• Latest reply 4 years ago by Brtlkat
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5F330D8D-3A42-4A29-8C8B-2A139CB467C8 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0545 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jason_Jehosaphat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I'm having an issue with what I believe is trough switch #4 in a Stern SAM. During gameplay, a ball will drain but the trough switch won't register and the game will do an endless ball search rather than advance to the next ball.
I have tested the trough switches in the Diagnostic mode of the Service Menu and they check out fine. I tested them by loading four balls into the trough and then, through the open coin door, using a small screw driver to gently move the balls onto and then off of their respective switches. There is a narrow slot in the trough which allows access for this purpose. Why would the switch check out when tested but for some reason not alert the game to the presence of a ball in the trough? Do I replace the switch to begin with? Below is a link to the only trough switch I could find at Pinball Life. Marco does have a few more, but none that truly matches the Stern switch in my trough.

https://www.pinballlife.com/data-eastsegastern-ball-trough-microswitch.html
IMG_0545 (resized).jpgIMG_0545 (resized).jpg

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Did you test the switch with a ball or your finger? If you used your finger, you are pressing down farther than the ball can sitting in the trough. Test with a ball. Chances are the wire actuator need bent up slightly so the ball can push it down.

Thanks, Schudel.
I amended my post to reflect how I tested the switch using balls, not my finger.
Failing opto board? I hadn't though of that, but the game is low-play HUO, so I would not suspect a failed board. Can the Diagnostic menu be used to evaluate an opto board? If not, now about a mult-meter? Such testing is nothing I've ever done before.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

This trough has physical switches. Not optos. My bet is on magnetized balls.

Thanks, Erik.
I loaded new balls in the game just today. They roll in the trough normally. No sluggish movement due to magnetization. Heck, I even have my magnets turned off.
Still, knowing there are no opto switches in my trough is helpful. I was wondering if there might be one at the entrance to the trough as I was sure the switches *in* the trough were simple, mechanical micro switches.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Thermionic:

Definitely check the opto boards, they fail often and that is highly likely possible; as above, it doesn't matter how old or new the game is, these things can fail at any time for any (or no) reason. In my experience, they can often be fixed by reflowing the solder joints at the connector and LEDs.
Could also be a case of magnetized balls. I have had this occur a couple of times in these troughs, and the symptoms were very similar to what you describe. The balls tended to "stick" to the trough, as a result they tended to roll down sluggishly and when they encountered the opening for the switch actuator they would stall just short of triggering the switch.

Thank you, too, Thermionic.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.95
$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newton, NJ
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jason_Jehosaphat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trough-switch-4-sam-works-but-won-t-register?tu=Jason_Jehosaphat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.