Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

24B31669-3EE8-4F9C-B6BA-5C1FC5BFCE64 (resized).jpeg
50C7E04F-3391-4034-9645-5B3189665EBA (resized).png
sur (resized).jpg
batf (resized).jpg
bitmoji-20181006022630 (resized).png
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

To own a pinball machine I am one who needs to enjoy the theme otherwise it's tough for me to lay out that amount of money. With the crazy prices of used machines especially with popular themes it's hard not to go new. I currently own a Stern Kiss pro so I really don't want another music pin. So here are my choices Batman 66 premium and Star Wars Pro. Yes I have played both games about 20 times each but for some reason I can't get a good feel for either. Looking for depth and longevity in a small collection. People seem very divided on both titles. I love both themes. I would like to hear from owners/former owners of each the good and bad. First impressions of both Star Wars fast like GOT but is there much beyond that? Batman 66 cool theme but in the end boring shots. Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

BM66 is going to cost you much more but apparently is getting coded deeper than the Mariana Trench.

#3 5 years ago

Batman gets the nod.

I like Star Wars but it’s like GOT in that it has super deep code but there’s really only one way to play it. So you are paying for all the code you are never gonna play.

#4 5 years ago

I vote Batman 66.

#5 5 years ago

Batman.

#6 5 years ago

Man, this BM66 is sure getting more love than when I was called a sucker for buying one.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Man, this BM66 is sure getting more love than when I was called a sucker for buying one.

You were called a hypocrite, not a sucker, for your endless one-note whining about pinstalgia and then laying out $9,000 clams for a game based on a 50-year old show.

Plus the game kinda sucked back then but the code has slowly, slowly, slooooowly come a long way since then.

#8 5 years ago

I’ve owned BM66 for a few weeks and don’t see the deep code. Really fun, complete code but nothing that you will be digging into for years. SW if you want a shooter. BM66 for great theme integration.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:You were called a hypocrite, not a sucker, for your endless one-note whining about pinstalgia and then laying out $9,000 clams for a game based on a 50-year old show.

People on ludes should not buy pinball machines!

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I’ve owned BM66 for a few weeks and don’t see the deep code. Really fun, complete code but nothing that you will be digging into for years. SW if you want a shooter. BM66 for great theme integration.

I’m pretty good at batman. Lots of plus billion point games. I still haven’t seen all the modes/code and there’s still more coming.

Seems deep to me. I think people have gotten so carried away with their unrealistic code fantasies that they don’t know what deep code is anymore.

There’s games like pirates and there’s everything else. Up to you to decide what you think is fun.

#11 5 years ago

I bought BM66 because I saw the potential even with the most stripped down code. I liked the way it shot and the long open playfield. I didn't have the patience to play the code waiting game and got tired of looking at it every day.

However, it is still a game I'd rather play when going to my buddy's house that has all the newest Sterns lined up all in a row.

#12 5 years ago

I like both a lot, but I'd give the nod to SW. The game has more flow and is much more difficult. I find the ball times on Batman to be on the long side.

#13 5 years ago

If you're unsure on both, why are they your final two choices. I agree with you, I've played each, and wasn't captivated by either. As such, neither is on my wanted list. There are enough new machines coming out that I wouldn't sacrifice gameplay for a theme. Perhaps add a cheaper used game to hold you over until something new comes along.

#14 5 years ago

I have a Star Wars Premium and it is fantastic. If I had more cash, I would get BM66 to add to the collection. I would not hesitate suggesting the SW premium over the pro.

#15 5 years ago

I have both. Code on BM66 is better and deeper, plus it has fantastic license assets and great call outs. The crane, and bits on the turntable make a nice assortment of toys. BM 66's shots have a very Gomez feel and I think it plays a little slow. The code on SW is clever but I wouldn't call it deep, even though there all sorts of achievements if you are into that type of thing. The license assets are solid, though miles behind BM66, but the music is probably better. There obviously isn't much in the way of toys, the hyperloop is fun to shoot and visually a sight, but small screen is probably under utilized and the death star is fairly forgettable as a toy. The game plays quite fast and can feel a little punishing, particularly if it isn't dialed in.

They are about as different as you can get from the same company, so consider the type of game you'd like to own. I go through spells of playing one way more than the other, but if I had to choose one and cost wasn't a factor then I'd go for BM66 as well.

Either way, I think you'll be pleased. Good luck on your purchase.

#16 5 years ago

I would say batman 66.

#17 5 years ago

BM by a mile. SW is a stinker IMO.

#18 5 years ago

I like both also, but given the choice I bought SW pro and really like it. I would say I didn't want to spend the extra for BM as I'm kind of thrifty and have a hard justifying spending over $6,000 on another pin.

#19 5 years ago

I think the shots are way better on SW. I love playing both though. If I had to choose only one, I’d go Star Wars.

#20 5 years ago

Batman gets old quick. No purpose to it, just shoot whatever till you drain.

#21 5 years ago

Own both, B66 by a long shot.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Rasavage:

I have both. Code on BM66 is better and deeper, plus it has fantastic license assets and great call outs. The crane, and bits on the turntable make a nice assortment of toys. BM 66's shots have a very Gomez feel and I think it plays a little slow. The code on SW is clever but I wouldn't call it deep, even though there all sorts of achievements if you are into that type of thing. The license assets are solid, though miles behind BM66, but the music is probably better. There obviously isn't much in the way of toys, the hyperloop is fun to shoot and visually a sight, but small screen is probably under utilized and the death star is fairly forgettable as a toy. The game plays quite fast and can feel a little punishing, particularly if it isn't dialed in.
They are about as different as you can get from the same company, so consider the type of game you'd like to own. I go through spells of playing one way more than the other, but if I had to choose one and cost wasn't a factor then I'd go for BM66 as well.
Either way, I think you'll be pleased. Good luck on your purchase.

Thanks and great information. I enjoy a game like my Kiss pro where it’s tough to get big scores. The game can be brutal. When you have a big score you know you played a game of pinball.

#23 5 years ago

Owned both, still own SWPrem. SW shoots better than BM66 and it’s not really close. The depth of code is greater in BM, but the special moments in SW is greater. Theme integration is better in BM and it’s not close.

SW wins because the shots and layout alone keep me coming back for more better than most machines out there. Plus, plenty of modes to explore, fun to reach wizard mode, more adrenaline-pumping (compared to the Jazz music of BM66), and better toy/mechanism. Would be a no brainer for me.

#24 5 years ago

SW( premium) all the way and I don't even like the movies. Just a great light show and fun shooter.
A deep code is not always necessary nor good to make a pin great.
BM66 just is meh and should have been more than it is. By the time you might? reach a wizard mode they would have done another code update to try and save this game. Code will not make it better.

Unfortunately the people who voted BM66 did so so that they wouldn't lose money when they try and sell IMO. Sorry guys but that's the truth.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Owned both, still own SWPrem. SW shoots better than BM66 and it’s not really close. The depth of code is greater in BM, but the special moments in SW is greater. Theme integration is better in BM and it’s not close.
SW wins because the shots and layout alone keep me coming back for more better than most machines out there. Plus, plenty of modes to explore, fun to reach wizard mode, more adrenaline-pumping (compared to the Jazz music of BM66), and better toy/mechanism. Would be a no brainer for me.

I find B66 shots more satisfying and interesting than SW. Nothing wrong with how SW shoots - vintage Ritchie - but it’s very vanilla.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I find B66 shots more satisfying and interesting than SW. Nothing wrong with how SW shoots - vintage Ritchie - but it’s very vanilla.

The colossus shot on Deadpool is interesting but far from satisfying. SW shots are solid feeling and smooth, whereas BM shots to me you can almost feel the ball creating friction making unwanted feeling and sounds. Think of BM shot to penguin scoop or the rotisserie that doesn’t turn quick enough, and those ramps....woof

#27 5 years ago

Played both....own BM66LE....game is deep, fun, and just a great play...get the one you want, but BM by a mile for me.....

#28 5 years ago

BM66. So much fun and visually stunning.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Unfortunately the people who voted BM66 did so so that they wouldn't lose money when they try and sell IMO. Sorry guys but that's the truth.

Umm...nothing further from the truth...not selling, and love the game, way more than SW, and several titles I own....could care less what it's worth down the road....not the reason I buy pins.....

#30 5 years ago

SW( premium) all the way and I don't even like the movies. Just a great light show and fun shooter.
BM66 just is meh and should have been more than it is. By the time you might? reach a wizard mode they would have done another code update to try and save this game. Code will not make it better.

Completely disagree. I dont own bm66 and want one just based in all the videos I've seen. So I have no horse in the race and am saying bm66.

#31 5 years ago

Not even close, BM66 by a mile.

#32 5 years ago

Get a Phantom Menace.

#33 5 years ago

Own SWprem and played BM at different places and liked it but haven’t pulled the trigger on buying one just yet. Not sure why most people say SW isn’t deep in code but for me it’s just down right fun. The hyper space ramp feels so great when you hit it. The hyper space MB is pretty awesome when you see 2 or 3 balls flying around the loop. The sounds are great and the movie clips are cool if you’re a sw fan. It really doesn’t matter what pin you buy because you will end up buying another and another until you have no room left and then you have to decide which one goes on the chopping block, GL with your choice.

#34 5 years ago

It's a no contest in my eyes.

bitmoji-20181006022630 (resized).pngbitmoji-20181006022630 (resized).png
#35 5 years ago

Ah, pretty sure SW is not doing so well on the resale front.

#36 5 years ago

I, for one, voted BM and don't own BM.

P.s. Gilligan...great pin

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballRockDude:

Thanks and great information. I enjoy a game like my Kiss pro where it’s tough to get big scores. The game can be brutal. When you have a big score you know you played a game of pinball.

Ball of pinball. When you score big on kiss you know you’ve just had a great BALL of pinball. Haha. Jk

#38 5 years ago

BM66 in the home is incredible. Don’t believe the naysayers, it’s fantastic.

#39 5 years ago

Huge SW fan here but when it comes to pinball BM66 blows SW out the water!

#40 5 years ago

Thread needs poll

Well split, appears to be leaning more towards the Dynamic Duo

batf (resized).jpgbatf (resized).jpg
#41 5 years ago

I'd wait and see what this guy gets

sur (resized).jpgsur (resized).jpg
#42 5 years ago

Don’t forget there’s a lot of “legacy hate” for B66 due to the abysmal state of code when it was released combined with the arrogant way it was launched by Stern (application videos, SLE pricing, no pro model, non playable machine roped off at Expo). A lot of people made up their mind about this game early, and haven’t been able to change it since.

Do a customized Top 100 list for ratings only from the past 6 months:

50C7E04F-3391-4034-9645-5B3189665EBA (resized).png50C7E04F-3391-4034-9645-5B3189665EBA (resized).png

(For some reason the when you do the custom Top 100 it doesn’t group the different variations of the game, like MM and MMr for example. If it did B66 would be 8. Disclaimer: Guns and Roses at no.7?!?!?!? Maybe - haven’t spent a lot of time on it, but low number of ratings).

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballRockDude:

Yes I have played both games about 20 times each but for some reason I can't get a good feel for either

There have been 1000 different pinball titles made, choose another one.

As far as your question though, no comparison. BM66 every day of the week. Layout is clunky but Lyman saves the day with his genius code work. Best theme integration ever. Music totally suits the pin. Who thought that heavy metal Dave would be tapping his toes to Catwomans Jazzy tunes?

I can’t think of a worse Steve Ritchie game than SW. Such a fail. At least the pro plays better than the prem/LE. Shoot the Death Star! No, don’t! The forks won’t let you!

If you want something newer with good flow, better rules, and no U turn shot that’ll go SDTM 50% of the time, get a used Game of Thrones pro.

rd

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Batman gets the nod.
I like Star Wars but it’s like GOT in that it has super deep code but there’s really only one way to play it. So you are paying for all the code you are never gonna play.

Ellaborate? I just got Star Wars.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I honestly can’t think of one satisfying shot on BM66. Nothing feels all that smooth. I’ve never bought into Gomez games being clunky, but BM comes close. I like the game, but I’ve had some looooonnnnggggg games that just got stale. Never experienced that on LOTR, as an example of a long playing, deeply coded Gomez game.

There’s a lot to like about BM66, but the whole is smaller than the sum of its parts.

#46 5 years ago

I would go with a BDK, and a Star Wars Premium/LE

You will get the Crane(best toy in all of pinball) and the Hyperloop(one of the coolest features in pinball).

Star Wars kicks ass-I have no issues hitting fork ramp.

#47 5 years ago

BM66 is a great game - a little clunky though and ball times can be super long. Jack Danger streamed a single game of over and hour and didn't complete the game.

SW is more 'straight back at you' , on your toes kind of game.

SW multipliers add a ton of strategy but it is confusing at times.

Think it's a close decision.

#48 5 years ago

I do like Star Wars. However, BM 66. When it first came out. It looked cool. Played it, thought it was a mess of a adjusted re-themed idea with such limited code. I couldn’t see the vision of George and Lyman. It was just the Franchi art and the nostalgic theme. That appears all it would be and no code would work with the shot layout or the dynamics of the turn table. I started playing it more and more at 257 & Logan and with the newer code, it got me hooked. I now see the what they want this to be. This game will go down as one of the best in pinball history. I spent a lot of time and money playing it. I now own it.

#49 5 years ago

Similar games really - both were saved by really great deep code. Lots of modes and stuff to do. Both have great themes

Layout wise SW is much smoother fast and fun, BM is good but the turntable is super slow and clunky

Since you put it Bm vs SW pro, Id save a few grand and get SW, if it were SW prem it would be tough. Both are fun deep games

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I honestly can’t think of one satisfying shot on BM66. Nothing feels all that smooth. I’ve never bought into Gomez games being clunky, but BM comes close. I like the game, but I’ve had some looooonnnnggggg games that just got stale. Never experienced that on LOTR, as an example of a long playing, deeply coded Gomez game.
There’s a lot to like about BM66, but the whole is smaller than the sum of its parts.

For me (average player at best). BM66 ramps and right orbit move thing around very well. It's more of a shotmaker (turntable, targets, left orbit, crane) that combined w the theme is fantastic.

Games can be long on occasion, but still fun w the screen clips integrated. LOTR, on the other hand......turned it off twice before selling mine, as it seemed I was playing for days....just my take, obviously.

I just didn't like SW much at all...wanted to, but didn't do it for me.....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Altoona, PA
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trying-to-decide-on-second-pin-batman-or-star-wars?hl=mark66 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.