Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by R8f1k
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I have the chance to get a Bally Spectrum play field complete with wiring. I know it is an odd game and tough to get in general, but if I already had a Bally cab and back box.....is it doable? I can source the boards pretty easy.....thoughts?

#2 4 years ago

I don't see why not. I have thought about doing something like this as well.

#3 4 years ago

What would you do for a backglass? Could be done. If you pass on the playfield, please let me know.

#5 4 years ago

A backbox wire harness for the board layout with double lamp driver boards and backbox flashers is probably hardest part I guess.

#6 4 years ago

Wiring harness, insert board, and transformer all be the hardest part.

Fun game though, wish I hadn't sold mine...

#7 4 years ago

Backglass will be really hard to find as bgresto doesn’t have the artwork.

#8 4 years ago

Interested to see how this goes, and I'm considering doing the same thing with a Haunted House playfield set I just acquired.... though I'm toying around with a few different ideas too.

-Hans

#9 4 years ago

I have an NOS backglass that I would consider selling.

#10 4 years ago

Do you already have the cabinet and head?

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Backglass will be really hard to find as bgresto doesn’t have the artwork.

That's strange

#12 4 years ago

I have the cabinet and head from an old Xenon.

#13 4 years ago

I’ve done this a few times. You’ll be fine.

The hardest part is finding a donor cab with head wiring. Making and Wiring up the insert panel isn’t hard if you have one you can borrow. I made one for my unparted getaway and need to make another one for stern ALI

Sounds like a fun project!

#14 4 years ago

I need one other old Bally that has more parts just to expedite the process.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from R8f1k:

I have the cabinet and head from an old Xenon.

Xenon has a different backbox than Spectrum.

#16 4 years ago

As a former owner I will tell you that the most striking thing about the game is the gorgeous silver reflective backglass. Get that nice NOS one above. No repros will do the original justice (I don't believe BGResto can even do reflective)

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

(I don't believe BGResto can even do reflective)

Bgresto doesn’t have the artwork. You are correct that he can’t do mirroring.

#18 4 years ago

Does anyone know that if Xenon has a different head, then which titles share that size?

#19 4 years ago

Fathom, Medusa, Centaur, Elektra – or cut an inch of the backbox depth on an earlier game.

#20 4 years ago

Cool! Will you post updates of the project here as well?

#21 4 years ago

Lmk if you want to look at mine
I mean spectrum *

#22 4 years ago

I have a Spectrum cabinet if you can use it, but only the cabinet, no head.

#23 4 years ago

Once you have the cabinet, backbox, backglass, and playfield you can build the rest. The manuals and schematics tell you how to wire it.

My question is why spend time recreating the absolute worst pin in modern history? It's one thing to come across one whole to add to your collection but IMHO, the effort is better spent on a better game like Kiss or 8-Ball.

#24 4 years ago

BigAl56, since your the man that was there, what’s your top games? And Spectrum is the worst?

#25 4 years ago

"It's one thing to come across one whole to add to your collection but IMHO, the effort is better spent on a better game like Kiss or 8-Ball."

LOL....now thats funny stuff!! Kiss and 8-Ball better games.........ha ha......

John

#26 4 years ago

Spectrum, or as we called it, Speculum... ,was by far the worst if you don't include Rapid Fire. Those 2 would be should be at the bottom of a Bally collectors list.

I prefer to rank games by play and/or art.

IMHO, Top 3 playing games:
1. Fathom
2. EB Deluxe
3. Xenon

Top Art games that played, MEH....
1. Lost World
2. Voltan
3. Kiss

With a special mention to Paragon which scores double bonus as being the best playing widebody with killer art by Paul Faris.

Oh, and the bottom five....
5. Spectrum
4. Rapid fire
3. Fireball II
2. Nitro Groundshaker
1. Mystic, Voltan, DollyParton, Harlem Globe Trotters, (all basically the same game).

#27 4 years ago

All personal opinion, but I've owned many Eight Ball games, and while the artwork is great I was never impressed with the layout and game play so they all went back out the door. Kiss, again great artwork and theme but the game play is very repetitive and those sounds.....ugh! I've owned a Kiss for nearly 20 years but again only for the artwork and the fact that it is KISS. If I had to make room in the Bally row it would be the first game to go and I'd find a backglass to hang on the wall. Spectrum in my opinion is a great under rated game that makes you stop and think about what shot to make next instead of just flipping the ball all over the place like you would with the other two games. Any game that is slightly out of the ordinary always gets a bad rap and especially if people have to actually think and learn how to play something that's a little different then what there used too. My next playfield swap will be the Spectrum, followed by the Fathom, and I'll keep them right side by side just to drive people crazy.......LOL.
John
PS., I used to own a Rapid Fire and LOVED it for years but rolling it over got to be too easy and eventually I did let it go but I still like the game. Again, a little different and people put it down.

#28 4 years ago

LIONMAN!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 7.50
Cabinet - Decals
J and D Arcade

$ 5,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trying-to-piece-together-a-bally-spectrum?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.