Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 157 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by chad
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hansen (resized).png
    9603236D-779F-4DF9-BB4A-DB43FE3DA6F4 (resized).png
    22470002-4D3F-4DEE-9858-2327DADC11DD (resized).jpeg
    untitled.jpg
    d2059ec8e8d9e163ca2695a8ee0734ee (resized).jpg
    photo_2018-05-19_14-07-31 (resized).jpg
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zennmaster.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#45 5 years ago

After reading about the first arrest, I wondered if I could ever look at CFTBL or GB without the following image popping into my mind:

A guy is working at his desk late into the night. It's quiet in the office, since most of the other staff have gone home. His vision is starting to blur just a bit from staring into his computer screen for hours upon hours. He pushes back from his desk, removes his glasses and rubs his eyes. He takes a few seconds to clear his mind and take a quick mental break. He leans back in his chair, looks up at the ceiling and thinks about the secret that makes him happy...

He then smiles to himself and gets back to work.

Sadly, that image has occurred to me every time I've seen one of his games for the last several months. I can't imagine it will stop now.

That's just me, others will have other opinions.

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

A great pin is a great pin. Should TOTAN sell for $3000 because JPOP is kind of a fuckwit? It’d be nice, but it won’t happen. I feel the same about Congo. I don’t believe in guilt by association when it comes to my games. I’ll enjoy it for what’s is, a great layout with decent rules.

You've hit on the key word: "Enjoy".

Personally, part of the enjoyment I get out of a game, or any art for that matter, is the association with the creator. For example: MB and RFM are more interesting, and thus more personally valuable to me because they were designed by George Gomez. IMHO, owning a pinball machine for home use is 100% emotional. I do it because it's fun, and I get some joy out of it.

I've already found that my fun and joy at playing JT's games on location has been lessened below some threshold that is important to me. If I owned one (I don't), would I throw it out on the street? Of course not. On the other hand, I might be tempted to see if there was interest in a trade for something on my wish list. We're lucky in that there are plenty of great games out there, and even if these slip in value or lose desirability, the pool of other games is quite deep.

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Like watching a movie and seeing the Weinstein company logo flash before the movie starts. Ugh....

That is exactly and precisely "it".

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

I find it beyond hilarious that ppl won’t play games designed by this potential perv.

Nobody's proposing a boycott, and I can only speak for myself, but I'm a little skeeved out by the whole situation, and that makes it less fun. We all like some games better than others, and this is just one more factor going into the mix.

And yeah, having been a huge fan of Kevin Spacey for decades, and having grown up listening to Bill Cosby's comedy albums, I'm deeply disappointed. The movies are less appealing, and the comedy is less funny knowing what I know now. The fact that I have a 12 year-old daughter probably amplifies it.

Like I said before, pinball is about fun, and fun is inherently emotional.

By all means, though, flip away on GB and CFTBL! Just know it's not me standing impatiently behind you.

#128 5 years ago
    Quoted from swanng:

It would appear that Whysnow is not allowing intellect and reason to be ruled by emotions. Good for you!

Pinball is inherently subjective and emotional. That's why there's more than one game, and why the word "Amusement" shows up so often. Some things make games more or less fun to individuals. Intellect and reason would suggest that a good ETF is a much better place to store money than a pinball machine, and yet we're all here.

Different things bother different people. Personally, I don't care for lightning flippers, and I think spinners are really fun. Thinking about a guy abusing kids detracts from my experience, so I will choose to avoid it whenever possible. Someone else will have a different judgment about that, and that's fine, but I don't think that either position is one of intellectual superiority or the triumph of reason over emotion.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zennmaster.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trudeau-in-news-again?tu=Zennmaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.