• Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).JPG
panel-1013 (resized).png
The-Generic-STM32F103-Pinout-Diagram (resized).jpg
There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago

Hi,

yes, the Leds are driven by a STM32, with a 3.3 to 5V converter.
They are working in whitewood with the correct colors as expected, and also working well in MPF.
But activating the flipper impacts the led colors and seem to 'disconnect' them from the STM32, as if the data line was reacting.
The wire is less than 15 cm between the converter and the first led.
I'll give a try about the suggestions mentioned.
STM32's are on 2.0.x firmware, where there modifications in the recent firmwares about that ?
Could you confirm the gen2test python command to upgrade directly the opp firmware without having to put the serial interface ?

thanks again

#52 3 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

But activating the flipper impacts the led colors and seem to 'disconnect' them from the STM32, as if the data line was reacting.
The wire is less than 15 cm between the converter and the first led.
I'll give a try about the suggestions mentioned.

This might be cause by interference on the ground line by the flippers. Adding inverse diodes to flipper coils might help a bit if you do not have those at the moment. More importantly you probably want separate HV ground and LED/5V ground. Do not disconnect those grounds but connect them at the PSU instead of below the playfield. Shared ground is problematic for logic power and serial LEDs from my experience.

Jan

#53 3 years ago

I would want firmware version at least 2.0.1.0 or newer if using Neopixels. That insures all fade commands work properly and the clock stretching works on the SPI (which is used to drive the Neopixels). Is the wire that is driving the Neopixels being bundled with any other wires? (Especially wires that contain solenoid current?) I would avoid that. As Jan mentions, watch the ground for the Neopixels. Maybe take a look at this page and see if it is understandable:
https://openpinballproject.wordpress.com/2016/11/16/111521-why-is-it-so-hard-to-explain-grounding/

The idea is to have the Neopixel 5V source/ground as a separate island with only one small connection between other grounds (especially that pesky 24V ground).

#54 3 years ago

Indeed, I'm leaning to a GND interference.
I have diodes on the coils, but the ground are common with STM and 24V. I'm not sure about the meaning of inverse diodes ?
I'll isolate a specific ground for the leds.
the wire for the neopixels is surrounded by plenty of wires, but switches mostly, but the flipper coils are in the vicinity (around 20cm, so I may end by dedicating a STM solely for lights to avoid interference

do you confirm that I can upgrade the firmware through gen2test.py ? or maybe it's an old pre-STM32 leftover ?

then do I need to put back the serial interface for flashing the new firmware??

#55 3 years ago

Unfortunately I haven't written a bootloader for the STM32. Sorry about that. It is very low on my list of to do items. With the USB interface, it is a little bit of a pain in the butt. The upgrade is only available for the PSOC4200 processors. (I do have an STM32 bootloader for serial port devices, but it would be a good amount of work to get it to work with the USB.)

#56 3 years ago

Ok, so I've updated the STM32 with the serial. Was feasible but did no change anything in the actual behavior
Then I've modified the wires to have a separate GND but that was not better.
Finally, I've used a new STM32, totally separated , changed my config and bam worked without a glitch, even if it's in the same area.
I'm wondering if my 1st STM32 was just overloaded (2 coils wings (4 flippers + slingshots + drain) + switches on all remaining slots.
Anyway, it's now working as it should and stable.
Time to put some lights everywhere
One surprising thing : the led show is perfectly running in mpf monitor, however it has a different behavior in real.
as you can see in https://github.com/BENETNATH/mpf_dealers_choice I've got a attract mode lightshow that works perfectly well.

I'll do a video to explain it better.

#57 3 years ago

Here is the video:

#58 3 years ago

So only white is not working? Can you set debug: true to opp and attach a log with verbose logging?

Jan

#59 3 years ago

it seems it's not a white issue.
I've replaced FFFFFF by white and it's now working well.
The new issue is now when Adv_Bonus token reach >30 , all led lights go out even if the lightshow should continue..
I need to troubleshoot my code.

2 weeks later
#60 3 years ago

More progress, with help from MPF, OPP and cobra18 (thank you again!)
Yesterday, I managed to code the rules for bonus multiplier, and lights.
That was a real journey for a non-coder like me.
But now, we have a working bonus counter with leds, plus a working 1-9 rollover completion for double then triple bonus.
And we have a lightshow on attract mode, thanks to the GREAT showcreator for MPF.

Still a lot to do, and a lot of questions to ask, but that's going in the good direction!!

#61 3 years ago

Now that I have a correct logic, I can make more progress and fine-tuning on the classical rules.
I made a post to clarify all rules as I made some mistakes :
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/willimas-dealer-s-choice-some-rules-questions#post-6242143

1 week later
#62 2 years ago

All classical rules have now been coded and tested. That's really great.

I've spent a lot of time to code a way to switch between classic and modern rules, today's commit on the github shows how I'm dealing with that and it seems to be working now. https://github.com/BENETNATH/mpf_dealers_choice
I'll now code for modern rules !

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trying-to-revive-an-old-em-dealer-s-choice-with-opp-and-mpf/page/2?hl=jabdoa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.