(Topic ID: 226453)

Troubleshooting coin door shock - Without getting shocked?

By Mahoyvan

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by sbmania
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3E9D2A9A-89C6-4D8E-B916-AE6DBE6FE9EB (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

I just set up my Ice Revue after taking it out of storage, and when I went to start a game I got shocked. Which wasn't too bad...

After doing some research I checked the switch on the door to make sure the fish paper was lined up properly - I basically tried to get everything stacked squarely, which got rid of the shocks.

Now I'm making room for Deadpool to come in so I moved it across the room to a new outlet (which tested Good), and I'm getting shocked again. Thing is, the coin door switch looks like everything is lined up square... I can fiddle with it more, but, is there a way that I can test to make sure everything is aligned properly without playing a game of Touch The Door?!

#2 5 years ago

You could use a multimeter tied to ground to see if voltage is going to the door instead of touching it.

#3 5 years ago

Continuity test right!? Gonna giver a shot, thanks!

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Mahoyvan:

Continuity test right!? Gonna giver a shot, thanks!

Voltage test. But you already know voltage is going to the door. What you don't know is where it's coming from or how much voltage. Test it to determine how much voltage and what kind.

When you fix the problem, properly ground your game so stray voltage goes to ground like it should, rather than into the person touching the game.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Voltage test. But you already know voltage is going to the door. What you don't know is where it's coming from or how much voltage. Test it to determine how much voltage and what kind.
When you fix the problem, properly ground your game so stray voltage goes to ground like it should, rather than into the person touching the game.

It's most likely 115V from the start relay and it's shorting at the credit button or on the coin switches. They need to be replaced/rebuilt/adjusted. There are a few other possibilities, but this is the most likely reason based on OP's post. Moving it slightly misadjusted the insulation

#7 5 years ago

Start with one of these.

3E9D2A9A-89C6-4D8E-B916-AE6DBE6FE9EB (resized).jpeg3E9D2A9A-89C6-4D8E-B916-AE6DBE6FE9EB (resized).jpeg
#8 5 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I agree with the safety aspect of having voltage go elsewhere, but is it that common to just ignore that something is going to ground that probably shouldn't be?

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I agree with the safety aspect of having voltage go elsewhere, but is it that common to just ignore that something is going to ground that probably shouldn't be?

The problem should be fixed, not ignored. Properly grounding the game will not fix Mahoyvan 's problem. I did not mean to imply that it would. It will prevent someone getting a shock when touching the game.

Same issue with the GFCI outlet tester suggested above. That does nothing to solve the problem of voltage going somewhere it should not be going. It renders that stray voltage mostly harmless when the game and outlet (and house) are all properly grounded.

#11 5 years ago

Thanks guys, I gotter solved!

The fish paper was in great shape, but the very first tab on the credit switch was touching the back of the door ever so slightly.

Good to have me check over everything else, I need to learn the ropes...

Going to tackle grounding everything next.

#12 5 years ago

Don't touch the door, don't touch the door, DON'T TOUCH THE DOOR...

#13 5 years ago

Something I recommend for safety is a Ground Fault outlet, breaker, or power strip. That outlet most bathrooms have with a Test button detects if power is leaving the normal system and routing through your body, and turns itself off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device

#14 5 years ago

I usually cut the 110v wires from the front door tilt switch, reconnect them well inside the cabinet, and shrink wrap them so no shock is possible. Stupid to have 110 so close to a metal door just for a tilt switch in a home environment!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/troubleshooting-coin-door-shock-without-getting-shocked?hl=erak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.