(Topic ID: 131765)

Trying to figure out what's going on here, with old polyurethane?

By tdiddy

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150820_213926.jpg
    20150820_213951.jpg
    20150820_213908.jpg
    20150820_213903.jpg
    20150820_213438.jpg
    20150628_152744.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

So I'm cleaning this playfield up for clear coating. But for what I can tell it's been cleared (shitty) already with something but if I rub hard enough it rolls up on itself? I'm guessing that it's polyurethane maybe? But either way this crap needs to come off. Anyone deal with this before and know a good way to deal with it

#3 8 years ago

It may be "polycrylic" Its a water based poly. The plus is that its crystal clear, the minus is durability. Not a good choice for a playfield. Is that a Xenon?

#4 8 years ago

Any idea what would happen if I clear over it? And it is xenon.

#5 8 years ago

You should not clear over clear that did not adhere correctly it will just peal again as you don't have anything to bond too

#6 8 years ago

That's what I figured, I read mek will take it off, but I don't know how the rest of the art will react to it

#7 8 years ago

Mek is heavy duty cleaner. I would try on a corner first, if you going to use it to see what happens. Make sure you wear gloves when using MEK. That stuff absorbs through your skin into your bloodstream.

#8 8 years ago

I wonder if you could freeze spray it like mylar and roll it off? It looks so wimpy.

I'd be afraid of trying mek on it. Don't warp the wood with a wet cleaner.

#9 8 years ago

I'll try the freeze spray first, now I'm kinda freaked out about the mek in the bloodstream thing

#10 8 years ago

Can you just roll it off? How about magic eraser? Nitrile gloves should protect your hands but you hate to use anything stronger than you have to.

#11 8 years ago

Looks like a good candidate for the flour method.

#12 8 years ago

If it is in fact polycrylic you can damp a rag in warm water and press it on the playfield flat. Let sit a few minutes and then try to remove. If its water based it will likely soften it up enough to remove easily and should not hurt anything under it. Key word here is damp, not soaking wet. If there are any bare wood areas you should stay away from them with water. Never start with aggresive chemicals, too much risk of damage to artwork.
    Good luck. I am getting ready to do an overlay on a xenon playfield. It will get all new inserts as well and a healthy coat of clear when its done.

My black knight has a very poor clear coat job on it that looks like poly. Its so bad I dont think they even attempted to clean the dust off it prior to putting on the poly.

#13 8 years ago

Basically it went like this. Mek was way to harsh, and freezing it did nothing. So I had to use 91% alcohol and magic eraser. The stuff would gum up on itself, then I could take my fingers and rub it back and forth. I had to do this multiple times but eventually I got through it. I ended up with a clean playfield and raw fingers. Now it's time for touch up

#14 8 years ago

AWESOME! great to hear.
    Wonder if wood alcohol thinner would have done the job better.
    Regardless; glad you save that PF.

1 month later
    #15 8 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Looks like a good candidate for the flour method.

What is "flour" method?
    Tx

1 week later
    #16 8 years ago
    1 week later
    #17 8 years ago

20150820_213438.jpg20150820_213438.jpg20150820_213903.jpg20150820_213903.jpg20150820_213908.jpg20150820_213908.jpg20150820_213951.jpg20150820_213951.jpg20150820_213926.jpg20150820_213926.jpg

Final product

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from tdiddy:

I'll try the freeze spray first, now I'm kinda freaked out about the mek in the bloodstream thing

What is Mek? Never heard of it before.

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from Warbound:

What is Mek? Never heard of it before.

Methyl ethyl ketone

#21 8 years ago

Dammnnnn dude, that looks GREAT!!! Nice work!

#23 8 years ago

You did not want to use that nervous system, did you?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trying-to-figure-out-whats-going-on-here-with-old-polyurethane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.