Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Crash
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I don't think you ever saw this Robin, but it would be cool to be able to upload sound bytes to go along with game quotes. You would click a speaker icon next to a quote to hear the voice. I can rip sound bites from several games pretty easily and the space consumed on the site would be extremely small. What do you think Robin?

#2 11 years ago

Are the bytes copyrighted? I suspect that is something he has to watch.

#3 11 years ago

Yes they are but WMS really shouldn't care since they're not into pinball anymore. They want it dead. Why would they make a specific effort in protecting them? Their use is not affecting them at all.

#4 11 years ago

As long as they do not want to put them in a slot machine. They make huge money there. I hope there is a way to do it.

#5 11 years ago

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that short clips of this sort fall under fair use, particularly when used in a non-commercial context. I'd be surprised if there was a legal issue.

#6 11 years ago

Completely forgot about the ratio of consumed content vs. the amount of content that was produced. Extremely small in this case. You could even go as far as arguing that the content is used in an educational context as part of a game's info page.

#7 11 years ago

Any input Robin?

#8 11 years ago

Chris Granner has a lot of his sound bytes on his site (www.cgmusic.net)
    Wouldn`t WMS still hold the rights to them?

#9 11 years ago

Great suggestion, but I'm indeed worried by copyrights.

I also have a huge collection of mp3's with in-game pinball music (and I have permission from the person ripping them to publish) but I don't think I'm allowed to put these on the site since they are technically still copyrighted by someone (Planetary Pinball, I presume, in the case of BLY/WMS?).

If any of you are lawyers and want to help me find out what is and what isn't possible I would be happy to add music and/or sound bytes to the site. But I can't risk putting the site in danger because of them (as you can imagine) and I have zero knowledge when it comes to copyrights.

I can't do this based on assumptions, I need feedback from someone who knows what he's talking about (a lawyer probably).

#10 11 years ago

IPDB has soundbites of nearly every pinball (including williams), and even the roms files. What's the legality of their site?

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I can rip sound bites from several games pretty easily

It would be great if you could get me Cyclone voice calls - "hey you with the face", "you paid your money you take your chances", etc. I want to make phone ring tones out of those.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from Foo:

Crashdance22 said:I can rip sound bites from several games pretty easily
    It would be great if you could get me Cyclone voice calls - "hey you with the face", "you paid your money you take your chances", etc. I want to make phone ring tones out of those.

That could be arranged.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trying-this-again-sound-bites and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.