Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Rarehero
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

So, Tom Kopera was the designer for The Rolling Stones Pro/LE and it appears that he is selling his personal TRS LE on EBAY.

His ad reads as follows:

"Stones LE number 215/350. The game have very little play on it and is in original factory condition. This is my personal game which I brought home from the factory after finishing the project. I had it my game for a while but there is just not enough room so I put it back in a box (not the original box) and it has been in heated storage since.

I can bring it to Expo for pick up or you can pick at my location. I will hold it with a $500.00 deposit."

Does anyone else find it a bit strange that the actual designer of the game is selling the game because he just doesn't have enough room for it in his game room? Personally, I like the game. However, the designer himself is like "nope, not enough room for that dog (eh...that I created myself) in my own collection". Again, kinda funny, kinda sad.

#2 9 years ago

kinda

#3 9 years ago

Its very telling...

#4 9 years ago

I guess he shouldn't of put Mick on stick

#5 9 years ago

that's a weird game to play. not a lot of fun for me. maybe i didn't give it enough time.
totally doesn't make any sense why i'm chasing mick around and banging him with a ball.
very weird.

#6 9 years ago

The game isn't bad. Would never be in my collection, but isn't terrible.

#7 9 years ago

I think the game is great. The shots are wide and the flow is fantastic. It feels a lot like a Steve Ritchie game. The problem is the theme is absolutely terrible and the art package is equally bad.

#8 9 years ago

I think we have all have had games that we fell out of love with.

At one time we played them till the sun came up, but after so many years they just never get turned on unless guests come over.

Does anyone know if SR still has StellarWars or 24 in his collection?

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I think the game is great. The shots are wide and the flow is fantastic. It feels a lot like a Steve Ritchie game. The problem is the theme is absolutely terrible and the art package is equally bad.

The theme is great. Just misused horribly. Same with avengers.

Regarding Ritchie, I remember from a seminar he doesn't keep all his games he made. I think only Gomez has said he's kept all his games he designed.

#11 9 years ago

I like stones. It's a game that could benefit from a code update

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I think we have all have had games that we fell out of love with.

I agree. But I think that if I had a hand in four pinball machines grand total, being the chief designer on two of them (CC and TRS), I'd somehow manage to find a permanent place for each of them in my home.

#13 9 years ago

The game wouldn't be half bad with a different song set.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I think the game is great. The shots are wide and the flow is fantastic. It feels a lot like a Steve Ritchie game.

Flow is awesome and it is one of the top 5 fastest games-imo, especially with powerball. I did not like minimal song selections at first but as I progressed further into the game, more songs came along. TRS LE has really grown on me and now I love it. It is my wife's favorite game along with Transformers LE. The double flipper throws you off and adds another unique element that requires skill and timing-sweet game.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Flow is awesome and it is one of the top 5 fastest games-imo, especially with powerball. I did not like minimal song selections at first but as I progressed further into the game, more songs came along. TRS LE has really grown on me and now I love it. It is my wife's favorite game along with Transformers LE. The double flipper throws you off and adds another unique element that requires skill and timing-sweet game.

Like I said in my OP, I really like the game too. I had a Pro and sold it. I would love to have an LE due to the additional features. I think that the powerball and the under playfield magnets, in addition to the player-controlled drain blockers would be a lot of fun. Couple that with the chrome trim, and I think it's all there. Every time I saw your FS ad, I thought about how much I wanted it. I thought you were priced right, just too far. If Kopera would sell for about the same and he could at least get it to the Michigan border, I would probably go for it.

#16 9 years ago

relax... it's only pinball.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Every time I saw your FS ad, I thought about how much I wanted it. I thought you were priced right, just too far.

Yea I did not like the song selection for main game play and then I had several people offer full asking price and my wife shut me down and said no go? It is the only game she said she would like to see stay around. I guess it is like the saying goes " Happy wife-Happy life" She puts up with all my obsessive pinball behavior-lol. It would appear at first it was a sleeper and now it is a keeper.

#18 9 years ago

GLWTS

Hope the buyer gets it signed (pf, Apron, plastics)

#19 9 years ago

We play TRS pro in league all the time. I got a chance to play maybe 5-10 games on the LE once and I prefer the pro. Too much going on with all the button controllable posts for me, plus the powerball just shows up whenever it wants to and doubles the playfield. Really nice looking clear coat, though. Where we play league there are about 30 pins, and TRS gets picked by multiple groups almost every week.

#20 9 years ago

It would be weird if it was his first game he made.

#21 9 years ago

Maybe a big profit is more important than being proud of his creation?

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

I agree. But I think that if I had a hand in four pinball machines grand total, being the chief designer on two of them (CC and TRS), I'd somehow manage to find a permanent place for each of them in my home.

You have to pretend to love all your children equally, but you know who your favorites are.

#23 9 years ago

I am considering selling my TRS LE(need $ to pay debt for another game) PM me if any local folks are interested . Game is in my basement in Colorado. Asking $5200

#24 9 years ago

Perhaps he needs to make room for the next Stern music pin. Andrews Sisters LE.

#25 9 years ago

What you have to understand is that, to these guys, most of the time they're sick of the game by the time they've spent 6 months to a year working on it. So they don't hold it in the same regard that a non-designer would.

So he probably doesn't have the attachment you think he might have.

#26 9 years ago

What is the value on the LE of this game. Don't see them very often. I can't imagine it is more than TFLE. 4k? Maybe less?

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Like I said in my OP, I really like the game too. I had a Pro and sold it. I would love to have an LE due to the additional features. I think that the powerball and the under playfield magnets, in addition to the player-controlled drain blockers would be a lot of fun. Couple that with the chrome trim, and I think it's all there. Every time I saw your FS ad, I thought about how much I wanted it. I thought you were priced right, just too far. If Kopera would sell for about the same and he could at least get it to the Michigan border, I would probably go for it.

If you make a deal on it I will pick it up and bring it to you. Let me know right now I have no pins coming home Expo weekend.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Rock914:

If you make a deal on it I will pick it up and bring it to you. Let me know right now I have no pins coming home Expo weekend.

That is very kind of you, Chris. I just noticed that he also has it listed for $5950 in the Pinside marketplace, so he seems a bit high. Maybe we'll see how the ebay auction shakes out and if he comes back to Earth or not. Either way, that is very generous of you and I appreciate it.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I can't imagine it is more than TFLE. 4k? Maybe less?

I don't think so. The game doesn't get a lot of love, no question about that- less so than TFLE even. However, there are probably less than 300 in existence as opposed to 750 TFLE (combo, autobot, decepticon). Rich, old Stones fans (not even pinheads, per se) gobbled these up from what I understand. That's why you don't see too many around. $4800-$5200 seems to be around the sweet spot. It's been that way for a while.

#30 9 years ago

Are you going to make him an offer?

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Hopefully he at least autographed it for him.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

The game isn't bad. Would never be in my collection, but isn't terrible.

A true politician

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I guess he shouldn't of put Mick on stick

There was an article in Pingame Journal about TRS, and it showed some radically different playfield designs sketches. I think we need to take the process into account every time we look at a game and say "They blew it...why'd they do THAT and not something cooler!?". I think they often TRY to do the coolest game they can but often the license holder is difficult and keeps saying "no" ...and eventually you have a deadline and just have to get a game done. At the end of the day, this may not be the game Tom really wanted to make, but the one that was finally approved. Perhaps they wanted Mick to be a molded toy like most games, but the licensor would only sign off on an exact likeness based on the marketing style guide. In early code, there were more cartoony versions of the band members on the DMD (like AC/DC & Metallica) - and the licensor said "NO" - hence the "real" photo versions of the band members now on the DMD.

So - it is what it is...I wouldn't "blame" Tom for the game if you don't like it. All things considered, it's a really fun game to shoot & I love the music. I'd still get one at the "right" price.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Gomez has said he's kept all his games he designed.

God why, they're all the same.

Shoot the same shot four times, start the mode.

#35 9 years ago

I honestly like the game. I would never pay that for a LE but I don't necessarily think it is a bad game. If Zi could find a pro for about $3k I would buy it. In saying that, it's not high on my want list.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I honestly like the game. I would never pay that for a LE but I don't necessarily think it is a bad game. If Zi could find a pro for about $3k I would buy it. In saying that, it's not high on my want list.

I'm in the same boat, if one fell out of the sky for the right price at the right time (space-wise in terms of my collection) I would bite. I would rather jam on one locally at an arcade, but since pins on location don't exist near me... what 'cha gonna do?

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I don't know. Strange how this has evolved into whether or not I will make an offer. My fault, I guess. I will probably make an eBay bid while the auction is still active and take it from there.

#38 9 years ago

The LE looks nice and is a mellow layout. Great pin in the lobby of my office. The mirrored backlass, the controlled posts and lollipop armor make a nice LE package. All this crap about mick baffles me, it is a moving target, I like that. People dig the crane in batman. The plastic could be better but it is fun. Music good, I like mine and think it fun pin.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

I don't think so. The game doesn't get a lot of love, no question about that- less so than TFLE even. However, there are probably less than 300 in existence as opposed to 750 TFLE (combo, autobot, decepticon). Rich, old Stones fans (not even pinheads, per se) gobbled these up from what I understand. That's why you don't see too many around. $4800-$5200 seems to be around the sweet spot. It's been that way for a while.

If you offer him $5200 I'll bet You'll be an owner!...And maybe a permanent one at that.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

God why, they're all the same.
Shoot the same shot four times, start the mode.

Only MB and TAV...what else? Corvette, no. JM, no. LOTR, no. Etc...

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

The plastic could be better but it is fun.

No one ever made a mod for the Mic on the Stick toy?

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Only MB and TAV...what else? Corvette, no. JM, no. LOTR, no. Etc...

TF is in that mold as well. TF is awesome though, that game has grown on me; I need to change my ranking for it.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

No one ever made a mod for the Mic on the Stick toy?

I suppose you could somehow rig a Mick action figure there....but I bet most people who have the game don't care, because that moving target makes the game really fun. Lots of fast random ball movement. It might be less fun with a bulky figure....BBH has a toy deer...but the physics off of Mick are more fun.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trs-le-kinda-funny-kinda-sad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.