• 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by m00dawg
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sttng shop-out.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider m00dawg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I've been having some intermittent issues with the right canon where the machine still thinks there is a ball in it. I'll be grabbing up the new cabling (Bay Area seems to have them in stock), but I also noticed that the launcher doesn't retract about half the time. When it gets stuck, the machine thinks a ball is still in there and just goes nuts.

So I'd like to fix both. But the spring in question is out of stock at Bay Area. Anyone know where else I can find it (or if, perhaps, it's a standard spring I can find elsewhere)?

#3 10 years ago

In Googling and searching around Pinside, it sounds like it might be an issue with the cabling when it flips out. But the issue is, if the launcher doesn't retract, the game still thinks a ball is in it because the launcher interrupts the IR beam. I checked the wires and solder points and they look ok, though I need to check the diode as well, good call on that.

I'll probably buy new cabling either way, though.

As far as springs, I didn't really see anything that worked when looking at Lowe's (closest hardware store to me). Online, McMaster seems like they may have what I need. Surprised Bay Area doesn't have them but does have the upgraded cabling. *shrug*

EDIT: Actually I should say that I think there is something going on with the wires somewhere (solder joint or break in the wire) as the launcher does retract more often when it's actually firing a ball. It's just once the machine gets mad, it gets worse because the launcher is stuck out there confusing everything.

#5 10 years ago

Actually no I haven't done that. What should I be looking for? This will be the first thing I'll be working on involving coils (still a newb pinball owner). Any places to go read up on that sort of thing?

#7 10 years ago

It gets stuck I think in the full extended position. I just have to push on it very slightly to push it back in. It does feel like there is a little bump there, though - almost like maybe it went out too far or something?

#9 10 years ago

Cool deal, I'll give that a shot. Found the sleeve I needed so I'll order one. Need to get a few other parts anyway (thinking I ought to rebuild the flippers, among other things) so I have things to get other than an $0.85 sleeve

I'd love for it to work just through the weekend, so I'll at least clean it out in the meantime to see if it works good enough while I wait for the parts. If not, I guess I'll just have to disable it. We're having folks over and I'm sure STTNG will get some play, and I want it to be working as well as I can get it.

#12 10 years ago

Oh geez, Solder_Splash! It's looking good! I'd love to know what all you're going to be doing? I have some ball trails I was too scared to try and fix as it looked like they may have gone through the clearcoat. So I opted to clean and wax over them for now. They aren't bad - you have to really look to see them for the most part so I just try to keep it well cleaned and waxed until I can figure out what else to do. My playfield is in great shape otherwise though.

Rob, I thought about that coil...I wondered why they stopped using that one for the production runs? Is the higher power going to do any unnecessary wear on the parts and things? The flipper that likely needs some TLC is the top right since it's really tough to make it all the way up the Delta ramp. The bottom ones aren't bad though.

They are the ones that make me worried because when the ball flies right into one of the targets next to the Beta ramp, it's a pretty big hit to all that stuff. Am I just being paranoid?

#14 10 years ago

Ah these guys?

http://www.treasure-cove.net/index.htm

I'd love to know what all you did there! It looks quite lovely! I'm not that brave. Not yet, anyway. Maybe one day when I've gotten more used to working on machines.

#16 10 years ago

I can imagine. I took me quite a while to figure out just how to get enough parts off the top right quadrant to wax around the pop bumpers. I can't imagine taking /everything/ off the playfield. Sure does look nice, though!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider m00dawg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trying-to-find-an-sttng-canon-spring?tu=m00dawg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.