Trying to fix a flasher on Stern Spike

By dimthedaylights

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hey all so im going crazy here, new to the spike system and i had a flasher on a left scoop on ghostbusters pro that would not light. Here is what ive done so far:
1. Removed the flasher and plugged it into another flasher to verify the flasher works.
2. Unplugged most of the cables and replugged in.

Now with the flasher back where it goes it turns on faintly when the game boots and stays on, It will flash when its supposed to but its very faint.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

#2 3 years ago

Morning bump

#3 3 years ago

In the last few months, I've experienced some issues with the new Molex connectors and crimp pins inside them. The issues I've seen has been that the crimp pins either not securing inside connector housing and being pushed out or the crimp pin not seating properly against the header pin on the board. These can be difficult to diagnose. This sounds like it could be a similar issue.

I'd peek at connector CN2 on Node 8D. With the playfield in vertical position, this board is in the lower left hand corner of the bottom of the playfield. The pins I'd specifically look at are pins 7,8 and 9.

Pins 8 and 9 (red wires) are your power source and both should be +5 VDC. Are you handy with a DMM?

Pin 7 (yellow-brown wire) is your return wire to the transistor that drives the flasher.

Check those wires on that connector with a wiggle and a slight pull and report back. We can get more technical after, if needed.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

In the last few months, I've experienced some issues with the new Molex connectors and crimp pins inside them. The issues I've seen has been that the crimp pins either not securing inside connector housing and being pushed out or the crimp pin not seating properly against the header pin on the board. These can be difficult to diagnose. This sounds like it could be a similar issue.
I'd peek at connector CN2 on Node 8D. With the playfield in vertical position, this board is in the lower left hand corner of the bottom of the playfield. The pins I'd specifically look at are pins 7,8 and 9.
Pins 8 and 9 (red wires) are your power source and both should be +5 VDC. Are you handy with a DMM?
Pin 7 (yellow-brown wire) is your return wire to the transistor that drives the flasher.
Check those wires on that connector with a wiggle and a slight pull and report back. We can get more technical after, if needed.

Perfect very detailed awesome response so i tried that and no change the flasher is still subtly (always) lit (not sure if its supposed to be). And flashes ever so faintly in the flasher diag

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from dimthedaylights:

Perfect very detailed awesome response so i tried that and no change the flasher is still subtly (always) lit (not sure if its supposed to be). And flashes ever so faintly in the flasher diag

Sounds like you have a grounding issue somewhere.

If you have alligator clips and a 9v battery, you can disconnect the flasher and test it. What kind of flasher is it, bulb or light board? Sounds like a bulb since you said you switched it. Could also be a bad socket.

What happens if you unplug the flasher connector and plug it into another Flasher connection? Same result?

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Sounds like you have a grounding issue somewhere.
If you have alligator clips and a 9v battery, you can disconnect the flasher and test it. What kind of flasher is it, bulb or light board? Sounds like a bulb since you said you switched it. Could also be a bad socket.
What happens if you unplug the flasher connector and plug it into another Flasher connection? Same result?

Per the manual, the part number is to a flasher light board. Definitely sounds like it's grounding somewhere. Maybe an issue with that particular flasher light board or a hardware issue on Node 8D.

#7 3 years ago

so I 1. Removed the flasher and plugged it into another flasher to verify the flasher works. Its a flasher board and works in a different postion

#8 3 years ago

so I 1. Removed the flasher and plugged it into another flasher to verify the flasher works. Its a flasher board and works in a different postion

If your wires going from that flasher board are not pinched in any way or grounding out to something then it's probably a crappy mosfet or tip on the node board. You can easily swap the node board under the game there are two that match, you just have to re dip switch them, you can verify the node numbers and part numbers on the quick chart that comes with the game the chart will show the dip settings as well. Do with game off obviously- see if problem moves.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

If your wires going from that flasher board are not pinched in any way or grounding out to something then it's probably a crappy mosfet or tip on the node board. You can easily swap the node board under the game there are two that match, you just have to re dip switch them, you can verify the node numbers and part numbers on the quick chart that comes with the game the chart will show the dip settings as well. Do with game off obviously- see if problem moves.

Fidel, that game only has one "8D" node board. It's not a simple as swapping a Node "8" with a Node "9". 8D is a completely different part number.

#10 3 years ago

worth noting this macine does have some of the mezel mods, but its been done in pristine fashion and doesn't appear to run through those boreds

#11 3 years ago

worth noting this macine does have some of the mezel mods, but its been done in pristine fashion and doesn't appear to run through those boreds

Which ones? Anything attached to a flasher? It could be a diode issue due to an improper hook up. I recently fixed some ghosting I had on my LOTR despite the LEDOCD board. It turned out that the mod wires were connected improperly.

#12 3 years ago

not super familiar but heres what i know, light coop mod, walking stay puft mod and storage facility light mod, I think thats it but none of those seem to be in the same wiring as this flasher

#13 3 years ago

LOL
I thought he shaved his beard a couple of months ago

#14 3 years ago

That flasher was notorious for shorting to the scoop I think. Take the plastic off or isolate the socket and test again if you haven’t.

#15 3 years ago

yeah so i just checked that pulled the flasher out and it does have the mylar piece over the solder spots

#16 3 years ago

I had to get a new board from stern for my flasher when it went out for my Deadpool. You just might be SOL as well

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from DK:

I had to get a new board from stern for my flasher when it went out for my Deadpool. You just might be SOL as well

anyway to test this or verify which board i would need or use a meter to test that way i can try to hit up there support for the proper board? is it the SERIAL 16 LED BOARD?

Apologies again for my ignorance first spike system i own lol

#18 3 years ago

anyway to test this or verify which board i would need or use a meter to test that way i can try to hit up there support for the proper board? is it the SERIAL 16 LED BOARD?
Apologies again for my ignorance first spike system i own lol

I contacted Stern and went thru the steps to confirm that it was the board. They know their stuff there in the diagnostics dept (no sarcasm).

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

Fidel, that game only has one "8D" node board. It's not a simple as swapping a Node "8" with a Node "9". 8D is a completely different part number.

I did this on a premium Ghostbusters, I think it had two of the same node board part numbers, I DID suggest he verify

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from DK:

LOL
I thought he shaved his beard a couple of months ago

Beard is back babeeeee

#21 3 years ago

I had the same issue. It’s the node board
Got a replacement fixed immediately

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from joefox22:

I had the same issue. It’s the node board
Got a replacement fixed immediately

this one?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-6831-01

also doesnt state compatible with pro so double chekcing

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

you are right, you can absolutely swap node eight and nine I just assumed the flash lamp plugged into one of these, however the charts do indicate 8D is driven from node 8, swapping them could help but maybe done in vain. OP if you do decide to swap the two node boards just to see do not do so unless you're absolutely sure the wires are not pinched/shorted which according to other posters is a problem.

#24 3 years ago

this one?
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-6831-01
also doesnt state compatible with pro so double chekcing

That's the one!

2 weeks later
#25 3 years ago

Just wanted to button this up and thank everyone for the help, after finally receiving the board (FedEX lost it) this in fact did resolve my issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.95
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Alpharetta, GA
6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 103.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trying-to-fix-a-flasher-on-stern-spike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.