Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

24B31669-3EE8-4F9C-B6BA-5C1FC5BFCE64 (resized).jpeg
50C7E04F-3391-4034-9645-5B3189665EBA (resized).png
sur (resized).jpg
batf (resized).jpg
bitmoji-20181006022630 (resized).png
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago

Star Wars but it helps that I'm a huge fan of the original trilogy and didn't grow up watching the original Batman series. The original Batman show has always come across as a bit "old" to me and a less impressive version of what Batman became in future movies. If I grew up with the original Batman series I'm sure I would think completely different. It's great to see how much code attention Batman 66 has received, owners of the game deserve it.

From a gameplay and rules perspective I prefer Star Wars premium / LE. There are so many ways to approach the game as you get to not only select what character and abilities to use but also what planet and its modes / wizard mode you want to go after. As far as theme integration goes Star Wars is in the top 10 in my opinion thanks to licensed video, actor audio + actor video, and licensed music assets being in the game. The game also offers a very deep and rich objective based ruleset that thanks to the 4 mode quadrants can leave a player feeling like they accomplished something big by completing 1 of the 4 areas.

#52 5 years ago

Way I see it...

BM66 = Klunky, long ball times, and about $2k overpriced easy. Gameplay can get boring at times. However, the code, theme integration, and nostalgia make them game fantastic.

SW PRO = Fast, furious, and in your face. It is both brutal, yet fun; frustrating, but satisfying. Factory settings need some tweaking to lighten up on some of the endless multi balls that can occur. But the code is the definition of breadth with so many possibilities and quick easy progression.

While Lyman is one of the best in code, some of his rules can feel sluggish; like pushing a car through mud - so much time and effort to get deep into a game. The code in SW definitely needs a rinse of polish, and that is something you won't have to worry about with a Lyman coded game.

All in all; BM66 offers depth, SW offers breadth. SW to me keeps me coming back; not sure how well BM66 would do long term in a small collection.

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Ah, pretty sure SW is not doing so well on the resale front.

The games are actually on reverse trajectories. BM66 is one of the only modern games that is actually climbing in price despite a soft market. SW, on the other hand, seems to be dropping like a rock. For example, this guy can't sell his LE with only 75 plays for $7,300 (OBO) ...

Machine - For Sale
As new - New out of box (first owner) - “Star Wars LE . Bought new. Less then 75 plays. Absolutely perfect condition. Easy move out. Pictures available on request.”
2018-09-26
Sugar Grove, IL
7,300 (OBO)
Archived after: 17 days
Viewed: 460 times

#54 5 years ago

Everyone is talking about software and clunk and theme, but I'm shocked nobody has mentioned art yet. One is beautiful looking and the other looks like my 7 year old daughter was hired by stern to do the art package.

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Everyone is talking about software and clunk and theme, but I'm shocked nobody has mentioned art yet. One is beautiful looking and the other looks like my 7 year old daughter was hired by stern to do the art package.

Batman 66 is awesome artwork. Star Wars is probably a victim of Disney's requirements.

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

The games are actually on reverse trajectories. BM66 is one of the only modern games that is actually climbing in price despite a soft market. SW, on the other hand, seems to be dropping like a rock. For example, this guy can't sell his LE with only 75 plays for $7,300 (OBO)

Machine - For Sale
Star Wars (Premium/LE)NOB - New out of box (first owner) “Star Wars LE . Bought new. Less then 75 plays. Absolutely perfect condition. Easy move out. Pictures available on request.”
10 days ago North Aurora, IL 7,300 (OBO)
psychoticmark

There is more Star Wars out there than Batman 66. I think you may see the NIB Star Wars go down a bit but not the Batman stuff. In the end pinball is not an investment that ship sailed awhile ago. A pinball machine is an expensive toy because there are much better ways to invest 5-10K.

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballRockDude:

... there are much better ways to invest 5-10K.

That's what I thought when I bought Amazon stock earlier this week.

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I'm shocked nobody has mentioned art yet.

That's what I try to ignore on most modern games and keep an open mind with gameplay in mind. It's not always easy though.

Couldn't hang with Batman and Robin in their little tights in the middle of my living room for very long.

#59 5 years ago

Put time on both and make up your own decisions. People are too worried about what others think nowadays, I buy what I like and what I enjoy playing. I get questioned on my pinball line up a lot and I just tell them I bought them because I like them. I just picked up a southpark , honestly i think its one if the worst playing pinballs i own but I'll never sell it because I'm a fan of the show, on the flip side im not a star trek fan and star trek LE is to date my favorite pinball machine made. (Iron maiden premium will be here in less than 2 weeks) so things could change.

#60 5 years ago

Harvey Dent. Can we trust him?

#61 5 years ago

The Batman 66 pin is amazing on all levels except for the layout........I just cannot forgive it. Star Wars all the way!

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Way I see it...
BM66 = Klunky, long ball times, and about $2k overpriced easy. Gameplay can get boring at times. However, the code, theme integration, and nostalgia make them game fantastic.
SW PRO = Fast, furious, and in your face. It is both brutal, yet fun; frustrating, but satisfying. Factory settings need some tweaking to lighten up on some of the endless multi balls that can occur. But the code is the definition of breadth with so many possibilities and quick easy progression.
While Lyman is one of the best in code, some of his rules can feel sluggish; like pushing a car through mud - so much time and effort to get deep into a game. The code in SW definitely needs a rinse of polish, and that is something you won't have to worry about with a Lyman coded game.
All in all; BM66 offers depth, SW offers breadth. SW to me keeps me coming back; not sure how well BM66 would do long term in a small collection.

You just hit it why the decision is difficult for me. Batman 66 couldn't be a better theme grew up on the show loved the campy style. The pin play shooting wise not the best hitting the bat phone turn table is like flipping into the back wall. The code is great love all the villains, clips, 60's music vibe and minor villains. I am a Star Wars fan just seen so much dislike for the pin. Love a game for home that will kick your ass at times and you feel like you really beat something with a great score. Played the Hobbit for league last month one ball felt like a half hour it was flip after flip after flip. Didn't feel like you did anything almost a snooze fest.

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

The games are actually on reverse trajectories. BM66 is one of the only modern games that is actually climbing in price despite a soft market. SW, on the other hand, seems to be dropping like a rock. For example, this guy can't sell his LE with only 75 plays for $7,300 (OBO) ...

Machine - For Sale
Star Wars (Premium/LE)NOB - New out of box (first owner) “Star Wars LE . Bought new. Less then 75 plays. Absolutely perfect condition. Easy move out. Pictures available on request.”
10 days ago North Aurora, IL 7,300 (OBO)
psychoticmark

Dropping like a rock is a pretty big exaggeration. No premiums or LEs are selling second hand, they are simply too expensive and not worth it. Stern has basically succeeded in taking the secondary market out on LEs and Premiums. SW pros are going for about 10-15% less than NIB. Which is exactly where the used market should be for every game. Find me a pro that’s doing better, outside Iron Maiden? And it’s only a matter of time for that one.

BM is increasing in price because you can’t go any lower than “gee, this game blows” pricing. It’s all up from there, and yes, the game improved with Lymans code. It’s finding it’s audience. It’s not an investment.

#64 5 years ago

You could sell KISS for a huo SW pro.
Turn around and buy BM66.
Both titles have more legs to them than first impressions.

Actually, never mind. Just play the crap out of both first if you can only have one.

I just want KISS.
Good Luck!

#65 5 years ago

KISS is better than BM66 and SW.

And it's getting an update soon!

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from Cdonnerusmc:

Put time on both and make up your own decisions. People are too worried about what others think nowadays, I buy what I like and what I enjoy playing. I get questioned on my pinball line up a lot and I just tell them I bought them because I like them. I just picked up a southpark , honestly i think its one if the worst playing pinballs i own but I'll never sell it because I'm a fan of the show, on the flip side im not a star trek fan and star trek LE is to date my favorite pinball machine made. (Iron maiden premium will be here in less than 2 weeks) so things could change.

Put time in on both still can't decide like to hear how someone else looks at something it may spark me too look at something differently. In the end if I cared about what others thought in my final decision I wouldn't own a Kiss Pro and would not have owned in the past a Space Invaders and Hyperball.

#67 5 years ago

neither, get a good bally/Williams and some strippers..... more fun!

#68 5 years ago

Put time in on both still can't decide like to hear how someone else looks at something it may spark me too look at something differently. In the end if I cared about what others thought in my final decision I wouldn't own a Kiss Pro and would not have owned in the past a Space Invaders and Hyperball.

(I like Hyperball!)

That's a good way to put it.
I too ultimately decide for myself. My process: Maybe this takes some experience, I don't know... but basically I play enough times in the wild until I figure out if I'm emotionally (not necessarily rationally) drawn into the game and eager to press start... Or bored after a few plays, and I'm looking around for what's next. I don't only do this once, I see if it repeats itself over several visits until my "emotional" opinion stabilizes. I've been up and down on Houdini, until I stabilized at "down". Dialed In, I'm still up and down. I'm just getting started with DeadPool. Both SW and BM I ended up down, but up on BDK!?! Go figure. I can't explain..

Anyways, then the 2nd half of my process kicks in. Because when contemplating a $6k+ home purchase, even after passing the first test, you want a game with endurance and longevity. I simply can't determine that even on a game that I've had a blast playing the first 20 times. (Kiss is one that worries me this way.) For that I come to the forums and ask these questions. I don't know if that helps, but that's my process. Still gotten it wrong though.

If I was frequent buyer/ seller it would be much, much easier, less analytical. Also, if I were rich.
Or unmarried.

#69 5 years ago

I've actually got a KissLE coming my way...too funny....I've just enjoyed it too much on location....

Ultimately, one of the 2 of these will click w you, and hope you enjoy it....

Seeing the polarization of BM66 from release to now (primarily do to price) should give you a great indicator that the machine is quite legit. The pin is way fun, but many will still bash it. (the turntable has more going on than triggering batphone/ magnet...."bat-turn" mode still makes me smile......

SW just never did it for me, and put alot of games on it.....don't hate it, but will never own it.

GL w the pursuit!!!!!

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

neither, get a good bally/Williams and some strippers..... more fun!

Where B/W prices are at, what kind of strippers are you planning to get.

24B31669-3EE8-4F9C-B6BA-5C1FC5BFCE64 (resized).jpeg24B31669-3EE8-4F9C-B6BA-5C1FC5BFCE64 (resized).jpeg

#71 5 years ago

I’ve had SW about 3 weeks now. I’m playing with SKB’s basic settings, with some exceptions. My high score is 14B, which I got today. I have no idea if this is good or bad. When I’m drinking, 500M is certainly in play.

After about a week I had an epiphany with the rules and with the multiplier. I’ve experienced some moments of true satisfaction playing this game...but I still don’t know if I like it. It’s totally unique in my opinion. The rules absolutely dictate the game, and therefore, in my opinion, how you enjoy the game. I’ve owned many games where the rules, while important in certain ways, were irrelevant to enjoying the game (or “a” game). Not so with SW. The rules demand your attention from the get-go, and never let up.

I can’t decide if it’s more fun or exhausting. It’s definitely a challenge. This game will sharpen your play and make you better. Probably a lot better. I could sell this game before the snow flies or keep it for the next year or more. I honestly don’t know yet.

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from jkleinnd:

(I like Hyperball!)
That's a good way to put it.
I too ultimately decide for myself. My process: Maybe this takes some experience, I don't know... but basically I play enough times in the wild until I figure out if I'm emotionally (not necessarily rationally) drawn into the game and eager to press start... Or bored after a few plays, and I'm looking around for what's next. I don't only do this once, I see if it repeats itself over several visits until my "emotional" opinion stabilizes. I've been up and down on Houdini, until I stabilized at "down". Dialed In, I'm still up and down. I'm just getting started with DeadPool. Both SW and BM I ended up down, but up on BDK!?! Go figure. I can't explain..
Anyways, then the 2nd half of my process kicks in. Because when contemplating a $6k+ home purchase, even after passing the first test, you want a game with endurance and longevity. I simply can't determine that even on a game that I've had a blast playing the first 20 times. (Kiss is one that worries me this way.) For that I come to the forums and ask these questions. I don't know if that helps, but that's my process. Still gotten it wrong though.
If I was frequent buyer/ seller it would be much, much easier, less analytical. Also, if I were rich.
Or unmarried.

Couldn't agree more not a frequent buyer but if I was unmarried I would be a much more frequent of a buyer.

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

That's what I thought when I bought Amazon stock earlier this week.

Haha. Got in way too late unless you plan to keep it until you retire.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 21.50
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 4,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trying-to-decide-on-second-pin-batman-or-star-wars/page/2?hl=jaeg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.