• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20181108_102220 (resized).jpg
20181106_182626 (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

Jump to post #11 and 12 for latest update.Thanks!

-New to me TSPP
-Bought with a disclose reset problem
-Bought with a non-disclose problem with DMD.

1-) Previous owner mentionned the reset problem.Only happened once in about 50 games since i got it.
Middle of a game and suddenly the game stopped,no more flipper or coils,lights were dimmed and the DMD is showing "open the coin door".Couldn t start another game so i open the coin door and the game goes into attract mode like when you turn on the game,DMD and lights are normal but i lost all settimgs and high scores.
This is my first "modern game" and thought that a "normal" reset would just send the game to attract mode without losing all my settings and scores...
Can someone explain what is happening an guide me to what i have to check to begin troubleshoothing this issue ?

2-)I'm losing the DMD sometimes for 2-3 minutes then it comes back on like normal.
When it does that the red LED on the DMD is solidly on, no flashing.Played a 30 minutes game without problems after it did it twice in the previous game.
Ribbon cable? If the red LED is on does that mean that i can rule out the power connector to the DMD ?
Thanks for any help and leads as to what to look for. It s really appeeciated!

#2 5 years ago

I would suggest start by unplugging the DMD first, try and isolate the problem.

#3 5 years ago

Thanks for taking time !
They are 2 different issues and are non related...i think!
When it did reset i never lost the DMD and when i loose DMD i can continue to play the same game without problems!

#4 5 years ago

losing scores is odd. First thing you want to do is validate your voltages. You could start with the 5v on the power board. Not sure if it has test points that you can use. There's lots of great information on site if you search. I found a thread here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-resetting-issues

Also low 5 volt can also affect your dmd. Good luck

Also - visually inspect your power board for issues. If you are comfortable you can also disconnect and pull out your board, again looking for visual queues on the back that would indicate something going on. Make sure you test voltages first (before you pull out anything) and be careful!

#6 5 years ago

Thanks guys!
Will do some tests this week and report back!

#7 5 years ago

The good news is i think i found the cause of my DMD issue.
That connector in the back of the DMD was so loose i could remove barely touching it!
Second good news is,incredibly,i had everything to repin and a new connector right in my stuff i bought 8 years ago for my first ever pin that i never got to do.
Also measured my 5 volts and it was at 5.057 in attract mode.

Question for the experts: can the +5v fluctuate while under load in gameplay and let s say, a 5 balls multiball is going
on and a lot of coils action ?

Pix of the DMD loose connector...

20181106_182626 (resized).jpg20181106_182626 (resized).jpg
Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#8 5 years ago

Yes it can, your switch's are running off the 5 Volts

#9 5 years ago

Ok.Display problem is back.As suggested,i checked voltages at the display power supply board.No +12vDC.
Removed the connector and measured right on the pin of CN2,no +12v DC.
Checked voltages at CN1 and everything is ok according to pinwiki 4.9.1
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sega/Stern_White_Star_Repair#Low_.2B5VDC_and_Game_Resets

The -100v reads at -91 but since the display is not working i think it's normal if you ckecked the pinwiki table...
Is the display power supply defect or am i missing something more the a couples of bolts and nuts?
I also reflowed all the pins on the displaypower supply board for good measure.2 had cracks.
5 hours of trouble shoothing and trying to understand schematics and how it works.
My head is spinning...Help!

#10 5 years ago

Can someone tell me where the +12v is coming from in this diagram ? CN2 pin 7.
Right top corner.

20181108_102220 (resized).jpg20181108_102220 (resized).jpg

#11 5 years ago

OK.Not really progress but...Must have read the Pinwiki on Whitestar boards by Stern 10 times but on the 11 th time i saw this...

''+12V on CN2-7 -- 20V is supplied at CN1-6 and is regulated down to +12V by VR1, a 7812.
Note: the voltage at this pin will be missing if the board isn't stuffed with the 7812. It is not known when Stern/Sega stopped stuffing this location.''

Of course,no VR1 on mine...

So,now,if everything is plug on the DMD the machine won't boot and LED 204 is flashing,nothing on the DMD.I unplugged the big DMD ribbon cable and 2 seconds later,the machine will boot and LED 204 is on and i can play a normal game but no DMD.If i replug the ribbon cable while a game is on,game continue but no DMD!
Like i said,not really progress but at least i'll look somewhere else then the power supply for the DMD...
Any ideas welcome!
Why would the ribbon cable when plug is keeping the machine from booting up?

#12 5 years ago

Learned that a B\W DMD is the same.So this morning ,took the TSPP DMD and plugged it in Demo man and it was working perfect.

So,back to why the machine won't boot with the 26 pins ribbon connector plug in the DMD controller.If removed, machine boot up and play great.I tried to swap both ribbon cables with Demo man but still the same.
Is this a''normal'' sign of defective DMD controller board ? Stern 520-5055-00
Every test i do bring me back to that board...Is there anymore test i can do to be sure the controller board is the culprit?
Anyone can fix those boards ? seems to be surface mount...
Also,will this board work in my TSPP ? https://ksarcade.net/rottendog-dmd-controller-w-rom-dmd004.html
Or do i need the Stern one? https://ksarcade.net/stern-dot-matrix-dmd-controller-w-display-rom-520-5055-03.html

Thanks for any help!

1 month later
#13 5 years ago

Solved.
I had 2 bad surface mount components on the dmd controller board,now repaired and working fine.
I also had a 5v connector problem that was causing occasionnal reset that became more obvious after i removed and reinstalled the boards,was now happenning 6-7 times in a row.

Somewhere during my troobleshoothing,i unplugged the ribbon cable at the dmd controller board and wasn't sure of pin1\red stripe side.So i looked in my manual and the drawing of the cable and board show red stripe on the left side BUT in reality,pin 1 is on right side(player position).When i friend came over to help me troobleshoot he tried reversing cable and we had the display back but with wrong infos.It was displaying audits while the game was in attract or even playing a game,no way to navigate through the menu.That's when i sent the boards to an expert.

Didn't solve it myself but learn a lot...
Sorry for not posting solution before.It should be mandatory to post solutions to the problems we came here for help when we find them...
Thanks to ChrisHibler for helping me and being such a great asset to the hobby!

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Andre:

I had 2 bad surface mount components on the dmd controller board,now repaired and working fine.

Which are?

#15 5 years ago

Wish i could tell you.I sent the board to our local board guy who repaired it.Tried to look at the board but hard to tell,maybe one i could identify...but wouldn't have a clue for the second one.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 16.00
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
Led
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods
Shooter rods
£ 70.00
Playfield - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
Decals
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
7,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fallston, MD
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wappingers Falls, NY
$ 218.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 45.00
Playfield - Decals
Gotfrogs
Decals
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-2-problems?hl=boat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.