End_Of_Stroke_Switch_-_Stern_Pinball_1.jpg
tube.jpg
nottouching.jpg
leaf.jpg
buttons.jpg
coil.jpg
spring.jpg
buttonLeft.jpg
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Just picked up The Simpsons Pinball Party. Looks like maybe the delivery damaged some things.

1. Left Main Flipper
- Sometimes doesn't work
- Sometimes drops then pops back up
- Sometimes drops the ball if I am holding a ball
- Sometimes hits very wimpy, almost doing nothing

2. Left Upper Flipper
- Same as Left Main Flipper

3. Garage Door
- Sometimes the ball hits the door and it doesn't play " Get in the garage" notification.
- Sometimes when hit, the door only opens a little "each hit"
- Sometimes when hit again it will close.
- Whenever the above happen and the ball makes it into the garage it will go all the way and come out the left ramp avoiding the upper living room.

Any ideas? I am still a noob pin-tech. But doing my best to learn. Any help would be amazing.

#2 10 years ago

It's clearly beyond repair, sell it to me :-p

No but in all seriousness for your left flipper I would first check the end of stroke switches beneath it and the cabinet switches as well, sounds like you're making "flaky" contact

#3 10 years ago

Garage door coil mech needs to be cleaned and a new sleeve, some people put in a stronger coil but it isn't really needed.

#4 10 years ago

Thanks fattrain, haha I love the game so far, when it works correctly I am sure I will love it even more.

I notice that the left button mechanism is different than my right. I took some pictures last night. As well, I notice one spring looks sprung out compared to the functional right side. Any ideas for the garage? When I get home from work I will get all grease monkey on it. Hope I find something loose for captain obvious.

buttonLeft.jpgbuttonLeft.jpg spring.jpgspring.jpg

#5 10 years ago

Thanks tracelifter, tonight I will get under the hood and see what I find. When you say new sleeve, what is that exactly. For the (L) flippers should I be also looking under the upper play-field's left mini flipper? Or will the problem be just on the main level?

#6 10 years ago

There is a nylon sleeve inside the coil, you can clean them but they are cheap and I just toss them.
The flipper may need to be cleaned or rebuilt but I would follow Fattrains advice and check out the leaf switches first, pull a business card through them to clean and adjust them if needed.
Pull on the wires to make sure they are on there solid.

#7 10 years ago

Great advice, thank you both. I will update this post tonight. What would I do without pinside people? I would be doomed lol...

#8 10 years ago

That EOS in your pic looks pretty mangled and so is the spring.
It should be adjusted at the base, not at the tip.

#9 10 years ago

Could that be causing Main & Upper Flipper problems? When I looked at the right side EOS the spring looked solid. Not stretched like this photo.

#10 10 years ago

*Sorry this was suppose to be pinside mail not a post, dont know how to delete a post..*

Hey Fattrain, how did you get your hands on a 2013 Predator pinball? How do you like it, was curious how it turned out. I have only seen the whiteboards.

#11 10 years ago

OK I have some photos.

I took HD photos of the left and right Flippers. Seems the previous owner has 2 different buttons. Left side is really bent over. As well by the coils the (Left Bad side) has a huge gap between the leafs. Should I bend them by the coils so they are closer?

coil.jpgcoil.jpg buttons.jpgbuttons.jpg

#12 10 years ago

Question. I know on Bally/Williams the leafs are suppose to touch when the button is pressed. In my case on the Stern when the arm pivots nothing happens, the arm doesn't touch, hit or close the leafs.. They stay separated. Arn't they suppose to make contact just like the buttons do? Will confirm before I do anything. I assume you can blow a coil if this is set up wrong.

#13 10 years ago

You have a few things going on there.

Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Seems the previous owner has 2 different buttons.

You also have different flipper button switches on each side. The left side has the old style contacts and the right has cross hatch. They also have different fasteners. Phillips and slotted hex head (factory).

Left side is really bent over.

Get the correct buttons. I would go ahead and replace all the switches too.

As well by the coils the (Left Bad side) has a huge gap between the leafs.

I believe both of those should normally be closed. You can verify this by looking at flipper wiring diagram in the yellow section of the manual. Also, one is noticeably deformed. The other is badly bent. I would also suggest replacing both of those (EOS switches).

The rest of what I can see looks okay. Before you order any parts, I would check to see how much play there is between your link and crank bar on each flipper. Might need those parts too. Part numbers for all parts are in the manual.

#14 10 years ago

Thanks phishrace, since this was DOA yesterday, I would assume the company I bought it from will honor replacing these parts. They noted that this machine was restored by a professional via electronically and mechanically. Really nice dude so lets hope he stays nice. So far I am a bit unhappy with my purchase considering all the electrical tape I see around the machine and these problems day one. I will keep you posted.

#15 10 years ago

@ Tracelifter I cleaned the coil for the Garage door and seems to work for a bit. Then same thing. So I ordered the new coil that Stern had a service update for the Garage. Hope that works. But the flippers are DOA it seems.

#16 10 years ago

@ phishrace, Looks like in the manual (attached) the leaf is clearly suppose to be touching on idle/unpressed state. Then when the arm swings over its suppose to break connection. Should I just try bending it so they touch by default? Strange, why would the right side work if that one is also not touching be default/idle. I don't want to blow anything up, so I will wait to confirm that the leaf ends are suppose to be touching on default "Not pressing a button".

leaf.jpgleaf.jpg

#17 10 years ago

yup, I just noticed that it was a setting. Was trying to delete my post haha In terms of, should the leafs be touching be default or should they be separated? I want to test them by bending them to touch but want to confirm before I break something.

#18 10 years ago

The balls staying on the couch is a setting you can turn on or off - maybe feature adjustment 29 I think?

#19 10 years ago

EOS are touching on mine by default. Here's some good info given to me by pinballx:
Here is an article that explains it best:

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/pinball-101/terminology/137-eos-end-of-stroke-switch

To summarize, newer pinballs (including TSPP) do not require an EOS, although it does still exist. You can change your flipper linkage so that the switch opens (it is normally closed on Sterns), but unless a ball hits an engaged flipper really hard (not really possible on TSPP) which would cause the high voltage circuit to fire the coil again, it won't make any difference. No fried coils or transistors, unless you keep those switches open -- which is why many people just leave them alone. A common "noob" mistake is to open the switches like on older Williams/Bally machines, which eventually can fry a coil or (more likely) a transistor.

#20 10 years ago

Thanks ab3, I think my TSPP is a 2003 and the photo above is showing my machine off and the leafs really far away, clearly not touching. Attached is the same photo highlighting the leaf not touching. So, what you are saying is they should be touching and I can go in and bend them a little so they touch at default and open up when the arm hits the tab.

nottouching.jpgnottouching.jpg

#21 10 years ago

ok, I went in and bent them so they touched. Bit ugly but they make contact and the hammer separates them when button pressed. So far, Whoo hooo!!! I will play bunch of games and see if it solved the problem. I will go ahead and bend the other side as well.

#22 10 years ago

Hope it keeps working for you! I just had a good game of 140 million tonight- got secret stash, mystery spot, alien inavasion. Have fun.

#23 10 years ago

holy shit!!!! congrats! I now have a chance to score points with my shit working right haha. Time to get a new beer and get my game on

#24 10 years ago

Doh, its back. It lasted for a long time and now its back to randomly not working. And now the solenoid that pops the ball up to the upper playfield sometimes isn't strong enough to get to the top? However, the flipper is working in longer spurts before it will give me a hiccup. So, it's more playable but needless to say if you are in a high score game and you lose a ball cuz the flipper did not fire. is serious.

#25 10 years ago

Clean/replace solenoid sleeve for the vuk. There is also a setting for solenoid strength- you can try changing that in the menu. Hopefully others will weigh in re the flipper.

#26 10 years ago

thanks ab3, do you know if TSPP uses the same size sleeve for all solenoids and what size are they? I am on the train to work right now so I can also check when I get home. if i increase the strength couldn't that overload the solenoid?

#27 10 years ago

Doh, its back. It lasted for a long time and now its back to randomly not working. And now the solenoid that pops the ball up to the upper playfield sometimes isn't strong enough to get to the top? However, the flipper is working in longer spurts before it will give me a hiccup. So, it's more playable but needless to say if you are in a high score game and you lose a ball cuz the flipper did not fire. is serious.

Check the sleeve and the mech for bining as mentioned, but also make sure all four "ribs" are on the top of the plastic plate for the vuk. If any of those are broke or the vuk isn't flush/straight for a direction upshot, the ball often will not make it cleanly to the upper playfield.

#28 10 years ago

Thanks ralphwiggum, when I get home I will check out the vuk. Thanks for the notes it will help me comprehend what I am looking at For the garage door I will be replacing the solenoid with a (Stern 090-5036-OT/24-940 Coil) as well for the times where the ball doesn't go up to the living room and just takes the left ramp instead. "bracket between the ramp and guide may be bent". As well I noticed last night the ball was not staying in the couch. It would go up and just fall down. Sigh so many problems, I feel like I bought a fixer-upper not an $4k overpriced restored routed POS. The price should have been $3.5k or less. Oh well, at least I am learning how to fix stuff with all your help.

#29 10 years ago

Thanks ralphwiggum, when I get home I will check out the vuk. Thanks for the notes it will help me comprehend what I am looking at For the garage door I will be replacing the solenoid with a (Stern 090-5036-OT/24-940 Coil) as well for the times where the ball doesn't go up to the living room and just takes the left ramp instead. "bracket between the ramp and guide may be bent". As well I noticed last night the ball was not staying in the couch. It would go up and just fall down. Sigh so many problems, I feel like I bought a fixer-upper not an $4k overpriced restored routed POS. The price should have been $3.5k or less. Oh well, at least I am learning how to fix stuff with all your help.

Unless you have a burned up coil, they aren't a device you should have to replace (although they can warp). They either work or they don't. here is the last one I refurbed if you need any reference pics- http://northernpinball.com/free-stuffs/166-the-simpsons-pinball-party

I just bought another one myself (my son was scared of some of the callouts on it, only because he was young then, now he is 5 and handles it much better). This one was a Chuck E Cheese machine that needs a buttload of work.... But for $2500, I am happy...

as far as your other issues (If I am following along correctly)

Garage door not opening all the way- Check sleeve and assembly for proper tightness/slop. from there, Check the end of the nylon plunger that touches the garage door. That nylon plunger can wear in one direction causing binding like you are experiencing. Sand/file plunger flat and re-install, should take care of it.

Couch- Plunger sticking inside the hole not locking balls- Loosen upper ramp so you can get at the small bracket holding the coil inside the couch. remove bracket and use two pairs of pliers or vice grips, or press, etc. and rebend bracket inwards. Re-install.... If it continues to bend outward, buy the bracket stop fix that is readily available. (last time I bought it from Pinball resource it was like 12 bucks).....I see Bay Area has it for an asinine amount....

Hope that helps....

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Unless you have a burned up coil, they aren't a device you should have to replace (although they can warp). They either work or they don't. here is the last one I refurbed if you need any reference pics- http://northernpinball.com/free-stuffs/166-the-simpsons-pinball-party
I just bought another one myself (my son was scared of some of the callouts on it, only because he was young then, now he is 5 and handles it much better). This one was a Chuck E Cheese machine that needs a buttload of work.... But for $2500, I am happy...
as far as your other issues (If I am following along correctly)
Garage door not opening all the way- Check sleeve and assembly for proper tightness/slop. from there, Check the end of the nylon plunger that touches the garage door. That nylon plunger can wear in one direction causing binding like you are experiencing. Sand/file plunger flat and re-install, should take care of it.
Couch- Plunger sticking inside the hole not locking balls- Loosen upper ramp so you can get at the small bracket holding the coil inside the couch. remove bracket and use two pairs of pliers or vice grips, or press, etc. and rebend bracket inwards. Re-install.... If it continues to bend outward, buy the bracket stop fix that is readily available. (last time I bought it from Pinball resource it was like 12 bucks).....I see Bay Area has it for an asinine amount....
Hope that helps....

Fantastic Advice, Thank you very much. Thanks for the pics you really got that playfield clean. Some day I want to clean mine. Lots of wax buildup under the plastics. and $2.5k is a damn good deal! I use to live few miles from you in Milwaukee. I never noticed any pins in any pubs or anything.

Below is the current list of problems followed by comments.

1. (Garage door)
After cleaning the sleeve it worked "better" but still bad. You mention the plunger is suppose to be flat at the end? Mine was rounded all the way around. So perfectly rounded that it looked like it was suppose to be rounded and not flat?

2. (Ball not going up to living room and takes left ramp instead)
I read that between the ramp and the guide a metal braket is probably bent inwards. (Will investigate)

3. (Couch "sometimes" not holding balls)
Thanks for the input. I will do exactly as you mention above.

4. (Ball cant make it up to the mini playfield without some wiggle help)
Thanks for the input. I will do exactly as you mention above.

5. (Left main & mini flippers sometimes dont work)
I have bent back the leafs on the coils. They now touch, however they dont touch perfectly like the working right side. The left side touch at a slant, so not the best contact. I will order new leafs for the coils and buttons and see if that helps. As well, the coil and arm seems to be ok, no sloppy wiggle. (HOWEVER) I have not cleaned the sleeve for the flipper coil yet. Could cleaning the sleeve on the flipper coil help my irregular flipper?

Once again, Thank you everyone!!

#31 10 years ago

As well. what is this plastic tube? It was just laying loose at the bottom of the cab.

Clear Plastic Spacer 80MMx 1/2 Inch OD Simpsons Pinball Party

tube.jpgtube.jpg

#32 10 years ago

1. (Garage door)
After cleaning the sleeve it worked "better" but still bad. You mention the plunger is suppose to be flat at the end? Mine was rounded all the way around. So perfectly rounded that it looked like it was suppose to be rounded and not flat?

I don't recall offhand, I think round is fine. I noticed on a few I have worked on, they were getting directional in nature from wear....

2. (Ball not going up to living room and takes left ramp instead)
I read that between the ramp and the guide a metal braket is probably bent inwards. (Will investigate)

Yep, that metal bracket is probably pushed inwards. Sometimes the ball will even get stuck in there.....

5. (Left main & mini flippers sometimes dont work)
I have bent back the leafs on the coils. They now touch, however they dont touch perfectly like the working right side. The left side touch at a slant, so not the best contact. I will order new leafs for the coils and buttons and see if that helps. As well, the coil and arm seems to be ok, no sloppy wiggle.

Most likely the culprit is these switches. If you are ordering new switches anyways, with the machine off, slide a file or some fine grit sandpaper in between the contacts and just polish it up a bit... these will wear over time with this type of contact, but since you are ordering new ones anyways, no biggie. They may last 5 days or they may last 5 years, it is amazing how much better machines hold up in a home environment....

#33 10 years ago

Thanks again You rock!

I found these EOS to replace on the coils -

1. http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BAA&Product_Code=BS-180-5124-01

or

2. http://www.amazon.com/End-Of-Stroke-Switch-180-5149-00/dp/B0090823IU/ref=sr_1_2

However I am trying to find what Flipper Button Switches I need. As well ones that come with the transistors or fuse or whatever them things are that arch at the bottom of the Flipper Button Leaf Switch. I dont have my manuel with me.

MAYBE THESE?

1. http://tinyurl.com/p5xyr6g

or

2. http://tinyurl.com/nrpse7k

or

3. http://tinyurl.com/popunhw

#34 10 years ago

Don't guess. You already have mismatched parts. I know it sucks when you expected it to be working when it arrived, but be patient and do it right. The blue section of the manual will tell you everything you need to know.

While you don't have your manual, I'd suggest you go over to Stern's website and check on the service bulletins for TSPP. Sounds like one or two may be related to your problems.

When you do have your manual, the YELLOW section will confirm that the EOS switches are normally closed. Find the flipper circuit diagram, find the EOS switches and see if they say N.C. (normally closed) or N.O. (normally open). Blue section of the manual for part numbers, yellow section to see how they're all wired together.

#35 10 years ago

Thanks Phishrace, I will wait on my order till I get home to confirm and get the part numbers. I do know Stern had the service update for the Garage Door. Will take a look and see if I notice more service updates.

#36 10 years ago

Ok, I clearly cant focus on work. My brain is full on pinballs. I found a PDF Manuel (B&W) - http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/4674/Stern_2003_The_Simpsons_Pinball_Party_Manual.pdf

#37 10 years ago

Ok good news.

The Coil EOS are: End Of Stroke Switch - Stern Pinball 180-5149-00
End_Of_Stroke_Switch_-_Stern_Pinball_1.jpgEnd_Of_Stroke_Switch_-_Stern_Pinball_1.jpg

However, for the Flipper Buttons in the manuel it says (2) Flipper Switch 180-5160-00 but this is a single switch. Dont I need the x2 stacked for upper and lower? Notice in green it says zero but in the diagram it says left uses single and right uses stacked? So confused what ones I am suppose to get. (two) 180-5160-00 or (two) 180-5164-00 or (one of each) lol
page.jpgpage.jpg

This is the x2 stacked in the page above 180-5164-00 (What my Right working Flipper Switch is currently) with Disc capacitors.
500-6890-01.gif500-6890-01.gif

I also found x1 Single switch 180-5160-00 with Disc capacitors.
500-6889-01.gif500-6889-01.gif

Again, Thank you all for taking the time to help me. I cant express how grateful I am for all the help from everyone of you. I hope some day I will be able to return the favor by helping others with their problems.

#38 10 years ago

Just to sum up my extra long comment above.

The above documentation says I only use (2) Single Switches. Currently my Pin is using (2) Double Switches. I assume since I have the 3rd flipper on the right I would need a double for that one. But since the left only has one (Not including mini-playfield) I would use the single. However I do not trust my opinion yet.

So I either Buy:

A. (BOTH) Flipper Sw X2 Stack for Lwr/Upr Flippers #180-5164-00

or

B. (BOTH) x1 Flipper Switch - Self Cleaning #180-5160-00

or

C. (ONE EACH) x1 & x2

#39 10 years ago

Yes, one of each. 5160 x 1 and 5164 x 1. That manual is wrong. EOS switch part number above is correct. Flipper button is number 6 in the box above. Page before will give you the part number.

#40 10 years ago

Sounds good, one of each it is. And these come with capacitors attached.

Now I impatiently wait for them to be delivered like a child trapped in an adults body lol.
I even tossed in some Pinball Wizard License Plate frames. lol
lic_plates2.jpglic_plates2.jpg

But I will try the sandpaper trick like Talphwiggum mentioned. I did previously try running a card a few times but I bet light smooth sandpaper will work better. Regardless the 4 parts will be replaced.

Next on the list is the mini-playfield and couch lock.

>>> Thanks Pinball Masters! <<<

#41 10 years ago

As well. what is this plastic tube? It was just laying loose at the bottom of the cab.
Clear Plastic Spacer 80MMx 1/2 Inch OD Simpsons Pinball Party

That tube goes on the mini PF flipper shaft and a round white bushing sets on top of it.
It should be in the hole right under the flippers, if not you need to order that part also.
See Section 4 Chapter 2 page 80 in your manual.

#42 10 years ago

Oh man! So, this was just rolling around in the cabinet. I assume it was never put on. - heading to the manual now...

#43 10 years ago

oh I see, it pretty much keeps the flipper spaced and from falling down? Maybe it was an extra... will find out tonight.

#44 10 years ago

oh I see, it pretty much keeps the flipper spaced and from falling down? Maybe it was an extra... will find out tonight.

It keeps proper spacing for up and down play and the bushing on top keeps the flipper centered in the hole in the mini PF so it doesn't just wobble around in the hole.

#45 10 years ago

Woot! ok sand paper worked. I ran in on Flipper Switches and the Coil Switches. Thus far, I have proper flipper action. Funny part is, I just fixed that and started playing. I almost got on the score board at 25mil. And the couch drops my ball and game over. hahah. So I took your advice and now the couch works correctly. Thank you

Question. My flashers do work. However when I go to test my flashers nothing lights up. But in game they work? Am I doing something wrong?

#46 10 years ago

Two buttons inside the coin door, pull the top one out.

#47 10 years ago

Woot! ok sand paper worked. I ran in on Flipper Switches and the Coil Switches. Thus far, I have proper flipper action. Funny part is, I just fixed that and started playing. I almost got on the score board at 25mil. And the couch drops my ball and game over. hahah. So I took your advice and now the couch works correctly. Thank you
Question. My flashers do work. However when I go to test my flashers nothing lights up. But in game they work? Am I doing something wrong?

Awesome, good to hear... report back when you have completed Pretzel Multiball, Springfield Mystery Spot, and Alien Invasion....

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

Two buttons inside the coin door, pull the top one out.

Yep, what tracelifter said... coin door open=no voltage to coils and flashers.....

#49 10 years ago

ahh the door open makes sense, because they have an anti-Electric chair feature. What I love about this game is the oodles of stuff, its so complicated I love it. Cant wait to unlock the goods.

About the couch, it was fixed. As it seems the solenoid will slowly kick & bend the stopper each time. (got couch Multiball 3 times I may also try bending the tab that's in front of the plunger so it doesn't fall out of alignment which is the problem for me. This is pretty flimsy metal to put a solenoid on, I was able to bend it with almost no energy. Part of me is happy I got a lemon. Even if I was ripped off, learning is good when I have great teachers like you guys.

#50 10 years ago

ahh the door open makes sense, because they have an anti-Electric chair feature. What I love about this game is the oodles of stuff, its so complicated I love it. Cant wait to unlock the goods.
About the couch, it was fixed. As it seems the solenoid will slowly kick & bend the stopper each time. (got couch Multiball 3 times I may also try bending the tab that's in front of the plunger so it doesn't fall out of alignment which is the problem for me. This is pretty flimsy metal to put a solenoid on, I was able to bend it with almost no energy. Part of me is happy I got a lemon. Even if I was ripped off, learning is good when I have great teachers like you guys.

The nice thing is that even if you felt like you paid too much, you aren't currently pouring a bunch of money into it to make it work. So far, it has been pretty easy/small stuff. I wouldn't call it a lemon, I would just call it overstated

Glad to see you go it going, it is my favorite game of all-time, it is just insanely ridiculous trying to get through it, but the journey sure is fun!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 45.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 218.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-bad-flippers-garage-door and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.