Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by alveolus
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1565 (resized).JPG

#1 1 year ago

Hey everyone. Big day for me!
Here's a little background. If you're in a hurry....or just don't care....just skip the next two paragraphs.

From 2003-2007, I owned & ran a sportsbar/restaurant/live music venue in Central Florida. Don't go looking for it....it's a Chinese buffet now! I had a profit sharing arrangement with a coin-op distributor/operator in the area, and he outfitted my bar with a digital jukebox, bar-top 'Megatouch' games (those things were like digital crack-cocaine for some of my regulars in the age immediately preceding smartphones and apps!), pool tables, cigarette machine, and a few video games. My ONE AND ONLY DEMAND of him when we came to an agreement was that he bring in a Simpsons Pinball Party, which was brand new at the time. I had recently played one at a Florida Turnpike rest area (of all places!) and instantly fell in love with it! He made good on his promise, and I can clearly remember the day in early 2004 when he delivered the game. It was brand new, and I remember being really impressed with how intricate and complicated everything 'under the hood' looked.....and I watched in amazement as they put it on its legs and set it up. This was my first exposure to pinball as anything more than the occasional kid player at the local arcade in the 80s. I played that TSPP every day for years! Tuesdays were my favorite day of the week because the coin-op guy would come to empty the coin boxes, and he would always leave me 10 free credits on TSPP. It was in that bar, on that game, that I started to learn that pinball has rules....that it's not JUST about keeping the ball from draining. And what a complex game to learn that lesson on! Right?

To sum it all up....I loved that game dearly. In July of 2007 I closed down the bar. It was not an easy decision, but I was starting to feel burned out, and looking back, I got out riiiight at the perfect time, before things started to get real bad with the economy. A few weeks ago marked 10 years since the bar closed. Ever since then, I have always told myself that one day, I would own a TSPP of my own. TODAY IS THE DAY! It should be delivered in a few hours. It's not the first pinball I have bought, but it's the most special to me, personally! By far.

SO......I'm just looking for a little advice about my new baby. It just got a full LED upgrade by the guys I bought it from. They also put new Cliffys on the 3 ramps and shooter eject. I am going to install an OCD-LED board, and the ColorDMD LCD screen today.

HERE IS MY QUESTION: Are there any MUST-HAVE mods/upgrades/protection that I am forgetting?

Thanks in advance for any help / advice! You people are the best pinball resource out there!

#2 1 year ago

Depending on your machine, you might want to install the Couch Weld Fix.

Part: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1893

(Way too much) info: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ever-wonder-what-the-tspp-was-and-what-problem-it-fixed

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

Hey everyone. Big day for me!
Here's a little background. If you're in a hurry....or just don't care....just skip the next two paragraphs.
From 2003-2007, I owned & ran a sportsbar/restaurant/live music venue in Central Florida. Don't go looking for it....it's a Chinese buffet now! I had a profit sharing arrangement with a coin-op distributor/operator in the area, and he outfitted my bar with a digital jukebox, bar-top 'Megatouch' games (those things were like digital crack-cocaine for some of my regulars in the age immediately preceding smartphones and apps!), pool tables, cigarette machine, and a few video games. My ONE AND ONLY DEMAND of him when we came to an agreement was that he bring in a Simpsons Pinball Party, which was brand new at the time. I had recently played one at a Florida Turnpike rest area (of all places!) and instantly fell in love with it! He made good on his promise, and I can clearly remember the day in early 2004 when he delivered the game. It was brand new, and I remember being really impressed with how intricate and complicated everything 'under the hood' looked.....and I watched in amazement as they put it on its legs and set it up. This was my first exposure to pinball as anything more than the occasional kid player at the local arcade in the 80s. I played that TSPP every day for years! Tuesdays were my favorite day of the week because the coin-op guy would come to empty the coin boxes, and he would always leave me 10 free credits on TSPP. It was in that bar, on that game, that I started to learn that pinball has rules....that it's not JUST about keeping the ball from draining. And what a complex game to learn that lesson on! Right?
To sum it all up....I loved that game dearly. In July of 2007 I closed down the bar. It was not an easy decision, but I was starting to feel burned out, and looking back, I got out riiiight at the perfect time, before things started to get real bad with the economy. A few weeks ago marked 10 years since the bar closed. Ever since then, I have always told myself that one day, I would own a TSPP of my own. TODAY IS THE DAY! It should be delivered in a few hours. It's not the first pinball I have bought, but it's the most special to me, personally! By far.
SO......I'm just looking for a little advice about my new baby. It just got a full LED upgrade by the guys I bought it from. They also put new Cliffys on the 3 ramps and shooter eject. I am going to install an OCD-LED board, and the ColorDMD LCD screen today.
HERE IS MY QUESTION: Are there any MUST-HAVE mods/upgrades/protection that I am forgetting?
Thanks in advance for any help / advice! You people are the best pinball resource out there!

I thinks it's more of a personal choice in my opinion. I like the Duff beer mod personally but that's because I like beer lol. There is some here you can check out and buy.

mezelmods.com/collections/simpsons-pinball-party-pinball-mods

This thread has some good ideas too

pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/simpsons-party-pinball-mods

#4 1 year ago

I am going to install an OCD-LED board, and the ColorDMD LCD screen today.

Great decision on the ColorDMD, it looks amazing in TSPP and IMO adds a lot to the game.

#5 1 year ago

Thank you for your input!

Am I correct that the couch weld fix is really only necessary on units with earlier manufacture dates? I thought I remember reading that they eventually identified this problem and fixed it at the factory, at some point. No?

#6 1 year ago

A must have is NVRAM - get batteries off your board. $15-20 well spent. I've never understood people who avoid NVRAM (other than on games with clocks or where soldering is required). On TSPP an install of this should take you 30 seconds... tops.

Most of the other mods (other than LEDs) are quite tacky in my humble opinion and crowd the playfield. But I'm not a mod guy. The game is beautiful as designed. I know most people probably disagree strongly with this statement but to each their own.

#7 1 year ago

Thank you for your input!
Am I correct that the couch weld fix is really only necessary on units with earlier manufacture dates? I thought I remember reading that they eventually identified this problem and fixed it at the factory, at some point. No?

Mine was a later one and had a broken couch weld. So I'm not sure your statement is correct. I don't know if the factory fixed anything or if they just installed the weld fix by default? (Im asking not stating because I don't know...)

#8 1 year ago

The art package from sillyoldelf is pretty awesome and fits perfectly with the game's theme...the game really looks bare without it

#9 1 year ago

The Sparky Tv Itchy and Scratchy mod is a must have.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

A must have is NVRAM - get batteries off your board. $15-20 well spent. I've never understood people who avoid NVRAM (other than on games with clocks or where soldering is required). On TSPP an install of this should take you 30 seconds... tops.
Most of the other mods (other than LEDs) are quite tacky in my humble opinion and crowd the playfield. But I'm not a mod guy. The game is beautiful as designed. I know most people probably disagree strongly with this statement but to each their own.

Yes!! Totally forgot I ordered one of these too! Thank you for reminding me!!

I agree with you that a lot of the cosmetic mods look a little tacky. I gotta say that LEDs on this game make a HUGE difference. The stock incandescent GI was reeeeeally yellow and washed out all the vibrant colors of the playfield. When I first saw how they look now with LEDs...that's pretty much when I said to myself I NEED TO HAVE THIS NOW!!!!

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from bdaley6509:

The Sparky Tv Itchy and Scratchy mod is a must have.

I put one in my Ghostbusters, and I gotta say, it left something to be desired.

The frame rate is really bad.....looks like a slideshow of still images. :-/

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

Mine was a later one and had a broken couch weld. So I'm not sure your statement is correct. I don't know if the factory fixed anything or if they just installed the weld fix by default? (Im asking not stating because I don't know...)

Interesting. Good to know what I thought I read may not be true. I'll pay close attention to this area when my game arrives. Thank you!

#13 1 year ago

Yes!! Totally forgot I ordered one of these too! Thank you for reminding me!!
I agree with you that a lot of the cosmetic mods look a little tacky. I gotta say that LEDs on this game make a HUGE difference. The stock incandescent GI was reeeeeally yellow and washed out all the vibrant colors of the playfield. When I first saw how they look now with LEDs...that's pretty much when I said to myself I NEED TO HAVE THIS NOW!!!!

I agree on the LEDs they look amazing. I also think they are a must in the GI for all the usual reasons.

I will likely do an LED board one day (to maintain the fading effects!). Right now only my GI is led. I'd love to do the inserts too eventually.

#14 1 year ago

LED, LED-OCD, ColorDMD is all you need. Don't be that guy who zip ties shit all over the place

Sounds like you have just the right amount of mods.

If the game is HUO or super nice, get clear guards around the flipper buttons ASAP. Also, if the paint in the shooter lane is intact, put a little piece of mylar over it. If your center ramp, (the one in the garage) is cracked, and they are often, get the cliffy. If it's not cracked, get the cliffy. If your I&S hole is good, get the clear protector, otherwise, get the cliffy.

I'm sure there is more, if I think of anything else I'll update.

You're lucky, lots of guys here have sentimental attachments to shitty games. You just happen to have a sentimental attachment to the best pinball game ever created.

#15 1 year ago

These from silly old elf are spot on.

IMG_1565 (resized).JPG

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from jalpert:

If the game is HUO or super nice, get clear guards around the flipper buttons ASAP. Also, if the paint in the shooter lane is intact, put a little piece of mylar over it.

Spot on! I picked up a HUO and installed my Pinball Shield on the game to protect the very delicate cab art. I also just finished a TSPP Nudie (clear shooter lane eject protector) which is in the marketplace.

Here is a link to my store:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1082-pin-mods

Congrats I love my TSPP. So much to do!

#18 1 year ago

The frame rate is really bad.....looks like a slideshow of still images.

No issues on the one I have installed. Great mod!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 218.00
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
PinBoss Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Kirkland, WA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
O'fallon, MO
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 279.95
$ 79.00
Machine - For Sale
Chesterfield , NJ
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 1,000.00
£ 80.00
Playfield - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
Machine - For Sale
Star, ID
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside