Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by JKnPA
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

I just don't know what it's called or the term for it. On some/most (?) EMs, there's a row of lights for 000-900

What are they termed/called? Just noticing on mine, they do light up, but don't ever activate/change, and unsure what should cause them to change/advance? I can't say I've ever seen the stepper in the back box activate. (wondering if this is part of my problems)

Even Google searching description of it, I'm not finding any info/name.

Thanks in advance!

Tim

#2 9 years ago

Are you referring to the Match numbers?

#3 9 years ago

I think you might be talking about "match" lights, i.e. match for a free game. Sound right?

#4 9 years ago

Has to be the match numbers.

#5 9 years ago

Ok, yes that is it! So when should the match unit normally trigger? I can't say I've seen the coil fire, nor seen the light change on the back box, unless I manually operate the match unit.

Tim

#6 9 years ago

I'm not familiar with z pins, but my guess is that it triggers when one of the other score reels does.

#7 9 years ago

Generally a 'Match Unit' is triggered by another relay. Sending it a signal to advance, one position. I do not know much regarding Zaccarai pins. Some one will chime in here, most likely on Monday. Has your pin a setting that shuts off the match feature? Like when it set to Add A Ball?

#8 9 years ago

Only option in the back is to be able to set it to add a ball, or replay mode. I'm going to assume that for it to work, it should be in add a ball mode.

I'll run the score up in add a ball mode and watch to see if it activates. I'm doubting that this is the source of my other troubles, but had thought if it is something that also gets reset on game over or ball drain, that it could potentially be one thing to make sure is working too.

Tim

#9 9 years ago

Match usually awards a replay at game over, so I'd guess it needs to be in replay mode, not add-a-ball. Add-a-ball mode is for areas where awarding replays wasn't allowed.

#10 9 years ago

Thanks! Game is currently in replay mode. I've forced a game over situation and the match light does light up, it does not change to a different light/number however, and on game reset and simulating a game over, the same match light comes on. (doesn't change)

Tim

#11 9 years ago

So would need to check the schematic and see what activates the match unit stepper coil.

#12 9 years ago

Could it be as simple as a sticky stepper unit?

#13 9 years ago

Most Z schematics can be found here:
    http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/em/index.html
    Just click on games & documentation.
    Try going to game over, see which match number is lit, and then step the match unit manually. The numbers should change.
    Either the stepper is not working or whatever fires it isn't. Usually it's whenever one or another of the pf features is hit. May be when a certain number of points are scored, or via the pops or some other feature. What game is it?

#14 9 years ago

Zaccaria Supersonic is the game. Schematic is not publicly available (like most others out there), I'll need to pony up the $25 to get a scanned copy.

Stepper unit not sticking, it was rather greasy but now cleaned, never see/hear the coil fire, so something tells me coil is bad or a relay isn't activating it. But could also be if it is certain score required to bump it up to next one, and I've just not recreated that situation yet.

Manually stepping it up does change the light at least.

Tim

#15 9 years ago

Could run a temporary jumper wire from one of the score reel coils over to the match unit stepper coil and at least see if it activates when that score reel advances. If not, then suspect the coil. If it does, then it's in the logic leading to it.

#16 9 years ago

On another Zaccaria machine the match unit coil is wired directly to the 1,000 point drum unit coil. There are set of contacts on the 1,000 points relay for the match unit that close with 1,000 points
    are scored.

So when a 1,000 points is scored either directly or from a 100 point rollover the match unit should increment.

This likely is the common way that Zaccaria match units are wired. Make sure your match unit coil
    is good and check contacts on the 1,000 point relay

#17 9 years ago

I have a Supersonic schematic. I've just looked at it. The match unit coil is fired by a pair of contacts on the 1000 point relay. Wire colours are Black/Orange and Yellow, according to the schematic. Check the 1000 point relay contacts, see if one is dirty or isn't closing.

#18 9 years ago

Awesome! Thanks guys! Will check the 1000 point relay and wiring, 1000 point score does increment fine. If it is the coil, I happen to have a NOS coil that I can replace it with at least.

Much appreciated

Tim

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from nagamitsu:

Awesome! Thanks guys! Will check the 1000 point relay and wiring, 1000 point score does increment fine. If it is the coil, I happen to have a NOS coil that I can replace it with at least.
    Much appreciated
    Tim

If all of the above checks out ok,,,,,,,,,,,,, then
    1. Check the resistance of the coil( lift wire to isolate coil).
    2. Check continuity to the coil ( may have an open wire, not likely though).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trying-to-figure-out-the-right-term-which-is-eluding-me and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.