(Topic ID: 257419)

Truelevel - the pinball adjustment device now available!

By Wolfmarsh

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FB_IMG_1576587384025 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    installed sticker (resized).png
    app_owner_screen (resized).png
    app_screen_1 (resized).png
    truelevel_installed (resized).png
    truelevel_device (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to introduce a new device that @wildertronix and I came up with. We call it Truelevel.

It's a small, usb powered device that you stick on your playfield (typically under the apron) that will help you setup the pitch and roll of your machine properly. We've been torture testing them with the fine folks at Abari Game Bar in Charlotte, NC.

the truelevel devicethe truelevel device

The device easily mounts with 3M command strips under the apron.

truelevel installedtruelevel installed

We've also written a phone app that lets you interact with the device via Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). The app is open to everyone, not just owners of Truelevel.
    The idea is if you are a player and go to an arcade where Truelevel is installed, you can check to see if the pins are set up properly with a simple red/green indicator of their status, as seen below.

**CURRENTLY THE APP IS ANDROID ONLY, iOS VERSION COMING SOON (Q1 2020)**

app public screenapp public screen

If you are the owner of the device, you'll have set a PIN number that allows you access to the owners screen where you control the settings and get the raw readouts from the device:

app owners screenapp owners screen

We've put a limited initial run of the devices up for purchase on the storefront at: https://www.savepointvideogames.com/

The app is available in the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.savepointvideogames.truelevel

**REMEMBER, CURRENTLY THE APP IS ANDROID ONLY, iOS VERSION COMING SOON (Q1 2020)**

Thanks for reading and remember to look for the "Truelevel Installed" sticker so you can use the app!

truelevel installedtruelevel installed

#2 4 years ago

Very cool! I like it!

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinmasher:

Very cool! I like it!

Thanks!!

#4 4 years ago

Now you need to make a way for the player to level the machine by using his phone if he sees it is out of level.

Some kind of servos on the leg levellers or under the playfield or something.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

Now you need to make a way for the player to level the machine by using his phone if he sees it is out of level.

With all the other unique mods ( lit flipper bats, plunger lit) I would not doubt it's in someones laboratory!

#7 4 years ago

We used these to level the machines for States last year in NC and all players were pleased!

#8 4 years ago

Uh, NO, because the first thing a savvy player would do would be to _de-level_ the machine to their advantage. Not something you want in the players' hands on location.

#9 4 years ago

Any location that cares enough to buy this device, probably cares enough to level the machine properly anyway.

#10 4 years ago

Very cool product!

#11 4 years ago

This will be sweet for tournament set-ups or opp's that move a bunch of games around regularly. I really like the idea but since I only have 1 game i doubt I'll buy one.

#12 4 years ago

Would be nice if players could see what the inline is

#13 4 years ago

Simply Awesome, John!

#14 4 years ago

I like the suggestion, but if that tech did exist I think I'd take it a step further and just automate keeping the machine adjusted properly. If the system knew it was out of adjustment it would instruct the legs to put itself back in.

Quoted from Luckydogg420:

This will be sweet for tournament set-ups or opp's that move a bunch of games around regularly. I really like the idea but since I only have 1 game i doubt I'll buy one.

Yeah we have tested them for a few events and we are pretty happy with how they keep the experience similar for each player! Players can quickly check before their rounds to make sure the games are still setup within parameters.

We've also set them up in our home pins and there are a couple of features we added to give it some value there as well. One of the things was the voice prompts to help adjust the machine. When I am moving machines around at home it's often just me. With Truelevel installed I don't have to take off the glass just to level the machine or check that it's in adjustment, I can just open my phone. If the game needs adjustment I can turn on the voice instructions and crawl under the machine to adjust the legs. The phone will say things like "Left Front Higher", etc...

I'm as careful as I can be about taking out glass, but it still makes me nervous every time. This helps me cut down on the times I do that just to check the level of the pin.

Quoted from zacaj:

Would be nice if players could see what the inline is

This was a topic that wildertronix and I went through a lot as well. We decided to start with the least amount of information available to the public and maybe add options in the future for the owners to expose more. One of the considerations was around a game that may play better with "odd" settings, like rolled to the left 0.2 degrees makes the game have less SDTM and is not noticeable by the players. If you saw in the phone app that the desired roll on the machine was +0.2 degrees, you might question the sanity of that.

We didn't want people to be hung up on EXACT measurements like +6.50 degree pitch and 0.00 degree roll, because that might not be where the game plays the best. We wanted to leave that up to the owner. As a player you get to see if the game is set up the way the owner wants (whatever that may be).

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Simply Awesome, John!

Thanks Art!!!

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from JWJr:

Uh, NO, because the first thing a savvy player would do would be to de-level_ the machine to their advantage. Not something you want in the players' hands on location.

It would only be enabled if the machine was out of level. Not allowing a player to make it worse than it is.

#16 4 years ago

You may want to zoom in on the bubble a bit more on the app. It's off by .56º but it shows very close to the center of the glass. That's .58" over 5' which on 3/8-16 thread would be about 9 turns.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

You could add in the math, showing the number of turns on the feet to get the machine to the desired level. You just need the foot spread.

#17 4 years ago

Now that I think about this more, for a home user like me, who extremely rarely moves his machines, I wouldn't have much use for this in it's current form. However, if I could just set this on the playfield and then go in the app and see how many turns on each leg to level my machine, I would find it very interesting. But I wouldn't want to purchase more than one.

In order for it to lie flat, it would need an external battery pack and not use usb for power.

#18 4 years ago

Patent this and license it to stern. Etc.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

You may want to zoom in on the bubble a bit more on the app.

Great suggestion, I'll definitely make the middle circle bigger and make sure it uses more of the available range!

Quoted from yaksplat:

In order for it to lie flat, it would need an external battery pack and not use usb for power.

We have a case like this in the works! Good idea.

#20 4 years ago

Love those ESP8266 chipsets so freaking powerful with built in wireless connectivity!

Great product to build with one!

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I like the suggestion, but if that tech did exist I think I'd take it a step further and just automate keeping the machine adjusted properly. If the system knew it was out of adjustment it would instruct the legs to put itself back in.

The tech does exist. It is actually something I have already looked into in the past. It's just really expensive. You can replace the feet with micro linear actuators, then control that via your software. But you are looking at adding a HUGE chunk of $$ to each build.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from RandyW:

The tech does exist. It is actually something I have already looked into in the past. It's just really expensive. You can replace the feet with micro linear actuators, then control that via your software. But you are looking at adding a HUGE chunk of $$ to each build.

It wouldn't surprise me if we see this at some point (not with this product but rather in a new full cab design) but rather than actuators leveling the entire machine at the feet, only the playfield itself would be moved.

#23 4 years ago

I did a test of this idea about 3 years ago. I spent about $600 on actuators, relays and a dev board.. But I was able to make a machine that could be adjusted remotely. I have since repurposed those actuators for other projects.. as I found it neat, but not really all that useful at home. Since my machines don't get move and never really go out of level.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

Love those ESP8266 chipsets so freaking powerful with built in wireless connectivity!
    Great product to build with one!

This particular one is the newer generation, the ESP32, but I completely agree. It's a fantastic line of products.

Quoted from RandyW:

I did a test of this idea about 3 years ago. I spent about $600 on actuators, relays and a dev board.. But I was able to make a machine that could be adjusted remotely. I have since repurposed those actuators for other projects.. as I found it neat, but not really all that useful at home. Since my machines don't get move and never really go out of level.

toyotaboy recently did a test of this as well, there's a video of it somewhere on dead flip's stream.

#25 4 years ago

Ordered one to try out.

#26 4 years ago

Are they easily movable between games? And does the board have to be perfectly aligned to get a true level? Definately interested

#27 4 years ago

Very cool. congrats, and good luck on the sales.

#28 4 years ago

This is pretty cool, can't wait to see the solution for a mobile version of it. Does it ever require any kind of calibration?? Nice job of getting a hand model to do your installation video for you BTW!

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from JWJr:

Ordered one to try out.

Thanks for giving it a shot! Please let us know what you think, and if you have any issues reach out to [email protected] we can always help! I'm always available by PM as well.

Quoted from amkoepfer:

Are they easily movable between games? And does the board have to be perfectly aligned to get a true level? Definitely interested

Right now they ship with 3M command strips which is designed to keep it in place until you want to move it. Moving it does ruin the strips, but refill packs are available at a lot of locations. If you are looking for a way to move it between a bunch of games in a little plastic enclosure, we are working on that.

It should be as aligned as you can make it with the edge of the playfield. The closer you align it with the playfield the better the readings are.

Quoted from bobukcat:

Does it ever require any kind of calibration??

Nope, it shouldn't.

Quoted from bobukcat:

Nice job of getting a hand model to do your installation video for you BTW!

Definitely, hahaha. No need to broadcast my own sausage fingers and beat up hands.

#30 4 years ago

Fantastic work Wolfmarsh !!! Looking forward to adding one to my game

#31 4 years ago

Incredible. Love the creativity in this place!

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from swizzlefish:

Fantastic work wolfmarsh !!! Looking forward to adding one to my game

Quoted from seshpilot:

Incredible. Love the creativity in this place!

Thanks!!

#33 4 years ago

Would be nice if that also replaced the Tilt Bob.

Still this is very nice. I've heard that this functionality is built into the new Stern system but they're in some sort of patent fight?

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Would be nice if that also replaced the Tilt Bob.
    Still this is very nice. I've heard that this functionality is built into the new Stern system but they're in some sort of patent fight?

Not entirely sure. I think someone does have a patent on devices that interface with a pinball machine, so we've avoided that for now.

Thanks to Abari in Charlotte, NC for becoming the first location with 5 units in their rotation!!

They have a very active player base and Truelevel is helping to offer them the best playing experience.

FB_IMG_1576587384025 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1576587384025 (resized).jpg
    #35 4 years ago

Thanks for your orders! We would love to hear some user feedback as well!

3 years later
    #36 1 year ago

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but did this device ever become generally available? I haven’t seen anything recent so I’m assuming not but I think it’s a great idea.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/truelevel-the-pinball-adjustment-device-now-available?hl=jwjr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.