Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by lpeters82
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“If you had to pick one for your first pin”

• Judge Dredd 11 votes
      19%
    • Last Action Hero 4 votes
      7%
    • Dirty Harry 23 votes
      39%
    • WWF Royal Rumble 7 votes
      12%
    • Demolition Man 14 votes
      24%

(59 votes)

#1 3 years ago

Hi all! I'm new here and looking for some input. I've been looking to get a pin and found some things in my price range and general region. Just can't seem to narrow it down to one. Which of these would you get for your first pin and why?

#judge-dredd
    #last-action-hero
    #dirty-harry
    #royal-rumble-wwf
    #demolition-man

Thanks!

#2 3 years ago

I would get Demo man or last action hero.

The other games aren't nearly as good as those 2.

#3 3 years ago

For me on this list, DH is vastly above everything else. JD after that and then it gets murky.

LAH & WWF you would think easily are the last 2, but I can't stand Demolition Man. Never mind, I'm over thinking it, at least DM is a smooth shooter.

DH, JD, DM, LAH, WWF

You'll get a lot of "WWF/LAH have a lot of stuff for your dollar" but it's the standard DE 10lbs of shit in a 5lbs bag.

#4 3 years ago

Royal Rumble is waaaay at the bottom, then everything else above it.
    I’ve heard tons of good stuff about LAH, but never played.
    Demoman is a great game, ignore the haters.
    Judge Dredd is popular, I find it a bit boring but that’s apparently the minority opinion!
    Dirty Harry is a good game, I haven’t had enough time on it to say much more.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Royal Rumble is waaaay at the bottom, then everything else above it.
    I’ve heard tons of good stuff about LAH, but never played.

Allow me to tell you another thing about LAH: WWF is a much better game.

#6 3 years ago

Dirty Harry has a fun 3 flipper layout- it’s a unique, underrated game

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from VoodooPlunge504:

Hi all! I'm new here and looking for some input. I've been looking to get a pin and found some things in my price range and general region. Just can't seem to narrow it down to one. Which of these would you get for your first pin and why?
    Judge Dredd
    Last Action Hero
    Dirty Harry
    Royal Rumble (WWF)
    Demolition Man
    Thanks!

#8 3 years ago

I probably wouldn't get Royal Rumble, but everything else on that list is solid. Great bang for your buck with any of those. If I had to pick one I'd probably go with Dirty Harry. Tough call though.

#9 3 years ago

LAH was my first pin. I have it 17 years. I just replaced all the large plastics, out lane guides, rubber rings and the magnet driver board.

I play it a lot. Lots of fun. Has 3 magnets, crane, ripper, shaker, 6 ball multiball. I like the movie and think the pin is great. Lots of bang for the buck!

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from VoodooPlunge504:

Judge Dredd
    Last Action Hero
    Dirty Harry
    Royal Rumble (WWF)
    Demolition Man
    Thanks!

Have you played any of these titles? That would be my start!!

#11 3 years ago

I’d go Demolition Man or Last Action Hero.
    Demolition Man is more fun to play from a pinball player’s point of view and has a better ruleset with more skill based shots. Last Action Hero is a more approachable and “fun” game. If you have kids in your house 100% last action hero. The Moving crane, built in shaker, corny humor, 6 ball multiball, magnets under the playfield, trigger mechanism, and colorful art takes it over the top. They were trying to take on Addams Family with that thing. Both machines play well but are cheap due to the theme and art package.

Go Demo Man If:
    1. You want a “skill based game”.
    2. You are good at pinball and want a game that’s fun to play if you know the rules.
    3. You like Fish Tales, World Cup Soccer, The Gettaway more than The Addams Family.
    Go with Last Action Hero If:
    1. You want a fun game.
    2. Kids will be playing it.
    3. You Like mode based games.
    4. You like The Addams Family more than Fish Tales, World Cup Soccer, and The Gettaway.

#12 3 years ago

Dirty Harry most definitely.

#13 3 years ago

Refreshing to see someone new interested in getting a classic, and not chasing the new hype. My vote is Demo Man, but here’s the reality about your first pin: any game will be exciting and fun.

#14 3 years ago

This is a great example of going with a theme more then how a game plays. All these games are lower tier games for different reasons. Wwf's greatest asset is its theme. DM and JD are really fun with bad themes. DH is decent theme with a decent layout. If you are a Dirty Harry fan, then there is no other game like it, if not, then good luck with it. LAH is probably the most polarizing game out there. Lots of people love it and say it's the greatest budget game available. Others say it's a horrible game with a bad theme.

In threads like this I always say the same thing....you can't have other people tell you what to buy.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

For me on this list, DH is vastly above everything else. JD after that and then it gets murky.
    LAH & WWF you would think easily are the last 2, but I can't stand Demolition Man. Never mind, I'm over thinking it, at least DM is a smooth shooter.
    DH, JD, DM, LAH, WWF
    You'll get a lot of "WWF/LAH have a lot of stuff for your dollar" but it's the standard DE 10lbs of shit in a 5lbs bag.

I'm right about here too, probably swap my preference for JD over DH. I also don't like Demo Man very much, but if you know you like the game it might be a good choice for you as a first game. It shoots good and isn't as brutal as Dredd or DH can be with the flipper gap and ramp shot respectively...probably a bit less expensive too. WWF/LAH are very "ok" games. They are pretty "packed" with stuff, but both play kinda clunky with not great layouts.

#16 3 years ago

My suggestion is to not narrow it down to a single machine. Come up with a list of a bunch of machines that would be acceptable and see what's available locally. If something local for a good price, that's becomes your first machine. Unless you really know what you want, why pay a premium to find a specific game when there are so many great games to choose from. For me, that ended up being Jurassic Park (DE), but I also had several of the games you listed on my list.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trying-to-decide-on-first-pin?hl=erak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.