(Topic ID: 215166)

Troubleshooting DESW Switch column

By Ollulanus

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ollulanus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Ok, first pinball, first board problem, teaching myself circuit diagnostics from scratch, so bear with me

I have a full column failure in the switch matrix of my DE Star Wars, specifically the one driving the slings, pops, and the death star gate. I have verified continuity from the board to playfield wiring on the column with my DMM, and power is not the issue as the pops/slings will fire in diagnostics mode. I'm 99% sure it is a problem on the board.

Hooked up the logic probe. Each drive circuit runs through a resistor into the NPN transistor and out to the board. All the wires into the resistors are pulsing, so I'm taking that to mean everything is good upstream. The bad column is reading high at the wire out of the resistor, and the drive column resistors all read low. This makes intuitive sense to me - bad resistor, replace and move on?

Thanks for reading, new to this and just want to make sure I'm understanding things correctly!

#3 6 years ago

Replaced the resistor, column is down

Checked voltage with the DMM in the circuit....it's higher than the others going into the resistor (about .5 volts on the good columns, .75 on this one). The really strange thing is that the downstream end of the resistor is running WAY high...about 3.5V. doesn't make sense to me why I'd read HIGHER voltage past the resistor...

Is there any way a bad transistor could mess with the voltage UPSTREAM from it? Or, should I just focus on the slightly high voltage going into the resistor and presume that the problem is upstream? There's a buffer chip between the logic chip and the resistor, not sure how to test that though. There is also a capacitor downstream from the transistor - any way that could be an issue?

I'll probably try swapping the transistor since I have some, but I'm very interestedim getting a better understanding of what I'm seeing if anyone can help...

2 months later
#4 5 years ago

Just FYI, it was the transistor. Replaced and worked like a charm. After looking back at the circuit diagram it made more sense.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ollulanus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/troubleshooting-desw-switch-column?tu=ollulanus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.