(Topic ID: 211131)

Troubleshooting Captain Fantastic Bonus Scoring Issue

By MarcBollinger

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

#1 6 years ago

Hey all,

First post, happy to be here. I've been a pinball enthusiast for many years, but have never owned a machine until recently. I was gifted a Captain Fantastic, that is in fair shape, but something I will slowly work on.

Excluding the usual maintenance items (rubbers, flippers, ball, etc.), it's in great shape.

OK, on to the issue I'm having.

The game will keep scoring correctly DURING PLAY, but during the bonus tally, it seems to go completely overboard with the amount of points, especially when A+B are lit for the double bonus. I've easily had 100,000 bonus points at the end of a ball play. Based on what I know of the game and what I've seen, and knowing the top score (on modified) is 199,990, there appears to be something wrong.

Any suggestions on where to look?

I appreciate any help or pointing me in the right direction. Thanks all!

Marc

#2 6 years ago

welcome to Pinside:

I am assuming you have the EM version of the game Capt. Fantastic and The Brown Dirt Cowboy if so I'd suspect the "Bonus stepper unit"

dos it count down to zero with the lights & keep scoring or does it stay on a high number and keep scoring ?

if high number might be gummed up and need to be cleaned and "super lubed"

if counts down to zero and keeps scoring , it might be the "zero switch" contacts need cleaning and adjusting

there is an "EM section" to these forums as well if that's the game you have https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/forum/tech-em

#3 6 years ago

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.

Yes, this is the EM version of the game.

Let's say that the 10,000 is lit for the bonus and double-bonus is not lit. It will start to count down from 10,000, but sometimes it will get stuck on say 6,000 and give me about 40,000 points.

I haven't played a working version of this pin to know for sure on how the bonus is supposed to add up (and the manual doesn't go into details), but based on the games I've played in the past, If it's at 10,000, I should get a total of 10,000 points, or 20,000 if it's double bonus. Is that correct?

Oh, and thanks for the heads up on the tech em forum, I should have posted it here.

Marc

#4 6 years ago

yeah sounds like a disassembly - cleaning and proper lubrication is needed to start

some great info here http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#steps about all the various stepper units and cleaning guides

also good clean contacts that energize the step down coil helps

yeah generally what ever the bonus is shown is what should be awarded ( my brothers bonus on Capt. Fantastic and The Brown Dirt Cowboy actually doesn't score enough ) and there are problems with bent pawls I need to swap out someday)

#5 6 years ago

Yeah, it's certainly the stepper unit - took a video, it clearly isn't properly rotating.

Gonna take it apart tomorrow, clean and lubricate.

Thanks for the help!

#6 6 years ago

Well, I took it apart, cleaned it and lubricated both the wheel and the Solenoid, but it's still happening. However, I did learn something in the process.

If I manually fire the selenoid, even partially in, it will ALWAYS catch and move the stepper 1 step as expected. But, I just can't seem to explain why it gets stuck when the machine is doing it. Could the springs be loose? I was thinking maybe the teeth were too worn, but it catches 100% of the time when I manually fire it.

So odd - kind of out of ideas at this point.

Any ideas?

(By the way, this is fun - I enjoy troubleshooting issues like this, will be amazing once it's resolved.

Marc

P.S. Is there a way to move this thread to another forum topic?

#7 6 years ago

the plungers in coil sleeves are meant to run dry , lubrication there collects dirt and grime gumming up the works

cleaning & lubricating the wheel, is the spindle through the stepper unit that needs to be lightly lubed "Super Lube" brand or similar is recommended

I am not 100% sure where the "clock spring" first attaches and how many times you wind it around the hub (I did 3 times I think)

there is something in the Parts Manual that mentions how the reset pawl rests in the gear but can't quite figure it out myself http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/BLY_Parts_1976/index.html

the machine I was working on is at my brothers an hour and a half away from me right now

if you wish you can start another thread in the EM section and might be viewed by folks who generally only peruse that board

#8 6 years ago

You've been great man, I appreciate it. Yup, I'll start another thread there and see what we can find out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodhaven, MI
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

1,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charlottesville, VA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/troubleshooting-captain-fantastic-bonus-scoring-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.