(Topic ID: 113115)

Troubleshooting help: opto trough board (Sega/Stern)

By McSirTuna

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by tktlwyr
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider McSirTuna.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I'm posting this for a friend of mine in Atlanta who is having an issue with an opto board in the trough. I shipped him a Lost in Space recently and I noticed an issue with a switch in the trough not reading. The board that reads the trough ball at the launch coil and the ball jam. So I've been trying to help him and I'm now perplexed myself and need help. So here's the situation...

The trough opto is showing active always. The jam opto works as it should. Simple solution for him (he is new to pinball and just getting more comfortable now) I ordered him a new receiver board from PBL. Today we had him swap the boards and now neither switch is working on the new board. I had him pull the board off the trough and test it with a flashlight. Still the same result. So I figure it may be a bad board. Then I realize he also has a Metallica, so I had him test both boards on the Metallica and both of them work for both optos on the Metallica.

So, 2 boards acting differently in Lost in Space and both work fully in Metallica.
I'm not sure what I'm missing here, and he is 8 hours from me, so it makes it tough for me to troubleshoot it myself. Any insight or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

#3 9 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I didn't get to the point yet of testing wires just yet with him. I was mostly confused why I was seeing different outcomes with two separate boards which both tested the same in metallica. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that. But going to the wire and boards will be next, just tough to do when you aren't there in person.

#4 9 years ago

Any additional input from anyone before I have him start tracing wire connections from the board to the connectors?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 149.00
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 12.95
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider McSirTuna.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/troubleshooting-help-opto-trough-board-segastern?tu=McSirTuna and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.