Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).PNG
#1 5 years ago

Just finished rebuilding a nice Judge Dredd. Ran through the tests after booting it up, and noticed that some optos were registering two different switches in the same column (highlighted).

I unplugged the connector from the opto board and connected the proper row/column wire with a diode, and only the correct opto triggered.

So I figured it must be an opto board issue, but then I realized that 77 isn't an opto. (or well, it is, but it's one of those U optos on a dedicated board, not one of the normal ones that use the opto board), and in fact that row isn't even connected to the opto board

After some troubleshooting I discovered that, if I unplug the trough optos, everything else functions properly. 71/61 only trigger 65/77 when the trough opto is connected.

All trough optos work fine, however the the issue changes depending on which trough optos are closed. To give one example, if a ball is in trough 6 (62), 49 will be off (as long as the actual 49 opto is in the right place). If I remove the ball, 49 turns on. if I move the ball to trough 5 (61), then 41 turns on.

The trough opto boards are repro

I'm probably missing some examples, but it's very hard to give a full listing of the issue because of all the optos involved...

Any ideas on where to look? My instinct is that something is going wrong with the trough opto making it respond to columns it shouldn't, but I don't understand why it would only affect other optos. I don't have any other compatible trough boards to swap

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#2 5 years ago

More fun info:

I unplugged the column 6 opto board and then swapped it and another known good opto board with the column 7 opto board. All 3 worked the same.

In this simpler state with only the trough and column 7 opto board plugged in, I was able to get a reproducible test case:

if the crane opto is blocked:
- if the trough jam is blocked and no other optos are:
-- then the crane opto reads unblocked
- as soon as any other opto besides the trough jam is blocked:
-- the crane opto goes back to blocked

if the crane opto is not blocked:
- if any of the trough optos are blocked:
-- globe 2 flickers sometimes (otherwise not blocked)
- if any other opto in col 7 or trough jam is blocked:
-- globe 2 is blocked
--- if globe is rotated while in this state:
---- globe 2 unblocks and blocks as normal
--- when not in this state globe 2 is stuck unblocked

#3 5 years ago

I would check whether you are getting steady 12 volts on the power driver board, and then check the trough boards for any damaged traces or resistors.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from arolden:

I would check whether you are getting steady 12 volts on the power driver board, and then check the trough boards for any damaged traces or resistors.

12VU on driver reads 13V. I checked it at all the optos and it's also 12V+. Trough boards are repros with all surface mount stuff so it's sorta hard to investigate, but I've got the trough removed so I'll take them off and take a look

#5 5 years ago

I am in the process of repairing a T2 MPU board that has 2 shorted columns. Just like you show, switch 61 will also register switch 71, 62 registers with switch 72 and so on...all the way down those two columns. On that MPU, I can measure across the 10k resistors and see one of them measuring as 100 ohms instead of about 9.6k in the circuit. I removed one side of the 10k that is measuring low and see that it still measures 100 ohms on the board. So I have more digging to do on it. Odd thing is that this MPU does not have any battery damage at all.

Worth trying another MPU in the machine as a test.

#6 5 years ago

Realized I could swap the trough opto from my Demo Man in for the one in JD even though they were different part numbers (a-16926 vs a-17981), so I plugged that in and the issue disappeared. Looks like this repro board has an issue...

#7 5 years ago

I was not expecting that. Where did you get the trough boards from?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I was not expecting that. Where did you get the trough boards from?

They were in it when I got it. Emailed Great Lakes Modular in case this is a known issue, waiting to hear back. Supposedly the game played fine before it was disassembled, so I'm not sure if something went wrong somewhere or if the issues just never became apparent in gameplay. I only noticed it because I couldn't get the dead world mod to work quite right. It would stop about an inch off from the crane sometimes but not others, but would unload the ball successfully after a few tries. Works solid without the trough plugged in, but maybe they just never noticed.

#9 5 years ago

The tough optos are really simple circuit I would almost think it has to be a solder splash or something. Can those photo transistors fail emitter to collector? Does that happen?

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

The tough optos are really simple circuit I would almost think it has to be a solder splash or something. Can those photo transistors fail emitter to collector? Does that happen?

On original boards I would have assumed it was the comparator but I don't even see any chip on these with that many inputs.

2 years later
#11 2 years ago

I've been pulling my hair out with the same issue you experienced. The JD machine has the same trough boards from Great Lakes. I tore Deadworld apart and cleaned the gearboxes and put in new grease. Much quieter now but could not get Deadworld and the crane working properly. With switch 61 (Globe 1) and switch 77 (Globe 2) closed, switch 65 (not used) and switch 71 (magnet over ring) also close. With two or more balls in the Great Lakes trough, switch 65 and 71 open. Did you hear back from Great Lakes?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trough-board-causing-opto-issues-in-other-rows-columns and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.