You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1143 (resized).jpeg
Gottlieb Flying-Carpet (resized).jpg
flying_carpet_MB1 (resized).jpg
#1 9 years ago

Looking for Flying Carpet owners who would like to see a silk screened glass get done for this title. This would happen with Ron Webb if I can get enough people signed on. Please send me a PM if interested. TIA

#2 9 years ago

I'm tentatively interested. Any rough idea what Ron Webb charges for a repro?

#3 9 years ago

Here is a link to his site, buddy... so you can get a general idea of his prices.

http://pinballglass.homestead.com/

#4 9 years ago

Definitely interested, please add me to the list.

#6 9 years ago

If Ron Web does one I`m interested.

#7 9 years ago

Why not just use BG resto?!

#8 9 years ago

I have several Ron Webb glasses and they are beautiful. For the price they are a very good deal.

#9 9 years ago

they are if you can get them.. but you can have a bgresto in 6 weeks at 2/3 of the price.

#10 9 years ago

Yes, however some of the colors are not accurate. Comparing it to my original glass and photos of others on the net, some are just wrong. Nice to have a replacement for a badly flaking glass, however I'd prefer a nice Webb reproduction instead. The Shay and Webb glasses maybe more expensive, however the quality of their glass is always top notch. I appreciate BGresto and have used their services more than once, however where there is a choice I'd choose a screened glass over their product. Just my opinion of course.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Yes, however some of the colors are not accurate. Comparing it to my original glass and photos of others on the net, some are just wrong. Nice to have a replacement for a badly flaking glass, however I'd prefer a nice Webb reproduction instead. The Shay and Webb glasses maybe more expensive, however the quality of their glass is always top notch. I appreciate BGresto and have used their services more than once, however where there is a choice I'd choose a screened glass over their product. Just my opinion of course.

Fair enough but Ron will not meet overseas orders and even with a US address resending backglasses is fraught with handling issues.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

I am domestic so my 1st choice would be a screened backglass - Shay or Webb.

But, one thing I wanted to point out is even a Shay or Webb backglass can have a color that is not quite the same (lighter, darker, wrong, etc.) as an original in one of their runs. It might also have something missing that the original had. Someone recently said El Dorado had too much light coming through the area of the backglass where the score reel bulbs are. I imagine they try to correct any problems they encounter.

Also, some compare the repro's they have which are faded and the colors have changed due to UV damage. It's pretty hard to compare that to a screened reproduction.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

Fair enough but Ron will not meet overseas orders and even with a US address resending backglasses is fraught with handling issues.

Yes, this is true. However I have a friend in the USA, that helps me out with that issue.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

I am domestic so my 1st choice would be a screened backglass - Shay or Webb.
But, one thing I wanted to point out is even a Shay or Webb backglass can have a color that is not quite the same (lighter, darker, wrong, etc.) as an original in one of their runs. It might also have something missing that the original had. Someone recently said El Dorado had too much light coming through the area of the backglass where the score reel bulbs are. I imagine they try to correct any problems they encounter.
Also, some compare the repro's they have which are faded and the colors have changed due to UV damage. It's pretty hard to compare that to a screened reproduction.

I agree there can be some slight differences, however the Flying Carpet backglass I received from BGresto, some of the colors differ significantly from the original. I am not referring to color changing issues over time or UV damage.

I am more than happy with services that BGresto offer and I'm pleased to have a nice glass for my game. However if the opportunity arose to buy a Webb or Shay repro for this game, I would buy it without hesitation.

#15 9 years ago

If there are colors issues with a BGresto glass, just tell steve. he'll fix it. that's the beauty of his service, he does these one at a time. and if there's a change needed, it's immediate.

#16 9 years ago

I'll take one.

#17 9 years ago

Got my game up and running, and am really digging it! 90% sure I'm in for a backglass.

#18 9 years ago

I am interested.

#19 9 years ago

I know people who have gotten a Shay glass and the colors on it were "wrong" too.

Repros are only as good as the glass they are modeled on.

Since bgresto works off an original glass, I'm pretty sure they are pretty darned close on the colors, too.

7 years later
#20 1 year ago

Did this ever happen? I need a backglass for my Gottlieb Flying Carpet too.

flying_carpet_MB1 (resized).jpgflying_carpet_MB1 (resized).jpg
#21 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkB452:

Yes, but not by Ron Webb.

http://bgresto.com/?p=220

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkB452:

[quoted image]

Ron Webb said in the past he would need a minimum of 12 people that pay in advance for him to do a run. I had him do a run of Sing Along. It took me 6 months - 9 months to acquire the names and get the backglasses made. He has to get permission from Mondial (Gottlieb rights), make a sample glass and give to them just to get approved. You would have to contact him (Shay if not Ron) to see if they would even do it though.

#23 1 year ago

Here's another option, better than BGresto and shows up in like 3 weeks

https://www.coos.net/bingo_e/Backglasses.html

#24 1 year ago

Coos does make this repro, obtainable a a backglass or a film

Gottlieb Flying-Carpet (resized).jpgGottlieb Flying-Carpet (resized).jpg
#25 1 year ago

If anybody doesnt know what a backglass 'film' is or what it looks like, let me know and I'll put a picture up of a WMS Heatwave film that I'll be fitting sometime this year. I can honestly say that the quality is pretty good and not too difficult to fit ( he used to have a video on how to fit one on his website so see if it's still there)

1 year later
#26 3 months ago
Quoted from bingobeast:

Coos does make this repro, obtainable a a backglass or a film
[quoted image]

Thanks everyone in this thread for the leads. Just acquired a real nice Flying Carpet, with a decent backglass. However, would still like to replace (including the playfield plastics, which seem to be a challenge to find). These resources are a huge help!

Gary

2 weeks later
#27 79 days ago

Quick follow up: Huge thank you to everyone who reached out to me here and helped me obtain this amazing better-than-new back glass which was just delivered! With my first (mostly restored) EM arriving on Monday, this will just about complete it. You guys are awesome!

Gary

IMG_1143 (resized).jpegIMG_1143 (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 51.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trying-to-get-a-gottliebs-flying-carpet-backglass-reproduced and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.