(Topic ID: 262532)

Trying to get my new Williams Blackout working! System 6

By OttawaPinballBuy

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_20200222_001847 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200222_001854 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200222_001821 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200222_001811 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

So I just purchased a blackout machine. It was said to be 'in need of TLC'. So wiggled some connectors checked a few things and proceeded to turn it on.
    The MPU light flashes once and turns off no sounds are coming from the machine but when I press the flippers they both are working so I do not think its a power supply problem. Only half of the display numbers light up. Heres some pictures! I am wondering if I should use a board repair service or is there hope to me unplugging driver board / MPU and plugging it back in? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am really new to this hobby..

Flippers work it lights up. Seems like maybe its a connector I really dont know. It also is really hot near the bottom right of driver board and emitting a hot smell when I left it on for 1 minute. Looks like that might be the culprit but what does that mean? I was considering just replacing that board and trying again?

THANKS GUYS/GALZ!

IMG_20200222_001811 (resized).jpgIMG_20200222_001811 (resized).jpgIMG_20200222_001821 (resized).jpgIMG_20200222_001821 (resized).jpgIMG_20200222_001847 (resized).jpgIMG_20200222_001847 (resized).jpgIMG_20200222_001854 (resized).jpgIMG_20200222_001854 (resized).jpg
    #2 4 years ago

Also to ADD I thought considering its being powered through all the way to the flippers and they are working even when pressing both together its either a problem with the driver / mpu or a connector within the game on those boards. Thanks !

#3 4 years ago

Head over to www.maaca.org and send the boards out to ToMMy. You have acid damage at the battery holder and maybe elsewhere

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #4 4 years ago

I bought a non-working (AKA: 'It worked when I shut it off.') Sys 3 (similar to Sys 6). Man, that was truly a bear to work on. Acid damage, bad transistors, replaced every connector, IC's, relay, caps, added the fuses between the transformer and bridges...the list just kept growing and wouldn't stop. Even replaced the displays with a LED version since new display driver chips were expensive. Really wore me down.

Here's a good read to help you out: http://flippers.info/system6resources.asp

#5 4 years ago

Take the batteries completely out and wait a couple minutes. Turn it on and you should get some numbers in the credit/ball in play display. If you don't it's not booting. What the LEDs are doing is irrelevant, they really only come into play when you press the diagnostic button, which does nothing if the game doesn't boot.

If the game isn't booting, it's also not pulsing the lamps properly, and those resistors you noticed getting hot will get REALLY hot since they normally have 18 volts pulsing through them short enough to provide about 6 volts.... with the software not running, they're dropping the full 18 volts.

You can remove the lamp fuse while you're troubleshooting so this doesn't happen.

Ignore the flippers being on telling you anything about the power supply being good. It's actually telling you that something is really amiss, because flippers shouldn't be on in game over mode. (Maybe you'll get lucky, and the game is actually in audit mode, just with messed up displays) And all it tells you is that the solenoid voltage is good. (While you're at it, remove the solenoid fuse as well, to prevent further damage.)

Fixing system 6 boards isn't that difficult, but don't zip in there thinking you're going to make this magically work with some poking and prodding - you have to really go through each board starting with the power chain and get each solid before going farther. The corrosion someone else spotted on your MPU isn't going to help either. Start with the power supply then work over to the mpu/driver board (have to fix that as a unit because the stock software won't boot with the driver board disconnected..... if you can get a hold of test chips either Leon's or the pincoder.ca ones all the better).

Pinwiki isn't really complete in this area but it is a good start. Probably the bulletproofing vid1900 thread would be a good read as well. Those hammered resistors on your driver board will need to be replaced with either higher wattage versions or the mosfet mod, but worry about that stuff later, get the boards booting first.

#6 4 years ago

The fact your displays are "trying" to load something is a hopeful sign, but I agree you have your work cut out for you. If you want to shoot for a quick motivating minor victory, sure, it normally does not hurt to carefully reseat all the connectors, including removing the driver board and reseating it. HOWEVER, those connectors have limited cycle times and known failure points, and if the game "comes to life" after doing that, there is NO guarantee it will stay alive. In fact, you can be assured it is merely an indicator some serious work will be required, like what slochar mentioned above. It's a rite of passage with old System 6 games.

The good news is if you are reasonably skilled and willing to take the time to learn and invest in a few tools, System 6 is a great platform to learn with in that it's a bit more forgiving when it comes to removing components and building your skills (unlike Sys11 and later, which you shouldn't even think about if you've never done it before). But you will need to take your time and do research.

Get a power supply rebuild kit for $10-20 and practice on that. Sure beats spending $80+ on a new supply, and they're actually pretty easy. After that, you can consider what lies ahead.

If you're not able to do tackle board work, you can find reputable techs here, or an aftermarket combo board such as the Rottendog 327. An aftermarket board is about $300 or so. Depending on the depth of work required, a paid tech rebuild could approach that... or maybe only a few bucks. Hard to say up front.

Blackout has a great layout and interesting sounds so it's worth the effort...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trying-to-get-my-new-williams-blackout-working-system-6?hl=ottawapinballbuy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.