Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by PittPin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I just completed my first playfield swap on The Addams Family. I was pleased to see the game light up and start a game on power up. No errors were reported. After running through some tests and a few games I found that all of the pop bumpers, sling kickers were not working. These are all on connector J127 and J107-2. I checked continuity from the J107-2 to each component. I found fuse F104 was blown. I replaced it and it immediately blew again. I did molex each of these components as part of the swap. Fairly confident I reconnected them correctly. All of the violet-orange wires to J107-2 are connected to each other through the connectors.
Could someone give me some suggestions on how to troubleshoot this short problem?

#2 4 years ago

All these coils don't have diodes. So you can't hook them up wrong. As long as violet-orange wires go to one spot on each coil and one side of each connector. 7 coils, easy to quick look make sure no wires are in the wrong place or mixed up.

Also easy to check if any of the coil lugs are shorting to metal.

Any other coils on that fuse ? If so check them too.

Then I would unplug J127 and try it. If fuse blows board issue. In not out in the game.

Then you might have to unhook them and hook each one back up one at a time, to see if you have a bad coil.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

I agree, try them all individually then start adding them back to the string one at a time until you have them all connected.

#4 4 years ago

I have to get a few more fuses then I'll start checking by removing J127. From what you wrote my understanding is that if the fuse blows with J127 off then I need to look at the board components, likely transistors? If not, then disconnect all of the coils and start adding them in one by one until I find which one is causing the problem. Correct? Is there away to check the coils with a meter. J127 also has the left magnet on it but it does not use the F104 fuse on the power driver board so I assume that could not be causing the problem.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from PittPin:

Is there away to check the coils with a meter.

Kind of, you'd need to lift one wire to do so from one of the lugs.

#6 4 years ago

I isolated the coil that was causing the fuse to blow. It was easy since I molexed them all during the playfield swap. Sometimes it just hard to troubleshoot DUMB! When I put the molex on the left sling I soldered both wires to the same lug. Now that is a SHORT. I am out of fuses and they should arrive shortly. I am fairly certain this will solve the problem with all seven coils.

#7 3 years ago

After correcting the short on the left flipper and replacing the 3A SB fuse I started a game. The left sling coil was stuck on and got warm. The fuse did not blow. I disconnected the left sling and the other components now work (right sling and the pop bumpers). So where do I begin to get the coil unstuck?

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from PittPin:

After correcting the short on the left flipper and replacing the 3A SB fuse I started a game. The left sling coil was stuck on and got warm. The fuse did not blow. I disconnected the left sling and the other components now work (right sling and the pop bumpers). So where do I begin to get the coil unstuck?

It could be a shorted transistor on the driver board. Look at the schematics to see which transistor drives the left sling.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from PittPin:

So where do I begin to get the coil unstuck?

Check the transistor that drives it to see if it is shorted.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Eric_S:

Look at the schematics to see which transistor drives the left sling.

The game will tell you too. Go to Tests - Coils - stop on left sling, then hit the start button then keep hitting the + diagnostic button. This steps you through coil, wires, connector, fuse, and transistor.

#11 3 years ago

What is the correct way to check if the transistor is shorted? Here is what I wrote down when researching this problem earlier
"For TP 102 place the black lead of DMM on the metal tab of the transistor. Probe each of the flanking leg with the red probe. .4 to .6 volts is normal.
Probe the center leg with the red probe. A short should be seen, if not the transistor failed." Anything else you would add to this? Does this adequately test for a shorted transistor?

"For 2N5401 put the black lead on the center leg and probe to the flanking legs looking for .4 to .6 volts."

1 week later
#12 3 years ago

I checked transistor Q48. .6v + to one leg but zero v to the other. The pre-driver 2N5401 tested okay. I replaced the TIP102 and hoped that the coil wasn't ruined as a result of the short. Once the driver transistor was installed the left sling fired and the game is good to go. I am pleasantly surprised that I did not have more problems to track down after an 18 month playfield swap.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 1,059.00
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 159.00
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/troubleshooting-a-short-on-taf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.