View topic image gallery

20180114_111948 (resized).jpg
3B9A1AF5-B6AA-4D19-9BB3-4DACE0BAA2D5 (resized).jpeg
75E3B362-9D56-4E0C-B404-CC6D474089AF (resized).jpeg
F829794D-59D5-4CBC-A93B-AA4D61D359AA (resized).jpeg
7C44FB6C-5E88-46E5-95A6-45B6F7568AC9 (resized).jpeg
6AE331B3-DAA4-44E8-93E6-E5F5F37F97C5 (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

Looking for some help with an issue I'm having on a Data East Jurassic Park. I thought I had gotten to the bottom of this, but now I'm not so sure.

A little background: Picked this game up from a fellow pinsider who was very upfront that it had an issue with the GI system. There are no GI lights at all. It appears the game and lights were working fine, but there was a fire and when I bought the game alot of the wires had been burnt and disconnected while the issue was investigated. I'm guessing now, but I think this game was functioning with a Rottendog MPU board and original power supply board. Then the fire happened and an Xpin power supply was added to the game along with a Inkochnito rectifier board. The issue wasn't solved and ended up smoking some traces on the new Xpin board.

So I bought the game and set about trying to fix the issue. I replaced all the burnt wires and GI connectors, header pins, and molex pins. I talked with the Xpin guys and ordered a new relay and diode to fix their board. Replaced that and repaired the trace. I also found a shorted Q28 transistor on the MPU. Q28 is the transistor that drives the relay coil. I figured this transistor was the original failure and it smoked the wires and traces and started the fire. I replaced the transistor along with the U1 and U5_f chips in case those were affected by the short.

That brings us to today and the reason I'm asking for help. After doing all that I turned it on and the Q28 transistor I had replaced shattered. Now I'm sure it's possible I just got a bad transistor, but most likely there is still an issue. I was thinking that if the transistor failed again, there must be a short. I checked for continuity to ground on each of the GI relay pins and don't have it. There is also no continuity between the two pins for the GI relay (checked that in case the repair I made on the trace was shorted). It also doesn't appear the transistor is shorted like it was before, if I check continuity from the metal tab to ground, I don't have continuity.

Given all of this information, can someone suggest something for me to check or try? I'm not sure where to go from here as I thought I had fixed this issue. Here are a few links for the schematics. Please help me figure this out

http://www.rottendog.us/MPU004.pdf - Rottendog MPU
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2493/Tales_From_the_Crypt_Schematics.pdf - hi def schematics

#2 6 years ago

It could be someone has hacked the 6 vac GI circuit and messed it up. Disconnect CN 7 on the PS. That will disable the transistor circuit that is blowing apart. The GI is designed to be on constantly and the relay circuit turns it off. Check for proper voltage and continuity at the GI pigtail connector. There are four wires. 2 wires for each side of the AC voltage. 2 of them pass voltage onto the PPB from CN 8 on the PS to the PPB and is fused there. The other 2 run through the relay that is energized from the transistor you replaced. When the relay is at rest the GI is on, when the relay is energized the GI is off. Good luck.

#3 6 years ago

Also CN 8 may be wired wrong.

#4 6 years ago

With the GI. Unplug cn12. If the GI comes on then it’s in the board. I also had that problem on a ver3 board. Never could figure it out. So I pulled the transistor and put it on route for an operator as he did not want to send the board out or get a new one. It’s been on route for about a year. Never heard anything else about it so it must still be working

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from mikat11:

It could be someone has hacked the 6 vac GI circuit and messed it up. Disconnect CN 7 on the PS. That will disable the transistor circuit that is blowing apart. The GI is designed to be on constantly and the relay circuit turns it off. Check for proper voltage and continuity at the GI pigtail connector. There are four wires. 2 wires for each side of the AC voltage. 2 of them pass voltage onto the PPB from CN 8 on the PS to the PPB and is fused there. The other 2 run through the relay that is energized from the transistor you replaced. When the relay is at rest the GI is on, when the relay is energized the GI is off. Good luck.

Thanks. It blew apart with that disconnected. I had left it disconnected from the power supply just to measure the voltage coming from the transformer

#6 6 years ago

They will just always be on.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from tonyhoff1:

With the GI. Unplug cn12. If the GI comes on then it’s in the board. I also had that problem on a ver3 board. Never could figure it out. So I pulled the transistor and put it on route for an operator as he did not want to send the board out or get a new one. It’s been on route for about a year. Never heard anything else about it so it must still be working

If I'm not mistaken, unplugging cn12 or at least the pin would just serve to disable the relay, correct? So the lights could then not be shut off. I could try that, I would just have to pull this transistor since it's compromised so no fire starts again.

#8 6 years ago

Here is cn8

6AE331B3-DAA4-44E8-93E6-E5F5F37F97C5 (resized).jpeg6AE331B3-DAA4-44E8-93E6-E5F5F37F97C5 (resized).jpeg

7C44FB6C-5E88-46E5-95A6-45B6F7568AC9 (resized).jpeg7C44FB6C-5E88-46E5-95A6-45B6F7568AC9 (resized).jpeg

F829794D-59D5-4CBC-A93B-AA4D61D359AA (resized).jpegF829794D-59D5-4CBC-A93B-AA4D61D359AA (resized).jpeg

#9 6 years ago

Yes pull Q28

#10 6 years ago

Heee is GI on Power Supply

75E3B362-9D56-4E0C-B404-CC6D474089AF (resized).jpeg75E3B362-9D56-4E0C-B404-CC6D474089AF (resized).jpeg

#11 6 years ago

Check this connector also as this one was burnt and was shorted

3B9A1AF5-B6AA-4D19-9BB3-4DACE0BAA2D5 (resized).jpeg3B9A1AF5-B6AA-4D19-9BB3-4DACE0BAA2D5 (resized).jpeg

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from tonyhoff1:

Heee is GI on Power Supply

Thanks for your pictures. I did notice last night that my red and brown wires were switched on the power supply. These are the wires just below the gi connector and run to the relay. I figured it didn't matter since it's just enabling a relay. Should I switch them back to how yours and the schematics show?

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from tonyhoff1:

Check this connector also as this one was burnt and was shorted

Is that the z connector for the topper or for the backbox? I repined and replaced connectors for both, but I can double check my work

#14 6 years ago

That’s for the backbox

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from tonyhoff1:

That’s for the backbox

Thanks for the help! I didn't realize I could just get rid of the transistor. So I removed that and I double checked my wiring and it was all good. Fired it up after reconnecting power from the transformer and the gi works. Thanks!

20180114_111948 (resized).jpg20180114_111948 (resized).jpg

#16 6 years ago

Glad I could help some lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mariposa, CA
$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 18.95
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/troubleshooting-no-gi-lights?hl=mikat11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.