Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Shadow_E
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

The Shadow in the GRG 008.JPG
The Shadow 030.JPG
The Shadow 014.JPG
1396023729209.jpg

#1 5 years ago

So I've owned a Shadow for several months. Granted, I haven't had hours upon hours to play, but I've got some decent time at the machine. Love the machine (a lot) but holy moly, I still suck at it. Curious to see how other folks fare. Anyone averaging 300M or more?

#2 5 years ago

I just got mine back together enough to test play, and I can already tell it's going to kick my ass! Still have some flakey switches to work on, so no scores good enough to beat factory defaults yet.

#3 5 years ago

Hey Carl, yes your crapola like me, I'm around 4-5M, that Mode scene lane is a killer to hit

#4 5 years ago

Shadow isn't an easy game. I still haven't beat the Final Battle, closest I've come is a handful of shots left. I top out around 1.5 billion, but a typical "good" game is probably only 900 million or so. Thing is, I can have a 30 million game right after that, and after that, it's definitely not the kind of game most people can just pwn at will.

A good part of it is how you're doing with your scene start shot, it's tight, and if you're not able to hit it pretty reliably it's tough to get too deep. But that's part of the beauty of the game, not only is it challenging, you can play it in different ways. Skip the scenes all together and try and rack up super vengeances instead!

#5 5 years ago

I suck at shadow as well...never got to final battle...my high score is around 1 billion...my 16 year old son has high score at 1.2

#6 5 years ago

Made it to final battle now once in the last month but did not finish. My friend was over a couple weeks ago and he almost beat it. He is much better at pinball then I am though.

Very fun but challenging game.

#7 5 years ago

That battlefield is also something I see as needing some practice to get the hang of, I can get 4 or 5 hits and then it drops off, but I've just begun to play it a few days ago.

How many hits can you guys get at best?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

That battlefield is also something I see as needing some practice to get the hang of, I can get 4 or 5 hits and then it drops off, but I've just begun to play it a few days ago.
How many hits can you guys get at best?

Battlefields definitely don't all play the same. I forget what the 4th level requires in hits now, but I've beaten that. 75? Not sure I did that in one try, probably at least a couple.

#9 5 years ago

I'm just glad I had a couple Shadows around here to play when they were new.

#10 5 years ago

I focus on Vengeance for scores. I tend to start modes more by chance on this one. That Khan saucer seems soooo easy to hit yet might as well be a moving target for me. Stay away from the Sanctum and your games should last longer.

#11 5 years ago

I don't have great scores on this for sure, but I've come a few shots away from beating final battle before. I suck at the mode start shot and frankly don't do that well most of the time once I start a mode. However, I've gotten good at hitting the ramps and flipping the diverters to keep the ball looping back and forth. Super vengeance is decent points and super fun. I could shoot the ramps and diverters all day (fun wise) on this game.

Tough game for sure, but even in my somewhat large collection, it has probably been my fav for a few years now.

#12 5 years ago

Hard game.

My scores rarely top 300m.

One of the best pins I've ever played.

#13 5 years ago

Just achieved my high score of over 1B this past weekend, but I have yet to reach the final battle. What previous poster said was true: one game could be 600M followed by a 30M stinker. I seem to average around 300M like OP. Brutal machine; physics and placement of objects seem to generate lots of drains. As my only machine, I can say I never really get tired of playing it, but is that a function of being a great machine or me only having one?

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from realroadrage:

Just achieved my high score of over 1B this past weekend, but I have yet to reach the final battle. What previous poster said was true: one game could be 600M followed by a 30M stinker. I seem to average around 300M like OP. Brutal machine; physics and placement of objects seem to generate lots of drains. As my only machine, I can say I never really get tired of playing it, but is that a function of being a great machine or me only having one?

LOL. I certainly don't average 300M. More like 175M. I still don't even dominate the high scores. It's comically embarassing.

#15 5 years ago

The Shadow is my favorite pin that I own, and I have put no kidding, 8k plays on it in the year ive owned it. My highest score was 1.9 bill, ive been to the final battle many many times, only to come up short by 1 or 2 remaining shots time and time again. My average score is around 500-700 mill, I play 3 ball on medium settings with outlanes at medium as well. Its a tough game to start out on, however I started out with a BSD, and put those besides eachother, bsd will kick my ass 3x as hard the shadow will.

#16 5 years ago

After continually reading about the Shadow's greatness, I was excited to finally get to play one the past couple weekends in the Silverball @ Asbury. I'm a fan now for sure. I think the best I could manage was around 700M, but like others have said, the 30M games were definitely mixed in.

Unfortunately the Sanctum wasn't working properly, and the drop target just stayed up the whole time. Definitely made the game even more brutal. Anyone in the Philly area got one that works they want to let me play? I'll bring the beer.

#17 5 years ago

This is why I had to ship my Shadow in from out of state, I know lots of people in CA with one, but no one who was at all interested in selling. Now that I have mine it's not going anywhere either. Obviously with my translite project I have an emotional attachment to it, but beyond that it's just such a great game, and not really like anything else.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead87:

The Shadow is my favorite pin that I own, and I have put no kidding, 8k plays on it in the year ive owned it. My highest score was 1.9 bill, ive been to the final battle many many times, only to come up short by 1 or 2 remaining shots time and time again. My average score is around 500-700 mill, I play 3 ball on medium settings with outlanes at medium as well. Its a tough game to start out on, however I started out with a BSD, and put those besides eachother, bsd will kick my ass 3x as hard The Shadow will.

Lol. Got just that, with BSD next to TS (second from left with Aurich's translite package) . Recognize that DM?

1396023729209.jpg
#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead87:

and I have put no kidding, 8k plays on it in the year ive owned it.

22 games per day for an entire year? That's crazy. Ball times aren't that long on Shadow, but is that like 2-3 hours per day?

#20 5 years ago

owned mine a few weeks not much playing time been busy at work but I am not bad at the loop shot the game says its impressed. LOL I am playing with a non working upper phurba diverter need to figure this problem out as it seems to be an integral part of the game

#21 5 years ago

I have mixed feelings about the game. Have only had one for about 6 months with limited play and not sure how I feel about the machine. I probably need to learn the rules better to fully enjoy.
My wall is staying up and in test mode comes up check switch 51, wall target, and e.r. target bad check switch and coil. Advice on how to proceed to get fixed?

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from realroadrage:

It is a great machine...my last DMD. Sold TZ, IJ HSII and others but The Shadow will always be with me.

#23 5 years ago

Yep..if you're stubborn player like me the shadow will probably stay the longest in your collection, because it's so damn hard to beat.

#24 5 years ago

Wow, yea that DM is still looking great Carl, and I do miss it for sure.

As far as how many games I play, it's really between my Gf and I, who is equally addicted to pinball as I am. We generally play about an hour to two hours a night during the week nights, weekends, we probably put a good 4 to 5 hours on a Sat, maybe 3-4 on Sundays. I'm picking up more games though, so the amount I play shadow has calmed down and has been split up between the others.

My Bsd has about 3k plays on it since I bought it, which is a drag seeing how it only had 638 original plays when I got it, and the only wear on that machine was done by me

#25 5 years ago

play feild wear is good if your the guy that put it there! LOL

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Battlefields definitely don't all play the same. I forget what the 4th level requires in hits now, but I've beaten that. 75? Not sure I did that in one try, probably at least a couple.

So after reading this thread I decided to play for nothing but battlefield. I got up to level 5 or 6 I think--took 110 hits to finish. After that I think I discovered a game bug, because the dmd was saying I needed 188 hits to open the battlefield.

Decided to play the game out (I did accumulate like 5 extra balls in the process), ended up with a GC score around 2.5 billion! Was 2 shots from finishing final battle too--that would have been huge.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Spraynard:

Was 2 shots from finishing final battle too--that would have been huge.

Um yeah, that would have tacked another billion on that score.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from t2:

I have mixed feelings undeout the game. Have only had one for about 6 months with limited Pacheco the d not sure how I feel about the machine. I probably need to learn the rules better to fully enjoy.
My wall is staying up and in test mode comes up check switch 51, wall target, and e.r. target bad check switch and coil. Advice on how to proceed to get fixed?

There are numerous possible reasons for that . Have you run switch test for the opto in the sanctum and solenoid test to check the wall? Results? That issue will definitely drag down enjoyment.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Spraynard:

So after reading this thread I decided to play for nothing but battlefield. I got up to level 5 or 6 I think--took 110 hits to finish. After that I think I discovered a game bug, because the dmd was saying I needed 188 hits to open the battlefield.
Decided to play the game out (I did accumulate like 5 extra balls in the process), ended up with a GC score around 2.5 billion! Was 2 shots from finishing final battle too--that would have been huge.

After the success of my first attempt at a battlefield strategy, I tried it again. This time, I put up 2.7B and completed final battle! Note that my previous high scores were around 1.5B. So the battlefield strategy is definitely useful for big points. Complete battlefield, collect extra ball/start mode, rinse and repeat. Definitely not wise to do in a tournament with no E.B., but fun at home!

#30 5 years ago

I SUCK at the battlefeild all i here is use the flippers. REALLY i am using the flippers i just suck!

#31 5 years ago

Hard as heck game, but I love it. I play it the most especially when I want a quick game!

#32 5 years ago

I've owned the Shadow 2-times and I Suck Terribly ,, So Bad I Hate the Pin .... My 1st TS went to Sealclubber
& my 2nd TS went to Secretsaver , he Traded me my Latest WH20 for it .. !! Score !!

The Shadow 014.JPG
The Shadow 030.JPG

The Shadow in the GRG 008.JPG
#33 5 years ago

Shadow is fun! I keep it on 5-ball to give myself a fighting chance to see the final battle. I've only made it there once by ball 3.

#34 5 years ago

Anyone try GI LED OCD in Shadow yet? Seems like a perfect candidate along with White Water and a few others with dimming effects.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Anyone try GI LED OCD in Shadow yet? Seems like a perfect candidate along with White Water and a few others with dimming effects.

Huh? What is that?

#36 5 years ago

Love my Shadow and it is a great game that I have found(along with BSD) has made me a better pinball player. I generally keep it on 5 ball(cause I want a fighting chance lol), but my 3 ball high score is around 800mil and my 5 ball high is 1.7bil.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Shadow doesn't do much dimming effects... maybe at the start of multiball but if it does it's not offensive.

I put one of Herg's GI boards in JM because that one dims the GI with every successful shot. It was bothersome before but now it's smooth and impressive - that board is a must have for certain titles with LED's.

#38 5 years ago

I always used to hate Shadow as I could never get a decent game on it. One shot slightly off the left ramp and it was straight down the middle or outlane.
Last week I borrowed a friends' Shadow so that i could host a tournament this weekend and for the first dozen or so practice games it was exactly the same, so I tried some different tactics.

Shooting for Vengence is too risky due to the standups guarding the left ramp being so close to the flippers that a missed shot is almost certain death.
Trying for Shadow multiball, easy enough to achieve but not worth huge amounts, likewise with Battlefield.
I tried the left orbit / shadow loop strategy as demonstrated by Bowen, but despite getting some decent scores around 1B, couldn't get much further and it doesn't progress towards Final Battle.

By far the best strategy I have found is concentrate on shooting for scenes, once a scene starts go back to Left Orbit/Shadow Loop. Yes it's a tight shot, but once you get it nailed the points flow, plus if you miss it's far enough away to allow you a chance of saving the ball.
I find that using this strategy you end up getting the other multiballs and battlefield just by the ball careering around, which then sets up Final Battle. I've reached FB twice in the last week and completed it once.
Another good scoring opportunity is the Secret Laugh Mode, although it does mean you've got an extra scene to complete before FB.

I've now managed to wipe all my friends scores off the high score table, with the best being 2.8B. Doubt he's going to lend me anything again.

#39 5 years ago

It is a tough game. You lose too many balls to the outlanes. I have mine set to award a free ball every 500 million which helps get you to the final battle.

#40 5 years ago

I suck at Shadow, as well as every other pinball machine too.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

Shooting for Vengence is too risky due to the standups guarding the left ramp being so close to the flippers that a missed shot is almost certain death.

That's true, but I still love shooting Super Vengeances, I can't help but light those rings, even when I shouldn't. That minor chord piano kicks in and the scene I was gunning for is forgotten, gotta hit the ramps!

#42 5 years ago

Damn good game TS is though. Just so nice to look at etc. and play.

STill hate those standup target bounces into the outlanes though.

#43 5 years ago

The only way I'm letting my Shadow go is if I find a better Shadow Absolutely love everything about this game. Even the times when it just kicked my ass and I think I've had enough, my hands somehow stops moving towards the off switch and goes back to the start button...then hits it 4x.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Machine - For Sale
Newland, NC
$ 13.00
Playfields
Lermods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside