.

By Beatnik-Filmstar

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 54 days ago by sllerts
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

50C07924-14E7-4ABB-8B85-9CE0D79BE2CD (resized).jpeg
plastic-washer-1.jpg
plastic-washer-2.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I'm back for more!

Posted about this in the TSPP owners thread a while back but didn't get a response. It's happening a bit more often now and annoying me, so I thought I've start a thread. Something's happening with the coil that operates the plunger that releases balls from the couch.

Upon locking a third ball, the multiball animation starts as it should, but now and then, one of the balls gets caught as it's being released. Like the coil pulls the plunger back enough for a ball to fall, but then releases it again and wedges the ball in place as it's dropping out of the couch. If it happens to the first ball released the game will go into ball search mode and it will try again. The first time I ever noticed it, it had happened to the third ball and it just held it in place until the other balls drained. If I remember right I had to manually remove that one.

I also have the game set to drop all balls out of the couch at the end of a game in order to start with zero locks for the next game. If a ball gets stuck at that point, starting a new game gets you the missing ball message and it's then released.

Any ideas on what's going on or what to adjust?

I've got the couch weld fix in place - It's not that the couch frame is bent or anything. And to my knowledge the weld fix helps prevent the plunger from no longer holding balls at all.

All three of the couch switches seem to be working fine. There's never been any problem with it knowing how many balls are in there at a given time.

If there's something to adjust - any pointers? It seems like getting the coil (And hence, the plunger) back a little bit might do it, but I don't see any way to do so.

Other easy thing would just be to replace the coil, but I'd rather not bother unless that makes sense to do.

#2 9 years ago

I think you might need a couch weldment that you can get on line. Common enough problem that they sell a fair amount of them. I got a couple of extras. I have 3 or 4

#3 9 years ago

Check to see if the coil stop on the couch is bent back. Mine is, but I haven't ordered the replacement yet. This thread has some pictures of what I'm talking about:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-couch-lock-coil-stop-permanent-fix

*EDIT - I just read your entire post, sorry. I guess I don't have any new info for you.

#4 9 years ago

Thanks for the responses.

Yeah - I have the weld fix in place. Don't think that really has anything to do with it though. I think the issue there was the coil bending the back of the weldment so much that the plunger would no longer align with the hole on the other end - making it not catch the balls at all.

My issue almost seems to be the opposite. I think the issue wouldn't exist if my coil was actually a quarter inch or so further back, but didn't see any way to adjust that. Everything is pretty snug.

#5 9 years ago

You know, the more I think about it - I'm wondering if pinaholic might be right.

I installed the weld fix a little over a month or so ago after getting the table. The prior owner (ugh) had done a stop gap fix that involved a wood screw directly into the upper playfield.

I'm wondering now if maybe the weldment isn't bent just enough that while the plunger is still alligned with the hole, perhaps it's rubbing on it just enough to slow it down and causing it to catch the balls. And expensive thing to buy on a hunch though - think I'll check the couch when I get home and see if th e plunger is rubbing along the edges of the hole at all.

#6 9 years ago

I had a first run TSPP. The coil stop on the couch weldment was flexing and needed to be bent back into place to prevent problems with the plunger slipping totally out of alignment and getting stuck back, unable to hold balls in the couch.

I bought the weld fix to reinforce the original weldment, and it worked fine for months.

Then, the coil stop broke off. I paid $50 or whatever for a new couch weldment, installed it with the weld fix reinforcement, and was good to go.

But, even after all that, the couch release would do weird things once in a while like what you describe. Some of the problems seemed like things the software (I had v 5.0) should have been able to handle, but it just didn't.

I don't think your weldment is the problem. When it failed for me (either bent or broken), it was very obvious and caused major problems unlike what you describe.

#7 9 years ago

Thanks for the info, mot. (Running 5.0 as well here.)

Think I'll just go through it when I get home and see if there's anything loose, or if the plunger/coil are misaligned at all. Like I've said - I do have the weld fix in place, but a prior owner/operator had used a wood screw, so I assume the weldment has given problems in the past. If they were willing to wood screw it, I doubt they replaced the weldment. Will have to check to see if the stop is still at a decent 90 degrees or not.

Intermittent issues are so annoying. This has just cropped up in the last two weeks or so, but seems to be getting more frequent. Thinking about how things are assembled, I have to think the coil is slightly loose, or not quite aligned. I mean, it just doesn't make much sense that it would be retracting the plunger and releasing it faster as time goes on, right? At least I think that makes no damn sense.

Edit - well Hell. Shipment tracking shows a load of cliffy's due to be delivered to me today anyway. Tonight is explode the table night I guess.

#8 9 years ago

Yes, intermittent issues are the worst!

Too strong of a spring seems like a half-reasonable explanation, although I really doubt that's the problem.

Also, I had weird problems with my TSPP that were resolved by doing a factory reset. If you're willing to lose your high scores, that would be a decent thing to try. Here's some evidence of a weird (and totally unrelated) problem resolved by a software reset.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from mot:

Yes, intermittent issues are the worst!
Too strong of a spring seems like a half-reasonable explanation, although I really doubt that's the problem.
Also, I had weird problems with my TSPP that were resolved by doing a factory reset. If you're willing to lose your high scores, that would be a decent thing to try. Here's some evidence of a weird (and totally unrelated) problem resolved by a software reset.

I'll give it a shot. I set things to dump scores 2-5 every 100 games as it is. Any my grand champ score is nothing to write home about anyway.

Just frustrating, as I've only really seen this happen while playing a game. Glass off, in coil test and it drops balls perfectly every single time.

1 week later
#10 9 years ago

Please forgive the self serving bump, but an update of sorts for anyone that ever has this happen. I *think* I know what's causing the issue.

Installed a set of cliffys on my machine this week and while I had some things apart I tried to trouble shoot this a bit more. (Problem still happening. And still maddeningly inconsistent - previously suggested reset didn't do the trick. )

So, as mentioned above, I do have the couch weld installed, but my machine was previously routed and used to have a wood screw in the upper playfield as a cheap fix, so I assume there was some problems with it in the past. The plunger is lined up right with the weldment though so I don't think there's really any issue there.

For what it's worth there is a little play with the coil. Not really sure if that's normal or not.
Short video (That I swear I turned my phone for!)

Like I said though, the plunger is aligned just fine.
On the other hand, I noticed something else while poking around.

There's a little nylon spacer that lines the hole in the weldment that the plunger goes through. A part of it is broken on the coil side of the hole.
plastic-washer-1.jpgplastic-washer-1.jpg

Looks broken from the other side as well, but that's actually by design.
plastic-washer-2.jpgplastic-washer-2.jpg

I'm assuming that it's supposed to be in there snug, but it's not. Video two of some coil tests. Notice that it's rattling a bit and occasionally seems to stick out further - the third time the coil fires in particular.

Ran a load of balls through there, and I'm pretty sure it's actually this little nylon spacer that's causing the issue. Catches the ball just enough to hang it up and get stuck by the plunger when it returns.

So that's where I'm gonna try. Now where to find the part. Marco has them for an obnoxious $2.10 - $9.09 after shipping. And of course I ordered a new couch and center ramp from them earlier this week. Gonna search a few places and then just bite the bullet.

Edit - 85 cents at Bayareaamusements, free shipping. Awesome.

#11 9 years ago

Following along. I am a new tspp owner and situations like this are my nightmare scenario. Hope you find the solution.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

Following along. I am a new tspp owner and situations like this are my nightmare scenario. Hope you find the solution.

Well, I ordered the nylon thing. (I had misread - there was shipping, but whatever.)

Will update if that takes care of it. I really think that's it though.

And for the record, this is my first table. Only owned it 10 weeks or so. I've come to find that I kinda like the random putzing around and repairs. It's just that while it might make up 5% of the fun, it's roughly 110% of the frustration.

#13 9 years ago

Part came in the mail today. If by chance this happens to someone else and they stumble onto the thread - it appears that the little nylon washer thing was the culprit. Ran dozens of balls through the couch - the nylon part stayed snug, and all balls were released without issue.

#14 9 years ago

Yaaaaaaaaa ! Glad you got it fixed .

#15 9 years ago

Come back to report if it starts happening again.

#16 9 years ago

Will do. (If I'm brave enough to play it - can't notice any issues if I don't play, you know?)

Didn't actually play any games last night - just tested things with the glass off since I had to take off to league night shortly after getting the part installed. Will bump the thread again if it turns out not to be the issue.

1 year later
#17 8 years ago

Can someone link me to the part that is referenced above? I can't find it anywhere!

#18 8 years ago

For anyone else coming along this was the part. I had misread though - it wasn't free shipping.

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MC-545-5485-00

Actually turned into a $5.67 piece of plastic, but what can you do? Everything still working great - not a single issue since.

4 years later
#19 4 years ago

Pinball resource has them in stock as well. Please note that you do need to remove the coil stop, move the plunger out of the hole, so you can get that piece in place.

Shoutout to beatnik who was kind enough to PM me back with the approach.

I also put in the couch weldment piece while I was there. It had the common wood screw fix there before (which actually worked really well and was not visible.

1 year later
#20 2 years ago

Hi, I’m in need of one of these nylon washers but for the life of me can’t find the part number, could someone kindly post a link to a suppliers page that is showing the part please.

Thanks I’m advance

#21 2 years ago

I took the product code from the old dead bay area amusement and pasted it into marco's search. I think this is right.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-8790-2

I had an issue with two balls instead of one being release from the couch. I put two washers under the front mount tabs to adjust the incline of the couch and it has worked fine.

#22 2 years ago

Great thank you, I just got my tspp AMA the couch does not work at all, the coil stop end has snapped, the spring is shot and the washers are missing so hunting down the pieces to rebuild,

After further investigation it looks like I’m missing this plastic catch which helps the rod spring back, does anyone know the part number?

Thank you.

50C07924-14E7-4ABB-8B85-9CE0D79BE2CD (resized).jpeg50C07924-14E7-4ABB-8B85-9CE0D79BE2CD (resized).jpeg
#23 2 years ago

Managed to find the part - eclips! Luckily local store had some.

Put it all back together and got the coil working but for some reason the balls don’t drain when the game ends, turning the pin off and on again the coil activates and releases the balls.

Any ideas?

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from Tomshine:

Managed to find the part - eclips! Luckily local store had some.
Put it all back together and got the coil working but for some reason the balls don’t drain when the game ends, turning the pin off and on again the coil activates and releases the balls.
Any ideas?

This is a setting. I leave mine like you have it. Its cheating.....but cool if the person before leaves 2 on the couch...

Also, do you have the nylon bushing in there? Makes that rod slide nicely. Mine was missing and I added it later. I THINK this is correct but do not quote me.

#25 2 years ago

Thanks insight, should be arriving here in next few days, currently when I get 3 balls on the couch I don’t always get the multi all to start instead I get the ‘looking for balls’. I’m hoping it’s the bushing missing that is causing it

2 years later
#26 58 days ago
Quoted from insight75:

This is a setting. I leave mine like you have it. Its cheating.....but cool if the person before leaves 2 on the couch...
Also, do you have the nylon bushing in there? Makes that rod slide nicely. Mine was missing and I added it later. I THINK this is correct but do not quote me.

Do you know what setting this is under?
Cheers

#27 54 days ago
Quoted from Trent_Ball:

Do you know what setting this is under?
Cheers

It's a game-specific setting in the adjustments. I forget what it's called but it's pretty obvious. I always have the couch empty itself at the end of a game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 218.00
$ 16.00
$ 45.00
6,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-couch-ball-release-intermittent-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.